• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Dragon Age Inquisition get better?

It's the kind of game you give a try when you have beaten all your other games, or really don't want to play any of them. It not a game that should be prioritized over other games.

And if you continue to play it, the most important advice is: Don't try to do everything in the game!! It's not worth it, it really isn't. Just do enough to progress, but not more then that.

WaterAstro

Is there a way to respec?

Anyway I reached Skyhold, and I need to say, the cutscenes from the previous mission is very well done, it really feels like LOTR. I also met
Hawke from DA2, that was a surprise honestly.

Well you got to the cool part.

Fought any dragons yet? Their fights are so cool.

Lol. I think this thread has existed three different times at least. Pretty interesting how there is an overriding feeling of disappointment with this game

cLOUDo

Every rpg from bioware suffers from the same thinfs
Repetitive and boring quest, it's funny how recently people find out at this (especially after the Witcher 3)

Staf

I spent way too much time trying to find a way to make the game fun. I kept telling myself "I'll restart as a ________, maybe the gameplay was designed around their style of combat"... But the fun never came.

Each class was a different brand of boring. Melee combat had horribly unsatisfying hit responses and the ai was clueless. Magic combat was spamming whatever ability was off cooldown and had the added feature of causing framerate issues. The "tactical combat" mode was one of the most awkwardly controlled experiences I've ever had on ps4. The only thing it added was making the wretched combat last longer...

I was so happy when I bought Divinity Original Sin and cleansed my palate of the Inquisition.

Divinity is so fucking good, the combat system is incredible. No doubt the best RPG currently on PS4 for me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's the kind of game you give a try when you have beaten all your other games, or really don't want to play any of them. It not a game that should be prioritized over other games.

And if you continue to play it, the most important advice is: Don't try to do everything in the game!! It's not worth it, it really isn't. Just do enough to progress, but not more then that.

yep. i picked it up a few weeks ago for $6 to kill some time as there aren't any new games i really want to play until august.

got bored and picked up ratchet and clank ps4 which i will finish before i go back and finish DA.

No, it doesn't. I had to power out the end, just to get rid of it. Haven't played the DLC's. Bioware has been on quite the downward trajectory. Hoping Andromeda is a step up in the right direction, but my confidence in that is quite low.

Once you're out of the Hinterlands, it gets better in my opinion. But if you are already feeling the way you do about it and you are out of the Hinterlands, then you might not want to waste anymore of your time.

Once you're out of the Hinterlands, it gets better in my opinion. But if you are already feeling the way you do about it and you are out of the Hinterlands, then you might not want to waste anymore of your time.

The game peaks when things go down at Haven. Stuff happened there and I was seriously hyped. But the game completely peters out after that and totally devolves into copy/paste quests scattered across overly large (and pretty!) zones that feel incredibly static and lifeless.

The game has its moments with some of the main story quests but everything else is such a slog to get through since the game basically shows you all of its cards in the Hinterlands.

The Trespasser DLC was good and more of a return to form with more like an Origins style world structure that reduced so much of the bloat that was in the base game.

Man this game works insanely well with thee Vorpx VR driver (I am using Rift)

Its like playing a totally different game - the environments look huge, with far higher sense of scale. Imagine what it would look like if you were to explore real environments like the game and thats what it looks like.

Its not a native game and works on z buffer which can add a blurry look on things like grass and on the downside for this huge sense of scale, distant objects/enemies are blurrier so its not like its an improvement in every regard. Its also not using the head tracking but wow, it really is like playing a completely different game. Environments look so much better like this, its hard to put into words - it feels like you are actually IN the environment and exploring, versus watching through a 2D window into the game.

Freeman76

A resounding NO. I played for over 100 hours hoping, praying it would. Just quit, I can't get back the time I wasted and Im annoyed at myself for not quiting earlier.

It's shit. Put me off the entire franchise (hope to god this team doesn't touch Mass Effect).

You spent 100 hours playing something shit. I dont even know where to start with how ridiculous that post is

I loved the game when I started playing and thought it was a GOTY.
After a couple of weeks I started to hate it though.
The combat system is awful. The tactical mode is incredibly tedious, and you can't even escape it on PC. It only gets worse as you get better characters with more skills and the AI has no fucking clue how to use them.

I left the Hinterlands, assuming stuff would get better since that was what everyone said.
It didn't get better. All the other areas are roughly the same.
There are some well-written quests, but to get through them you have to jump through so many tedious collect-a-thon hoops.

I've been playing on hard, since that's what I've always done in Bioware games, and this is the first time I've thought "fuck it, I'll put it on easy to get through all the tedious crap". Playing on hard just means you'll be doing a fuckload of backtracking to restock on potions.

Some of the companion characters are good, but again the game drops the ball on the character quests. I was expecting stuff like ME2, where the companion quests would be a really big deal and allow some really good storytelling.
You don't get that. There is better storytelling in the random pary banter than in the actual quests, which just seem to set up some "choose A or B" endings because no-one really cares (but choose A if you want some sexytime).

I spend most of my time looking for icons on a map or trying to hunt through the awful inventory/crafting system.
It's still sat on my PS4, about 50% complete. I occasionally think about trying to finish it for the story, but there's always something better to do.

You spent 100 hours playing something shit. I dont even know where to start with how ridiculous that post is

It doesn't sound that ridiculous to me. Games these days are adept at hooking players with reward loops that will keep them playing even when the moment-to-moment action isn't "fun." Mobile games are the prime example, but plenty of AAA games are just as guilty. Look at all the people who spent 80 or 100 hours on Skyrim and have almost nothing good to say about it. At this point I would almost recommend that after 5-6 hours with a given game, players step away for a week and evaluate how much fun they're likely to have if they let themselves get sucked in for the full 50 or 100.

Ok, I will do two story missions after this, if it doesn't get better, I'll dump it.
What a shame, anyway, after playing Witcher 3 now I have, maybe, too high standards for crpgs.

this was the main problem, the witcher 3 killed most of the western rpgs, it sets the bar so high that probably no other game will reach for a long time, i remember like a lot DA:I, but i got back in to the game for the dlcs and i just gave up.

Like, are you actually trying to argue the "objectively bad game and people that say they like it are lying" fallacy here?

Every game has these people, even games like the Last of Us. It doesn't matter how much most people like it, it doesn't matter how much critical acclaim it gets, there are people truly convinced that the game objectively sucks and that people who actually like it are flat out lying, either to others or themselves.

The more time that passes from release, the louder these people get.

rsniper59

Neo Member
This game was a major letdown for me. I truly loved both DA:O and DA2, and was really excited to see the third entry in this series.

The best parts of both previous entries were the story and characters. Though DA:O and DA2 focus on very different things, I was drawn into the world and really enjoyed the companion quests, dialogue options, etc.

This couldn't be further from the truth in DA:I. The story is a generic mess, and the characters are either completely bland or downright insufferable (Sera comes to mind for this). I enjoyed the idea that the people of the world treat your character like essential nobodies in DA:O and DA2 until you earn your place in the world. DA:I feels more like a YA novel, where the main character is the special snowflake destined to save the world because of...reasons.

It's possible the story & world might have felt more interesting if it weren't hidden behind so much terrible padding. The previous two entries in the series felt well-paced to me. There were a lot of side quests to do, but they either tied into the world somehow, or were pretty easily-accessible while you're in the area doing the main story-line quests.

So disappointing...

Ethelwulf

I think I'm the only one here OP, but I liked a lot. I liked the "Inquisitor" idea. I managed to kill all Dragons. My only complaint is that it gets too easy in the end. Basically you are overpowered if you have a mage in your party regardless of your inquisitor's class. Solid 8/10 for me.

Zolo

I think I'm the only one here OP, but I liked a lot. I liked the "Inquisitor" idea. I managed to kill all Dragons. My only complaint is that it gets too easy in the end. Basically you are overpowered if you have a mage in your party regardless of your inquisitor's class. Solid 8/10 for me.

Pretty sure this has always been the case in DA.

this was the main problem, the witcher 3 killed most of the western rpgs, it sets the bar so high that probably no other game will reach for a long time, i remember like a lot DA:I, but i got back in to the game for the dlcs and i just gave up.

Criticism for the game happened a long while before Witcher 3 came out. Around the time of the game's release, actually.

xRaizen

I enjoyed it for what it is. I went through completing every zone though, I'm okay with fetch quests and stuff.

On TW3, I couldn't get into it. I guess I'm not good enough/too casual to keep track of the combat, using all the spells and potions lol. I'll pick up the GOTY edition when it's on sale eventually probably a year from now to revisit it.

Flare

Nope, the Hinterlands was the best area in the game, and the game gets progressively sparse as it continues. The pace of the story is all over the place, the combat becomes a repetitive bore (and the game's not particularly challenging anyway), and there's no reward for exploring and quests are generally terrible.

It was a pretty game and it had its moments at the start, but it never truly goes anywhere better than that. I was really excited for this game and got burned hard.

Z3M0G

Did you leave the hinterlands?

I heard this comment a lot before starting the game... I left the hinterlands the moment I could and explored other areas.

Big mistake. It stripped the game of any sense of direction, and everything felt redundant and pointless.

I eventually returned to the Hinterlands after about 15 hours of exploring and finally resumed the very first questline. But after I completed that I dropped the game and haven't played since.

So there is no saving it either way. Terrible game I'm afraid.

Zushin

It's a shame that it's considered mediocre as I'd love to see what happens to
Morrigan
after DA:O and Awakening, but after being disappointed by DA2, having played TW3 and having a huge backlog, I'm just not in the mood to put 40+ hours into a boring game :(

Ludens

Banned
So, I did a story mission, I think suggested level was 15-17 (anyway much more than mine, which was level 10).
I told myself "let's try it, I can always retry if I can't do it".
I do the mission without dying once because it's really dumb, see some cutscenes, returned to the fortress and...now I need to farm 22 powers in order to access the next story mission :l

Top Bottom