• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people consistently like Nomura's designs?

Squire

Banned
Nomura is an influential artist that's been topped by a lot of his peers, and for a while now. He was best when there was really no one else on the radar that could compete.

I think his best work is FFVIII and FFX.

It's pretty much hit or miss. I like most of his stuff except for the Advent Children redesigns, yet... Kingdom Hearts. I'm still trying to forget what he did with Setzler. I really like the XIII organisation designs, but when I think about the main characters and the Zippers... Somebody will end with a testicle accident in Kingdom Hearts 3.

Japanese Rob Liefeld? I would say I consistently dislike his designs. Even his more tasteful, elegant designs, he just can't help himself, he ruins them with excess and hairspray.

I really like about... 5 of his designs. Tops. And that's only if I don't look at them for too long and start noticing details. Details like... ankle belts. Why?

I will say in his favor though that his work is distinctive, it has identity. At least he's not cranking out generic moe blobs or something.

Famassu

The worst character designer there is related to salary. It's like it physicalls hurts him not giving a male protagonist a girl's face and long and smooth hair and his costume design is insulting.
You are extremely pathetic. Why does it insult you so if a man has slightly more effeminate a face? Besides, his designs aren't even all that effeminate. You might look at Amano for androgynous faces, but very few of Nomura's male characters are all that effeminate.

And way to pick one of his most over the top designs that is far from the norm for him. He has plenty of more down-to-earth designs than Lulu's belt-dress.

And when has it become a crime for a character designer to have some similar character designs/hair styles. Nomura is far from the worst offender. Amano's work is way more samey, even if his style is more distinctive. Nomura isn't even nearly as bad as someone like Toriyama with his Dragon Ball Z like style being used in everything he uses. Yeah, Nomura has some spiky-haired characters like Sora, Cloud & Neku, but he's designed plenty of characters that are nothing like those. And even then, there are some really noticeable stylistic differences with the designs of Sora, Cloud & Neku. You could think they aren't even from the same artist, even if the spiky hair-style is similar (but that's not exclusive to Nomura).

Japanese Rob Liefeld? I would say I consistently dislike his designs. Even his more tasteful, elegant designs, he just can't help himself, he ruins them with excess and hairspray.
Says the person with this as his avatar

image.php

That's way more excessive than most of Nomura's designs.

His lines are so unique. Bold, simple and clean. I really love his style.

His shading and use of contrast in his linework is really top notch. Smooth and clean, no excess for flair or anything. Really really nice.

I really like about... 5 of his designs. Tops. And that's only if I don't look at them for too long and start noticing details. Details like... ankle belts. Why?

I will say in his favor though that his work is distinctive, it has identity. At least he's not cranking out generic moe blobs or something.

Also Nomura can draw limbs and appendages. Liefeld has to throw straps on everything and give people three toes because he can't draw anything below the waist or outside the torso.

He's terrible. His style epitomizes everything people criticize about current Japanese character designs. But for as bad as an artist as he is, he's way worse as a director.

faridmon

I hate it. It was ok when the style goes along with the theme of the game, like TWEWY but in apart from FF7, FF and KH games have, in my opinion, ugly character design but the fanbase lap it up so what can I do?

Astral Dog

He is alright, has made some really unique and iconic designs over the years, and also a few stinkers.

The only problem is with him (sometimes) being the face/mascot of Square Enix, his hatred is overblown.

Really don't like his stuff. It's very generic, middle of the road illustration. It has broad appeal for sure, but it can't hold a candle to the work done by Amano, Shinkawa or Yoshida.

Famassu

He's terrible. His style epitomizes everything people criticize about current Japanese character designs. But for as bad as an artist as he is, he's way worse as a director.

Spoken like someone who hasn't seen anything beyond Lulu's belt-dress and who doesn't know anything about Nomura as a director/designer/overall creative person.

Also Nomura can draw limbs and appendages. Liefeld has to throw straps on everything and give people three toes because he can't draw anything below the waist or outside the torso.

Nomura is a much better artist than Liefeld, but I hold their designs in about the same esteem. There is a Nomura zipper for every Liefeld pouch.

Says the person with this as his avatar

That's way more excessive than most of Nomura's designs.

Wouldn't catch me doing avatar call-outs in a Nomura thread with a tag like that.

Famassu

Nomura is a much better artist than Liefeld, but I hold their designs in about the same esteem. There is a Nomura zipper for every Liefeld pouch.
Generally Nomura's characters don't even have all that many belts & zippers. He has a few characters with a few too many zippers and Lulu'z belt-dress is infamous, but those are usually outliers.

Wouldn't catch me doing avatar call-outs in a Nomura thread with a tag like that.
Shitty try trying to dismiss my perfectly fair point because of my tag that some sad little mod gave me because I wasn't as pessimistic as other people. Doesn't change the fact that your avatar's character design is far more excessive than a majority of Nomura's designs (and doesn't even differ from some of Nomura's designs all that much, in some ways)

Squire

Banned

Damn.

Generally Nomura's characters don't even have all that many belts & zippers. He has a few characters with a few too many zippers and Lulu'z belt-dress is infamous, but those are usually outliers.

Aesthetically he prefers usually minimalist armor with casual wear. Like a metal pauldron on a dudes jacket or something. His zippers thing is really only in KH and even then, people make it out to be worse than it is.

Wow, comparing Nomura to Liefield. Obviously the hatred has no basis in reality or logic.

Rob Liefeld is a BAD artist. His stuff has 0 artistic or creative merit. That's without even getting into the abomination that is his writing. Even people who hate Nomura have to at least admit he's a good artist with a style they don't like. Liefeld is just a bad artist with a style nobody likes.

Kain

And by the way, all of his designs are based on Gackt, not on him, and he tries to resemble Gackt himself. Gackt is to Nomura what Bowie is to the rest of us: the lord and savior and the best human being ever to walk the face of the Earth.

DMiz

I remember someone on GAF once saying that Nomura was a flawlessly technical artist, who clearly had skill and merit, but was a bit crazy with the design element to his art. (I think it was a mod, but I'm not sure).

I agree. A lot of his line-work that you can see from time to time demonstrates his raw ability, which is both distinctive - in that you can tell when it is his work, even when he extends himself stylistically - and well constructed.

My opinion of him has decreased over the years, though. While he has remained highly competent, I really liked this 90s-era blue-hue and tones. Peoples suffered from having same-face more prominently, but just the 'temperature' he would pick for colors seemed more aesthetically attractive to me now (versus the more saturated hues he goes for these days, especially since KH).

His KH proportions and thicker lines, which are prominent in the Samurai Legend Musashi artwork, have become a bit too prevalent in his Final Fantasy stuff, though. I think he needs more time to experiment again.

tl;dr Great artist, but his design work has gotten worse with time for me.

He's a fantastic artist that goes very overboard with design ideas. IMO it drags down the quality of his art. However, when he shows restraint, his art looks incredibly clean and sharp.

SoulUnison

Banned
He's one of my favorite character designers, if not my absolute favorite.
He's definitely been on both ends of the spectrum over the years, though.

I consider Kingdom Heart's Sora to be one of the best character designs around - friendly, colorful, recognizable.
Conversely, Final Fantasy X-2's Nooj is one of the worst characters designs that's ever happened.

DMiz

I don't think you know Rob Liefeld very well then.

Agreed. Rob Liefeld doesn't even have a sense of anatomy in many of his drawings, with clipped toes, inaccurate body positions, and impossible musculature.

Say what you will about Nomura's designs, but the man at least knows how to recreate the human form so that it is recognizable as opposed to unintentionally dysmorphic.

I think his work on FFVII and VIII are absolutely iconic and creative. I used to draw the cast of those games all the time. He went down hill after that, but he still creates some good gems in his pile of crap nowadays. I enjoy his overall style.

Agreed. Rob Liefeld doesn't even have a sense of anatomy in many of his drawings, with clipped toes, inaccurate body positions, and impossible musculature.

Say what you will about Nomura's designs, but the man at least knows how to recreate the human form so that it is recognizable as opposed to unintentionally dysmorphic.

LIS at least people who don't like Nomura can recognize he's a good artist. Liefeld is a shit artist that got a lot of comics in the 90's because fuck if I know.

Warxard

Banned
All of his characters look the same. In fact, he kind of reminds me of Shinkiro in that aspect.

Although Shinkiro is iconic.

Top Bottom