• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you eat food from gas stations?

Pretty much only from Kwik Trip and HyVee gas stations. They are usually well kept and at least give me the impression I'm not eating something that will make me sick.

Couleurs

Depends on the gas station. No way at random no-name (edit: this was autocorrected to non-American originally) gas stations.

QuickTrip? Absolutely. Hell, they've renovated or entirely rebuilt most of their locations in KC to double down on food.

Yeah I do a lot of long road trips, so I wind up eating gas station/truck stop shit a lot of times when I'm in the middle of nowhere with no other options.

A major truck stop chain like Love's/Flying J or clean looking well maintained gas station like QuikTrip or Caseys? sure, I'll suck it up and eat something if I'm starving.

A rundown piece of shit looking place like in the OP? noooope

Depends on the gas station and the food. If the gas station is clean and obviously well maintained and the food looks good, then sure why not. But if the gas station is messy and the food looks like it's been sitting for a long time, then hell no.

I've also worked at a lot of different gas stations and fast food places over the years so I tend to notice a lot of things normal people may not. It's pretty obvious which places thoroughly clean their stores and actually follow food safety codes and which ones take shorcuts and turn a blind eye to unsafe food handling.

When I was a little kid my dad told me that he was hanging out at his friend's convenience store and the soda machine wasn't working, so he popped the front off and the whole machine was full of mold.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
sushi

The closest gas station near my grandparents house is a gas station / Italian sub shop/ pizza. That might be cheating but they are the same building. They also carry little juice boxes full of wine. Which I thought was hilarious at the time.

MIMIC

Banned
The ONLY gas station where I've ever eaten prepared/hot food was at Thorntons (fake edit: also Wawa) when I lived in Florida. They were brand new establishments and they were exceptionally clean. I'm back in Ohio and I wouldn't dream of eating any non-vacuum sealed/bagged food item in any of these places.

But wow.....botulism?! Jesus.

Hell yeah I do.
bucees-store.jpg

buc-ees-brisket.jpg
Yep

Shandy

I had a crumbed chicken and cheese sausage from a petrol station a few weeks ago. It was disgustingly greasy and medium-quality at best, but I still enjoyed it and I didn't die. But that servo's popular with truckies, so turnover is high. And I'll be honest, if I lived in America, I'd probably trust businesses in general way less than I do in Australia. Maybe if you guys didn't hate the R-word so much. You know... regulation.

Also, I had a hot dog from a vending machine on a mountain in Japan. It wasn't great, but it didn't make me sick.

LowSignal

Kwik Trip has some good stuff like cold fruit, amazing bakery goods and the microwaved food is ok. Speedway has a ok pizza for $5 similar to Little Cesar's.

DopeToast

Banned
Depends on the gas station chain and sometimes particular location. Sheetz are dope, Kwik Trip is amazing, and some of them modern Speedways are great.

I wouldn't get cheese sauce, but frozen food to heat up or the made-to-order stuff.

mAcOdIn

Also, I had a hot dog from a vending machine on a mountain in Japan. It wasn't great, but it didn't make me sick.
This evokes the wierdest image in my head, if you named the mountain I'd assume it was a tourist trap but know I just picture you randomly climbing a mountain, realizing you're hungry and there randomly being a vending machine up there.

FUME5

I had a crumbed chicken and cheese sausage from a petrol station a few weeks ago. It was disgustingly greasy and medium-quality at best, but I still enjoyed it and I didn't die. But that servo's popular with truckies, so turnover is high. And I'll be honest, if I lived in America, I'd probably trust businesses in general way less than I do in Australia. Maybe if you guys didn't hate the R-word so much. You know... regulation.

The bain-marie chicken and cheese sausage?

I see you also like to live dangerously.

Mask

The local Esso garage has a Greggs built into it, so heck yes. Some of their other food ain't half bad either.

vypek

Wawa expanded here recently and I'll buy subs and stuff from them, but it's not exactly a typical gas station.

Gas station in the OP looks sketchy af.

Yeah. That's my thought as well. Wawa feels more like a convenience store that happens to have a gas station at times. Their food is often pretty good

Regiruler

Regular gas stations are usually fine for packaged stuff.

Sheetz, and to a lesser extent Royal Farms and Wawa are all really good fast food places.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I eat shady food often. I get stuck at work for longer than expected in random places and when I'm done I'll eat anything.
I've never had any issues and the taste is usually fine.

Timeaisis

Ew gas station nacho cheese is like my biggest fear.

Also, this reminds me of that really gross gas station slurpie scene in that one wrestling movie with David Arquette.

styl3s

The gas station food game has changed drastically than it was in the 70s,80s,90s and even early 00's almost every chain gas station here has a dedicated hot food section with cooks making fresh food all the time and it's all pretty damn good but i will pretty much eat any gas station food because my stomach is made of iron.

I've had gas station sushi multiple times this year alone and not from one of the fancy cooks on hand gas stations.

Ew gas station nacho cheese is like my biggest fear.

Also, this reminds me of that really gross gas station slurpie scene in that one wrestling movie with David Arquette.
I basically lived off gas station nachos and frozen burritos from gas stations from from like the mid 80s to mid 90s.

Syncytia

Man the west coast doesn't get any of the cool gas stations. I practically lived on sheetz and caseys during a road trip once.

Kylarean

Not really. I'll eat some Sheetz food sometimes, but mostly when I needed something quick because there was going to be an after lunch meeting.

Piggus

"Gas station" food can vary widely. I ordered a spring roll at a Circle K once and it was literally rotten on the inside. I couldn't get the taste of rotten, soggy vegetables out of my mouth/mind for days. So I'd call that pretty low tier. Then there are places like Buc-ee's and Sheetz, which are great.

i think if you have the facilities to make watermelon fudge you dont qualify as a gas station but a grocer with gas. That looks amazing btw.

I wouldn't really describe Buc-ee's as a grocery store. It's more like a massive corner store. They're generally along the freeway and full of souvenirs, snacks, deli food, BBQ equipment, etc.

Also, you haven't lived until you've had a 7-11 Cheeseburger Big Bite.

7-11+2.png

darklin0

Banned
When I was younger, on a 3-day road trip to Mexico to visit my grandparents, I bought a 7/11 hot dog. After a couple of hours on the road, it gave me cold sweats and knocked me out cold. I was told the next day that I was so gassy and they were incredibly smelly that when we got to the border the Mexican officers working told my parents it smelled like they had rotting meat in their car and that they should hurry to where we needed to go so we could dispose of it.

Since then I have never trusted gas station food.

LOLCats

Banned
Once every few months i do get nachos and a soda for lunch from the gas station!

I saw this article this morning and i was like fuuuuuhhhk.

Ill think twice about it next time for sure and probably not get that.

Also gas station != Truck stop.

Was the nachos at a truck stop?

Shandy

This evokes the wierdest image in my head, if you named the mountain I'd assume it was a tourist trap but know I just picture you randomly climbing a mountain, realizing you're hungry and there randomly being a vending machine up there.

It was a little rest/sightseeing spot. I think I was just sucked in by the novelty of a vending machine in a little undercover area that dispensed "hot" food. I wish I could remember which mountain that was... Somewhere around Fujiyoshida. It was just a small hiking mountain, not a rope-line-massive-achievement-to-summit mountain.

The bain-marie chicken and cheese sausage?

I see you also like to live dangerously.

My penchant for shoving suspicious foods into my mouth at an alarming pace is yet to be my downfall. I think I'll keep doing it.

Top Bottom