• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Dragon Age Inquisition get better?

Ludens

Banned
So, I bought DA:I for PS4, GOTY Edition, for 15€. I really loved Dragon Age: Origins, getting 100% on it and playing basically for months.
I dumped Dragon Age 2 after a while because it was too boring and repetitive, and with Inquisition I'm facing exactly the same problem.
The pacing is terrible, the plot is uninteresting, the main character is, yet again, another chosen one. The game forces you to do fetch quests in order to open up new main missions, and you need also to be around the suggested level, otherwise you will die a lot.
So you can't simply rush the story, you need to play the game as Bioware decided, no matter what. So I'm wandering around, cleaning the map from markers, fighting mobs, and eventually open up a new story mission. Fetch quests are terrible, repetitive, uninspired, it's just a collectaton. But even the plot is boring, it moves too slow, dialoges are not "dynamic" like, in example, The Witcher 3.

So, does the game get better after a while, or it will be the same stuff until the end?

Also the game on PS4 is terrible, a lot of frame drops and even stuttering (like, everytime I enter Haven, the game literally stops for one second as soon as I pass the main door.

Wulfram

Its hard to say without knowing where you are.

Many people felt the game gets better once you reach Skyhold, if you haven't got there yet. But the open world stuff is never great.

Xanathus

It gets surprisingly good near the end and the DLCs but you have to push through a bunch of MMO-ish sidequest content to get there.

Kacho

Just ditch it. The game doesn't flow well at all. I found the gameplay, world/maps, quests, story and characters all severely lacking and boring. DA:I is the most shallow and uninteresting RPG I've ever played. It's the RPG equivalent of EA/Ubisoft open world check box design.

Soltype

For me it depends on the class you're playing, for some builds the game was boring for me and not so much for others.If you don't like the combat with anyone, then I'd suggest you stop playing.I can't say much for the story, since I thought all the DA games were rough in that department.Some of the characters in DAI are good though, mainly Cassandra and Varric.

Daingurse

Not really. My experience seemed to sour the more I progressed, and by the time I beat it I felt pretty damn cold on the game. Never really turned on a game quite like Inquisition before, I just have no desire to return to that game at all.

NeoBob688

I actually reinstalled this game two days ago and loaded in some mods. I originally completed a "good" playthrough when the game came out and I was planning to play the "evil" path.

I am not sure if it is worth a second playthrough. Is there much change when making alternative choices?

I absolutely hate the stupid search/ping feature. Why not just let me permanently highlight interactable objects? This is in my opinion the most annoying design choice in modern WRPGs .

Jumeira

Banned
A resounding NO. I played for over 100 hours hoping, praying it would. Just quit, I can't get back the time I wasted and Im annoyed at myself for not quiting earlier.

It's shit. Put me off the entire franchise (hope to god this team doesn't touch Mass Effect).

Ludens

Banned
I'd suggest you complete the next main quest after that one. If you still don't feel like continuing after that, it's probably time to give up on the game.

Ok, I will do two story missions after this, if it doesn't get better, I'll dump it.
What a shame, anyway, after playing Witcher 3 now I have, maybe, too high standards for crpgs.

I gave up at 54 hours, By that point i was bored, Forget what the main quest was about, Didnt like any squadmates other than Cassandra, And still havent gone back to it or probably won't ever.

Jumeira

Banned
Ok, I will do two story missions after this, if it doesn't get better, I'll dump it.
What a shame, anyway, after playing Witcher 3 now I have, maybe, too high standards for crpgs.

I played it before Witcher 3, it's got nothing to do with heightened standards. It's just a shit game.

If it feels mediocre to you now, by the end of it it will still feel the same except you'll have the additional guilt of having wasted 50 hours when you could've used that time on something more worthwhile. So no, stop while you're ahead.

Rellik

High point was the snow scenes and finding that location (Best way I could say it without spoilers) but apart from that, it's more of the same.

Wulfram

I played it before Witcher 3, it's got nothing to do with heightened standards. It's just a shit game.

Its not a shit game just because you don't like it. A lot of people did, and the GAF hiveminds retrospective hatedom for it doesn't change that.

Stevey

No, just stop, you're wasting your time.
Go back and play origins if you want to play a great DA game

I do think the game gets better, the story and companion missions are great and you've barely scratched the surface of those. Everything else sucks though, just go through the story doing only the side quests and exploration you feel personally interested in and it'll be a better game for it.

Jumeira

Banned
Its not a shit game just because you don't like it. A lot of people did, and the GAF hiveminds retrospective hatedom for it doesn't change that.
It really is shit sorry, cannot recommend it to anyone, horrid mechanics and flawed systems in place. There's no defending some of the core progression systems, closing rifts over and over and over with AI that doesn't challenge you to mix it up meaning you can steam roll the game with the same tactics highlights how poorly designed the game is. Will not start on the side missions and story. It's the worst game I've played this gen, hated it.

lmimmfn

Awful game and I loved DA Origins, it doesn't get better, after 40 hours I just wanted it to end, took me about 95 hours to finish it and discover that it didn't get better.

Can't understand how it won so many awards, its the most shallow rpg's I've ever played. Its like they took the complaints of DA2's copy paste dungeons, tried fixing them by creating loads of great looking environments with nothing to do. The copy/paste in DA:I is the gameplay.

Unity2012

I tried really hard to like it. I don't hate it but definitely gave up after getting absolutely annoyed with the gameplay mechanics and the world corridor-after-corridor design.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
ditch it now. i found it mind numbingly boring. it looks nice and i loved that you could control multiple characters by pausing and issuing commands. that was the first game i ever played that does that. i of course then found out it has been around for years in games like Baldur's Gate.

there is no way i can go back to it now after playing crpgs and the witcher games.

Ultimadrago

I still largely regret those 80 or so hours I put into it. It's quite the mediocre title with some real bright spots in the voice acting. Save youself, OP.

Taruranto

It Witcher 3 somehow raises people standards in cRPG can't image what would happens if they played Planescape or Baldur's Gate 2. :C

DAI being terrible has little to do with Witcher 3.

Slaythe

DAI is absolute garbage. I can't understand why people cut it some slack.

It's insulting.

This isn't a game like FF15 that will be divisive, this is just a chore by design with almost nothing to redeem it, especially when you consider other RPGs.

It's a really bad game but I loved it because I enjoyed talking with my party members so much. If you're not having fun it's better to stop.

Ludens

Banned
It Witcher 3 somehow raises people standards in cRPG can't image what would happens if they played Planescape or Baldur's Gate 2. :C

Played Planescape, one of my favourite games. Still need to play BG, I started one but I kept dying and I wasn't in the mood for a crpg in that period, so I dropped it.

Mifec

Played both didn't diminish my enjoyment of the Witcher 3. I still think probably gonna be unsurpassed when this "gen" ends.

RedSwirl

I keep coming back to ask if this game is worth it since it's been getting so cheap on PC.

Here's the thing, I found even Dragon Age 2 tolerable because I thought the story was pretty good most of the time. The combat was nowhere near as good as in Origins but I found it to be inoffensive and just rushed through it because it didn't drag down the game's good points.

From what I hear you can't say that for Inquisition because it forces a shitload of fetch quests and stuff on you. I didn't get to see much of this in the PC free trial -- it only let's you do maybe the first part of the Hinterlands. Part of me is hoping someone mods the PC version to the point where you can just rush through the story beats. I feel like if BioWare games had a visual novel mode I'd enjoy them just as much.

One thing that did strike me about the trial though is how absolutely baffling the user interface is. It's even worse than Dragon Age 2! The controls in DA:I make some weird decisions on both controller and keyboard. DA2's interface on mouse and keyboard actually wasn't that much worse than Origins -- the only thing missing was the isometric view, which is STILL gone in Inquisition, along with, well, the way a mouse is supposed to work! Not to mention how you have to restart the game to switch between controller and keyboard.

antitrop

I enjoyed the first 10 hours or so, then realized how tedious the game actually was and that it wasn't really going anywhere. So no, it doesn't.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210210249]It's a really bad game but I loved it because I enjoyed talking with my party members so much.[/QUOTE]

I played it at launch when party member interactions were bugged, so I didn't even get that.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It doesn't get better. Some of the areas are nicer than the first ones but the gameplay is just as unrewarding at every point of the journey.

It most closely resembles playing a b-tier MMO by yourself the entire time.

Top Bottom