• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do women see extremely muscular men the same way men see anorexic women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

RE: actors like Evans/Hemsworth

Steroids and a plethora of supplements + top flight trainers and personal chefs are also involved.

Brad Pitt in Fight Club seems to be a popular opinion.

No way. Dood was too skinny.

whc_daniel_bryan_by_windows8osx-d4jmgpp_original.jpg

Best body type.

YES! YES! YES!

RE: actors like Evans/Hemsworth

Steroids and a plethora of supplements + top flight trainers and personal chefs are also involved.

Steroids are not need to achieve a body like that. Not even close.

When did I say there were needed? I said they are used, not needed.

My mistake. I still don't think they are using roids. Maybe HGH, but not roids.

Emitan

How come all men have the exact same taste in women? All men think the same with little variance, right?

andycapps

Just look at who most women like in pop culture and you have your answer. Ryan Reynolds, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt 10 years ago, etc. They like guys who look lean but clearly work out regularly. Women like something like this:

ryan-gosling-2.jpg

ryan-reynolds-toned-body.jpg

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
OP, whatever the ideal male body type is, it's probably not you. I'm basing this on your avatar.

People tend to look at the extremes, but like most are saying it's in the middle. Buff men are trying to impress other men, and fashion models are trying to impress homosexual male fashion designers and wrinkled up asexual female magazine editors. It's a complicated system.

I'll be honest, I freaking love muscles. I don't dig the grotesque kind of definition some bodybuilders have going on, but a bulked up dude is pretty damn sexy. I seem to be the minority though, as most of my friends prefer leaner guys with moderate muscles.

Most women aren't that set in their type, though. I've been attracted to guys with a wide range of body types, even if thin isn't really my preference.

theDeeDubs

Most every woman I know below 40 says Ryan Reynolds is the epitome. I think his personality helps him a lot too. Most over 40 say Matthew McChaugnehey (however you spell it). Every single one says they hate overly muscular guys because they imagine they spend more time looking in the mirror than they themselves do and wouldn't spend any time with them due to gym requirements.

entremet

I don't think most people need to worry about getting that big. That takes years of training and proper nutrition, plus roids in some cases to get there.

Srsly

Banned
How come all men have the exact same taste in women? All men think the same with little variance, right?

Generally, men have common characteristics they find attravtive - hourglass figure, high enough bodyfat percentage to signify fertility, symmetrical face, etc. This is a fact confirmed by repeated experiments. But there are outliers. There are people attracted to different physiques or even the same sex. Despite evolution being driven by natural selection, there is randomness in genes and how those genes will interact with an environment. So while a characterstic might be selected by natural selection, and the general population will have such a charachteristic, on average, there will be cases where epigenetics results in different characteristics among individuals.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Women can have pretty different tastes. I prefer skinny, nerdy guys myself. *shrug* All the guys posted in this thread do pretty much nothing for me.

For most people I've talked to over the years, looking anorexic or extremely muscular is a turn off, whether you are male or female.

And I agree.

Take that as you will.

Most every woman I know below 40 says Ryan Reynolds is the epitome. I think his personality helps him a lot too. Most over 40 say Matthew McChaugnehey (however you spell it). Every single one says they hate overly muscular guys because they imagine they spend more time looking in the mirror than they themselves do and wouldn't spend any time with them due to gym requirements.

You know, I'll never understand gaf's obsession with Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Gosling. I see far more guys on these boards touting their supposed handsomeness than I ever hear women in real life saying. Same with John Hamm.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
You always see ripped dudes with girlfriends walking around. I think its something to do with the dudes already being attractive before getting ripped.

bjb

Banned
Alternatively I don't know how to feel about muscular women. Case in point:

alicia-keys-in-bikini-on-instagram-435x580.jpg

Alicia Keyes...

dem thighs~

Edit: thick is probably too much to me I like "average"-chubby body types

Supermodels don't do anything for me

I find all types of women attractive but my preferred body type is one that has curves. A little pooch does not bother me at all.

Gosling looks skinny/small in that pic. That's just me though =/

And it is incredibly hard to get BB big. It is basically a (2nd?) job so I can understand where the dedication comes in but to say that they spend more time looking in the mirror and that they won't spend any time due to gym requirements is ridiculous. Those guys look like that for 1 or 2 days max. No one walks around like that.

Zoe

You know, I'll never understand gaf's obsession with Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Gosling. I see far more guys on these boards touting their supposed handsomeness than I ever hear women in real life saying. Same with John Hamm.

I've had my eye on Ryan Reynolds ever since The Odyssey. Two Guys and a Girl cemented it <3

Enco

All those celeb/bodybuilder pics are unrealistic.

Anyone can look like that with enough money and time. However, it's not a long term thing by any means. Actors get personal cooks and trainers. They have all the time in the world to train and have pro's to ensure everything is perfect. Soon after filming is over, they lose all progress made (most of the time).

If you want to look like Brad Pitt/whoever for the rest of your life then good luck. You're going to need it (and a lot of time, effort and money).

I've had my eye on Ryan Reynolds ever since The Odyssey. Two Guys and a Girl cemented it <3

At least he has a somewhat cute teddy-bear type face. Gosling just looks weird as hell to me, and the only women I've known who liked him were all Notebook fangirls.

Although, I might just be weird. I never really got the love for Brad Pitt either. He attractive no doubt, but sexiest man ever? Psshhh.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
All those celeb/bodybuilder pics are unrealistic.

Anyone can look like that with enough money and time. However, it's not a long term thing by any means. Actors get personal cooks and trainers. They have all the time in the world to train and have pro's to ensure everything is perfect. Soon after filming is over, they lose all progress made (most of the time).

If you want to look like Brad Pitt/whoever for the rest of your life then good luck. You're going to need it (and a lot of time, effort and money).

Don't most convicts work out and look like that in america ?

Srsly

Banned
Why the hell is GAF so obsessed with evolutionary and biology crap in threads like these? Different people have different taste.

I'd die happy with a Chris Hemsworth in my bed, but all those overmuscled guys up there are ridiculous.

So, basically, you like a guy with a natural well-developed body, low bf % - but not too low, a general v-taper shape, and an attractive and symmetrical face? Evo psych

These celebs have personal trainers, chefs, nutritionists, everything, and most importantly, they are PAID to look that good and in between filming they have nothing else to do but train and look good

grumble

I've read a few studies on this.

1. Men think the optimum is significantly more muscular than what women think is the optimum.

2. Women when asked generally chose the toned or built look over the jacked or thin look. Toned being men who had somewhat more muscle than average and a fairly low body fat, and built being men who had somewhat more muscle than that.

Basically get decently strong and fit, get fairly lean and you'll be fine physically for the ladies. Good posture and confidence help a lot!

Ra1den

Women can have pretty different tastes. I prefer skinny, nerdy guys myself. *shrug* All the guys posted in this thread do pretty much nothing for me.

Could this be due to perceived notions about their personality, rather than a true physical preference for skinny guys?

Kozak

Banned
4.jpg

33884_442846007225_351749002225_5050820_556506_n.jpg

Zyzz imo.

Looks great without a shirt and looks normal with a shirt on. A body that someone admires rather than feels threatened by.

bjb

Banned
Pretty sure it was confirmed (at least largely speculated) that dude (Zyzz) was on roids / HGH. If I'm wrong then by all means correct.

Esch

Banned
if by zyzz looked normal you equate normal with a roided up 3% bodyfat tanned hairgelled male stripper guido then i agree

Ashhong

Just look at who most women like in pop culture and you have your answer. Ryan Reynolds, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt 10 years ago, etc. They like guys who look lean but clearly work out regularly. Women like something like this:

ryan-gosling-2.jpg

ryan-reynolds-toned-body.jpg

I'm not gay, but if I was, this would be my ideal type. I wish I could look like that. Goslings body looks perfect

Azzurri

Pretty sure it was confirmed (at least largely speculated) that dude (Zyzz) was on roids / HGH. If I'm wrong then by all means correct.

Of course he was and his bro Chestbrah, along with most of the Aesthetic crew.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Could this be due to a perceived notions about their personality, rather than a true physical preference for skinny guys?

Hmm... I doubt it. I mean, I've met muscled nerdy guys and they weren't all that attractive to me. I mean, I guess if they really REALLY had an attractive personality to me I'd go for it (I'm not quite that shallow), but otherwise I'd much prefer a skinny one.

We all know you're in the closet, Lissars!

I am!? :O

Eric C

Brad Pitt in Fight Club seems to be a popular opinion.
I've heard that too, many times.

I've also heard/read somewhere that the stats for male fashion models, are close to ideal too. NOT the skinny stereotypical male models. Just generally the advise not to bulk up past a 40-42 size suit.

Brad Pitt didn't have a lot of muscle in Fight Club, he just had very low body fat.

I'd say he was still more muscular compared to the average man, he just wasn't as muscular as say a fitness cover model

L5Pp0.jpg

I've also read that a waist to hip ratio of 0.67 is the most attractive ideal for women, and a waist to hip ratio of 0.90 is most attractive ideal for men.

I couldn't find that article... but here's what wikipedia says about Waist to hip ratios.

A WHR of 0.7 for women and 0.9 for men has been shown to correlate strongly with general health and fertility. Women within the 0.7 range have optimal levels of estrogen and are less susceptible to major diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disorders and ovarian cancers.[7] Men with WHRs around 0.9, similarly, have been shown to be more healthy and fertile with less prostate cancer and testicular cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom