• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have to worry about Notch?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
If he's lonely because his lifestyle is turning people off, he should look at Warren Buffett. Guy is one of the richest people in the world and lives in a normal house, drives a normal car. He doesn't have an opulent lifestyle and he's happy.

Wasn't Notch working on a new game a while back? Is he just not interested in programming anymore?

Etnos

Banned
What I'm looking for is for people to stop being complete and irredeemable morons and pretending like getting rid of his money will solve his issues.

Becoming a twitter drama queen won't help with the issue thought...

I can feel sympathy for the guy, I love Minecraft, but he should keep private issues private and seek for actual help

I rather find the comments about his ex-employees distasteful and out of place

I've suffered from depression and anxiety my whole life, so i'm well aware of the issues it can bring and how hard it is to get out of the cycle.

With that being said, he did put a lot of the pressure and his current situation on himself by prioritizing certain things and making the wrong choices about his lifestyle.

I can't say i feel empathy for someone who decidedly throws themselves into the brick wall continuously even knowing their trigger.

He has the resources to get himself help, so saying other people should reach out to him and make him feel better is quite nonsensical from his postings. He expected his colleagues to get in contact with him to make him feel like he wasn't abandoned? But they have no obligation to comfort him or attempt to make contact with him, so that expectation is nonsensical. Don't blame other people.
Rationality is usually out of the window during a period of depression as I'm sure you're well aware.

It does seem many people in this thread have been quick to diagnose him with clinical depression. Perhaps he is, but people who are depressed typically only blame themselves and not others. Another key symptom of depression is that sufferers typically bottle up and keep their negative thoughts and feelings to themselves (sadly) rather than broadcasting them to the public on a platform like Twitter. As such I feel that Notch is perhaps less likely to be suffering from actual clinical depression and more likely to just be feeling really down and shit about things, which is fair enough. i just hope he isn't resorting to alcohol or drugs for a daily fix, a slippery road.

Edit: I should say that I have a lot of experience with dealing with people suffering from anxiety and depression. Most of them completely hide their feelings in public and you wouldn't know there is anything wrong with them at all. I do have sympathy and empathy with Notch, but I feel that while he is venting on Twitter we don't have to worry; it's when people don't talk that we have to worry. Right now he just needs to let a few close trustworthy friends in to his life again, and change his negative thoughts to positive thoughts through all the CBT training he can get.

Dude has a crap ton of money. Just travel the world or something. That's what's I'd do.

No one said you have to throw elaborate parties with a bunch of famous people when you get rich. Fuck that just do what makes you happy.

That's what I would do. Just travel the world. See different places. Stuff like that uplifts me. But that's me, not Notch. Whatever process he's going through in his head is completely different.

Wasn't Notch working on a new game a while back? Is he just not interested in programming anymore?

He was working on multiple projects IIRC, but aside from Scrolls, slowly they've been canned because I think he's gotten backlash about it. Like, back when he was working on that space game I remember people would harass him to get back to work on Minecraft and everything. Scrolls...was a decent project, but it didn't captivate people. Notch is synonymous to Minecraft. And to a creator, that poisons the well so damn effectively, unfortunately.

NotLiquid

When you have a certain large amount of money the actual challenge is how to get rid of it not how to save for retirement.

Seriously, some people here really overlook that fact.

Part of the reason he decided not to fund Psychonauts 2 wasn't because he didn't have the money, it was because there were too many loopholes involved in actually being able to provide that money. Hell a post in this thread alone did the math that he'd have to spend about $5 million every month for 30 years to get rid of all the money he has.

He can't just take a charity drive and throw thousands of dollar bills at neighborhood houses like he's Jesse Pinkman. Being an "angel investor" raises a whole set of challenges and problems, especially to the level of uprooting his entire life that people suggest. He can do constructive things with the money, and he has done so multiple times in the past, but it's clear that kind of hasn't helped his mental state, and going even more extreme with that is only going to make things more complicated.

I said this in the other thread but he could start a new company and buy a building and hire struggling fresh outta college graduates and try new projects

It'd be a way to help himself get to interact with new people and give new people a start in the gaming industry

He should also join forums since it'd be a way to talk to other people anonymously

Dahlifyr

Banned
So according to some people here, he is rich and therefore he cant be depressive?? So this is what some lowelifes has become to??

Shit, no wonder that this planet has some serious problems to deal with. If i was the moderator of this site i would ban the shit out of thoose asshol*s, couse they are dangerous for the human race as a whole.

Face the thing that should not be.

First world problems or not, I think is pretty dumb to go talk about this issues on twitter

That's how people vent these days, in the age of 1bn FB users and other social medias. It's not dumb, it's common and pretty much standard. That being said it's not my preferred method.

Anyways, can I ask why this thread was opened again? I have a feeling It'll just turn to shit and be locked again.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Rationality is usually out of the window during a period of depression as I'm sure you're well aware.

It does seem many people in this thread have been quick to diagnose him with clinical depression. Perhaps he is, but people who are depressed typically only blame themselves and not others. Another key symptom of depression is that sufferers typically bottle up and keep their negative thoughts and feelings to themselves (sadly) rather than broadcasting them to the public on a platform like Twitter. As such I feel that Notch is perhaps less likely to be suffering from actual clinical depression and more likely to just be feeling really down and shit about things, which is fair enough. i just hope he isn't resorting to alcohol or drugs for a daily fix, a slippery road.

Edit: I should say that I have a lot of experience with dealing with people suffering from anxiety and depression. Most of them completely hide their feelings in public and you wouldn't know there is anything wrong with them at all. I do have sympathy and empathy with Notch, but I feel that while he is venting on Twitter we don't have to worry; it's when people don't talk that we have to worry. Right now he just needs to let a few close trustworthy friends in to his life again, and change his negative thoughts to positive thoughts through all the CBT training he can get.

Well, if he's just feeling shit like you say and not actually suffering from a serious illness, hen he should probably not blame other people for his own mistakes and instead try and patch it up with them.

Broadcasting on twitter that certain people didn't make him feel better and so "fuck those people" isn't going to help the situation.

So according to some people here, he is rich and therefore he cant be depressive?? So this is what some lowelifes has become to??

Shit, no wonder that this planet has some serious problems to deal with. If i was the moderator of this site i would ban the shit out of thoose asshol*s, couse they are dangerous for the human race as a whole.

Face the thing that should not be.

Is this account suicide, or...?
The fact that almost nobody here will ever get to know the emotional situation people like notch are facing results in people having different opinions or imaginations, what a surprise.

I don't feel like he needs 'help', but the past few years seem to have been incredibly overwhelming for him, he just needs to learn to deal with his new life.

skelekey

I feel his pain to some degree, but If I had all that money, I might not be happy, but it'd be nice to not want for anything material anymore. Things that I don't have like a house or a car, and other necessities like food and clothing. I don't have many friends anyways right now outside of my girlfriend and son, so coming upon a large sum of cash could only add to that, even if the majority are there for the wrong reasons.

Dahlifyr

Banned
Is this account suicide, or...?
The fact that almost nobody here will ever get to know the emotional situation people like notch are facing results in people having different opinions or imaginations, what a surprise.

I don't feel like he needs 'help', but the past few years seem to have been incredibly overwhelming for him, he just needs to learn to deal with his new life.

You know what, if this is account suicide i sure hope that i take some of thoose that mocks a guy that express hes feelings and get shit on couse "hes rich" with me.

Aroll

Obviously money doesn't buy happiness. It can certainly put you in situations where you may be more likely to experience happy moments (cruises, vacations, etc), but it doesn't really fulfill most people.

Rich and famous people can obviously be depressed. I mean, we lost Robin Williams due to depression. Arguably half the meds Heath Ledger was on dealt with depression. Being rich and famous doesn't magically mean much for your mental health.

Of course, a lot of his complaints sounds more or less like he needs a job again, or a massive hobby. Yes, partying with people who honestly don't give two craps about you can get old - even us "plebs" deal with that if you happen to be a frequent bar goer.

Waiting for your friends who have to work their arses off to have time to hang out does suck - but see, it's because he has all this free time and he doesn't know what to do with it, you know? He probably doesn't want the attention he would get for forming a new company and making a new game, but he also doesn't want to sit around every day doing pretty much nothing, and then partying at night with people that don't care about him, simply because he pretty much has nothing else to do.

He needs to find a new purpose in life. Before, that purpose was probably to make enough money making something of his own to live on. Now that he's well past that, he needs to find a new daily time filler that isn't self destructive.

Aroll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Pledge

A lot of billionaires redistribute their wealth.

To be fair, there is a big difference between giving up half your wealth and giving up almost all of it. Even for all Bill Gates and other billionaires give back - they still have more money than they realistically know what to do with. They are STILL billionaires - they don't give up that status by giving away half their wealth.

105.Will

Just because he has money doesn't mean he can't be depressed. By that logic all of us should be the happiest people in the world unless we're living in a dirt hut in a village controlled by a warlord.

Komo

Banned
He has enough money to get more than enough support

Acting like an emo teenager on twitter doesn't give off the best impression for a billionaire

KingV

If he's lonely because his lifestyle is turning people off, he should look at Warren Buffett. Guy is one of the richest people in the world and lives in a normal house, drives a normal car. He doesn't have an opulent lifestyle and he's happy.

You ever work at a company that Warren Buffett acquires?

Read about 3G Capital and Heinz, dude is a scumbag.

I used to respect him until I worked in an industry that he started invading, he's ruined a large number of food companies by scaring the rest of them with his crazy cutting sprees.

Wensih

To be fair, there is a big difference between giving up half your wealth and giving up almost all of it. Even for all Bill Gates and other billionaires give back - they still have more money than they realistically know what to do with. They are STILL billionaires - they don't give up that status by giving away half their wealth.

It's at least 50%. Warren Buffett (and I think Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, and others) have pledged 99% of their wealth.

JackDT

If he's really spending 100s of thousands of dollars a night partying with people in his hollywood mansion... jeez. Think of the type of the people you will end up with around you with that kind of lifestyle. I think anyone would get seriously depressed and lonely.

To answer the title, no. There's bigger things to worry about than a single person having a midlife crisis or depression and most of us are not even going to try do anything to stop those.

This isn't any better than any other celebrity worship.

Magwik

Banned
He has enough money to get more than enough support

Acting like an emo teenager on twitter doesn't give off the best impression for a billionaire

Having "more than enough money" doesn't mean shit. The best therapist in the world can't help everyone.
And "acting like an emo teenager"? Really?? It's his twitter account and his life, who the fuck cares about what impression it leaves, dude just wanted his voice heard.
To answer the title, no. There's bigger things to worry about than a single person having a midlife crisis or depression and most of us are not even going to try do anything to stop those.

This isn't any better than any other celebrity worship.

We are a community, one that he is also a part of. Communities care for their own, and people enjoy him and his creations. He's a genuinely great person according to most, so why wouldn't we collectively reach a helping hand to him if he needs it?

Doesn't this guy have millions of dollars? Hard for me to sympathize because I know my life would be remarkably better if I never had to worry about money. I can only play the lottery and pray I beat the odds.

Oersted

If he's really spending 100s of thousands of dollars a night partying with people in his hollywood mansion... jeez. Think of the type of the people you will end up with around you with that kind of lifestyle. I think anyone would get seriously depressed and lonely.

Probably already asked and most likely I'm missing the obvious... but why doesn't he just stop?

We are not talking about an abusive ex terrorizing him, drug problems or whatever .. its throwing parties.

Magwik

Banned
Doesn't this guy have millions of dollars? Hard for me to sympathize because I know my life would be remarkably better if I never had to worry about money. I can only play the lottery and pray I beat the odds.

Fuck off. Yeah it's so hard to sympathize with someone who is human like the rest of us, right?

Zero sympathy. Probably because I've literally never encountered a problem money wouldn't fix. Having enormous amounts of money actually causing problems is something I can't even fathom.

mcrommert

Banned
Becoming a twitter drama queen won't help with the issue thought...

I can feel sympathy for the guy, I love Minecraft, but he should keep private issues private and seek for actual help

I rather find the comments about his ex-employees distasteful and out of place

So much this...this guy complained about the notoriety and attention that Minecraft gave and he ran an active twitter account the while time

I feel sorry for those who deserve it

Josh7289

Sometimes it can be hard to find motivation in life, especially if one is socially isolated. It sounds like he can't form any real connections with other people right now due to his dramatically different socioeconomic status from most other people. I don't know what the solution is but seeking professional mental health help is probably a good start.

Jobbs

Banned
He complains about empty relationships, why was it his goal to buy a giant tacky mansion in beverly hills and hang out with famous people? I can't imagine a less imaginative and more disappointing use of wealth by a once indie creator, and it's kind of depressing. (I don't normally speculate about peoples' lives and money, but he's tweeting about it, so clearly he expects a reaction)

He should found a studio and work on something great, or find something else important to do. If shallowness and empty relationships bother him, why does he run to the shallowness and empty relationships capitol of the world and surround himself with it?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Just because he has money doesn't mean he can't be depressed. By that logic all of us should be the happiest people in the world unless we're living in a dirt hut in a village controlled by a warlord.

It's not that he can't get depressed...it's that he's in a better position than 99% of people to actually get some help. He has more options than most people.

We are a community, one that he is also a part of. Communities care for their own, and people enjoy him and his creations. He's a genuinely great person according to most, so why wouldn't we collectively reach a helping hand to him if he needs it?

To me this just comes off like celebrity worship, I haven't even seen a single call to action in this thread nor ideas being thrown around. (I didn't actively seek them out but if there are it looks like they drowned) Just discussions on whether he deserves to be depressed, which is a stupid discussion, whether money solves everything, etc.

But hey I'm a cynic and pretty jaded, it's just hard for me to feel empathy and to believe in others empathy when I don't even do anything for people in much worse situations near me.

Also we're part of the same community the way athletes are part of the community of sports fans.

Stiler

It saddens me how many people are so unsympathetic for him simply because he has money and they think because he's rich that means you can't be depressed or feel completely and utterly alone.

Many people who win the lottery or come into huge inheritances often go through this same thing.

"friends" resent them, new people hang around them because of their money (and they want some of it). You feel like no one honsestly cares about you and actually wants to just "hang" with you for the sake of hanging with you and having fun.

You even try to talk about it and you get things said, like many responses in this thread, people either ask you for money or are unsympathetic because you have it, rather then treat you like a normal human being.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
If he was that unhappy about suddenly being unfathomably rich, he could just give it all away and start over.

There is literally a 100% chance he won't.

This is why I can't take rich people problems seriously, because at the end of the day they'll still choose to be rich. No newly rich person ever chooses to go be poor again.

this is nuts. it's like suggesting he chops his left arm off to show himself how good he had it with both arms. being poor is not the fix to this type of depression.

Skinpop

With that being said, he did put a lot of the pressure and his current situation on himself by prioritizing certain things and making the wrong choices about his lifestyle.
how do you know he made the wrong choices? he was thrown into a crazy situation and is now exploring his new life. do you think anyone can go from normal life to a billionaire within a few years without suffering a few melt downs and confusion/isolation? just because he is experiencing pain doesn't mean he made bad decisions, it's just part of the process.

105.Will

It's not that he can't get depressed...it's that he's in a better position than 99% of people to actually get some help. He has more options than most people.
That's fair, i just don't agree with the people that are criticizing him for voicing his emotional problems through Twitter. At the end of the day the man is depressed, and he should get help. He has the means to get that help, but that doesn't mean it's not hard to go through

Top Bottom