• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC E3 Demo Walkthrough - Mission + Boss

Carbonox

Yeah I noticed the white hair too along with other DMC fans who looked closely.

He is also wearing a blue shirt underneath the black trenchcoat. There is a blue symbol on his left white armband, probably the symbol of the Order.

Didn't notice the blue shirt but at least they're aiming to make this particular character more familiar for us. I'd imagine Dante will be too by the end of the game.

You something I find funny about GAF sometimes, is that they cry for games to evolve or do something new but when changes (good or bad) are made they say oh that's not <insert franchise here>. So you want change as long as it doesn't effect what you like?

Just a observation. I'll let a demo or impressions of a full game do the talking for this game as Ninja Theory's games so far look pretty damn sweet until you actually play the final game.

Also "you guys want to hate this game"...lol.

You something I find funny about GAF sometimes, is that they cry for games to evolve or do something new but when changes (good or bad) are made they say oh that's not <insert franchise here>. So you want change as long as it doesn't effect what you like?

Just a observation. I'll let a demo or impressions of a full game do the talking for this game as Ninja Theory's games so far look pretty damn sweet until you actually play the final game.

Make a new IP.

Boom. Post invalidated.

GAF isn't one person.

Haliela

These combo heavy hack 'n slash games aren't for me. It looks cool, but not my cup of tea. I love Ninja Theory as they made one of my favorite games this generation (Enslaved).

Carbonox

Lovely ignorance being displayed in this post. You're obviously taking the hate this game received at face value and not really researching in to exactly what many of the legit concerns were/are.

This was the change that DMC fans didn't ask for and for the most part completely deviates from DMC's foundation rather than evolving it.

And no it's not DMC fans fear change - the franchise has gone through many changes.

Maybe it will turn out to be good or for the better. But I would hardly call this iteration an evolution, especially once you look beyond the pretty colors

And a lot of people do say this should've been a new IP rather than claiming to inherit DMC's torch

Satch

Banned

I actually highly doubt that the above is truly, honestly, sincerely the case with this game. And I have hope that you truly, honestly, sincerely don't believe what you typed.

As a general rule, franchises come with expectations, and if the developers don't want the baggage, they shouldn't use the name.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I find it funny how many posts lately have been "lol GAF"... not only in this thread, but in every goddamn thread on the front page. Christ, you people do realize that you're ON GAF, right? That you comprise a subset of the site? It's become really silly how every member of GAF seems to generalize GAF as "those people".

Sorry about that tangent. Anyway, no one is claiming that change is bad, but what we're seeing is a step backwards... accomodations being made where they shouldn't and the compromise of core features of a well established franchise.

Elginer

Damn this game looks crisp and they still have time to polish so I think this is gonna be pretty damn good.

Poor choice of words.

Obviously it's not all of gaf but it's just weird to see people call for changes and then when changes happen to their favorite games, they pull out the this is not my game. Not even saying that's bad, Hell if they gave Sonic a gun I would too be upset even if it worked (.......bad...memories....flowing...baaaaack). Just a funny observation.

That's all.

Hell I think I said in previous threads that this should have been AngelMightWeep or something.

Sorry for taking the thread of topic. I didn't mean to put everyone in the same bucket.

I am apathetic towards this game overall, but I think some things looks pretty cool. I would like people to atleast give it a chance before they condemn it though.

The impressions seem to be positive...

Dahbomb

Didn't notice the blue shirt but at least they're aiming to make this particular character more familiar for us. I'd imagine Dante will be too by the end of the game.
I am 90% sure that by the end of the game Dante will have all white hair and probably a redder jacket. When you are playing him in DT mode it looks VERY close to being original Dante (in fact for practical purpose it IS OG Dante). The character development of Dante in the game is something I look forward to in the story when at the end you are a full bad ass OG Dante.

And why are you guys feeding the troll? Everyone has a different opinion on the game, from the casuals to hardcore DMC fans and even then some people will like certain aspects and dislike others.

And hey at least it's not Ninja Gaiden 3...

right?

I am 90% sure that by the end of the game Dante will have all white hair and probably a redder jacket. When you are playing him in DT mode it looks VERY close to being original Dante (in fact for practical purpose it IS OG Dante).

And why are you guys feeding the troll? \

I'm not trying to troll, bro. Just making an observation. Sorry If I offended anyone.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Poor choice of words.

Obviously it's not all of gaf but it's just weird to see people call for changes and then when changes happen to their favorite games, they pull out the this is not my game. Not even saying that's bad, Hell if they gave Sonic a gun I would too be upset even if it worked (.......bad...memories....flowing...baaaaack). Just a funny observation.

That's all.

Hell I think I said in previous threads that this should have been AngelMightWeep or something.

Sorry for taking the thread of topic. I didn't mean to put everyone in the same bucket.

I am apathetic towards this game overall, but I think some things looks pretty cool. I would like people to atleast give it a chance before they condemn it though.

The impressions seem to be positive...

Look, I understand where people are coming from when they say "give it a chance" or "don't judge it until you've played it", but here's the reality: by the time someone has the game in their hands, and they decided to not complain and give the benefit of the doubt to the developers, they're now the proud owners of a shitty game that can't be fixed. What's more, they've funded more shitty games being made.

Of course, we don't know if DmC will be shitty or not yet (for certain), but it's silly to say that people shouldn't judge and criticize pre-release footage. Complaining gets stuff done.

Arklite

Well I think it's safe to say now that Ninja Theory has outdone themselves and the crow is ready to be served.

I'd hold off on all that until the public at large gets some hands on. NT has always delivered the production values to make a game "look" good but has not backed it with gameplay that has ever lived up to what they emulate. All show with limited substance, at least up to now.

mr_nothin

Banned
This was the change that DMC fans didn't ask for and for the most part completely deviates from DMC's foundation rather than evolving it.

And no it's not DMC fans fear change - the franchise has gone through many changes.

Maybe it will turn out to be good or for the better. But I would hardly call this iteration an evolution, especially once you look beyond the pretty colors

And a lot of people do say this should've been a new IP rather than claiming to inherit DMC's torch

And what "DMC fans" dont seem to get is that this IS a deviation from the traditional DMC foundation. It's a reboot...it's not meant to evolve the game; its taking a different direction whether you asked for it or not.

Gbraga

Oh please. If Ninja Theory actually received legitimate death threats, they would have contacted the authorities instead of mentioning it in passing to a game "journalist". Tameem probably considered all the internet memes as death threats. It's the internet. "Death threats" are a dime a dozen.

I find it a strange coincidence that the most universal of complaints regarding the character design were changed in the next iteration after the initial trailer. Pretty convenient, but you can believe what you want.

In any case, go ahead and completely ignore the actual constructive criticism that came from the community... most of it was dripping with ire, but still promoted change to the title.

To be fair, they changed him to match his actor, probably didn't have an actor in the first trailer.

What may be a result from feedback is when they changed his hair from E3 2011 to TGS 2012.

sn00zer

Well since it appears that Team Ninja has learned to make a decent action game at the very least ....Im very excited how this will effect their future IPs

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And what "DMC fans" dont seem to get is that this IS a deviation from the traditional DMC foundation. It's a reboot...it's not meant to evolve the game. Its taking a different directions whether you asked for it or not.

Exactly. If it were supposed to be an evolution, it would be called 'Devil May Cry 5' as Lost Planet 3 is called Lost Planet 3 and Dead Rising 2 was called Dead Rising 2.

And what DMC fans dont seem to get is that this IS a deviation from the traditional DMC foundation. It's a reboot...it's not meant to evolve the game. Its taking a different directions whether you asked for it or not.

Be that as it may, creating a game based on the series, using it's signature characters, weapons, moves, and game design philosophies, it simply cannot avoid comparison, unless you're a master of avoiding cognitive dissonance. And in many ways, it doesn't match up, or changes are implemented that fans think create a worse title.

And what "DMC fans" dont seem to get is that this IS a deviation from the traditional DMC foundation. It's a reboot...it's not meant to evolve the game; its taking a different direction whether you asked for it or not.

The whole purpose of this reboot was to enliven a supposedly stale franchise. Tell me exactly that needed the deviation and exactly how this deviation is for the better?

It is a different and unnecessary deviation

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Well, let's not pretend that reboot automatically means a deviation from the traditional foundation. Mortal Kombat was a reboot, but was technically a "return to form". Tomb Raider is a reboot, but appears to maintain the most important elements of wilderness and survivability and expand those into the spotlight.

mr_nothin

Banned
Well, let's not pretend that reboot automatically means a deviation from the traditional foundation. Mortal Kombat was a reboot, but was technically a "return to form". Tomb Raider is a reboot, but appears to maintain the most important elements of wilderness and survivability and expand those into the spotlight.
But I didnt say a reboot automatically means a deviation from the traditional FOUNDATION. However, a reboot can & does automatically mean a deviation from what has previously been the norm. Mortal Kombat might have been a "return to form" but it could still be considered a reboot because the past 4 Mortal Kombats have not been what MK used to be. It was a reboot in a sense that the past 4+ titles were nothing like the original games and they rebooted the game to make it so.

Be that as it may, creating a game based on the series, using it's signature characters, weapons, moves, and game design philosophies, it simply cannot avoid comparison, unless you're a master of avoiding cognitive dissonance. And in many ways, it doesn't match up, or changes are implemented that fans think create a worse title.
Reboots have similarities. A reboot doesnt mean you completely wipe everything and start over. Yes, you still need to have some of the same characters, weapons, etc...otherwise it might as well be a new IP. It's a new take on the same universe...hense REBOOT.

The whole purpose of this reboot was to enliven a supposedly stale franchise. Tell me exactly that needed the deviation and exactly how this deviation is for the better?

It is a different and unnecessary deviation
You might not have personally thought it needed a reboot but the game was on it's 4th game already. I personally thought it did need a reboot. It was getting tiresome, but thats just me.
It might be different an unnecessary but that's all justified because they came out and said the game was a reboot when it was 1st announced. It's not like they tricked anybody in the process.

You might not have personally thought it needed a reboot but the game was on it's 4th game already. I personally thought it did need a reboot. It was getting tiresome, but thats just me.

I know. A lot of people here agree too that the reboot is refreshing. I don't see it that way because really DMC4 is the second game to DMC's new, freestyle stylish action, and it was hampered by both being the first HD entry and it was rushed. I personally would have like to see what was planned for DMC4 and its story panned out, then entertain the possibility of a reboot. And I get annoyed because instead of that the funding goes to something completely different.

And recently it's confirmed that Capcom wants to take the reboot route for the franchise, which means the old canon and characters will no longer be further developed. Forever lost

Reboots have similarities. A reboot doesnt mean you completely wipe everything and start over. Yes, you still need to have some of the same characters, weapons, etc...otherwise it might as well be a new IP. It's a new take on the same universe...hense REBOOT.

You make a new entry in a series, you're gonna be compared to the other entries in the series. Prequel, sequel, reboot, next issue of a comic book, latest episode of the latest season of your favorite TV show, E3 presentations, NBA seasons, meals at a restaurant, everything. Whether you're aware of it or not. You analyze what you're seeing/consuming and you articulate what you like or didn't like about it, often comparing it to previous experiences you had. "Wasn't as good as the first movie" "Best one yet!" "Did you do something with the sauce? Spicier then it used to be" "We're never getting into the damn playoffs again :/". This happens everywhere, all the time, constantly. It's human nature.

A reboot is still another entry in the series. It will be compared to other entries in the series. Some fans do it favorably(Ezekiel just can't seem to get enough of it and updates us whenever NT lets a fart that sounds like DmC info), others do not. We are reacting to changes in a new entry to something we are a fan of. Being a reboot does not exempt it from criticism, like the 30 fps, inferior animations or the character design.

Decado

Need to see a direct feed trailer of challenging gameplay before getting hyped, but this is looking better than I expected.

I would have been completely okay with this game and it's direction if it didn't feel like it came at the cost of the original series. Like if this game wasn't related to DMC at all, I'd probably love it. But now I know it's going to YEARS before we see a DMC5, IF AT ALL. I'm also worried that if this doesn't end up selling well that Capcom will take the franchise and shelf it due to "lack of interest".

Also as far as this being an "evolution to the series", I honestly feel like that was Bayonetta. I mean I could be waaaayyy off here, but I feel that Hideki really did improve on his own formula with it.

mr_nothin

Banned
You make a new entry in a series, you're gonna be compared to the other entries in the series. Prequel, sequel, reboot, next issue of a comic book, latest episode of the latest season of your favorite TV show, E3 presentations, NBA seasons, meals at a restaurant, everything. Whether you're aware of it or not. You analyze what you're seeing/consuming and you articulate what you like or didn't like about it, often comparing it to previous experiences you had. "Wasn't as good as the first movie" "Best one yet!" "Did you do something with the sauce? Spicier then it used to be" "We're never getting into the damn playoffs again :/". This happens everywhere, all the time, constantly. It's human nature.

A reboot is still another entry in the series. It will be compared to other entries in the series. Some fans do it favorably(Ezekiel just can't seem to get enough of it and updates us whenever NT lets a fart that sounds like DmC info), others do not. We are reacting to changes in a new entry to something we are a fan of. Being a reboot does not exempt it from criticism, like the 30 fps or the character design.
I'm not saying that it's exempt from being criticized though. I've had my reservations about the game too but it looked refreshing so I thought I'd give it a chance.
I was responding to the guy that said that DMC fans didnt ask for these changes and that it deviates from the foundation of DMC. I was just letting him know that, that was the whole point of rebooting DMC.

Also, there's a fundamental difference between a "prequel/sequel/next entry/next chapter" and a "reboot". All of former are continuations...a reboot is a disruptive change.

sn00zer

I really hope this experiment works, because while I would have preferred DMC5 this looks to be pretty damn cool....I can think of a ton of series that could/should go through a similar reboot/rethinking of a franchise

Dahbomb

Of course it is a deviation... the problem is that Capcom/NT still hypes it up as having the DMC DNA in every press release they put out. They want the hardcores playing and buying the game, there is no denying it.

Most DMC fans don't really have a problem with this game being some sort of spin off/alternate universe type game, they have a problem when Capcom/NT says it plays like a DMC game and has the DMC DNA when it doesn't even have specific DMC mechanics and features that make a DMC game like hard lock on. It's like having a COD game without iron sight view.

There is another issue with this game is that a lot of hints are made towards this game replacing the main series. I don't know how much weight that has but it has a lot of fans worried.

I was responding to the guy that said that DMC fans didnt ask for these changes and that it deviates from the foundation of DMC. I was just letting him know that, that was the whole point of rebooting DMC.

Right, and he doesn't like the idea of a reboot, much like I never need to see a sequel to Gladiator or how the concept of Star Wars prequels always seemed like it do more harm then good(and the execution pretty much confirmed that). That doesn't mean the SW prequels couldn't have been great, but taken in the context of what it does to your favorite series, I felt a negative perception to it right off the bat.

The guy's feelings aren't really that out of the ordinary, or all that crazy.

Dahbomb

is there a lock-on button?
No there isn't. RB/LB are both Evade buttons and LT/RT are Angel/Demon form triggers respectively.

Stinger like moves are performed with forward, forward + Y. Hightime moves are just mapped to B (hold B to rise).

I'm gonna predict that it'll be great for a Ninja Theory game, bad/mediocre for DMC fans.

This doesn't look as bad as I thought, but I've been playing DMC4 lately and the potential for DMC5 was pretty good, imo. This still feels like a needless reboot and I'm not sure if they're gonna reach their goal of expanding DMC's audience by making it more casual and story focused.

At this point, I'm just expecting a solid-if-unspectacular action title with a solid, 30fps. I can at least get that, right? A downgrade from DMC3 and (to a lesser extent) DMC4, but whatever. I think anything above that is fooling myself.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I would have been completely okay with this game and it's direction if it didn't feel like it came at the cost of the original series. Like if this game wasn't related to DMC at all, I'd probably love it. But now I know it's going to YEARS before we see a DMC5, IF AT ALL. I'm also worried that if this doesn't end up selling well that Capcom will take the franchise and shelf it due to "lack of interest".

Also as far as this being an "evolution to the series", I honestly feel like that was Bayonetta. I mean I could be waaaayyy off here, but I feel that Hideki really did improve on his own formula with it.

Here's the crux of the issue. In another context, I could see myself potentially buying DmC. I've purchased and played far worse games in the past.

The problem is the price. No, not the $59.99. The price is the complete abandonment of the mainline series, which is far too expensive a cost for me. And maybe that price will be paid regardless, but I'd be entirely remiss if I didn't do whatever I could to save one of my favorite franchises of all time. I'd expect most to do the same for their favorites.

In an ideal world, ezekial45 would have DmC and the rest of us would have a DMC, but that's simply not going to happen. If this sells well, it'll be DmC from here on out. If this doesn't, then it might STILL be DmC from here on out, but maybe there's a chance for a return to form.

Dahbomb

My prediction is that it will be a good/decent game, probably the best NT has done. In terms of combat, it will be better than the average tier action games (like better than Darksiders, Dante's Inferno and NG3) but not as good as the top tier (DMC, Bayonetta). People who haven't played DMC game before will like it, some people who have played DMC before will also like it but some DMC fans won't. People who never liked the action genre aren't going to be swayed by this game much either, I mean it's going to have a lot of the same issues as a regular DMC game like bad camera, "douchebag" main character and linear level designs.

It will be a game a lot of people like but very few people actually love or stick to it for a long time. It will be a great rental for sure and a great pick up at a lower price. It can reach 2 million in sales and NT/Capcom will consider it a success that they can build upon. DMC fanbase will be splintered into those who prefer the DmC direction vs the OG DMC series (unless this game ends up being really bad).

Just some predictions thrown out. The hate has mostly subsided on the game, I mean there really isn't much they can reveal about the game that will change most people's opinion about it for the worse. The stuff they will reveal from now on should be good stuff as it's adding content to the game like new weapons which should be something to look forward.

Here's the crux of the issue. In another context, I could see myself potentially buying DmC. I've purchased and played far worse games in the past.

The problem is the price. No, not the $59.99. The price is the complete abandonment of the mainline series, which is far too expensive a cost for me. And maybe that price will be paid regardless, but I'd be entirely remiss if I didn't do whatever I could to save one of my favorite franchises of all time. I'd expect most to do the same for their favorites.

In an ideal world, ezekial45 would have DmC and the rest of us would have a DMC, but that's simply not going to happen. If this sells well, it'll be DmC from here on out. If this doesn't, then it might STILL be DmC from here on out, but maybe there's a chance for a return to form.

i can relate to this POV.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My prediction is that it will be a good/decent game, probably the best NT has done. In terms of combat, it will be better than the average tier action games (like better than Darksiders, Dante's Inferno and NG3) but not as good as the top tier (DMC, Bayonetta). People who haven't played DMC game before will like it, some people who have played DMC before will also like it but some DMC fans won't. People who never liked the action genre aren't going to be swayed by this game much either, I mean it's going to have a lot of the same issues as a regular DMC game like bad camera, "douchebag" main character and linear level designs.

It will be a game a lot of people like but very few people actually love or stick to it for a long time. It will be a great rental for sure and a great pick up at a lower price. It can reach 2 million in sales and NT/Capcom will consider it a success that they can build upon. DMC fanbase will be splintered into those who prefer the DmC direction vs the OG DMC series (unless this game ends up being really bad).

Just some predictions thrown out. The hate has mostly subsided on the game, I mean there really isn't much they can reveal about the game that will change most people's opinion about it for the worse. The stuff they will reveal from now on should be good stuff as it's adding content to the game like new weapons which should be something to look forward.
I played both. The combat is not better than NG3.

It kinda reminds me of when "One More Day" happened in 2007 for Amazing Spider-Man, where Spider-Man makes a deal with Mephisto/the devil to save Aunt May, trading away his marriage and this big magical semi-reboot happened. It was a terrible story with awful implications for our hero that he's never gonna shake off and it's effects are still in continuity(namely, everyone forgetting his secret identity except Mary-Jane). It was VERY derisive, and there's still plenty of fans today who refuse to look at new Spider-Man comics because of the reboot and it's awful concept/execution. That said, the comics themselves have been pretty good, with the current run by Dan Slott often called one of the best runs on the book in decades.

You just have to ask yourself if you're ok with accepting this reboot and supporting it with money to try and enjoy your favorite series. Personally, I'm kinda over both the OMD and DmC reboot implication for the series and judging the product as it is.

I played both. The combat is not better than NG3.

I find that hard to believe, considering what a repetitive, one-dimensional piece of shit that game's combat was.

Top Bottom