• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Anthem will get a downgrade graphically?

jmartoine

It didn't look better.

Some other trailers, like Kadara Port exploration, was so bad it spawned countless memes and discussions.

The April 2016 footage looked considerably better than the final product. Pretty much everything we saw around E3 2016 up to release looked worse than anything seen before.

Renekton

The April 2016 footage looked considerably better than the final product. Pretty much everything we saw around E3 2016 up to release looked worse than anything seen before.
The April 2016 trailer did not look much better (edit: can you link it just in case I watched the wrong one)

The only trailer that looked considerably looked better was the leaked version of Drack's loyalty quest with far better lighting and shading.

Of course it will be downgraded.
I don't think the Bioware devs are trying to hoodwink us, as Matt said earlier in the thread this is what they think is their vision of the game.

But the realities of game development will hit them and no doubt imo they will scale back things to release a functioning piece of software.

If the game was a high end PC or XB1X exclusive it would look like the E3 demo seeing as Bioware would devote all resources to one high end platform.

Frostman

That second GIF is ridiculous! I'm having flashbacks to Deep Downs tech demo.

I feel in some areas the game could hit these visuals, such as in the first GIF. But weather effects like the second are not happening, and also the visuals when flying through the forest.

So i think it will probably receive some sort of downgrade across all systems (PC,PS4 and Xbox).

SkylineRKR

I'm not sure if it will be downgraded, it looked good but not impossibly good for Scorpio, high end PC and even Pro potential.

Its just that the cuts, camera and set pieces and all that were heavily scripted for show purposes. The final game will look different from that, the action might end up looking less epic because of functionality but I don't know if its going to be downgraded.

Snefer

This is true actually. Photogrammetry gives you a complete set of textures, and you tend to edit it less afterwards with shaders in the engine, and you get away with simpler meshes aswell. Traditionally made art tend to need to rely more on shaders.

Raide

I am sure it will get some downgrades but it will still probably be one of the better looking games of 2018. Frostbyte is an amazing engine, so it will still look awesome but the PS4/XB1 regular editions will look pretty rough compared to Highend PC and 1X.

This is true actually. Photogrammetry gives you a complete set of textures, and you tend to edit it less afterwards with shaders in the engine, and you get away with simpler meshes aswell. Traditionally made art tend to need to rely more on shaders.
I still do not unterstand what really what you guys mean by this. Why are meshes simpler as a result of photosourcing being a part of the asset creation process? What about the whole complex process and arduous process of setting up a material library? Of cleaning up the source diffuse from shadows and ao? What about creating the studio clean room for scanning?

What do you mean by "rely more on shaders"? As I see it, photogrammetry is all about shading and making your textures more reliant on their material properties (i.e. shading) rather than baked.diffuse details / ao.

John Wick

That looks like high-end PC footage and I mean top tier PC. No way it'll look that good on Xbox One X. In fact probably expect a downgrade on PC too. Looks way too good a bit like the original reveal for Watch Dogs

image.php

OP, for someone with a Gon Freecs avatar, you sure are a pessimist.

OT: I honestly don't think that Anthem looks any better than some games already released. Horizon ZD is in my opinion a much more visually impressive game. Don't get me wrong, Anthem looks superb, but I don't particularly think it's doing anything that we haven't already seen on PS4, much less PS4 Pro and the XB1X.

There's no reason to expect a visual downgrade, imho. Given that it's running on Frostbite (the engine that allowed for stunning BattleFront visuals at 60fps on consoles) and the fact that Bioware Edmonton actually know what they're doing, if anything, I'd argue that it'll likely see some improvements prior to release.

Have a bit more faith OP... just like Gon

I still do not unterstand what really what you guys mean by this. Why are meshes simpler as a result of photosourcing being a part of the asset creation process? What about the whole complex process and arduous process of setting up a material library? Of cleaning up the source diffuse from shadows and ao? What about creating the studio clean room for scanning?

What do you mean by "rely more on shaders"? As I see it, photogrammetry is all about shading and making your textures more reliant on their material properties (i.e. shading) rather than baked.diffuse details / ao.

Photogrammetry itself has no advantage/disadvantage on performance. Its purely on the art creation side. "Rely more on shaders" doesnt make any sense

patapuf

Who knows, but even if what is shown looks like that in the release version (on a high end PC), there will places where the game doesn't look as good. No game with a large scale can keep up stellar production values throughout.

cuate

Banned
i guess it could. maybe. hard to say at this point. it's possible. but, also possibly it may not. so I suppose you could kinda say it might. probably.

nOoblet16

There aren't many games that started development after the launch of current gen consoles and still got a downgrade. Most games got a downgrade because they were working on the game before they knew the specs of current gen hardware and they overshot it.

Also no Mass Effect Andromeda didn't get a downgrade, the animations were bad but that's unrelated to graphics and a product of not putting enough time and resources on animations. Graphically Mass Effect Andromeda is quite gorgeous and true to what we saw originally in first gameplay trailers.

SirNinja

It absolutely will get a downgrade. Frostbite's a lovely engine but no way in hell is Anthem going to look like that, especially on the original Xbox One.

Snefer

First of all because you get the very nice textures from it, so you dont need to rely as much on shape data for natural objects, while still look as "good" (subjective measurment, but still). Setting up a material library? What are you talking about, that doesnt have anything to do with photogrammetry per se? Delighting the albedo is pretty much completely automated process, there are tons of options there, plenty of software that do it for you. You also dont need to have a clean room for scanning. You can get quite good scans even going out with an iphone and scanning these days :)

It absolutely will get a downgrade. Frostbite's a lovely engine but no way in hell is Anthem going to look like that, especially on the original Xbox One.

Well yeah, clearly it'll be lower resolution... but outside of that, I fail to see how Anthem's visuals aren't possible on an XB1.

They are claiming an online open world gane with those graphics and interactivity, and show a scripted demo that is reminiscent of those Watch Dogs, The Division and RS:Siege demos,fake voice chat and all.
It's going to be downgraded to hell and back in animation, interactivity, size of the maps... The city in the demo was a straight cutscene too.
All this, coming from the studio and the engine that gave us ME:Andromeda.

Nah, I don't see this game getting a graphical downgrade, beyond stuff like resolution and textures for the base console models or whatever.

It's much more likely that the game is just janky as fuck like most Bioware games.

FiraB

Banned
The start is bullshit but the gameplay sequence wasnt actually all that impressive so probably not. I expect the gameplay to be nerfed more then graphics.

The demo was clearly a vertical slice where effects etc are turned up to 11 to showcase what's technically possible with the Xbox One X devkit (that's more powerful than the actual One X). The base PS4 and Xbox One versions will look nothing like this. I highly doubt a multiplat will surpass what the first party exclusives have managed so far.

The demo was clearly a vertical slice where effects etc are turned up to 11 to showcase what's technically possible with the Xbox One X devkit (that's more powerful than the actual One X). The base PS4 and Xbox One versions will look nothing like this. I highly doubt a multiplat will surpass what the first party exclusives have managed so far.
The demo looks leagues ahead the Uncharted: Lost Legacy demo, a much nore linear game with crazy cutscenes by one of the most visually proficient studios, running on a PS4 Pro.
And an open world game is supposed to have AI and dynamic systems that surpass that scripting, while showing better overall graphics?

Ushay

Still waiting for those comparison shots for EA games getting heavy downgrades?

Ubisoft seems to have left quite a stink on n GAF, understandably.

EA + Frostbite has been surprisingly accurate when it comes to preview/reveals to launches. Battlefront and BF1 look just as good as they did when announced.

I don't think it will be downgraded. With that said, I am definitely getting Division vibes when it comes to selling us a vision. Hopefully the A-team at Bioware will make good on the promise that is shown.

KageMaru

No, I expect it to look slightly better on the X actually. I don't expect it to look that good on the other systems. I'm not sure that would be considered a downgrade though. As always, it'll look best on the PC.

We don't typically see downgrades these days. Most of the downgrades were from games revealed or shown around 2012-2013. Gamers have learned and I think publishers know it.

Top Bottom