• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people consistently like Nomura's designs?

I like his late 90s and early 2000s stuff(Parasite Eve, Kingdom Hearts, FF7, FF8, etc.) and his newer stuff(FF13, KH3, Dissidia), but HATE his mid-2000s PS2 era shit. Dirge Of Cerberus, The Bouncer, Advent Children, Nooj from FFX-2). Dude went buckle, tribal and weird hair and ripped cloth that looked liked arrows crazy. Fucking awful.

Valnen

I like his art more than Amano's, to be honest. It's just so nice to look at. His designs...well, they're hit or miss. But mostly hit.

Most people who say that just hate Nomura's work. They're the kind of people who can't admit Nomura does anything right.

Anyway, for the sake of making this a little more visual I got his designs from the past 8 years (I was going to make 10, but I was too lazy) minus the ones that didn't immediately pop in on a Google search (FFXIII, Dissidia, etc.)
Crisis Core:
qux07BMl.jpg

The World Ends With You:
e77PRNbl.jpg

Type-0:
TsOTpd9l.jpg

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep / KH 3D:
5OIMtWLl.png

BDzmdgil.png

Rampage Land Rankers:
iTRflvGl.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think Nomura has a great artistic mind, sure. And based on his FF7 Gbike work, he's gotten way better with time compared to 20 years ago, his same designs for FF7 look a world apart in quality(well for the most part)

I generally like his work, but I think his designs work best in his original illustrations and often times don't translate well to a more realistic 3D model (see: Tidus).

Also, I really like the guy overall but I honestly tend to prefer Akihiko Yoshida's art. I like Nomura more as a game director than a character designer.

Ashe Nei

When he doesn't goes for silly over-the-top designs, his drawings are pretty good.

I love his drawings of Aya Brea.

latest

pe-aya05.jpg

pe-aya08.jpg

kevm3

Some of his designs are cool, but he's plastered all over the company. What happened to all the other artists?

Pretty much cant stand a single piece of art the guy has ever made with the exception of a few FF7 designs, the fact that they keep using him for FF is pretty much what keeps me away from the series.

On the off chance they use non Nomura designs the games usually end up way more interesting ..9 and 12.

silenttwn

I honestly think he's way better in the director's chair than he is at designing characters.

I do think he's a fantastic illustrator, though.

They're cool.

I like them for sure.. I want to say I'm tired of them, but maybe I'm just tired of them when they all look a bit samey. He's proven his work can look radically different, but in the FF/Kingdom Heart franchises, they recently tend to look very similar.

edit: As for designs.. well.. Not a huge fan of his newer belts and keys and emo goths.

Wait he did the designs for ff13? He must have phoned that in cause those are trash. Not a fan of sora and that batman he did either. Besides that though i like em, really like the designs he did for dissidia

Alfredo

I honestly can't think of any of his designs that I hate, outside of that one FFX-2 character with the cane.

I like Nomura.

I feel his designs are best when they're kept basic. His tendency to go all out on fashion accesories and whatnot ruin many of his character designs imo.

Sakujou

Banned
They're generally fine but FFXV goes too far into self-parody. He's literally designed the main character after himself.

Nomura_2_195.png

quoted for the forever. oh man, i always thought that, but with that picture... man you fucking nailed it.

well my thoughts are, this guy gets too much attention. he fucking did nothing the last few years.

iam ok with the world ends with you and kh, but the rest? garbage. that guy isnt suited for ff. i dont like ff15 design. it screams kingdom hearts all over the place.

i would love to see more stuff similar to kh or twewy, but welp not gonna happen.

edit: dissidia was a fine thing of him.

Skilletor

I love 98% of his output. He's a fantastic artist and character designer.

Speaking of, does anybody have links to some hires Nomura art, specifically FF and KH one might be able to use to create arcade stick art?

Really weird that anybody think Noctis looks like Nomura when the prince looks like Sasuke, red eyes and all. I mean, unless you think a black hoodie and black t-shirt are at all similar to what Nomura designed for FF15. Which...would be reaching so hard you could give Dhalsim some tips.

tbd

The worst character designer there is related to salary. It's like it physicalls hurts him not giving a male protagonist a girl's face and long and smooth hair and his costume design is insulting.

aljtns0unkkx.png

His designs are iconic in gaming. His art style is outstanding. He has a massive fan following.

I love his input artistically.

tetsuya-nomura-drawn-noctis-art.jpg

This is one of the most generic anime hair ever. Except for the spikes it's Sasuke's hair, or that guy from Pandora's Tower. And he does that "hair spikes coming out of forehead" with so many characters, it's absurd.

1082801-neku1ebkby.jpg

sora-_concept_8_art_krijw6.png

368px-lightning_dissib0kn6.png

finalfantasy7_conceptk6k9a.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'd say most of his designs are amazing and extremely unique (compared to other artists), but he has a few misses here and there. Lulu's belt dress and Nooj's everything come to mind. I love his villain designs most of all.

I also like how he shifts between a more cartoony and a more realistically proportioned style.

samurai_legend_musashi_art_24.jpg

bnc-dauragon.jpg

PulseONE

For the most part I think his designs are excellent. There are some bad ones, but that will happen with any artist

tbd

Maybe I see it more because I draw using manga style elements myself but he is really terrible and predictable.

Kikujiro

The worst character designer there is related to salary. It's like it physicalls hurts him not giving a male protagonist a girl's face and long and smooth hair and his costume design is insulting.

The only thing insulting here is your ignorance. Salary? Wtf are you even talking about?

The most popular FFs sales-wise by far are FFVII, VIII and X and Nomura did the character designs. The second most popular series Squaresoft ever made is Kingdom Hearts (over 20 millions sales) and that's Nomura's baby. Continue to live in your own little world of hate.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I generally like his work. It's over done but he has a unique aesthetic that feels clean while at the same time having a lot of detail in it.

I honestly saw nothing wrong with his batman stuff either.

I mean his style defined an era and a genre, you can't do that without being exceptional in some way. Every designer will have misses that's just the nature of having to create characters, but for the most part, he's a great artist with a unique style that never compromises his artistic vision.

Top Bottom