• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Capcom will make anymore BIG BUDGET Action Resident Evil games?

Do you think Capcom will make any more big budget ($35-$40+ million) games?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jawmuncher

capturevgkl8.png

First off I really want to point out the big budget part of this thread. I'm not asking if they're going to make action games. I feel like that's a given, especially considering Umbrella Corps just came out. I also want to add that neither Revelations 1 nor 2 were big budget action games. Hell at the time both of these games were meant to appeal to those who wanted the series to go back to roots in a sense. Plus with the case of Revelations 2 the budget really shows, not even factoring that it only costs 24.99.

While it's easy to think that capcom wouldn't drop big budget action RE games, considering the huge sales of 4-6. It still kind of makes me wonder if they'll really stick with it. Who knows how successful RE7 will be. It's possible it blows out every other RE game sales wise out of the water. However at the same time Capcom has finally shown that they know horror is viable, and the the old style also sells. So I wonder if this fact makes them also realize that there's no reason to kill off the action games either.

The Resident Evil community is quite fractured. I'm sure just in this thread there's going to be "I hope action RE is dead forever" and other such posts. Though i've always felt that capcom just needed to appeal to all of the groups with their own games. Since it is their fault the community is where it's at. With RE7 we have a return to horror and from what we are told something that is similar to REmake while being it's own thing. We have RE2make coming which could potentially be just like REmake and encompass the original fixed perspective and other elements from classic Survival Horror.

Right now the only group that isn't accounted for are the action fans. Unless you want to joke that Umbrella Corps was their game. Which lets all be serious here, was just an experiment for a new team and not much more. I feel the series is big enough to cater to all fan styles at this point so long as capcom plays their cards right. One year could be RE7 style games, an another classic style, and another action. The only type of compromise would be a mercenaries stand alone game. That would definitely cater to the action fans wanting this unique style of gameplay. Though at some point I would think action fans would want a RE action story experience again. Especially considering that's what it felt like Jake was being built up for.

Lastly I don't think any fans should blame one another for what games they like in the series. Some only prefer the old style, some only the action. I think what's important is that we all enjoy the universe and the many different experiences it has offered. Which is something worth celebrating even with the bumps it might have had depending on who you ask. I know this thread is a bit of a mess structure wise, but I really just wanted to lay it all out and see what the community thinks.

We can't lose stuff like this (RE6 GIF credit to Seyavesh)
9mRiwTE.gif
tumblr_nz2bdilMPa1rheorao1_400.gif
tumblr_m2eq1a7iGG1qb9a09o1_500.gif

They could also just give me a big budget action Dino Crisis game. That works too.

Mediking

I have some good news for you. I'm the director of Resident Evil: 8 Hells and it is a big budget action title.

Would be nice if they created a new franchise that wasn't held back by being a horror game.
I imagine they'll just keep making Revelations games unless RE7 bombs and they decide to go back to the old style

Jawmuncher

RE2Make got you covered.

If REmake 2 plays like RE4-6 that thread is going to be nuts. A lot of people are expecting that to be in the style of REmake.

-----

To those talking about a Revelations 3. I feel like if they ended up wanting to shift back to a all action focus, that they would just make a new RE sub series out of it.
Since the Revelations series at the time was all about trying to offer something different from the action mainline. So it changing into that would be a bit odd. Since it does seem outside of what has already been done, they want to keep identities separate.

Lime

RE6's budget and lack of commercial success coupled with Capcom's internal production troubles this generation are stacking the deck quite heavily against Capcom making a (super) big budget game again.

DpadD

Banned
Well It seemed like that was the direction it was heading with the Revelations "spin-offs" staying true to the franchise's survival-horror roots while the main series went more action.

It seems like that's getting flipped though, and I fully a expect more action-y "spin off" games from the series now.

Garlador

Honestly, I never knew why they didn't just use Dino Crisis as their "action" game and keep Resident Evil as their survival horror installment.

killatopak

Gold Member
If REmake 2 plays like RE4-6 that thread is going to be nuts. A lot of people are expecting that to be in the style of REmake.

I'm fully expecting them to go that route but still with fixed perspective and still a survival game. Like a more grounded RE5.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't think Capcom will ever make a big budget game again. Not unless someone else pays for it.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Given RE7's direction, I expect Revelations 3 to go full ham

Not sure how much money they'll find for it, though

obligatory community plug

Dy_Cy

On one hand, I really want Capcom to explore RE6's mechanics a bit further with a new franchise.

On the other hand, I really like Leon.

Miker

Think? Yes.

Hope? God, no.

Quite the opposite here. They don't have the money for anything like RE6, and even if they did, they'd put it into products that might actually make money back (mobile or otherwise). I don't think RE7 will set the charts on fire but it probably didn't cost as much to make, and they'll probably keep their budgets in check down the line.

I wish they'd just make Mercenaries its own subseries already. It wouldn't require such a big budget as a full-fledged single player campaign.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I wish they'd just make Mercenaries its own subseries already. It wouldn't require such a big budget as a full-fledged single player campaign.

Agreed, a standalone Mercs release would definitely help with the action cravings at a lower price point

vpance

If RE 7 flops, then maybe. RE 7 just looks.... bland.

RE7 will have big bang for the buck. At least that's what they're probably hoping for. I doubt it'll be capable of flopping hard since the budget must be 1/10th of RE6.

Shredderi

They propably won't be doing a big big budget game anywhere soon. Wouldn't be surprised if the real reason for RE7 being what it is is to keep the costs down by keeping the production values lower than before. I mean so far what we've seen has been doable by indie studios.

Hopefully they take a long break from it. We've been getting big bombastic action Resident Evil games for basically the last 12 years. I'm glad to see the series finally make a decent attempt to return to it's roots.

TyrantII

Honestly, I never knew why they didn't just use Dino Crisis as their "action" game and keep Resident Evil as their survival horror installment.

Cause CAPCOM. They're only manged to bungle their way to being one step better than Konami at this point.

At this point I just want REmake 2 to get out before the fold.

Yeah lets ignored RE4.

Excellent suggestion!

ethomaz

Banned
I hope not.

Make some action game like DMC instead and focus on real Resident Evil.

RE7 looks like the first RE and that is what I wanted IMO.

They propably won't be doing a big big budget game anywhere soon. Wouldn't be surprised if the real reason for RE7 being what it is is to keep the costs down by keeping the production values lower than before. I mean so far what we've seen has been doable by indie studios.

Indeed. They didn't need 400 person teams, or was it 600? on Resident Evil anyways. I'm sure the budget won't be tiny or anything but if it's anywhere near what re6 had I would be very surprised.

Jawmuncher

I really hate how every RE thread has to be Action RE fans VS Survival Horror RE fans. They can coexist, it doesn't need to be one or the other.

Sesha

I think so. I believe the original scrapped version of RE7 was probably a more big budget venture and that the current RE7 was reaction to their poor financial state in 2013-2014. They had the quadruple whammy of Dragon's Dogma, SFxT, RE6 and DmC all underperforming. Not only that but Deep Down and Panta Rhei has probably cost them a lot as well. They took a lot of risks and basically none of it paid off. Still now with SFV. But they are doing better financially now than 2-3 years ago. If they manage to right the course, I'm sure we'll see more big budget RE in the future. I think they'll never stop trying to become a big AAA publisher.

I really hate how every RE thread has to be Action RE fans VS Survival Horror RE fans. They can coexist, it doesn't need to be one or the other.

With the constant bickering between groups of fans it feels weird being someone who loves 1-4 + Remake and who is less than fond of the rest.

L Thammy

I feel like Dragon's Dogma and Resident Evil 6 may have convinced Capcom that huge budgets aren't their thing. Though maybe there's something smaller than that which is still "big budget".

I don't think Capcom is going to, but I would like one personally. I think it'd just need a bit more focus than RE6 had and we'd be golden. Less of Chris's scenario, and more of Leon's.

While a Mercenaries game would be fun, I still would like the exploration aspect intact without a small arena or timer.

The RE fanbase enjoys competing with the Metroid and Dark Souls fans for most insufferable.

Yeah.

I prefer horror over action but I still enjoyed RE4 and 5, and Capcom has shown they're capable of pulling off both styles well. So why does it have to be one or the other? Everyone can get what they want.

Horror fans are already getting what we want. RE7 and RE2make. Like it or not, action fans are a part of the fanbase too. The series was action-focused for over a decade, in that time it garnered a lot of fans of the style. That's not something you can just throw away and dismiss.

Hopefully not, RE7 looks like the best entry since Nemesis

Yep. I played through the remake nearly twice yesterday and 4-6 just aren't as good IMO.

I know some people apparently have it figured out that RE7 won't be like that, but I kinda suspect that it will be, actually.

I'd be cool with more Revelations though.

Neoxon

I think Capcom got the message with RE6 that said game's action isn't what people want for Resident Evil.

If they return to such action, it'll either be as a dedicated spin-off or it'll be closer to RE4 or the Revelations games in terms of horror-action balance. But this is just my guess.

Eventually they will but how long it will take is uncertain. A mainline game might be a while depending on the success of re7 and its direction. I'm open for it but I don't think the majority of resident evil fans are going to enjoy the drastic change.

Top Bottom