• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do women see extremely muscular men the same way men see anorexic women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra1den

Most men would agree on the ideal female body type--slim(other than the chest and buttocks). While they like slim, if it gets taken to an extreme with girls that look sickly thin and anorexic, it becomes very unappealing to most men(contrary to what fashion mags want you to believe).

When it comes to women's taste in men, everybody knows they like a big, strong guy. From what I can tell though, these steroid taking guys on bodybuilding magazines are not attractive to most women. Like with women being slim, there seems to be a point where it becomes "too much of a good thing." So two questions naturally surface:

1: Why do these guys go so overboard with the muscles? Yeah it may be a sport for them, but in the end what they really want is to impress ladies, amirite?

2: What is the ideal build for a man? At what point do the muscles become too much? Perhaps it is not as cut and dry as it is with male preference of female bodies.

sangreal

I think your premise that most men agree on their ideal female body type is incorrect, as is your assumption that most women share similar taste

kswiston

Answer to all your questions ultimately would be "some do and some don't".

While this is true, I haven't met a lot of women who go for the Mr. Universe types. I think an athletic build is generally more appealing than a bodybuilder's build if you are looking to attract women. Not to say some don't go for the bodybuilder look though.

kirblar

You're asking the wrong question/comparing the wrong groups. Roided bodybuilders and anorexic waifs are two sides of the same coin.

Ra1den

OK let me rephrase this--most men(in the west anyway) prefer slim women to overweight women, to a certain point. The anorexic look though is not appealing to most men.

Obviously there are people who like the extremes (extreme weight, muscularity, skinniness, etc) but I'm guessing most people like types near the middle

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm no woman, but from what I understand

newbodybuilder.jpg

Is okay

sebastian_zona_bodybuilder_weight_lifter_3.jpg

Is not

I think you are touching on, but missing something.

It's not really for the opposite sex IMO. A lot of what women do for "attractiveness" has more to do with impressing other women. Clothing, purses, shoes, hairstyles.. not really "designed to attract men."

When a woman walks outside dressed up she's hoping other women notice her style.

Same with a muscle-head dude.. it's mostly for the sake of other guys.

In both cases, self-confidence is built, which can also be leveraged to attract the opposite sex.

Anorexia is a twisted version of that to some extent. I knew an anorexic, and she was obsessed with being skinnier than every other girl.. she didn't really care how men felt about it.. you could outright tell her it wasn't attractive, and it didn't help.. if anything, made it worse.

Both are a little twisted.. and I think neither are for the "sake of" the opposite sex. Perhaps muscle dudes are a BIT more hoping to attract women, but I think most of it is a show for other men to be intimidated by them. (the extreme ones at least)

entremet

Body builders tend to not look good in tailored garments. Athletically slim dudes do.

Yeah, sucks for me since I like fashion and BB/Weight Lifting.

But I do think most men want to be bigger than what most women prefer.

newbodybuilder.jpg

Is okay

Is not

The bottom picture is a very temporary state, so not realistic. Not the muscle but the BF percentage. He's basically dehydrated.

[ig]http://www.expertweightlifting.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/newbodybuilder.jpg[/img]

Is okay

[ig]http://pi.b5z.net/i/u/230085/i/sebastian_zona_bodybuilder_weight_lifter_3.jpg[/img]

Is not

Beyond that where guys start to seriously vascularize are pretty gross. Nobody wants to spoon beef jerky.

*basing on personal preference

Gustav

Banned
Most men would agree on the ideal female body type--slim(other than the chest and buttocks). While they like slim, if it gets taken to an extreme with girls that look sickly thin and anorexic, it becomes very unappealing to most men(contrary to what fashion mags want you to believe).

When it comes to women's taste in men, everybody knows they like a big, strong guy. From what I can tell though, these steroid taking guys on bodybuilding magazines are not attractive to most women. Like with women being slim, there seems to be a point where it becomes "too much of a good thing." So two questions naturally surface:

1: Why do these guys go so overboard with the muscles? Yeah it may be a sport for them, but in the end what they really want is to impress ladies, amirite?

2: What is the ideal build for a man? At what point do the muscles become too much? Perhaps it is not as cut and dry as it is with male preference of female bodies.

Just ask yourself this: is Gears of War attempting to appeal to men or women? Same with this:
bac_sshot0013-1000.jpg

kswiston

newbodybuilder.jpg

Is okay

Is not

My wife laughs when she sees guys that look like the top pic (never really seen someone in real life that looks like the bottom pic). We'll bump into guys like that in the grocery store every once in awhile, and she says they look ridiculous. Take off 20-30 lbs of muscle and keep the definition in the abs and she would probably be impressed. Depends on the woman.

EDIT: From my experience, the overly muscled looked appeals to guys more than it does women.

kswiston

Most women prefer the Ryan Reynolds type. Muscular but lean.

Which is probably why things like People's "Most Beautiful People" lists are filled with guys with that build, and not with MMA fighters and wrestlers. If women were generally into the muscle look, more actors would look like Stallone.

Srsly

Banned
One of the reasons women don't like the look of bodybuilders (pros on stage) is that they have an extremely low body fat level, a level that is extremely unhealthy to maintain. Evolutionary psych could easily explain the lack of attractiveness by saying that someone with such a low amount of body fat is giving off an instinctive signal of starvation/sickliness, which would repel potential mates.

Delio

My wife laughs when she sees guys that look like the top pic (never really seen someone in real life that looks like the bottom pic). We'll bump into guys like that in the grocery store every once in awhile, and she says they look ridiculous. Take off 20-30 lbs of muscle and keep the definition in the abs and she would probably be impressed. Depends on the woman.

EDIT: From my experience, the overly muscled looked appeals to guys more than it does women.

Really depends on the guy either way.

Edit: Here my type of body that I would like if they were muscled is like this only maybe a bigger chest.

tumblr_m2gu4erYJf1qca9n0o1_500.jpg

Which is probably why things like People's "Most Beautiful People" lists are filled with guys with that build, and not with MMA fighters and wrestlers. If women were generally into the muscle look, more actors would look like Stallone.

Plus the stereotype that big means dumb might eliminate them from potential roles. Hollywood is weird like that. Sometimes you need to change your body to be in line with the character they are portraying.

If you can get the adonis belt going on (the crease that arcs between Thor's divine thigh and mighty crotch) then you've arrived.

False. There is absolutely a consensus on desirable female body types among men. Symmetrical faces, full breasts/buttocks, and thin legs/waist with wider hips. There's evolutionary science out there supporting male preference for those characteristics in females for reproductive purposes.

Ra1den

My personal goal is something like this...

chris-hemsworth-shirtless.jpg

I read an interview where he said he had to eat a ridiculous amount of food to keep that bulk up. As soon as he stopped eating so much he lost a lot of it IIRC.

If you can afford it though, go for it.

One of the reasons women don't like the look of bodybuilders (pros on stage) is that they have an extremely low body fat level, a level that is extremely unhealthy to maintain. Evolutionary psych could easily explain the lack of attractiveness by saying that someone with such a low amount of body fat is giving off an instinctive signal of starvation/sickliness, which would repel potential mates.

Why the hell is GAF so obsessed with evolutionary and biology crap in threads like these? Different people have different taste.

I'd die happy with a Chris Hemsworth in my bed, but all those overmuscled guys up there are ridiculous.

Zoe

I read an interview where he said he had to eat a ridiculous amount of food to keep that bulk up. As soon as he stopped eating so much he lost a lot of it IIRC.

If you can afford it though, go for it.

Didn't the same thing happen to Chris Evans?

smurfx

get some go again
actually i would say they are trying to impress men more than they are women.

newbodybuilder.jpg

Is okay

Is not
the guy on top could easily look like the guy in the bottom if he pumped up before the pic and put a bunch of fake tanning lotion and then flexed.

For me, the ideal physique was Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman

5139359034_5890f4c479_z.jpg

He had broad shoulders, developed chest, good arm size, ripped abs, and toned legs. It was incredible.

Emitan

So if evolutionary psych is so important how come I'm a lesbian

Why the hell is GAF so obsessed with evolutionary and biology crap in threads like these? Different people have different taste.

I'd die happy with a Chris Hemsworth in my bed, but all those overmuscled guys up there are ridiculous.

Biology and evolution are relevant to the discussion. I'd guess there weren't many gyms or fad diets back in the caveman days. So this probably doesn't do it for a lot of people. It looks unnatural to them. There are ton of theories that explain human behavior. And you probably can't narrow it down to just one or two.

This thread got gay fast.

About time somebody called the experts in.

I believe (from what I read several years ago) that most women prefer a man with a physique such as:

death-race.jpg

over ones such as:

9198512_Bodybuilding_02.jpg

Yes, some women do really dig the big guys, but as I said most women prefer the former as opposed to the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom