• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people consistently like Nomura's designs?

L Thammy

I'm not a big Final Fantasy fans by any means, but I try to at least be vaguely aware of the series. It seems to me that whenever I see talk about Nomura's work, it's usually mentioned that his character design is terrible and also belts. Going by the people I know, I get the sense that people don't like his art as much since the PS1, except maybe for his more anime-styled stuff (e.g. The World Ends With You). I'm not sure if that's the common opinion though.

Nomura's undeniably had some hits. Cloud and Sephiroth are enduring popular. What I'm wondering is what the actual opinion of his entire body of work is. Do people think he's hit-or-miss? If you know he's handling the art on a game, are you confident that it'll be good?

Garlador

He's a great artist who has done a lot of great, awesome designs, and also a lot of stinkers.

I veer on the side of liking his work.

bigmac996

Not a fan of his work, especially his more recent stuff. There's a lot more appeal in his original designs for ff7 back in the day, now it seems like he really has no idea what he's doing.

His designs are iconic in gaming. His art style is outstanding. He has a massive fan following.

I love his input artistically.

tetsuya-nomura-drawn-noctis-art.jpg

KdylanR92

Yes, I've pretty much liked most of his work.

Sure some of his work is over the top but that's not a downside in my book.

Fury451

Banned
I like him, he's made iconic characters that are instantly knowable, but stuff like his Batman redesign was so infamous because it really distilled all the negative things people feel towards his work into one place, and it highlights some of his design weaknesses too.

His more recent work seems more "generic" though, for lack of a more apt term.

gatling

I like the asymmetry he uses in costume designs. I like his work for the most part definitely. Plus it has some sort of chunky charm where Amano's and Tomomi Kobayashi is more graceful.

I generally like Lord Nomura character designs and games.

So yes, I like his stuff. He might have some baddies, but when you make everything for SE there are bound to be some bads.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I like probably 50 - 60% of his stuff, but I think I could say the same for alot of my favorite artist. When he hits it, he knocks it out of the park. When he misses... well thats when we get his batman.

I like his designs when he stays a little constrained — FF7 in particular.
Not so fond of his Kingdom Hearts designs.

I agree wit this, when he's constraining him self he is at his best. He has a bad habbit of going to far with his designs, almost every design looks like the base of it is perfect, but then he adds lots of "unnecessary" stuff into it that drags it down. Perhaps a product of his own success.

Piers

I like his designs when he stays a little constrained — FF7 in particular.
Not so fond of his Kingdom Hearts designs.

Did he do Lightning's design?

Because I loved it in FFXIII no matter the quality of the game, but what went down in 2 and returns was ludicrous.

Especially when they made her into a dress up doll.

The bishounen boy-group cast of XV isn't doing it for me though.

L Thammy

Not his Batman, but sure. He's alright most of the time.

You know, I actually like that Batman. Maybe it's not very good as Batman, but if you put it in front of me and didn't tell me what it is, I'd think it looks good.

Surprised that the response in this thread has been almost totally positive so far. Maybe the sites I've visited have given me the wrong impression, or the hatedom is just more vocal?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They're generally fine but FFXV goes too far into self-parody. He's literally designed the main character after himself.

Nomura_2_195.png

Desi

Last thing I liked of Nomura's was his work on Final Fantasy XI. besides that and his early grounded work ex. PE & FFVIII

He is hit or miss but when he strikes lightning it is a great thing.

As much as I dislike Lightning as a character, her design is fucking fantastic. It makes me WANT to like her.

Seymour and Nooj are perennial entries on the "shitty character design" threads for a reason. When he overdoes it, he REALLY overdoes it.

On the whole though, he's okay.

DeSolos

I love his work, he's got his own style. It was specifically his design of Cloud that sold me on the FF series when I was 7.

I like a lot of his character designs but his Batman and Catwoman thing was just lol

Also I don't like that he seems to be responsible for the FFXV boyband line up, which I don't think were particularly well designed either.

Ishida

Banned
Seymour and Nooj are perennial entries on the "shitty character design" threads for a reason. When he overdoes it, he REALLY overdoes it.

On the whole though, he's okay.

I think Seymour is a pretty cool design.

I know a lot of people hate his design because "lol that hair", but that "hair" is supposed to be rigid, like the branches of a tree. Guados have wooden-like hair.

Nooj has no excuse, though.

Caronte

I like his work until Final Fantasy X. XIII and XV not so much (the characters I liked from XV have all been replaced except Cor -.-).

There are far worse character designers out there anyway, he gets too much hate.

Top Bottom