• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Capcom will make anymore BIG BUDGET Action Resident Evil games?

Do you think Capcom will make any more big budget ($35-$40+ million) games?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wagram

I don't know. Depending on the success of VII the action titles will likely be for the side stories. I'm hoping VII turns out fantastic myself because I personally think action was the worst thing that happened to Resident Evil. However, I don't think they need to disappear completely.

Jawmuncher

The franchise was in a desperate need of some new life after RE6 being the big wet fart that it was.

My reply to this is DMC2. Capcom didn't just drop that series from it's style after it's negative reception. So I feel like they know they didn't please everyone with RE6, but that it being an action game wasn't necessarily the reason why. Considering both 4 and 5 are were action and successful before it.

KyleCross

RE6's budget and lack of commercial success coupled with Capcom's internal production troubles this generation are stacking the deck quite heavily against Capcom making a (super) big budget game again.
???

Resident Evil 6 is Capcom's second best selling game of all time, just behind Resident Evil 5. Their (ridiculous) initial expectations for sales out of the gate were weaker but the game was in no way a commercial failure for them.

Who knows, if Resident Evil 7 wasn't already in development when 6 came out this might've caused them to keep the series action.

rhandino

Banned
I think Capcom got the message with RE6 that said game's action isn't what people want for Resident Evil.
???

The best selling Resident Evil games are the action packed ones with RE6 and RE5 being Capcom best selling games on home consoles.

If anything the lesson learned must have been that there is really not that many people interested in Resident Evil games to justify those massive budgets and marketing campaigns but this is Capcom we are talking about so they just throw the towel and end up with P.T. redux.

Oh well, everything will be fine as long as they keep pumping out good Monster Hunter titles.

Duxxy3

I doubt they will make a resident evil like 6 ever again. It was just far too bloated. I also don't think that RE7 is going to sell anywhere near what RE5 and RE6 sold.

ethomaz

Banned
How? If you just say "because horror" then I guess Amnesia, Silent Hill 2 and Alien Isolation are all the same games.
Survival sense, horror, inventory management, atmosphere, puzzles, exploration, and still to be showed the use of guns and others weapons.

It checks every single original RE point with exception of maybe the camera angle (and to be fair RE was supposed to be first person too).

TreIII

I can only hope that RE6's combat will somehow find a new home in a new Revelations or Mercenaries title.

Because as much as I would love to see it in a new Dino Crisis, the odds of that are infinitesimally slim...

JayEH

We'll have to see how 7 performs but I not only doubt it but also doubt Capcom makes any more BIG BUDGET games in general without the help of a third party.

Hopefully not, RE7 looks like the best entry since Nemesis

wtf haha.

Sesha

Honestly, I never knew why they didn't just use Dino Crisis as their "action" game and keep Resident Evil as their survival horror installment.

DC1 - 2.4m
DC2 - 1.2m
DC3 - Unknown but possibly 2-300k

Reviving Dino Crisis and making it a big action game would be a huge risk from their perspective.

My reply to this is DMC2. Capcom didn't just drop that series from it's style after it's negative reception. So I feel like they know they didn't please everyone with RE6, but that it being an action game wasn't necessarily the reason why. Considering both 4 and 5 are were action and successful before it.

Difference is RE6 was one of if not their biggest and most expensive production ever, while DMC2 was just another sequel in a time when games cost a lot less to make. DMC is also in a weird position in that since DMC2 it's always been under Itsuno's direction and (for DmC) supervision, while RE has had many different people responsible as producers and directors, with the big people behind the series all eventually leaving the company.

I hope not. Less is more, and AAA games are getting diminishing returns because of how bloated their budgets are.

I agree. Which is why they should reuse RE6's combat system for a dedicated Mercenaries game and not another game with the same scope as RE6.

???

Resident Evil 6 is Capcom's second best selling game of all time, just behind Resident Evil 5. Their (ridiculous) initial expectations for sales out of the gate were weaker but the game was in no way a commercial failure for them.

Who knows, if Resident Evil 7 wasn't already in development when 6 came out this might've caused them to keep the series action.

RE6 underperformed. The massive expectations was because RE6 was one of their biggest productions ever. Something can sell well and make a ton of money and still be a disappointment. Batman v Superman being a perfect recent example. When you have a massive production, just doing well isn't good enough. It has to do crazy well.

RSB

Banned
I don't know but I sure hope so. I really want to see another big budget action RE game that combines all the best aspects of RE4, 5 and 6.

My dream would be a game with the excellent encounter design and pacing of RE4 and the awesome gameplay of RE6. It would also have a side co-op campaign in the style of RE5. Both Mercenaries and Raid mode would make a return of course, and they would feature many different characters and stages from the series, with tons of secrets and unlockables.

Also Dragon's Dogma 2 please.

I think they'll just make Revelations series more action orientated to cater to action fans. I just hope they try to make them a more polished version of Leon's campaign from RE6 and not Chris's.

Also, hope to see a refined version of RE6 combat system in a new IP but I don't think Capcom would take such risks right now.

DR2K

Banned
They just slapped Resident Evils name to a new IP. Totally independent of the first 6 games in a desperate attempt to get as many sales as possible.

I don't understand how Capcom is in such a financial shit hole with tons of great franchises and great selling games, but here we are.

KDC720

I'm still waiting for RE6's combat system in a game with Operation Raccoon City's premise. It's too perfect not to happen.

Honestly I think it depends on how well RE7 does, I like the older and newer styles of RE, still a bit iffy on 7, but with REmake 2 also in the pipeline I'm optimistic about the series overall.

120v

capcom has always been liberal with RE. no doubt in my mind RE4-action style resident evil is far from dead. but as for whether it'll be AAA big budget, depends... throw them the coin and they'll gladly do it

KyleCross

RE6 underperformed. The massive expectations was because RE6 was one of their biggest productions ever. Something can sell well and make a ton of money and still be a disappointment. Batman v Superman being a perfect recent example. When you have a massive production, just doing well isn't good enough. It has to do crazy well.
It did do crazy well, it did not under perform. Once again; their second best selling product of the companies history. People like to try to cast RE6 as a failure cause of critical reception and Capcom's initial disappointment in sales, but it isn't.

Mechazawa

We can only hope. I couldn't care less about 7.

I'll say that 7's direction looks like a conscious effort at making a relatively cheap to produce game, whereas you could see allllll of the money in 6. So that probably puts a damper on them trying anything like that again.

A standalone Mercs in the vein of 6 would be neat, ESPECIALLY if it includes the awesome Tetris Attack mode DLC.

I have no doubt that there will be plenty of action in re7. People jumping to conclusions based on a teaser and a trailer has been a source of constant amusement for me. Some of you folks seem to think that re7 is gonna be some sort of steam green light walking simulator. Can't wait for those (ridiculous) expectations to be shattered.

If it continues going down the path of RE6 then good god I hope not, if they calm down and bring it back to RE4 then I'll be happy.

They just slapped Resident Evils name to a new IP. Totally independent of the first 6 games in a desperate attempt to get as many sales as possible.

7 is no more independent from the other games in the series than 6 was in. In fact it sounds like it has a lot more in common with other entries than 6 or 5.

Not on the scale of RE 6, no. Then again, I don't think Capcom will make anything on the scale of RE 6 again (besides maybe Deep Down if that is still even a thing). They will, though. Maybe RE 8 if RE 7 is a bust (FPS survival horror seems to hit a ceiling at 2 to 3 million copies), maybe a new spin off series.

Hopefully not.

And what we really should be hoping for is Vanquish spiritual successors from Platinum, not more crippled RE games like 5.

Big budget? No. Action? Yeah probably, I'm betting now that the main series is going harder on horror the spin-offs (Revelations 3 maybe?) will go harder on action.

Survival sense, horror, inventory management, atmosphere, puzzles, exploration, and still to be showed the use of guns and others weapons.

It checks every single original RE point with exception of maybe the camera angle (and to be fair RE was supposed to be first person too).

Where are the cheesy lines and soap opera drama and the tone? So it doesn't check every single og re point. Where are the bows?
Fucking Grandma isn't frightening me either.

Slaythe

Is it possible to have a game that does both atmosphere and action, done right :/ ?

Not a shitty first person "horror" game with barely any effort put it (and reused props everywhere), and neither a linear corridor where you shoot shit up.

Have good combat but make it sparse and pretty hard, make saving the game hard again, so that each encounter has tension, put an accent on exploration...

Please.

I'll take episodic releases of this rather than whatever 7 is.

Hell I'd also take a modern take on "outbreak" over 7.

T.O.P

Banned
RE6's budget and lack of commercial success coupled with Capcom's internal production troubles this generation are stacking the deck quite heavily against Capcom making a (super) big budget game again.

Almost 7 million copies sold is "lack of commercial succes" ?

It's their second best selling game of all time

Sanctuary

RE6's budget and lack of commercial success

Hmm?

and, by October the same year, had sold 5.2 million copies worldwide, becoming one of Capcom's best-selling video games.

Almost 7 million copies sold is "lack of commercial succes" ?

It's their second best selling game of all time

They didn't have almost 7 million sold. It sold 6.3 million total, and that 7 million figure was what they initially expected it to sell, before lowering expectations.

You must be talking about RE4 in contrast to 1-3,0,CV,REmake before it.

/yawn.

Is it possible to have a game that does both atmosphere and action, done right :/ ?

Not a shitty first person "horror" game with barely any effort put it (and reused props everywhere), and neither a linear corridor where you shoot shit up.

Oh, you mean this?

Resi4-gc-cover.jpg

Although I'm not sure what you mean by "action" since you then go on to complain about shooting things...which is how the first Resident Evil games played too. Because other than RE4, Dead Space, and to a lesser extent Dead Space 2 were the only action/horror games that were nearly balanced in terms of action and atmosphere.

Dy_Cy

Have good combat but make it sparse and pretty hard, make saving the game hard again, so that each encounter has tension, put an accent on exploration...

Please.

I'll take episodic releases of this rather than whatever 7 is.

Hell I'd also take a modern take on "outbreak" over 7.

The Evil Within had good gameplay and great atmosphere.

Real answer?
-If RE7 is a smash hit then no or at least not until they've beaten RE7 style games into the ground.

-If RE7 is a moderate success then RE8 will probably try to split the difference in a way that satisfies no one but does result in the creation of yet another strand of RE fan (this is obviously the darkest timeline).

-If RE7 tanks then this almost certainly spells doom for Capcom. They'll most likely make Revelations 3 to help fund RE8 which will probably be another action title but will most likely be a mostly single player game as they will probably strive to make it like RE4.

RE4-6 has more in common with classic RE than 7 ever will.

Only if the developers are completely lying about 7 a couple of months before its release. I.e. no.
RE4 might as well have been another Devil May Cry because it was so far away from the rest of the series.

T.O.P

Banned
They didn't have almost 7 million sold. It sold 6.3 million total, and that 7 million figure was what they initially expected it to sell, before lowering expectations.

Resident Evil 6
Release : Oct 2012
Platform : PS3, Xbox 360, DL
Units : 6.6 million units

Almost

Skeeter49

The Resi fanboy in me: Hopefully not, Resident Evil is and always will be a horror series, the focus on action has just made awful games, when I'd put Remake and 2 as some of the best games ever made.

Keep the action heavy stuff on smaller games like Umbrella Corps, so they'll fail and push Capcom to make big Budget horror games.

The real answer from me: it depends on Resi 7's and Resi 2's sales, since their focus will be on horror, or 2's focus better be on horror. In terms of combining horror with action, Revelations 2 did a good job, and that was a smaller game, I enjoyed that way more than 5 or 6, or even Revelations 1, so I'd love a Revelations 3, especially if Claire isn't in 7

halfbeast

Banned
I fear they won't be doing anything big budget.

-If RE7 is a moderate success then RE8 will probably try to split the difference in a way that satisfies no one but does result in the creation of yet another strand of RE fan (this is obviously the darkest timeline).

I'm morbidly curious to see this happening.

Whompa02

First person
Horror
House

Must be a PT clone!

Same exact marketing strategy, same exact reveal, same kind of tone.

Yes, it's definitely reactionary to the market. The market liked PT, and Capcom is trying to answer with their own variation on it.

This is absolutely not a coincidence.

Top Bottom