• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC E3 Demo Walkthrough - Mission + Boss

Dahbomb

He hasn't made any videos, he'll probably make a few once he gets back.

They mentioned that weapons power up as you perform better. Don't know if that's tied to the style ranking or not but that is certainly very interesting. I always felt there should be more direct rewards to getting high style ranks in DMC other than style points, DT meter and more red orbs.

SSS = Sensational

Seems like NT is more optimistic about the prospect of releasing the demo.

Gbraga

Hey cool Maximillian tried out DmC. Didn't know he was at E3 too.

They keep talking about how they don't wanna spoil the story and E3 is all about gameplay, then WHY THE HELL NOT RELEASING HIGH LEVEL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE??

Even though those two walkthroughs were highly informative and enjoyable, and the highest level E3 gameplay as well, he didn't even use jump cancelling once. In other words (I love yoooou) the best gameplay we have doesn't show a feature they talked about how important it is to be in the game on every single video.

They mentioned that weapons power up as you perform better. Don't know if that's tied to the style ranking or not but that is certainly very interesting. I always felt there should be more direct rewards to getting high style ranks in DMC other than style points, DT meter and more red orbs.

SSS = Sensational

Seems like NT is more optimistic about the prospect of releasing the demo.
You can see in other videos as well (not sure if the GameSpot demo or the Tameem interview demo) the Osiris getting more hitsparks as well, it's pretty interesting.

Aside from combat, seems like Ninja Theory will bring a lot of great things to the franchise. If it's at least enjoyable, they can make it remarkable on their sequel, who knows :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The animation being choppy has nothing to do with the framerate, there's like no blending between individual animations in the game at this point, it's weird.

So you played the PS3 version of DmC then? Is the framerate stable, were L2/R2 the buttons for angel/demon?
Framerate was ok. It was unlocked and even had the feel of 60fps at times. Like when looking straight up. Didn't drop too much but I'm not a fan of 30fps. L2 and R2 were indeed move modifiers. That's how you get the axe attack you need to shield smash. I didn't see a move list so maybe I missed the fancy stuff.

mandas

Neo Member
Framerate was ok. It was unlocked and even had the feel of 60fps at times. Like when looking straight up. Didn't drop too much but I'm not a fan of 30fps. L2 and R2 were indeed move modifiers. That's how you get the axe attack you need to shield smash. I didn't see a move list so maybe I missed the fancy stuff.

What do you mean when you say looking straight up? Anything else?

.la1n

They still have a good amount of development time left, I think the end product is going to be a great action game. It would be nice to have the normal line of DMC continue along side this "reboot" but this is Capcom we are talking about, if this is a runaway success they will just continue to churn them out. It's not all doom and gloom though, perhaps the next generation of hardware will be able to run this engine at 60fps and the team may even learn a thing or two in the process.

I'm a glass half full kind of person.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
IMO an unlocked framerate in an action game is actually pretty dangerous. They need to lock it.

Dahbomb

http://youtu.be/dir5ULi0glo

An interview with Motohide Eshiro and Alex Jones for DmC

He talk about the combat, story, etc - but also brings up the possibility of seeing sequels for this game, the original series, and maybe even both.
Good thing they haven't discounted the possibility of OG DMC sequels.

From all their interviews it really seems like this game is a litmus test. If it bombs, they might not make a DmC. If it does alright, they might let NT make DmC2 while also making DMC sequels. If it does gangbusters, they might shift all their focus on DmC2 and give it a bigger budget, more man power.

"Poison" looked more interesting than any of the garbage that populates DMC4, Credo excepted.
The amount of hyperbolic DMC4 trashing that happens in a DmC thread is hilarious sometimes. Berial was an amazing boss fight so was the Dante boss fight. The Echidna and frog boss battles were OK, about the caliber of this boss fight in terms of what the boss is able to do. Credo boss fight is easily top 5 boss fights in all action games. Poison only has like 4-5 moves showcased thus far which puts it at less moves than an average DMC4 boss and I have seen all the footage released thus far. Poison just has more presentation to it.

You know what's not fun? Going through the same shit ass levels and fighting the same goddamn bosses twice.

"Poison" looks more interesting than any of the garbage that populates DMC4, Credo excepted.

aside from complaints about DMC4's pretty crappy overall layout, which I agree is trash, the bosses that are in there are a lot fun and this does not look like it lives up to them.

ArjanN

I dunno about that. The Berial Fight on DMD mode was fantastic.

Yeah Berial was clearly more impressive.

It looked better than some of the DMC 3/4 bosses though. Like that giant centipede boss in DMC3 or the saviour endboss in 4.

They still have a good amount of development time left, I think the end product is going to be a great action game. It would be nice to have the normal line of DMC continue along side this "reboot" but this is Capcom we are talking about, if this is a runaway success they will just continue to churn them out. It's not all doom and gloom though, perhaps the next generation of hardware will be able to run this engine at 60fps and the team may even learn a thing or two in the process.

I'm a glass half full kind of person.

It's unreal engine. I'd be really surprised if the PC version didn't run perfectly fine.

UrbanRats

I've played only the first DMC, this didn't look like that but the video in the OP looked like a decent action game.
Too bad his "style" is so fucking annoying.. it could become hilariously bad (so bad it's good) though.

I've played only the first DMC, this didn't look like that but the video in the OP looked like a decent action game.
Too bad his "style" is so fucking annoying.. it could become hilariously bad (so bad it's good) though.
I don't mind the style. I see him as a member/fan of NiN back in the day. People have this weird complex where they judge everything if it's against what's expected, even if it can hold its own.

Alice: Madness Returns features an equally grungy, wise-cracking hero with a penchant for goth, noir, and doom and gloom and no one cried over that.

Oh right, because he's supposed to have parted, white hair, a red jacket and developed by Japanese developers. Only then should we be ok with the dialogue and style choice...

Yeah we were discussing the video in the other thread. Lots of new mechanics and moves shown in the video:

*Osiris and Arbiter have their own Stinger-like moves. Osiris has the wide arced lunge forward and Arbiter just throws out a projectile at long distance. They claim that it's done by doing forward, forward + Y with the corresponding stance trigger held down. The Arbiter projectile seemed to be done in the air too as he did it a bit later.

*Dodge is on 2 buttons (LB or RB). You can Dodge in any direction and also in any direction in the air but it's limited in range. You can also do an empty neutral air dodge which would probably help in maintaining distance while also evading attacks.

*You have double jump (Air Hike) and you also have the Angel Glide (basically Trickster Star Dash) done with LT + A. Don't know what the demon equivalent of that is.

*On top of the regular dodge, there are also Angel and Demon Dodge. Angel Dodge seems to be like a "phase" dodge that you can add on top of the regular dodge to cover great distances really quickly or do like a multi dash like an upgraded Trickster. The Demon Dodge can only be activated by timing the dodge with the enemy's attack and if you do it right it slows down time briefly. It at first looked like a shorter version of Witch Time but that's not the case, it seems to power up the demon weapon. More details once we learn more about both of these dodges. Dodges are done with Dodge button + the Triggers.

*Whenever you do a pause/delay type combo, the weapon charges up visually indicating that you have paused long enough and are able to do the second combo now.

*You can Parry enemy and boss attacks. Parrying the boss attack caused it to expose its head which allowed Dante to pull it so he can combo it with relative ease. Parry shows up in your style meter ranking.

*When you reach S ranks or higher, the combat apparently speeds up but it's hard to gauge from footage. Music also pumps up and gains more instruments etc.

*HUD is not finalized.

*Devil Trigger is on L3 + R3. Launches enemies and slows down time while also giving damage boost, probably speed boost and health regeneration. In addition, comboing while in mid air extends the timer.

*Double tapping the Angel/Demon Whip attacks (RT/LT + X) causes a close quarter attack like either a Kick or an upper cut in mid air. The uppercut move is useful to propel enemies even higher but there is a maximum ceiling to the height of combos (a bit lower than the max height in the DMC games).

*There are no Taunts in the game because of narrative reasons

Yeah, I dunno if already posted, but there is also a walkthrough video with Tameem Antoniades explaining many things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edFg9-mUDEw&t

If you are interested about the hard lock, in this part of the video the developer explains why there is no hard lock on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edFg9-mUDEw&t=6m40s

And, very interestingly, at 15.40 the developer hints about the presence of Virgil in the game...he says something like "well, about Virgil, we can't say anything about this", and then "there will be characters from the series that will be on the game".

From all their interviews it really seems like this game is a litmus test. If it bombs, they might not make a DmC. If it does alright, they might let NT make DmC2 while also making DMC sequels. If it does gangbusters, they might shift all their focus on DmC2 and give it a bigger budget, more man power.

The amount of hyperbolic DMC4 trashing that happens in a DmC thread is hilarious sometimes. Berial was an amazing boss fight so was the Dante boss fight. The Echidna and frog boss battles were OK, about the caliber of this boss fight in terms of what the boss is able to do. Credo boss fight is easily top 5 boss fights in all action games. Poison only has like 4-5 moves showcased thus far which puts it at less moves than an average DMC4 boss and I have seen all the footage released thus far. Poison just has more presentation to it.

Nicchae and Ishtaros
Doku and Marbus
Fiend Ryu
Alma
Murai

The Lamp

I just love GAF... game looks just like it always has.... yet suddenly everyone's run out of crap to talk about Ninja Theory so all of a sudden it's acceptable to like it.

Certainly there's nothing markedly different to this and what we have been shown before.

Yea it looks like a continuation of what they've been showing since they revealed it. Ive always thought it looked interesting. Then again, I've never played DMC series before.

Dahbomb

Tameem said something that I liked and hopefully they stick to it. He said that the game is balanced around the hardest difficulty and then they make the easier difficulties. This is pretty much the case with all main DMC games, they are all balanced around DMD mode where the real game actually begins. Every mode before is just training to get you up to DMD skill and power level.

I also like how the weapons start to power up mid combat like the Osiris if it starts hitting multiple targets and you have more style rank it starts to get stronger.

Gbraga

The Osiris looks wonderful when it's charged. I hope the feature where the game gets faster when you reach S Rank gets into the final game, even if they do add Turbo Mode.

It's a really nice mechanic, and the problem I had before with the ranks going up too fast would not be that much of a problem anymore, if you have to get to S to have the fight running at full speed, it would suck to kill every enemy before reaching DAT S

ezekial45

Banned

I can see this working out well for Capcom. The game is shaping up nicely, fans slowly but surely warming up to it, and NT has proven themselves to be competent with the brand. If it doesn't work out in sales, then they'll just go back to original series. No doubt they've been looking at ways to explore the brand, and having two entrees run simultaneously could do just that.

I'm very excited with seeing how it all turns out.

I liked the Berial boss fight, but it's not really that impressive in design. Hell, theres a video on YT of a guy beating him without touching the left analog stick. At the very least the Poison boss fight encourages you to keep moving.

ezekial45

Banned
Also, it looks like we're gonna see more of the game in a few weeks.

From Tim Phillips' twitter page
"Final session in the booth. Project officially over! Will announce in a few weeks"

media

Dahbomb

I liked the Berial boss fight, but it's not really that impressive in design. Hell, theres a video on YT of a guy beating him without touching the left analog stick. At the very least the Poison boss fight encourages you to keep moving.
I haven't seen that video but I can do that too if you stay airborne which is harder than doing it on the ground and moving around. And there is no evidence to suggest that you don't need to move around in DmC's boss video to kill her either (aside from possibly the spots where you have to trigger events). You can stay airborne against her acid spray and parry all her physical attacks while using the grapple or air glide to move within attacking distance which is all aided by soft lock on. I bet I can even take on entire mobs without using the stick because of the soft lock on nature of the game.

Using the left analog is just one of the mobility options for the character in a DMC game. Between teleports, air dash, grapples, Stingers, rolls, parries and gun floats there are enough mobility options to tackle a boss fight at whatever pace or difficulty you want.

yurinka

Looks pretty, the combat seems ok and it doesn't show the horrible FPS/tearing I was expecting. I'm interested on it.

ArjanN

He has an Alpha Protocol avatar. I think a game disc would need to literally explode out of the console and sever a limb before he'd doubt the studio.

Alpha Protocol is a great game despite it's technical problems, so that argument doesn't really mean much.

mandas

Neo Member
Glad I'm not the only one to notice it. It's kinda cringeworthy after awhile.

I don't remember the bleeping out of bad language being so bad last year.

I just returned from the CU board. It looks like one of the mods on CU is discussing their impressions of DmC demo as he saw it during his plays of it and he will add more later. Am I allowed to post his impressions? They are not that glowing.

ezekial45

Banned
I haven't seen that video but I can do that too if you stay airborne which is harder than doing it on the ground and moving around. And there is no evidence to suggest that you don't need to move around in DmC's boss video to kill her either (aside from possibly the spots where you have to trigger events). You can stay airborne against her acid spray and parry all her physical attacks while using the grapple or air glide to move within attacking distance which is all aided by soft lock on. I bet I can even take on entire mobs without using the stick because of the soft lock on nature of the game.

Using the left analog is just one of the mobility options for the character in a DMC game. Between teleports, air dash, grapples, Stingers, rolls, parries and gun floats there are enough mobility options to tackle a boss fight at whatever pace or difficulty you want.

Here's a video of the guy beating the boss nodes in Mission 19 on DMD mode without moving. Obviously he has to move to get to these nodes, but he doesn't during the fights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CONKV8uP4Lg

UrbanRats

I don't mind the style. I see him as a member/fan of NiN back in the day. People have this weird complex where they judge everything if it's against what's expected, even if it can hold its own.

Alice: Madness Returns features an equally grungy, wise-cracking hero with a penchant for goth, noir, and doom and gloom and no one cried over that.

Oh right, because he's supposed to have parted, white hair, a red jacket and developed by Japanese developers. Only then should we be ok with the dialogue and style choice...

Uhm, no as i said i only played DMC1 so it's not like a give a shit about Dante or DMC's lore.
I just don't like his schtick, seems like it's something like the Saint's Row level of superficiality, but taking itself seriously (which is the problem) with the jabs at O'Reilly and such.

mandas

Neo Member

Carbonox

Not surprised by the feedback on the lack of a lock-on. That will forever stick out like a sore thumb where this game is concerned.

I just read a walkthrough on Capcom Unity's page from one of the forum moderators that played the demo and jotted down the moveset and impressions of the demo. They did a little Q & A along with it and he will still answer questions it sounds like.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/devil_m...ist_and_Gameplay_BreakdownDiscussion_and_FAQs

yowch that soft lock on doesn't sound like it's doing anyone any favors. Maybe that's why the doge has to make you all but invincible.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

. . .

What? I'm okay with a variety of different art styles, directions and development choices. This character wasn't just unexpected, it's also downright laughable.

"But you can call me Dante the demon killer, has a nice ring to it don't you think?"

"fuck you!"
"fuck you!"
"fuck you!"

yeah. no red jacket and parted hair is gonna save that trainwreck.

Gbraga

What really bothers me is how when people get the chance to directly ask questions, through interviews or even on the live stream, they only ask stupid questions and things we already know.

We've been wondering how you do Stinger and Drive for a while, and we only know because the guy who did the walkthrough wanted to show.

Dahbomb

Here's a video of the guy beating the boss nodes in Mission 19 on DMD mode without moving. Obviously he has to move to get to these nodes, but he doesn't during the fights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CONKV8uP4Lg
So he used items and was getting hit...

LMAO HAHAHAHAAHAHA... this video is a joke.

I just read a walkthrough on Capcom Unity's page from one of the forum moderators that played the demo and jotted down the moveset and impressions of the demo. They did a little Q & A along with it and he will still answer questions it sounds like.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/devil_m...ist_and_Gameplay_BreakdownDiscussion_and_FAQs

and more in this thread:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/devil_m...demo_part_and_commentary_with_Greg_and_Tameem Go to page 8. The rest is pointless.
FINALLY some indepth impressions.

Gbraga

So he used items and was getting hit...

LMAO HAHAHAHAAHAHA... this video is a joke.

You're judging the video too quick, if you read the descrpition, he says that he wanted to show that the game was too forgiving and trivial with items, not that he was so skilled he didn't needed to move.

Dahbomb

The point isn't to just "beat" DMC4, the game is not that hard and it never was even on DMD. The point is to rack up as much stylish points in as quick of a succession as possible without getting hit or using items. How for you can take the boss fight and your combat mechanics is the true essence of DMC.

If he had made a video showing he could rack up immense style points and place in leaderboards for a boss fight without using the left analog stick and using items... then he might have a point.

I can beat the entirety of the bosses in DMC1 using Untouchable items and literally close my eyes plus mash away. That doesn't tell me anything about the depth or the mechanics of the boss fight.

Back to the impressions:

The vibrating feature is interesting, nice use of that technology.

The dodge invincibility frames are absurd, that shit needs to be nerfed.

You're judging the video too quick, if you read the descrpition, he says that he wanted to show that the game was too forgiving and trivial with items, not that he was so skilled he didn't needed to move.

It's not the video, it's the claim that DMC4 could be played with with only one analog - implying that the design was so bad the game could easily played on a meaningful level with skills

But really it ends up being using Devil Trigger and items indiscriminately.

Gbraga

The point isn't to just "beat" DMC4, the game is not that hard and it never was even on DMD. The point is to rack up as much stylish points in as quick of a succession as possible without getting hit or using items. How for you can take the boss fight and your combat mechanics is the true essence of DMC.

If he had made a video showing he could rack up immense style points and place in leaderboards for a boss fight without using the left analog stick and using items... then he might have a point.

He didn't said it was, read the damn description lol

He said people were saying the game wasn't too easy even with items, and he was trying to prove it is. That's all. He wasn't saying THAT'S HOW YOU PLAY DMC GUYS!!!

About the Capcom-Unity hands on, they really should make the dodge less invincible, the grapples already seem to make the game too easy, we don't really need an almost fully invincible dodge as well lol

It's not the video, it's the claim that DMC4 could be played with with only one analog - implying that the design was so bad the game could easily played on a meaningful level with skills

But really it ends up being using Devil Trigger and items indiscriminately.

I fail to see that when he literally wrote "this video is a joke"

Items are effectively self-imposed cheat codes in the DMC games (and Bayonetta). They pretty much nullify your score - they do everything they can to say "hey don't use these".

Top Bottom