• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you separate the entertainer from the person?

Budi

Depends, if it's just one person doing what I enjoy but they are an asshole in one way or another I'll probably stop following. But if an asshole takes part in a bigger project, I can still support that bigger crew.

Yeah. Most times. I only don't support work if I think the entertainment itself is going to effectively propagate bad ideas. Which is overwhelmingly not the case in my own experience.

It's a serious struggle, in my opinion.

There are cases like Nathan Fillion, where anonymous sources claimed stuff like this:
(Regarding Fillion's treatment of Stana Katic on the set of "Castle")

“Stana would cry on set because Nathan was such a bully to her … Stana would go in her dressing room and cry. A lot of people who work on the show don’t like Nathan. It’s not just her … Nathan has been nasty to Stana for a long time. Stana was a pro, just wanted to get in there and do her job.”

As far as I know, nothing sticks. Even Stana denied these claims.

I mean, you'll never know. Maybe, in turn of recent events (Weinstein, #metoo), she might come forward and make even worse accusations but as of now, Nate is safe for me.

Then there is Tom Cruise: A man with what seems to be an incredible work ethic who also happens to be the poster boy for Scientology, with a less than decent track record of handling the women in his life.I still watch his movies but I get a lot of shit for supporting him this way. Maybe rightfully so.

Jackie Chan - Damn, what is it with this guy? Does he really believe the stuff he says, whenever he talks about China related stuff, or is he just a shill for the People's Republic? I admire his work, especially all the pre-2000 stuff, and I'm not sure how to judge him.

Roman Polanski - LOL, fuck him!
I really love the "Dance of the Vampires" musical (the German version, not the TERRIBLE US-version). While it's based on the Polanski movie, Roman had no creative input on the musical (again, as far as I was able to verify). Steve Barton is (well, was - R.I.P.) my favourite singer of all time and I was blown away to hear an American perform German lyrics with so much care and emotion. I just can't hate this musical, never will. I don't watch Polanski's movies though.

Mel Gibson - This guy is nuts and maybe the actor I'm most conflicted about. I enjoy his performances and I appreciated him on The Expendables 3. I'd even go as far as to claim that he steals that movie.

These are just some examples but detaching the art from the artist is sometimes easier said than done.

rabincrabmink

Neo Member
You can, but why? John Darnielle had a good thing to say about this

so when people go into the “I separate the art from the artist” thing, I’m like - why? if we live several lifetimes, we should all be so lucky, we won’t read all the great books or hear all the great music. we can allow artists to be human and make mistakes, even big huge everybody-has-their-personal-lows mistakes, while still saying “artists who are just worthless garbage as people, who actively and unapologetically campaign to make others’ lives worse, don’t deserve to have their work read.” we will not actually miss much; we can put our attention elsewhere. there’s just no shortage of amazing books to read, incredible music to hear.

Ultima_5

I try but it’s in a case by case basis.

Like... I’m okay with woody Allen but have trouble doing it for Mel Gibson. Probably being Jewish affects both of those examples

Top Bottom