• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we expect Splatoon to be the next major Nintendo I.P.?

I could be wrong, but the Wii U thread was optimistic right, coming off of the Wii?
Yes, most who were lowballing the Wii U put it at at 40-60 million.

And people expected the PS4 to crater since the rumors were that it would be the most powerful system and Sony was going to pull another PS3 scenario. We know how that played out in the end.

Javier

The best part was after release, seeing so many people post "Well OF COURSE Splatoon sold well, there's nothing else to play on Wii U!"

correojon

It's never been revealed or confirmed. All notions of local wireless play has one screen per person.

Yeah that´s what thought. Reading my initial post I should have worded it better though, what I really want is local splitscreen in 1 Switch. And coming back to the main topic, until Splatoon doesn´t have that for 4 players MK will remain the king of local play. Besides, from my own experience it isn´t a game as easy to get into as MK, where you only need 2 buttons and 2 directions; Splatoon requires moving in one direction while aiming at a different one and 6+ buttons (Jump, Shoot, Turn to skid, Secondary weapon, Special, Show the map, Jump to a teammate...). That is a very big barrier of entry for a lot of people.

Don´t get me wrong, I´m a HUGE Splatoon fan, it´s my most played WiiU game by far, that´s why I´m so disappointed in it not having local splitscreen. Playing this with friends next to you would be awesome.

These kind of comments were the showing of true edgyness. Good times.

Edgy is the word you use? lol This game was coming out on a dying platform with a poor online service. To say it would fall off was a safe assumption.

I don't mind eating that crow, tho. It might inspire similar shooters on other consoles.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Kids in my neighborhood have the replica splatoon guns that shoot that gooey shit, I see them with their goggles chasing each other, so I think it is doing ok.

I remember reading this thread back when I was a lurker and being shocked that people thought that Splatoon was going to fail. Every time I saw the game it looked like it would be a hit even on Wii U.

BriGuy

Gotta love pissy vindictive thread bumps. You should go torch up the off-topic forums with some election 2016 necrobumps while you're at it.

dukie85

I'll be legit surprised if this game doesn't bomb. I guess we'd have to discuss what constitutes a bomb though considering the low user base. I should be clear though that the base isn't the reason I think it will bomb. I just don't think the game has a lot of appeal.

But yeah what is considered a bomb in sales for the wii u in terms of numbers.

XD.jpg

Zedark

Splatoon as a concept seems too big for a portable. If anything, Nintendo will try to get a sequel out on the next console if the first game does decently enough.
This take is kinda funny in retrospect, as Splatoon 2 does indeed launch on a system that is portable.
Not knocking you,
Neoxon, just a funny observation is all!

Kabelly

inb4 lock but man man man i really hope nogami is not stubborn for the 3rd time and lets us skip the intro and a bunch of other little things but that is like one barrier i can't believe still exists. There is so much potential for this series but stuff like that just turns people off.

Top Bottom