• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Capcom will make anymore BIG BUDGET Action Resident Evil games?

Do you think Capcom will make any more big budget ($35-$40+ million) games?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lately I've realized that I like action-horror with some survival elements more than straight up survival horror. I recently replayed REmake and Resident Evil 2 for the first time since they came out and while the former was every bit as good as I remembered, I honestly thought the latter was kind of bad and I've been putting off Nemesis, Zero and Code Veronica (I've never played the last two) because of this revelation. I get the feeling I'm going to come away from this convinced that REmake is the only truly great game from Resident Evil's classic era. Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, remains my favorite in the series, and I enjoyed RE5 and Revelations quite a bit.

So, I guess you could say I want more action games. Or rather, action oriented games with good atmosphere and a hint of survival here and there. I'm not sure what to think of RE7 yet, other than praying that it feels like any previous RE game and not something like Amnesia, Outlast, etc.

Voliko

RE has been an action series for longer than it was a "survival horror" series. I don't see why both can't exist and I think both would sell well enough. There shouldn't be another RE with a budget like 6's. Six tried to do too much, and none of it is really high caliber. Honestly with this new one being a mainline game I don't see a big budget action title anytime soon. Side-games yes, but not mainline. Unless 7 tanks hard. There's no doubt in my mind it will not sell as much as 5 or 6, but then again any kind of RE wouldn't after 6's reception.

Fury451

Banned
Hopefully not, RE7 looks like the best entry since Nemesis

Disagree. If you were to remove the famous title from it it looks like any other modern indie horror game except with some better production values.

It remains to be seen whether it is a good addition to the series.

Besides, the game that really went full bananas into the bizarre action goofball territory is the one that everybody loves, Resident Evil 4. So you have the success of that to blame for everything you disliked after.

Jawmuncher

Disagree. If you were to remove the famous title from it it looks like any other modern indie horror game except with some better production values.

It remains to be seen whether it is a good addition to the series.

Besides, the game that really went full bananas into the bizarre action goofball territory is the one that everybody loves, Resident Evil 4. So you have the success of that to blame for everything you disliked after.

People like to pretend 4 isn't an action game for some reason.

Korigama

I see Capcom as the sort of company that only rarely learns from its mistakes, so I wouldn't consider it outside of the realm of possibility for them to make another bloated, Michael Bay-esque Resident Evil down the line.
Pretty sure no one does this. RE5 made it rather clear that Capcom had no idea what made RE4 work when they tried to mimic it with that game, however, and RE6 went so far off the rails that it actually made 5 look good in retrospect.

It's this weird internal debate every fandom has. "Resident Evil 6 sucks, make it scary again." and guess what Capcom does not only due to fan backlash but also because of the success in the indie horror such as Amnesia, and Outlast and now it's different. It's still a necessary change for the series though. It would suck if Capcom learned nothing and made Resident Evil 6.5 or copied The Last of Us and learned the wrong lessons from that.

The demo for VII was great though and that setting of the decayed house in the desolated swamps of Louisiana with that weird family is probably the most brilliant decision Capcom's made regarding this franchise.

Oh yeah, Resident Evil 6 selling the best meant nothing. The game had a large budget and a giant amount of overhead that made profitability impossible. Batman v Superman made 800 million worldwide and yet, seen as a disappointment.

I've noted that Capcom had a pretty steep decline this generation. All of their major titles have seemingly been funded, at least in part, by the console manufacturers.
Dead Rising is being paid for by MS, Street Fighter was at least partially paid by Sony, and Nintendo is more than likely helping out in some way with Monster Hunter.
They've put out a lot of low budget titles (a lot of them RE spin offs for some reason) and RE7 is the biggest thing they have and it looks a bit low budget.
Not too sure why this is the reason, but they've been hit pretty hard by the new generation.
I guess my opinion on the topic of Capcom making horror games isnt' too valid as I'm not a big fan of the genre, but Capcom got good at making 3rd person shooters but making a game that has good gameplay/combat scary is hard which I'm guessing is partly the reason horror games kind of went away for awhile. Making a spin off without being limited by horror (slower paced 3rd person shooting) might be good. The movies aren't too scary and are more action movies if I'm remembering that right.
RE7 might still be good, but they need to show some form of combat. I'm not too sure it'll control too well and I imagine many people have doubts about it. We'll see.

Lothar

Banned
I don't understand why the fanbase is so stubborn. Were 1-3 and 4-6 vastly different? yes. Does that technically make them worse? No.

I just don't understand this mentality that its one or nothing for this series. When it's easily big enough to support both. With the two announced games already, a action game being added to that would satisfy all fan needs.

I can understand not liking the action games, some fans don't like the older games. I want there to be games everyone can enjoy. That should be everyone's goal not denying a fanbase because you disagree.

I'm bitter about not having a RE game in the style I like since 2002. I've seen the series I used to love cater to a different group of fans of 14 years. Now I want to be exclusively catered to again. *folds arms*

DR2K

Banned
You said "if you play both games", you can't even play RE7 yet outside of a teaser that's not even part of the game. They haven't even shown the main part of the game yet, just the vhs feature.
I can't wait till we see the main gameplay, likely at TGS.

Consisting the budget, do you think the main game will be vastly different to the demo that millions of people played/watched?

Sanctuary

Lately I've realized that I like action-horror with some survival elements more than straight up survival horror. I recently replayed REmake and Resident Evil 2 for the first time since they came out and while the former was every bit as good as I remembered, I honestly thought the latter was kind of bad and I've been putting off Nemesis, Zero and Code Veronica (I've never played the last two) because of this revelation. I get the feeling I'm going to come away from this convinced that REmake is the only truly great game from Resident Evil's classic era. Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, remains my favorite in the series, and I enjoyed RE5 and Revelations quite a bit.

That's really not a fair comparison at all. You should have simply played the original, non remake version of Resident Evil before writing off RE2 and proclaiming REmake so much better. Of the original games, RE2 was the best. It simply didn't get the REmake treatment that had originally been planned.

People like to pretend that RE 0-3 and CV aren't action games for some reason.

135787-resident-evil-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Nothing screams "not action" like Generic Rambo with a shotgun.

4 had a great director who knew what he was doing. It's delusional to think they could recapture the magic of 4 without him.

He did 1, 4, and REmake. However, he also did The Evil Within, which is worse than all of them in terms of pacing.

ethomaz

Banned
Consisting the budget, do you think the main game will be vastly different to the demo that millions of people played/watched?
The demo is not even the main RE7.

Even the last trailer is only a VHS flashback to put you in perspective of another character.

Jawmuncher

I'm bitter about not having a RE game in the style I like since 2002. I've seen the series I used to love cater to a different group of fans of 14 years. Now I want to be exclusively catered to again. *folds arms*

See I can understand that, I want the old school horror fans to get their games. I personally was always wanting that. I never felt it was fair how everything was action for so long until basically the rereleases of RE0 and REmake with code Veronica hd a bit before that.
If the series shifts and main stuff is horror I'm cool with that. I'll play anything RE regardless. But I would like even if they don't go huge budget, that they offer more than the budgets they gave umbrella corps and the Revelations games. Some say it's better than nothing, but when your budget really shows it just hurts the experience.

Sanctuary

The Evil Within also had the problem of him having allowed too many people on the team to provide input on how he made it, IIRC.

The game felt great until after chapter 4.

It wasn't really a direct comparison. I didn't dislike RE2 because I had played REmake, and I did play the PS1 version of RE back when it originally came out. REmake shines because it's taking a game I already liked and made it better. On the flip side, I have many issues with RE2 that will likely be carried over to REmake 2, because after all it is a remake. I don't expect this to be a popular opinion.

It's still not a very good comparison. Objectively, REmake is the better game, but there was no REmake 2. I'd also like to hear what issues you had with RE2. The only glaring issue I found with it was how the police station was just THE MANSION redux and laid out in a pretty nonsensical way, and that it having puzzles and traps made absolutely no sense either. But it was just some random gameplay elements, so I didn't overthink it that much.

Oh, and the screwed up level design in the sewers that seemed to be unnoticed by the population at large. :)

That's really not a fair comparison at all. You should have simply played the original, non remake version of Resident Evil before writing off RE2 and proclaiming REmake so much better. Of the original games, RE2 was the best. It simply didn't get the REmake treatment that had originally been planned.

It wasn't really a direct comparison. I didn't dislike RE2 because I had played REmake, and I did play the PS1 version of RE back when it originally came out. REmake shines because it's taking a game I already liked and made it better. On the flip side, I have many issues with RE2 that will likely be carried over to REmake 2, because after all it is a remake. I don't expect this to be a popular opinion.

Sanctuary

I don't think it really got going until chapter 3, really.

Regardless, it steadily goes from classic Resident Evil and heavy on the atmosphere to Resident Evil 5, and generic and bland third-person shooter. I still enjoyed it quite a bit overall, it's just that I didn't like the pacing or schizophrenic gameplay. It felt way too much like it was wanting to be "the best of every Resident Evil" instead of it's own consistent thing.

I-hate-u

Depends on how well RE7 does. If doesn't do well, the question should be changed to, do you think Capcom will make anymore BIG BUDGET games period?

Some people who use to work for Capcom had stated that production of RE7 was in full-swing even before 6 released, and even back then this was the type of game it was. This would put it around 2011, so it's been in development for 5 years. The game was a response to Amnesia, not P.T.

Now, the marketing and the demo is no doubt because of P.T. But not the game.

Five years of full production (six to seven if we count preproduction)?

Development began February 2014. There seems to have been previous project that was scrapped, but they're probably not talking about it for PR reasons.

Okay, yeah. Makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Sesha

Some people who use to work for Capcom had stated that production of RE7 was in full-swing even before 6 released, and even back then this was the type of game it was. This would put it around 2011, so it's been in development for 5 years. The game was a response to Amnesia, not P.T.

Now, the marketing and the demo is no doubt because of P.T. But not the game.

Development began February 2014. There seems to have been previous project that was scrapped, but they're probably not talking about it for PR reasons.

As for me, as long as Capcom keeps pumping out SFV updates, Monster Hunter games, & maybe MvC4, I'm happy.

Didn't you want DMC5 as well?

Whompa02

PT was a quick job teaser to reveal a new Silent Hill game. Resident Evil 7 was in production before we knew about PT. You think they completely changed the game, vision, perspective a ways into development because of a not-demo to Silent Hill?

It's not even remotely the same strategy or reveal.

Yes, before WE knew, but that doesn't say anything about the development at all.

It was the EXACT same reveal, even the surprise title card and "download the demo now" was on the same exact lines of PT/Silent Hills.

PT was a teaser, but I would wager Guillermo del toro and Kojima were developing tons of ideas years beforehand and Capcom absolutely reacted to that.

Same reaction they had to Mortal Kombat's single player and haphazardly cobbled a half assed rush.

Happens all the time with companies and their competitors.

I'm sure they'll continue in that type of direction with other games along with Mercenaries.

omg pls dont quit doing mercs :(

Top Bottom