• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Capcom will make anymore BIG BUDGET Action Resident Evil games?

Do you think Capcom will make any more big budget ($35-$40+ million) games?

Results are only viewable after voting.

DR2K

Banned
You must be talking about RE4 in contrast to 1-3,0,CV,REmake before it.

No. Resident Evil 4 kept the world(characters/lore), atmosphere, type of action/horror that the games before it had. Like almost none of that is present in RE7. It's just a low budget VR game in the vein of games that aren't Resident Evil. Which we wouldn't even be discussing if Capcom hadn't named it after their biggest franchise.

Sanctuary

7's plot is tied to Umbrella. Gameplay and design is very similar to the original games just in a different perspective.

Yeah, keep saying that, even though we've yet to actually see anything that agrees with this.

Resident Evil 6
Release : Oct 2012
Platform : PS3, Xbox 360, DL
Units : 6.6 million units

Almost

As of Sept 2015, it was 6.3 sold, not just shipped. Haven't seen anything since then, but I guess it's possible that it sold another 300,000 between then and now.
/shrug

Sesha

Where are the cheesy lines and soap opera drama and the tone? So it doesn't check every single og re point. Where are the bows?
Fucking Grandma isn't frightening me either.

Plenty of cheesy lines in the demo between Pete and Family Man.

It did do crazy well, it did not under perform. Once again; their second best selling product of the companies history. People like to try to cast RE6 as a failure cause of critical reception and Capcom's initial disappointment in sales, but it isn't.

Selling less than the previous entry, with a higher budget is not "crazy well". And its the second highest sales of a single SKU. Street Fighter 2 sold more. Possible SSF2, RE2 and RE4 as well, as total sales are spread across multiple SKUs. Although its physical PC sales seemingly aren't included, so RE6 might be higher than we know.
The issue is the budget to profit ratio, not unit sales. There was a reason for their expectation of 6m. They wanted it to sell more because of the huge investment of budget and manpower the project was. Again, I bring up BvS. It did 800m+. It probably made its money back. Problem is, they wanted it to do at least 1bn.

As of Sept 2015, it was 6.3 sold, not just shipped. Haven't seen anything since then, but I guess it's possible that it sold another 300,000 between then and now.
/shrug

It's 6.6m now.

Xav

If Capcom want to make action 3rd person shooters. Go for it I say.

... just don't call it Resident Evil.

I remember when a certain Resident Evil game had too much action so Capcom turned it into Devil May Cry instead.

Protome

I don't think we will get one with RE6's budget but an action focussed RE will definitely happen again.

But when you release a game like RE6 you need to do something different afterwards. It may have sold well but given the low quality of that game and the near universal dislike of it, it's safe to say that a sequel which played like it would have struggled.

No. Resident Evil 4 kept the world(characters/lore), atmosheohere, type of action/horror that the games before it had. Like almost none of that is present in RE7. It's just a low budget VR game in the vein of games that aren't Resident Evil. Which we wouldn't even be discussing if Capcom hadn't named it after their biggest franchise.
It's set in the same world and we know the plot is tied to Umbrella in some way and they've been teasing connections to older games. We also know the design is very similar to the old games with puzzles, inventory management and enemies you can fight or run from. Also the idea that ever RE game has to star existing characters is ridiculous.
Also the game was in development and first person before they even made it VR compatible.
Yeah, keep saying that, even though we've yet to actually see anything that agrees with this.
The photo in the teaser and what they've said. But you can ignore things to fit your own narrative.

Protome

My reply to this is DMC2. Capcom didn't just drop that series from it's style after it's negative reception. So I feel like they know they didn't please everyone with RE6, but that it being an action game wasn't necessarily the reason why. Considering both 4 and 5 are were action and successful before it.
Very different Capcoms.
The Capcom of DMC2 era was able to pump out tons of duds and make up the money with the hits.
The Capcom of now needed Sony money to help fund a sequel to one of their biggest series. And then it under performed

Same exact marketing strategy, same exact reveal, same kind of tone.

Yes, it's definitely reactionary to the market. The market liked PT, and Capcom is trying to answer with their own variation on it.

PT was a quick job teaser to reveal a new Silent Hill game. Resident Evil 7 was in production before we knew about PT. You think they completely changed the game, vision, perspective a ways into development because of a not-demo to Silent Hill?

It's not even remotely the same strategy or reveal.

Sanctuary

Can't believe the numbers for Dragon's Dogma are that low. So many people are sleeping.

The photo in the teaser and what they've said. But you can ignore things to fit your own narrative.

Yeah, I will continue to ignore what some random PR babble said, and use my own eyes for when they actually show it. So far they've been all talk and no show regarding it being anything like the classic series in terms of gameplay.

PT was a quick job teaser to reveal a new Silent Hill game. Resident Evil 7 was in production before we knew about PT. You think they completely changed the game, vision, perspective a ways into development because of a not-demo to Silent Hill?

Capcom also lied for years, claiming that Alone in the Dark was not an influence on the original Resident Evil. They told Mikami to keep denying the influence until almost two decades later. Have they actually given a real date as to when the production of RE7 even started?

No. Resident Evil 4 kept the world(characters/lore), atmosphere, type of action/horror that the games before it had. Like almost none of that is present in RE7. It's just a low budget VR game in the vein of games that aren't Resident Evil. Which we wouldn't even be discussing if Capcom hadn't named it after their biggest franchise.

RE4 cheaply killed off the entire lore the series has been building up in the first 5 minutes and traded it in for ogres and robots. Leon and Ada had the same names, but they were basically new characters, i.e. James Bond superheroes out of nowhere. And just like their change, the atmosphere went from horror to thriller/action, excluding the few blatant ,,horror rooms" inbetween the battlefields, which were the clear leftovers from the superior looking RE4 build. You killed more enemies in that game than all the enemies of the previous series combined.
The (arguably very small) teases of item management and puzzle design in the RE7 demo were already more promising and more reminiscent of the series than anything in 4-6. I didn't like the art direction in the demo, but then the new trailer very much looked like classic RE. Imagining an old character in that environment is a perfect fit.

Protome

People are crazy bringing this up so much. Sure, the demo thing was PT, but the timescale of the game development shows it was more of a reaction to Amnesia's success.

People are crazy bringing this up so much. Sure, the demo thing was PT, but the timescale of the game development shows it was more of a reaction to Amnesia's success.

It could be that they thought Resident Evil would work in first person and allow them to carry over traditional RE gameplay elements but without feeling archaic-- first person can allow for more fine-tuned puzzle solving, far more accurate aiming obviously, your typical inventory management, etc. It can literally be traditional RE mechanics but without the shitty combat.

Perhaps there was some influence as most things are influenced by something, or multiple things. I think it's more than a little ridiculous to call this a PT clone or say that they're just trying to bank off its success. Realistically, PT was a success because it was free. Everyone got to download it so the exposure was pretty massive. And again it was also just a quick thing to shock-reveal Silent Hills. I doubt Capcom said "fuck it, let's do that, scrap everything because people liked this short demo thing!"

4chan Miyamoto is prophetic.
ViiLG.png

Adamastor

They way spin offs works these days I think there will always be an action oriented front. I'm one of those people that like old school RE. Tank controls and all. I tried 4 and it was enjoyable, but not the resident evil I wanted. 5 was worse and I never bothered with 6. VII is what 4 was, it's different so I'll give it a try, but in all honesty all I want is REmake 2.

Umbrella Corps and what ever comes next will happen if Capcom make money. So yes. As long as there's a market for it. There will always be some sort of action game that's in one way or another branded as Redident Evil.

Just make sure we get REmake 3 after and I'll be happy.

Protome

It could be that they thought Resident Evil would work in first person and allow them to carry over traditional RE gameplay elements but without feeling archaic-- first person can allow for more fine-tuned puzzle solving, far more accurate aiming obviously, your typical inventory management, etc. It can literally be traditional RE mechanics but without the shitty combat.

Perhaps there was some influence as most things are influenced by something, or multiple things. I think it's more than a little ridiculous to call this a PT clone or say that they're just trying to bank off its success. Realistically, PT was a success because it was free. Everyone got to download it so the exposure was pretty massive. And again it was also just a quick thing to shock-reveal Silent Hills. I doubt Capcom said "fuck it, let's do that, scrap everything because people liked this short demo thing!"
I feel like you either didn't actually read my post or meant to quote someone else?

ethomaz

Banned
Where are the cheesy lines and soap opera drama and the tone? So it doesn't check every single og re point. Where are the bows?
Fucking Grandma isn't frightening me either.
Who said it doesn't have cheesy lines and soap opera drama lol

The Grandma part (and the other demo) is just a VHS played inside the game.

If you think the main gameplay is like that then you will be surprised.

I can't remember hiding behind pillars in 1.
These are VHS parts.

You will kill zoobies (or what is infected) like original RE with the difference of using first person camera.

With a Revelations 3 maybe but with the way they are going with RE7 (I still kind of wish it was not first person but whatever) they are going to stick with more horror and less over the top action.

DR2K

Banned
RE4 cheaply killed off the entire lore the series has been building up in the first 5 minutes and traded it in for ogres and robots. Leon and Ada had the same names, but they were basically new characters, i.e. James Bond superheroes out of nowhere. And just like their change, the atmosphere went from horror to thriller/action, excluding the few blatant ,,horror rooms" inbetween the battlefields, which were the clear leftovers from the superior looking RE4 build. You killed more enemies in that game than all the enemies of the previous series combined.
The (arguably very small) teases of item management and puzzle design in the RE7 demo were already more promising and more reminiscent of the series than anything in 4-6. I didn't like the art direction in the demo, but then the new trailer very much looked like classic RE. Imagining an old character in that environment is a perfect fit.

I just disagree with you. If you played both games without a title one would obviously be linked to Resident Evil and the other would not.

Jawmuncher

No, I hope not. Action fans need to find a different series.

The elitism is strong here. It's not like action fans went and made those games are were even asking for it when capcom made RE4. Geez why so many people think different genres can't coexist in this series is crazy. The universe is huge for Resident Evil. Hell some of the action makes sense considering the scale they have to work with. Stuff like the BSAA make sense in a world plagued with biohazard threats. Not every encounter for people like that is gonna be a horror rich environment just as an example.

I feel like you either didn't actually read my post or meant to quote someone else?

Maybe I misread or something, if so my apologies.

Man, what?

Ganondorfo

Probably, do people still care about Resident Evil? The legendary Resident Evil team doesnt work at Capcom anymore. They are the "Evil Within" team now.

That's how Capcom chose to present it when it was revealed.

Look at all this non resident evil stuff. Inserts a Resident Evil 7 logo for shock value at the end.
You said "if you play both games", you can't even play RE7 yet outside of a teaser that's not even part of the game. They haven't even shown the main part of the game yet, just the vhs feature.
I can't wait till we see the main gameplay, likely at TGS.

I wish they'd just make Mercenaries its own subseries already. It wouldn't require such a big budget as a full-fledged single player campaign.

This is all I'm asking for really. RE6 mercenaries mode is greatness. Would hate for them to never revisit those mechanics again. Ideally, I would prefer if they keep the mainline series survival horror, but use their spinoffs to make the action games again.

Jawmuncher

This is all I'm asking for really. RE6 mercenaries mode is greatness. Would hate for them to never revisit those mechanics again. Ideally, I would prefer if they keep the mainline series survival horror, but use their spinoffs to make the action games again.

Mercenaries stand alone could be a lot of fun. Especially with spin off capcom characters in there. Like Frank westor Regina.

Lothar

Banned
The elitism is strong here. It's not like action fans went and made those games are were even asking for it when capcom made RE4. Geez why so many people think different genres can't coexist in this series is crazy. The universe is huge for Resident Evil. Hell some of the action makes sense considering the scale they have to work with. Stuff like the BSAA make sense in a world plagued with biohazard threats. Not every encounter for people like that is gonna be a horror rich environment just as an example.

This is like Star Wars prequels fans wanting more SW films like the prequels.

Neoxon

???

The best selling Resident Evil games are the action packed ones with RE6 and RE5 being Capcom best selling games on home consoles.

If anything the lesson learned must have been that there is really not that many people interested in Resident Evil games to justify those massive budgets and marketing campaigns but this is Capcom we are talking about so they just throw the towel and end up with P.T. redux.

Oh well, everything will be fine as long as they keep pumping out good Monster Hunter titles.
I was thinking more of how the fans & the critics backlashed Capcom hard for RE6.

I think yeah, but I hope pls pls pls no

Resident Evil 7 looks EXACTLY what I've wanted Resident Evil to be like ever since I played the original. Hope it gets crazy successful and the rest of the main franchise is in the vein of 7. Never want an action RE again or a half measure like Revelations. Just straight up, no nonsense, horror. First or third person is fine c:

MoonFrog

Well, tbh, I hope not. I enjoyed 4, didn't enjoy 5, and didn't buy 6 and came to see 4 as the herald of bad things to come, even if it itself was a good game. That happens sometimes. I mean Nemesis was already a 'meh' game in my mind, and clearly the franchise needed to shake things up, which 4 did quite well. 5 just gave up the balance between horror, atmosphere, and action that 4 had, in favor of straight up action. It was mildly fun in co-op while it lasted, but neither me nor my sister (who I played all Resident Evil with) were left with a good taste in our mouths.

As to Dino Crisis, again, I think I like heavier survival elements with the dinosaurs than just straight out dino killing. But I guess that could be the action franchise?

Oh and first person could be really great. It is a great perspective that I think more games should explore, tbh. Don't get the hate it gets.

Neoxon

Big budget? Yes.
Action? No.
This is what I was thinking.

The farthest I can see Capcom going with action in RE going forward is around RE4/Revelations levels. I'm not expecting anything on the level of Chris/Jake RE6 action in the future.

As for me, as long as Capcom keeps pumping out SFV updates, Monster Hunter games, & maybe MvC4, I'm happy.

Inspector Q

I really hope so, but I would want them to dial it back a bit to something more along the lines of RE4.

Make the co-op completely optional so I don't have to be stuck with an AI companion through the whole game.

Instead of straight point A to B level design, create environments that are more along the lines of the mansion or police station. Environments that you need to explore to find items and unlock new areas.

And of course, keep it third person. The first person view has unfortunately killed my desire to even play RE7. It's weird because I really enjoyed the hell out of Alien Isolation, but it's just not what I want out of a RE game.

Finally, keep the Merc/Raid mode for added replayability and I will be good to go.

Alrus

I don't think Capcom will ever make a "big budget" anything anymore. At least no in their current state of affair.

It did do crazy well, it did not under perform. Once again; their second best selling product of the companies history. People like to try to cast RE6 as a failure cause of critical reception and Capcom's initial disappointment in sales, but it isn't.
It was like twenty bucks two months after it came out...

Jawmuncher

This is like Star Wars prequels fans wanting more SW films like the prequels.

I don't understand why the fanbase is so stubborn. Were 1-3 and 4-6 vastly different? yes. Does that technically make them worse? No.

I just don't understand this mentality that its one or nothing for this series. When it's easily big enough to support both. With the two announced games already, a action game being added to that would satisfy all fan needs.

I can understand not liking the action games, some fans don't like the older games. I want there to be games everyone can enjoy. That should be everyone's goal not denying a fanbase because you disagree.

KyleCross

Capcom also lied for years, claiming that Alone in the Dark was not an influence on the original Resident Evil. They told Mikami to keep denying the influence until almost two decades later. Have they actually given a real date as to when the production of RE7 even started?
Some people who use to work for Capcom had stated that production of RE7 was in full-swing even before 6 released, and even back then this was the type of game it was. This would put it around 2011, so it's been in development for 5 years. The game was a response to Amnesia, not P.T.

Now, the marketing and the demo is no doubt because of P.T. But not the game.

Top Bottom