• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNC agrees to give Sanders greater influence over party platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
I mean, if he just straight up says "yeah, I'm not going to run as an independent", he doesn't have much leverage, does he? The basic model is this one.

Okay, yeah, I kind of assumed you were advocating madman theory here as part of negotiation, but just to note, it is pretty different to say Bernie should threaten to run as an independent vs actually doing it. You are not actually Bernie so it's not like you have to pretend to not understand consequences in order to maintain your negotiating power.

That said, I think that it is kind of dangerous for Bernie to use madman theory in a situation where he is actually supposed to go back to having an amenable relationship with these people in six months. The problem with making people believe you're an irrational agent is that it's hard to then make them believe you're a rational agent again later.

What specifically are Sanders grievances with DWS?

As far as I remember it, the original complaint stemmed from the debate schedules. The Sanders camp alleged that the DNC scheduled fewer debates than normal, and scheduled them at times when no one would see them, as an attempt to rush through the Clinton nomination without giving any competitors serious chance at challenging her. From there, the "DWS has her thumb on the scale for Hillary" story has expanded to generally every instance that things work out in Hillary's favor.

That won't happen but I'm starting to believe Trump might win in November. Not that I want that at all.

Clinton really needs to work on appealing to progressive voters, this one concession by the DNC is a step in the right direction.

She needs the moderate dems as much if not more. She definitely needs moderate dems to win Senate seats.

Hmm, are there any more recent polls for California? Both this and 538 only show polls up to the end of April

California has a ton of early voting by mail.

pigeon

Banned
Hmm, are there any more recent polls for California? Both this and 538 only show polls up to the end of April

People stopped polling the Dem primary because a) Hillary is guaranteed to win by any reasonable standard and b) those polls that people bothered to do showed general movement towards her, as did the results in the recent primaries.

blackw0lf

These are the people being picked

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?postshare=5631464028049402&tid=ss_tw

Sanders’s choices include James Zogby, a pro-Palestinian activist who is president of the Arab-American Institute in Washington and a frequent commentator on Arab-Israeli issues....

Sanders also picked Cornel West, a liberal author and racial justice activist who has been a Sanders surrogate. Sanders also named Rep. Keith Ellison of Minnesota, among his most prominent elected backers, author and environmental activist Bill McKibben and Native American activist Deborah Parker...

The Clinton campaign’s choices are Wendy Sherman, a former top State Department official and Clinton surrogate; Neera Tanden, president of the Center for American Progress and longtime Clinton confidante; Rep. Luis Guttierez of Illinois; Carol Browner, a former former director of the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy; Ohio State Rep. Alicia Reece and Paul Booth of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees union.

Wasserman Schultz also named former California Rep. Howard Berman; California Rep. Barbara Lee and author and executive Bonnie Schaefer.

Gotta give it to Sanders. Those are some bold choices.

If I was him, I would hold out for so, sooooooo much more. He could so easily tank the entire election for Hillary/Dems if he wanted to, use that.

Brinbe

Doesn't really mean much since the party platform is pretty progressive as is. But hopefully this placates Sanders and his most ardent supporters.

What specifically are Sanders grievances with DWS?
Mostly just accusations that she's been rigging the process for Hillary, which I don't totally agree with even if she clearly prefers Hilly.

She's been a terrible chair for a multitude of other reasons though and I hope she gets replaced by Rybak or someone good next term.

This is how Bernie wins. The election is out of his grasp, but he still has important roles yet to play. It's good news for his supporters.
The most important thing is that the movement doesn't fizzle out with Bernie's candidacy. There's plenty of damage to be done downballot and in midterms.

Even if you're disappointed with Hillary as president because she isn't as liberal or principled as Bernie (I don't really have anything against her), the upside is that she's politically pragmatic more than anything. That means she could sign some really putrid shit if Republicans control Congress, but if liberals show up and put the Democrats in charge and stuff like free college, McCain-Feingold redux, $15 min wage, stronger Wall Street regulations etc. show up on her desk she'll sign them. The people who show up have a much bigger say than the ones who fold their arms and pout.

2018 will especially be crucial, as the first midterm of the past two Democratic presidents pretty much determined the course of their presidency. Clinton faced a full takeover by the GOP and pretty much capitulated to the right - the most he could do was water down legislation to not be as bad as it could have been (DOMA is awful but inherently preferable to going full constitutional amendment, welfare reform was much weaker than what Republicans proposed originally). Obama had a split Congress for four years and his legislative achievements came to a standstill. Had Democrats turned out in 1994 or 2010 we'd be looking at two very different political realities.

DarkKyo

This is a good thing.

They don't owe him anything, because he lost. But realistically, and pragmatically speaking, it's good to try and include his fraction into the process and the party, and to give Bernie and his followers a consolation prize. That's not meant in a condescending way. Trying to keep everyone happy, and feel like they're welcome in the Democratic Party, is just smart policy. It's not as if his following is just some fringe redditors. He has broad support.

Your whole post sounds condescending! It's not that they owe Sanders anything, they owe the people they claim to represent better representation. I think some would argue that this was Sanders' goal from the start; to push the entire party further to the left(where it should be) and to try to loosen the grip of the establishment elites on the Democrat label and policy. If this works out then it was a really good thing that Sanders stayed in the race this long amidst people screaming at him to stand down and stop fighting for us.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, yeah, I kind of assumed you were advocating madman theory here as part of negotiation, but just to note, it is pretty different to say Bernie should threaten to run as an independent vs actually doing it. You are not actually Bernie so it's not like you have to pretend to not understand consequences in order to maintain your negotiating power.

That said, I think that it is kind of dangerous for Bernie to use madman theory in a situation where he is actually supposed to go back to having an amenable relationship with these people in six months. The problem with making people believe you're an irrational agent is that it's hard to then make them believe you're a rational agent again later.

I mean, yes, I obviously don't want Sanders to run as an independent... but I'd quite like it if Clinton worried he might. ;) You know about the ripping out the steering wheel strategy, I assume.

I don't think Sanders will have an amenable relationship with them regardless, though, which is kind of the problem. Besides, nobody will care about Sanders in ~2 years. He's 74, probably doesn't have much more time left in his political career. His sole goal needs to be to get his people in; what happens from that point is up to them.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The vitriol against sanders is rampant. I'm just here waiting for him to absolutely annihilate Her in the polls here in beautiful Cali

If I was him, I would hold out for so, sooooooo much more. He could so easily tank the entire election for Hillary/Dems if he wanted to, use that.
This primary needs to end so we can stop dealing with this junk. You guys are on a completely different plane of reality here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I feel like Cornel West would call anyone in his own position a total fucking sellout for participating in this.

These guys would help draft the platform report for the party, but some of the DNC members would ally with Clinton; plus she will have around 58% or 57% of the rest of the members support in the meetings. I would imagine some stuff in the platform being rejected , many amendments being rejected, and many minority reports. It might be pretty damn heated. It is token concession really, but it might help satisfy some of Bernie supporters and Bernie may or may not just accept it and try to win more states to get more influence .

CjKc2hyUgAALyl1.jpg

Its a start ya'll even if I don't like the tone.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This is good news.

For all the whining about Sanders not doing enough for party unity, there wasn't a whole lot being done for party unity from the other side either.

This sort of thing is how you get party unity.

Justin

Maddow did a segment a few weeks ago about how the party platform document is pretty worthless and no one thinks about it once it is approved at the convention.

He's 74, probably doesn't have much more time left in his political career. His sole goal needs to be to get his people in; what happens from that point is up to them.

If he wants to make a huge difference, he should spend the rest of his life dedicated to GOTV in midterm elections. Progressives just, you know, voting, even for (gasp) establishment Democratic party candicates would have a greater impact than trying to shift the party to the left. Bernie should travel around and stump for (D) congresspeople in swing districts, regardless of whether those congresspeople have his fucking ideological purity.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If he wants to make a huge difference, he should spend the rest of his life dedicated to GOTV in midterm elections. Progressives just, you know, voting, even for (gasp) establishment Democratic party candicates would have a greater impact than trying to shift the party to the left. Bernie should travel around and stump for (D) congresspeople in swing districts, regardless of whether those congresspeople have his fucking ideological purity.

And I'm sure he will, but he needs his quid pro quo first.

Why isn't this front page of r/politics? This is pretty big news and a good move for the DNC

It was posted a few times there, but the responses were basically "this doesn't change anything" "the DNC sucks" "this isn't enough" "I'm never voting for the Democrats ever again no matter what they do, so this is pointless" and stuff like that.

It's hopeless. They've left planet earth awhile ago and aren't coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom