• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you still follow gentlemanly customs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchuck

I open doors for everybody except car doors.

My car can only be unlocked on the driver side. And the keyless entry on my car fob is out of battery. Sooo, it'd be really awkward If I went to my driver side, Unlocked the car, walked around to passenger side, then opened the car door for her then walk back to driver side.

That stuff is weird. I bet it gives most women the creeps.

A lot of it really does (obviously I'm speaking for myself). I find all the stuff like pulling out seats, opening car doors, et cetera to be really obnoxious. Like, not only are you treating me like a child, but you're wasting time in order to do it.

It's the little details that you do for one another that make a relationship special. For instance, I keep a warm moist towel next to the bed so my wife can clean her ass up after I cum in it.

Have you guys ever heard about opening a car door for someone?

Say you're both leaving the restaurant and getting in your car... this one girl expected me to walk around the car (we were coming from the driver's side) and open the passenger door for her.

This is where being a gentleman and courteous is just intrusive to the other's capabilities. It's not like we're getting in a cab together and entering from the same side... then it would make sense.

Anyways, when she mentioned it to me in the form of, "You're not going to open the door for me?" I knew she was a nut.

No on almost all accounts. I'll open doors for people, but only if they're at a certain distance away. I can't be asked to stand there all day when you have perfectly working arms.

entremet

Have you guys ever heard about opening a car door for someone?

Say you're both leaving the restaurant and getting in your car... this one girl expected me to walk around the car (we were coming from the driver's side) and open the passenger door for her.

This is where being a gentleman and courteous is just intrusive to the other's capabilities. It's not like we're getting in a cab together and entering from the same side... then it would make sense.

Anyways, when she mentioned it to me in the form of, "You're not going to open the door for me?" I knew she was a nut.

I've heard of it.

She's old school. Doesn't necessarily mean she's nuts, tho.

Like a poster said above, not everyone likes these behaviors as they are a hassle, but it appears the girl you're talking about it, expects it.

YMMV.

akira28

A lady opened a door for me once. Felt weird as fuck after that. I had to chop down a tree just to feel better.

a lady did that for me once, we were married 3 years. I finally tricked her by leaving the toilet seat up one night, heard a large splash around 2 am and never heard from her again.

edit: is this thing on?

Frostburn

Do them all, product of my parents mostly. I get complemented often for doing things like giving up my seat for someone. Little things make a big difference in everyday mundane life.

alvmew

I open doors for everyone - male or female, young or old.

I don't curse in public, only with friends.

I never recommend going out anywhere or doing anything, whether with friends, family, or in a dating capacity, unless I'm prepared to pay for all of it (of course people never let me, but I always try).

The putting on her coat thing doesn't apply much to me given I'm gay; and as nice as I try to be, unless the person is very old or injured, fuck giving up my seat lol

EDIT: Almost forgot - I always stand up to greet people besides my two best friends. Always ask people how they are doing and give eye contact, and if someone asks how I am first, I respond and ask the same of them. Always throws people at stores and restaurants off since people tend to not do that much around here lol

Kurita

I just hold the door for everybody.

As for seats, well only for pregnant women and old people. I don't see why you'd give your seat to a woman that doesn't fit these criterias though.

Split the bill at my first date with my gf, didn't even cross my mind to pay for her tbh

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
-Opening doors
Yup still do
-Walking close to curb
Yup
-Give up seat in public places
Not to often, but yes I do.
-Limit profanity
lol fuck that
-Pay for dates
It's always 50/50 with this kind of thing because once you do it, when should you stop?
-Put on her coat
Yeah that's a bit too old fashioned

Obviously this question is for men.

Just curious do you still follow was are considered traditional western gentlemanly customs?

Quick audit of gentlemanly behaviors with my comments

-Opening doors--I do this for everyone honestly, but especially women and older people.

-Walking close to curb--I think I do this instantly in all types of company.

-Give up seat in public places-I do this for both women of all ages and older men and children of all sexes

-Limit profanity--I don't use too much profanity IRL and much less with someone I just met. I don't mind profanity in known company for humorous situations.

-Pay for dates--I do this. If it gets serious we usually do round robin style. I got her, she gets me next. Or per venue. I get dinner, she gets drinks. Etc. But only in committed relationships not during beginning stages of dating.

-Put on her coat--I actually never do this. I think this is a probably too outdated in my experience. I only really do this for the huge winter coats if we go to a place with a coat check like a swankier bar or lounge.

Those are the ones I can think of.

If you know more, add those.
1. Hold the door for everyone.
2. Never heard of this until now.
3. Always do this.
4. I barely even curse nowadays.
5. I also do it the same way you do it. I pay for something, she pays for the next(it's cheaper than what I paid for)
6. I do it a few times.

I do most of these things on a regular basis and I've never seen a woman not appreciate it. In fact most of them are pleasantly surprised, which leads me to believe there are a lot of shitty men out there.

Disgraced

Does the not cursing in public custom extend into injuries or semi-drastic or drastic events?

I refuse to be held accountable for any curses I may blurt under my breath after stubbing my toe or bumping my head. Sorry children who are present, that fucking hurt.

Does the not cursing in public custom extend into injuries or semi-drastic or drastic events?

I refuse to be held accountable for any curses I may blurt under my breath after stubbing my toe or bumping my head. Sorry children who are present, that fucking hurt.

If you're clumsy, it helps to learn alternate words that sound like the curse words.

Fudge has gotten some usage around my 2 year old nephew.

ETIQUETTE
IN SOCIETY, IN BUSINESS, IN POLITICS
AND AT HOME

BY EMILY POST
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/14314/14314-h/14314-h.htm
When To Shake Hands

When gentlemen are introduced to each other they always shake hands.

When a gentleman is introduced to a lady, she sometimes puts out her hand—especially if he is some one she has long heard about from friends in common, but to an entire stranger she generally merely bows her head slightly and says: "How do you do!" Strictly speaking, it is always her place to offer her hand or not as she chooses, but if he puts out his hand, it is rude on her part to ignore it. Nothing could be more ill-bred than to treat curtly any overture made in spontaneous friendliness. No thoroughbred lady would ever refuse to shake any hand that is honorable, not even the hand of a coal heaver at the risk of her fresh white glove.

Sai-kun

Banned
i will never understand someone walking closer to the curb in 2015 lmao

i guess i open doors for everyone, and i try to limit how much i swear in public, or at least watch my tongue a bit.

v1lla21

Open doors and give hery coat when it is cold are as gentlemanly as I get.

I open and hold doors for everyone though so that's just out of habit. As far as the cold thing, she gets cold easily and I don't get cold even at low temperatures. I only wear a coat because she makes me.

Oh and I do give up my seat in public. It better be an elderly person, a pregnant lady, a lady with kids, a person with a disability, a person carrying heavy shit. Other than that I won't stand up.

Some dude told me he needed my seat because he needed to make a call. I just looked at him and said nah, I'm texting and I need both hands.

jesu

I just blaspheme when swearing isn't appropriate.

Samara

I open the car door for my mother or any other person who gets into my car. If my nephew are there, than they have to do it for her, we just learn from each other. Scolded my bf once for not doing it 8 months ago and he has since been doing it everytime.

And some people have no manners. My ex stood on his side and left me opening the car door by myself a week after I had a seizure. I could actually see him in the mirror just standing there while I was struggling. That was it.

I don't curse since I work with kids/parents. Summertime tho? Total sailormouth

I should add the coat thing to my bf, but he also puts my shoes on sometimes.

entremet

I open the car door for my mother or any other person who gets into my car. If my nephew are there, than they have to do it for her, we just learn from each other. Scolded my bf once for not doing it 8 months ago and he has since been doing it everytime.

And some people have no manners. My ex stood on his side and left me opening the car door by myself a week after I had a seizure. I could actually see him in the mirror just standing there while I was struggling. That was it.

I don't curse since I work with kids/parents. Summertime tho? Total sailormouth

I should add the coat thing to my bf, but he also puts my shoes on sometimes.

Damn, girl. You don't play lol.

elseanio

When walking and a path narrows to one person only, is it gentlemanly to let a girl walk first? Or is it better for the guy to go to ensure the route is safe?

Wag

ww17slap.jpg

Yep.

Kimawolf

The girl im talking to atm loves when i hold doors for her and stuff. I dont do the coat thing, that's strange, but i do walk on the outside of the curb for her. She told me its the first time a guy treated her that way.

Depends on the nature of the relationship. But yes i tend to do some stuff you listed. I tend to open doors. I never seat in a public transportation. There's always kids , women , elderly..let them seat (i also work in a desk so i like standing up). The curb thing , only with kids.

I have a dirty dirty mouth , but i tend to shut off if im with women.But if im in a relationship...nope. Dirty dirty mouth. That's me.

Pay for dates ? I dont really mind but a girl who blindly accepts it is a problem to me. Unless there's some cash problems.

The coat stuff i just ask the person if she's cold or something (if she forgot to bring something).

I loved to help my ex-gf dress. Not in a butler way lol. I always found it sexy as fuck.

It's the little details that you do for one another that make a relationship special. For instance, I keep a warm moist towel next to the bed so my wife can clean her ass up after I cum in it.

What a gentleman.

-Opening doors: For everyone

-Walking close to curb: For everyone

-Give up seat in public places: For everyone

-Limit profanity: Not particularly, but I do tone it down in public if children are close. I don't swear regularly anyway.

-Pay for dates: Split bill normally.

-Put on her coat: Nope.

Majority of these I'd see as just general custom. Being considerate/kind, I guess.

Makai

A lot of it really does (obviously I'm speaking for myself). I find all the stuff like pulling out seats, opening car doors, et cetera to be really obnoxious. Like, not only are you treating me like a child, but you're wasting time in order to do it.
No way anybody witnesses puddle-covering and doesn't laugh their ass off:

COAT-ON-THE-PUDDLE.jpg

Azulsky

I don't do any of those things differently for genders.

Holding doors open is just good manners.

Making sure not to bump into people yes.

Profanity I limit in general.

I've paid for friends food sometimes as some are still in the post college job search phase so $$$ is scarce. If they insist on paying for themselves I let them.

Offer to help get a coat if they have their hands full

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
I hold doors open for everyone. Limiting profanity is on a case-by-case basis, I don't want to accidentally offend someone. Helping someone with their coat only makes sense when at home preparing to leave. I haven't encountered a meal where we didn't go dutch (though we've only been on really informal group dates).

. Always ask people how they are doing and give eye contact, and if someone asks how I am first, I respond and ask the same of them. Always throws people at stores and restaurants off since people tend to not do that much around here lol

Nice. I feel like its only proper to ask as it brings up the mutual understanding that though they're at work and you are the customer both of you are still people. Not enough people seem to think of cashiers or other employees as real humans (I get that you mean it more generally, I just went in a retail/service industry direction).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I do all of them except the coat. Not enough instances for that to happen unless I'm donating my own jacket to my girlfriend when she's cold

-Opening doors--I do this for everyone honestly, but especially women and older people.
Same, but I don't actually stand there to hold the door open, it's just more efficient depending on the direction of the door (and while I enter I always leave the door open for the person directly behind me). Other cases are people holding stuff obviously.
If I actually let you pass while holding the door open, I definitely check out your ass though. 2 birds with one stone :p

-Walking close to curb--I think I do this instantly in all types of company.
Pretty sure I only do this with small children (traffic etc.).

-Give up seat in public places-I do this for both women of all ages and older men and children of all sexes
Only if the person visibly struggles to stand. Definitely not for young women (unless they are my company obviously), that might actually come across creepy. If I notice there's really no free place left in a Bus etc, I will offer it also to elders.
Why would I give my place to a healthy child though?

-Limit profanity--I don't use too much profanity IRL and much less with someone I just met. I don't mind profanity in known company for humorous situations.
To me that's more something you do in a professional setting? I don't really hold back all that much when with female company.

-Pay for dates--I do this. If it gets serious we usually do round robin style. I got her, she gets me next. Or per venue. I get dinner, she gets drinks. Etc. But only in committed relationships not during beginning stages of dating.
Only if I like that person. I will ask first though, several women think they are being pressured because of the notion that I may expect something in return.
If it goes long-term we also to that round robin thing.

-Put on her coat--I actually never do this. I think this is a probably too outdated in my experience. I only really do this for the huge winter coats if we go to a place with a coat check like a swankier bar or lounge.
I do it with dates sometimes, but it's often kinda awkward because I don't do it correctly haha. I take the coat off and put it up though.

ZaCH3000

Used to.
Got called/watched people get called white knights enough to stop mostly.
I mean just this thursday I walked into a building and saw a group of people nearly at the door I just went through, so I decided to just hold it open. The first person through was a woman with a cane as she walked by she gave me a huge glare and said "I don't need you".
what's wrong with people.

Dude what? My experience is the complete opposite. It's probably your presentation.

No way anybody witnesses puddle-covering and doesn't laugh their ass off:

COAT-ON-THE-PUDDLE.jpg

Why is he standing ankle-deep in the puddle?
If the puddle is as deep as where he stands, she will still get wet feet. She's not Jesus.
There's a high chance of her heels wrapping around the jacket, making her fall flat on her face.
She's not properly dressed for such a rainy season.
That's a sure-fire way of getting your bag mugged.
He's starring at her ass, not subtle at all.

and most importantly, why is she not walking around it???

I give up seat for all of the above and possibly more, but never for children. I don't see the point. Unless they can't balance properly and can't ride the tube standing up, but that never actually happened to me. If is like a family riding together, if I'm on a good mood I offer my seat so they can stay together if there are other seats available, though.

Would anyone mind telling me why we should give up the seat for a child?
It is actually harder for kids to balance.

I don't give up my seat to women on public transit. That's strange if not offensive, they'll probably take that to mean I think they're old lol. I do all the rest you listed though. It's common manners for all genders, not really gentleman upper-class behaviour.

Regiruler

1. I do this all the time. It understandably annoys some people if I time it poorly.
2. I do this because I like to challenge my balance a bit, never really considered it a "gentleman" behavior.
3. I can't remember doing this, but I also can't remember a situation where it would have mattered
4. I try to, to varying success.
5&6. Never been on a date, so never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom