• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC agrees to give Sanders greater influence over party platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
DNC agrees to give Sanders greater influence over party platform

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/dnc-bernie-sanders-convention-2016-223477

Bernie Sanders will be able to claim more sway over the convention in July after the Democratic National Committee partially gave in to his demand for more control over the committee that writes the party's platform.

While DNC rules allow the chair to pick all 15 members of the national convention drafting committee, the organization struck a deal with the two campaigns so that Hillary Clinton will pick six members, Sanders will pick five, and DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz will appoint four, party officials confirmed.
Story Continued Below

It's short of what Sanders lobbied for — he wrote to Wasserman Schultz suggesting that each campaign pick seven members and that the final member be picked jointly by both campaigns — it's still progress for Sanders, who has had an especially rocky relationship with Wasserman Schultz.

The concession will give Sanders a greater say over the party's platform in July, which will give him a chance to inject his progressive policies in a more lasting way.

There we go. Hopefully this is a more agreeable concession for Sanders supporters.

Lock if old.

Means nothing for the #BernieOrBust folks unfortunately.

Well I think the majority of the supporters that are reasonable likely outnumber the busters.

The only way to have made them happy is if the superdelegates overruled the will of the voters and made Bernie the nominee.

Pay them no mind. They aren't worth listening to.

pigeon

Banned
This seems fine.

Since Hillary and the DNC between them still control 67% of the members, I doubt it will have literally any consequences, which makes it an excellent bargaining chip.

I hope this concession gets Bernie to turn down the "DNC is evil/Bern it down" rhetoric in his speeches.

They are really trying to meet him halfway here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's short of what Sanders lobbied for — he wrote to Wasserman Schultz suggesting that each campaign pick seven members and that the final member be picked jointly by both campaigns — it's still progress for Sanders, who has had an especially rocky relationship with Wasserman Schultz.
I'm surprised Bernie didn't argue that his losing campaign deserved to select the vast majority of members.

I'm sure this will stop him from calling the DNC and primary system fraudulent, corrupt, and rigged... not.

Koomaster

Not sure why we're giving him anything. What is he giving in return? Is he dropping out; or going to shut up for the next month? Anything?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this concession gets Bernie to turn down the "DNC is evil/Bern it down" rhetoric in his speeches.

They are really trying to meet him halfway here.

Hopefully. I really want Bernie to stick around, so hopefully these extensions will increase his engagement with party officials.

dakun

40% of the vote is terrible in US primaries.

just looked up some the results of past democratic primaries and i don't see how this statement is true at all.
Except for the Clinton vs. Obama none or barely any other primary looked close at all. There are quite a few blowouts even. 60% vs. 40% is quite an accomplishment when you consider where Bernie came from and who he's running against.

They gave him just over half of what he wanted.
I mean, it was a joke post.

As others have said though, they really didnt. He wanted some say in party playform, but from the numbers it seems like a pretty token thing they gave him. Clinton + DNC can still basically "override" him at every opportunity.

Not that "party platform" really matters once the votes are counted and the President has to deal with Congress.

I mean, it was a joke post.

As others have said though, they really didnt. He wanted some say in party playform, but from the numbers it seems like a pretty token thing they gave him. Clinton + DNC can still basically "override" him at every opportunity.

Not that "party platform" really matters once the votes are counted and the President has to deal with Congress.

Here is the thing. She won. He lost. The people want her input more than his. It should not be 50/50.

Besides, they agree on 93% on all issues.

They're not. Sanders just points his finger high and says "revolution" lots.

lol this is a pretty ignorant way of looking at things. try looking at the actual voting history between the two candidates.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...mples-hillary-clinton-and-bernie-sanders-hol/

for instance sanders voted against the iraq war. clinton voted for it.

sanders voted against the patriot act. clinton voted for it. twice.

sanders voted against the TARP bank bailout, clinton vote for it.

these are not things sanders made up. these are public votes. this is a matter of public record. based on their actual voting record as a senators, the two are as different as democrats and republicans

This seems fine.

Since Hillary and the DNC between them still control 67% of the members, I doubt it will have literally any consequences, which makes it an excellent bargaining chip.

First thing that jumped out at me. Except I'm not sure Sanders would bite at a symbolic victory. And by jump I mean exit the race. Which is what the DNC wants.

Can someone opine on whether this is actually a meaningful concession or not? What does this actually mean in practice?

He's won 20+ states and over 40 percent of the vote, so I would hope so. You don't want to alienate progressives.
And the reason I've been happy to see him stay in the race. Every vote he tallies is leverage, and can help his causes, now and down the road.

Never truly expected him to win, but that doesn't mean I won't vote for him.

Maxim726X

Hopefully. I really want Bernie to stick around, so hopefully these extensions will increase his engagement with party officials.

Well it's up to him now. Does he want to continue being obstinate and anti-DNC, or will he fucking finally play ball and work with the party?

Time will tell.

Here is the thing. She won. He lost. The people want her input more than his. It should not be 50/50.

Besides, they agree on 93% on all issues.

I don't really disagree? I mean, this started with a joke post. I'm just agreeing with the sentiment that their "consession" is really nothing. Not, like you said, that they really had to concede anything.

I'm not a Bernie voter or anything, I started off with a bad math joke.

Geist-

Well, I got what I wanted. Also sounds like some kind of negotiation behind the scenes so that Sanders endorses Clinton after he finally drops out. Really the best possible outcome at this point.

Maxim726X

lol this is a pretty ignorant way of looking at things. try looking at the actual voting history between the two candidates.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...mples-hillary-clinton-and-bernie-sanders-hol/

these are not things sanders made up. these are public votes. this is a matter of public record. based on their actual voting record as a senators, the two are as different as democrats and republicans

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/u...vided-hillary-clinton-and-bernie-sanders.html

They voted together 93% of the time. Yep, she's certainly a Republican.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Jesus Christ, I can't anymore...

Their voting record is nearly identical. Highlighting key votes where they differ does not change this. You're factually incorrect. You don't bring up Bernie's past regarding gun laws, how he voted against the Brady Bill five times, his history of being for military spending when it benefits his home state or any number of issues where he isn't quite as progressive as the image he puts out.

...but you're calling other people ignorant.

platocplx

I think this is a good thing. I may not like sanders as a candidate, but some of his platform points def are something the DNC should incorporate going forward especially seeing how much of a clusterfuck they are going against right now its important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom