• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Anthem will get a downgrade graphically?

A 680 barely even outperforms a ps4 in lots of modern games. Tho its hard to soeculate how much of it is down to kepler sucking vs devs just not optimizing for it

A 680 at the time was substantially faster. I had a 670 until about October last year and it still handled everything pretty well, only struggling with the more demanding games that used DX12 and such.

EA dont tend to downgrade, weirdly.

DICE games always look as good as they demo and Andromeda looked like shit in pre-release too.

A 680 barely even outperforms a ps4 in lots of modern games. Tho its hard to soeculate how much of it is down to kepler sucking vs devs just not optimizing for it

Even Framerate wise?

Coupled with what CPU?

Do we even know what CPU the PC's running the watchdog demoes where using? That would make a difference as well, no?

Surely if they where using 680's that outperformed either console at the time they wouldn't have used a jaguar CPU as well?

Regardless, the point is that we don't need to speculate that stuff here because what we saw was running on an X. This is a different situation to Watchdogs.

Ya but those don't look like noticeable downgrades at all. Battlefront especially, which had changes that were actually seen as upgrades in the final product.

I mean were there any actual downgrades?

They are very noticeable

Even Framerate wise?

Coupled with what CPU?

Do we even know what CPU the PC's running the watchdog demoes where using? That would make a difference as well, no?

Surely if they where using 680's that outperformed either console at the time they wouldn't have used a jaguar CPU as well?

Regardless, the point is that we don't need to speculate that stuff here because what we saw was running on an X. This is a different situation to Watchdogs.

All the downgrades were gpu intensive cuts tho

Even Framerate wise?

Coupled with what CPU?

If I remember correctly both WD games were CPU-bound as well, which could explain the notable decrease in quality on consoles.

borges

Banned
Not really, no.

Well, thats at least counterintuitive. If given more time, I expect a particular product will get better. Thats what typically happens with all the apps and systems I have developed in my life.
But who knows? Im not a game developer. Maybe the story is different there.

mortal

Gold Member
It absolutely will.

Whether the compromise comes from the scale or the visual fidelity or both, there will be a compromise.

The gameplay shown at E3 wasn't even real.

Togh

When was the last time a so called AAA game from west developer didn't get a massive downgrade?

Or, from the past 6 years, how much games did and how much didn't?

borges

Banned
You and I both know how this industry works. Doesn't matter what they say.

And it will likely look very similar, if not the same, on the Pro. Count on it.

Ha, I have an amateur idea of how the industry works. I mean, I can talk based on what I read here, some blogs and of course, my experience as gamer.
I cant recall many games demos being running on a console downgraded later. But I could be wrong here, sure.
Regarding PSP4PRO and Xbox One X, well, it remains to be seen, but based on the hardward specs delta, I guess it should be a noticeable difference between both versions. Similar to PS4 and Xbox One games on average til date.

David___

Banned
Well, thats at least counterintuitive. If given more time, I expect a particular product will get better. Thats what typically happens with all the apps and systems I have developed in my life.

It does get better over time in other areas, but there are usually compromises that would need to be made to make it better.

Matt

The product will get better. It will become a releasable game. However, to make that happen, often the idealized graphics first shown off will have to be modified.

borges

Banned
The product will get better. It will become a releasable game. However, to make that happen, often the idealized graphics first shown off will have to be modified.

I cant quite understand. I see a game being demoed using an ultra high PC downscaled to run on a console, but if the game is already running on an Xbox One X, why would they downgrade something that already works?

Pein

Banned
It's gonna like nice on the pro and better on the one x but I doubt heavily that gameplay was on anything but a super beefy pc. You just now they didn't port that segment and downgrade it to run, they gotta go hard and ran that shit to stun for the reveal.

Matt

I cant quite understand. I see a game being demoed using an ultra high PC downscaled to run on a console, but if the game is already running on an Xbox One X, why would they downgrade something that already works?
It doesn't already work. The game isn't done yet, not every system is in place, not every part is developed. What you saw was their vision of what the game will be, but it doesn't really exist yet.

Optimization (which usually results in the cutback, tweaking or removal of graphical features in order to get the game running appropriately well on the required hardware) is generally one of the very last things devs do for games. Generally speaking the further a developer is out from release at the debut of their game the more likely it is to see dramatic graphical changes prior to release.

Also, as Matt says, this is not the full game running on the HW this is a heavily scripted and tailored vertical slice meant to show consumers roughly what to expect from the finished product. It is by no means a portion of their current playable build if indeed their current build is playable at all.

David___

Banned
100% honest question: What kind of compromises?

Like if they decide they want more enemies on the screen at a time, they would need to free up resources and probably take a hit in draw distance or what have you to make it happen.

Obvious this is purely conjecture on my point.

Game isn't done. AI isn't probably done. Systems that they plan to release with aren't probably even made.

Vertical slices are very very polished demos that show what they're trying to make. They aren't really fully representative of what you're gonna see at release

borges

Banned
It doesn't already work. The game isn't done yet, not every system is in place, not every part is developed. What you saw was their vision of what the game will be, but it doesn't really exist yet.

Ok... I guess something like maybe AI is at the lowest for demo purposes, but then for the final product is much more demanding and then subsequently graphics need to be downgraded? In that case, yeah, I see your point. It makes sense probably.

not watching the videos linked. Are you saying battlefront was downgraded seriously?

Even in my phone its quite noticeable. In the case of bf4 the water and reflections got completely axed, particles nerfed to oblivion, a ton of light sources just completely gone, the lighting simplified, geometry simplified, ocean simplified

The battlefront straight up looks like cgi tagged as in engine

borges

Banned
Like if they decide they want more enemies on the screen at a time, they would need to free up resources and probably take a hit in draw distance or what have you to make it happen.

Obvious this is purely conjecture on my point.

Game isn't done. AI isn't probably done. Systems that they plan to release with aren't probably even made.

Vertical slices are very very polished demos that show what they're trying to make. They aren't really fully representative of what you've seen.

Yeah, I see your point now. Well, I guess its a matter of wait the final game. Hope (to have sth that look that amazing) is the last thing we should lose :p

Matt

Ok... I guess something like maybe AI is at the lowest for demo purposes, but then for the final product is much more demanding and then subsequently graphics need to be downgraded? In that case, yeah, I see your point. It makes sense probably.
Sure, AI is an example. But it can be way more than that. There could be no inventory system running. There could be no real netcode. Effects could be completely fake for the demo. There are tons and tons of things that could be going on here, not to deceive anyone, but to show what the developer feels is a good representation of the final game, which again, is a year and half off.

David___

Banned
Sure, AI is an example. But it can be way more than that. There could be no inventory system running. There could be no real netcode. Effects could be completely fakes for the demo. There are tons and tons of things that could be going on here, not to deceive anyone, but to show what the developer feels is a good representation of the final game, which again, is a year and half off.

I honestly can't imagine what any devs mental state is after having a successful E3 showing. I would think that they must be high as a kite knowing people want their game but now they know they're gonna have to match or exceed the showing in the full game and if not, they'll get torn to shreds. With game dev also being as unpredictable as it is, I would imagine it is has to take a toll on them in some way

MaddenNFL64

Obviously it's a vertical slice made for E3, so a downgrade is possible.

Anyone remember Halo 2? It had a vertical slice demo that looked nothing like the final game. It was pure bullshit, even worse than the Watchdog's, or Division demo's.

Still I think Bioware wants to hit their targets on graphic fidelity with this one. Those guys are definitely hungry after Montreal's Andromeda failures.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Obviously it's a vertical slice made for E3, so a downgrade is possible.

Anyone remember Halo 2? It had a vertical slice demo that looked nothing like the final game. It was pure bullshit, even worse than the Watchdog's, or Division demo's.

Still I think Bioware wants to hit their targets on graphic fidelity with this one. Those guys are definitely hungry after Montreal's Andromeda failures.
There's an incredibly detailed context behind why.

thelastword

Banned
Nope
. It looks good but not that good.

Also

Battlefront didn't get downgraded.
BF1 didn't gets downgraded.

So this is totaly doable especially on PC

No. Star Wars Battlefront exists. Anthem's graphics are achievable on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.
How many people really questioned Battlefront's graphics, especially when we heard they were using photogrammetry, which isn't as demanding as other forms of materials pipelines or varied texturework. Still the shortcomings in Battlefront are quite pronounced towards it's 60fps refresh.

The problem with the Anthem reveal is that a lot of that footage looked scripted. Pitching an open world game is fine, but the sections presented at E3 looks so linear and directed. Where were the alternate paths? you really didn't get the sense that you could traverse anywhere in that level. The water section looks linear, the storm section etc...At this point the world/levels looks really small and enclosed and it gives a sense that they wanted to wow with graphics, especially effects; water, explosions, storm (lightning, debris etc), but if it's open world, they will have to open up the sandbox and some of these effects may have to be dialed down a la Watchdogs.

Not saying these graphics are that great and can't be achieved, it's mostly some of the effects and the lighting that will be toned down to achieve a stable 30fps in an open world setting. Having said that, I'm not really impressed with the IQ so far, a bit too much post processing, it may have been a while since I watched, but I did get a hint of CA as well on the image, it's a bit too much on the soft side for the type of game it is tbh (lots of colors, bright, foliage, jungle)...

We'll see how it develops, but some aspects will be downgraded from what we saw at E3..

For those people saying it will look like that on PC and XBONEX. No it won't. Division does not look close to the reveal on PC, neither does Witcher 3. Downgrades affect all platforms.

Some Nobody

No, but if that's what got you then you noticed the wrong thing. It looked like Xenoblade X with Iron Man armor instead of Gundams, and the graphics are what I was supposed to care about?

I'll be more disappointed if there's nothing to do in the game outside of a few repeatable quests.

I don't know how you can have some people going so far as to say outright the game doesn't work nor exist yet. A bold claim considering the people saying this don't even work for the studio developing the game, because I assume if they did, they wouldn't seemingly be going so far out of their way to downplay the impressiveness of what was shown by more or less calling it smoke and mirrors.

Nothing demonstrated in the demo is anything that I could see as somehow not being possible on Xbox One X. You even had eurogamer point out a few signs that not everything was quite as perfect as it may have seemed from the gameplay footage. But even then, anyone that has played a Mass Effect title, and has seen some of the more impressive locations in those games, pretty much must have an idea of what could be made possible on a console as capable as Xbox One X. And they are more likely targeting Xbox One X for this game in a more complete and direct way, and are probably not just giving it the regular port enhance treatment on the latest SDK.

The first thing they'll have to do in the final game is find a way to limit, or at least, somewhat restrict, the flight ability, because no way can they really afford the resources to have the player fly wherever they please whenever while maintaining that degree of graphics fidelity. And, me personally, I feel Bioware has likely already solved that problem, because it's always been their goal. They will heavily control those flight sections. They will be more linear and controlled, so as to produce something looking very close to what was demonstrated. More specifically, if you're flying at all, there's a good chance Bioware has you on a set path where you don't have as much freedom as you might otherwise think. Sure, you'll have some decent maneuverability within a specific combat area, but you won't be able to suddenly take off into the clouds and fly to some vastly different location without first being effectively dropped into that hub.

There may be sections that are more free flight, but they won't look as stunning as the more controlled, linear sections. I see this as being more singleplayer campaign open world, rather than the kind of open world people have traditional come to associate with a game like, say, World of Warcraft or Skyrim. It'll be more in the realm of what people see in the latest Tomb Raider titles, only with different kinds of spaces designed to comfortably host a minimum of 2 all the way up to whatever they desire for their max player controlled character to be in a given location.

Anyways, pretty excited. I just think it's crazy people are assuming the game will look nowhere near what was shown, which seems to be the implication some are making.

I honestly think Bioware is making a more linear, scripted story driven title than some are expecting, which is why I feel they will nail the E3 gameplay shown. It'll be their definition of open world, but it won't feel 100% like other open world titles all of the time, or perhaps at any time.

As others have said, a downgrade will almost certainly happen. I'm not convinced it will even look like that on a high-end PC. Remember that Watch Dogs was never close to the original E3 reveal even when maxed out on a good PC.

I would love to be wrong, but we've seen too many cases like this that I would just be delusional to believe otherwise at this point.

HMD

The game pretty much looks impossible on current hardware, but Frostbite is sorcery so it might look close to that at release.

Top Bottom