• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does clipping ruin a game for you?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I refuse to play anything with clipping. That's why I only play Tetris.

... nah. It's kinda inevitable for a 3D game to have clipping models. There are other relatively minor aspects of a game that can bother me a lot more, like having low anisotropic filtering. "Soupy" textures are much more distracting than a sword clipping through a scarf.

Clipping bugs me when enemies straight up attack you through walls/obstacles. *Glares at Souls/Bloodborne*

While this is by no means exclusive to Souls games, you can also attack the enemies through walls. So at least it's a fair situation.

Neith

Banned
Most games have some form of clipping if they are massive 3d games. I don't mind a tiny but. But the Souls series takes it way too far. I can't stand it in those games. Fix the damn clipping to at least a point it doesn't stick out with every movement.

Haunted

I know how hard it is to do proper collision mapping for dynamic and dynamic-looking environments keeping every PC and NPC animation and interaction in mind, so I don't really mind those so much when they do happen.

But I do dislike it when there's clipping on my character (most often shield/weapon going through clothing/cape etc) during the idle stance or during the most common run animation. That's shit you should be able to easily check beforehand.

The only time it's really bothered me is in very, very graphically realistic games where people clipping through things suddenly becomes a surreal nightmare.

It can bother me when it is really apparent in an cut scene. Feels sloppy to just leave it in then. Recently I played murdered soul suspect and during an cut scene where someone had been shot, lying down and it was supposed to an emotional scene, all I could think about was the fact the characters long hair was sticking out from her sweater in front of her. Not really subtle.

Always appreciated it in Thief 1/2 when the guards would clip their heads through the door, making them an easy blackjack target.

Emitan

Sometimes in an MMO I'll purposely use a different piece of armor or different hairstyle to avoid clipping but clipping is basically inevitable so I'd never let it ruin things for me.

-shadow-

No, not at all. But it does bug the hell out of me in Zelda games that Nintendo never bothers to fix Link's hat going through his sword and shield. I mean seriously? It's what were looking at 99% of the gameplay time!

grimmiq

Unless the only good thing about the game is the graphics (The Order 1886), clipping won't ruin it, though it can get frustrating if the game is long. There's a lot of hairstyles in FFXIV I would love to use, but most of those clip terribly, so I don't use them, which is a shame.

Mephala

Sometimes in an MMO I'll purposely use a different piece of armor or different hairstyle to avoid clipping but clipping is basically inevitable so I'd never let it ruin things for me.

This is a good one. While it doesn't ruin the game if I can avoid it I will definitely choose to. In this case I have often upgraded armor only to realize how badly it clips in gameplay or actions. I'd often revert or try to swap out as soon as possible.

drkOne

I’m more weirded out when a game tries its hardest to avoid clipping.

I think that Uncharted was the first game that shocked me like that, and I spent way too much time making Drake clip through the environment

It annoys me because any time I take a vague interest in cosplay I realise that I can never recreate that "gun clipping through my bicep" look just right and give up.

I only really notice it in RPGs where two items of clothing/armour obviously clash with eachother. I couldn't wear any armour with a high collar in Witcher 3, for example, because Geralt's beard would clip through it very noticeably.

atr0cious

Depends on the game. In R6 seige, for the longest, you couldn't go prone in a corner without clipping through a wall, really killed the mood getting shot up in a barricaded room because of it.

DPB

No, but it sometimes dictates what I have my character wear. I don't like having to look a weapon constantly clipping through the shoulder, helmet or hat.

While this is by no means exclusive to Souls games, you can also attack the enemies through walls. So at least it's a fair situation.

Your options to attack through walls are more limited. If you hit a wall with a sword it will bounce off, while the enemy's attack animation will not be affected.

redcrayon

Can't say it's ever bothered me beyond a moment of humour at it, let alone 'ruining' a game. To play a game is to suspend disbelief for me, if I can believe people can run and jump around at full effectiveness at 1/4000 hit points, I'm ok with rendering limitations having their staff hover on their back.

Clipping for weapons or accessories don't bother me when its a game where there are tons of items. I can deal with some of them clipping.

When its a set costume or hair. Nah, your shit should not clip through a character model at all. Maybe a part of the costume I can deal with, but stuff like SFV where Laura's hair clips through her or Birdes chain... common man these are the base costumes that don't change. How is there clipping. And more.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, but it feels lazy when it's super obvious and constantly visible. I understand that completely eliminating clipping is all but impossible (can't run collision checks on every polygon against every other), but something I'm gonna be staring at for 30 hours should not have blatant clipping issues.

Ahasverus

It bothers me a lot, especially in dramatic scenes.

Devs, please watch the cutsecenes you design, and if there's clipping I'm sure you can fix it for the cutscene only.

I would never play games if it bothered me that much.

I notice it often in practically every game I play but I don't care that much.

I don't mind the occasional clipping but it's frustrating when it's in something premade by the devs. For example, there's a preset CEO outfit in GTA Online that have the shirt clipping through the back of the trench coat. It's one of the selectable presets! Did no one see it? I think they fixed it now but it was annoying.

ghibli99

It was really distracting for a while in HZD after the great character/world interaction of BOTW... but it fades pretty quickly. As long as the game is fun and they aren't actually bugs, it's all good.

Laura during the character select screen, annoys me every time.

https://imgur.com/Z1hUSeK

Yep, with you on this. Generally I don't mind clipping when it's a rare, unimportant thing that's clipping, but Laura's hair clips through everything and since you're looking at the character models all the time (especially when the zoom in for win poses etc) it's very distracting. I was a Laura main too when playing SFV. :(

weltalldx

I would think that with 8GB of ram, this generation of consoles would have solved immersive breaking graphical features such as, clipping, 2d foliage and enemy despawning.

The ongoing use of such cheap rendering techniques just goes to show that many games these days aren't anymore complex than earlier games, only using more texture resolution and post processing to give the illusion of complexity.

Why is it that with 8G of ram, most games still have enemies disappearing after they are eliminated?

Ahasverus

I would think that with 8GB of ram, this generation of consoles would have solved immersive breaking graphical features such as, clipping, 2d foliage and enemy despawning.

The ongoing use of such cheap rendering techniques just goes to show that many games these days aren't anymore complex than earlier games, only using more texture resolution and post processing to give the illusion of complexity.

Why is it that with 8G of ram, most games still have enemies disappearing after they are eliminated?
I agree. Compared to last gen with HALF A GIG, I don't for the life of god see where the RAM is going in most games. The Witcher? I know, the world is humongous, but most other games are nowhere as complex.. where do the other 7.5 half gigs go?

score01

Doesn't bother me at all when it happens. It's just one of those video game tropes I don't even notice any more.

I stopped playing SFV for over a year because I was that irritated by Chun. Its still fucking awful but i play Mika who isnt too bad besides her hair occasionally

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree. Compared to last gen with HALF A GIG, I don't for the life of god see where the RAM is going in most games. The Witcher? I know, the world is humongous, but most other games are nowhere as complex.. where do the other 7.5 half gigs go?
What about games like Last Guardian. Trico's AI, animation and feathers. I dont think game would worked on PS3 or 360.

Ahasverus

What about games like Last Guardian. Trico's AI, animation and feathers. I do think game would worked on PS3 or 360.
Yes there are great exceptions, but they are, well, exceptions. Does this gen really feel like a 16x jump in complexity? Even great looking games like Rise of the Tomb Raider have a complete 360 version.

I know, it's not lazy devs, but perhaps, just perhaps, priotities could be better sorted out. Same goes with the space requirements/lack of compression.

It's like FFXV. Those food models are photorealistic, but characters have all this clipping and wooden animations that it sours on the experience.. was it really worth it to dedicate hundresds of man hours making that food to look real when the game needed work in other parts?

Mathieran

Banned
No, I'm willing to let most things go because I understand how difficult it is to make a game. Clipping especially seems like a really challenging problem.

Top Bottom