• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Dragon Age Inquisition get better?

Back when it released I almost bought the game. I remember it winning quite a lot of awards. Kind of weird that it seems to mostly be considered a bad game now.

I played it at launch when party member interactions were bugged, so I didn't even get that.

That's a real shame. Being able to sit in your castle and spend literal hours in conversation just for the fun of it is the highlight of the game. People in taverns singing about your party members, pulling pranks on each other, learning about the world. That's where DAI shines. Basically anything resembling traditional gameplay is horrendous. If you could command your army to solve missions for you instead of fighting and the main plot was more interesting it might have been remembered as a planescape torment type of game with a great story and throw away gameplay. Instead the gameplay is an active detriment.

Heartfyre

It's worth it if you're invested in the Dragon Age universe, lore, and story. If not, you might find it underwhelming, but I wouldn't know, because I'm invested in the Dragon Age universe, lore, and story.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Having to grind power to advance the story blows. Yes I left the hinterlands. The quests in the other regions arent any better. Even the side quests that are related to specific characters are pretty bland. There were some decent parts mid-game but then the power mechanic just bogs the game down for those of use that just want to see the story to play out. Also a lot of potentially interesting story bits seem locked away in the codex or the table operations. But my eyes started to glaze over with all the text lol

I'm at about 60 hours. Is the story mission that requires 40 power to unlock near the end? I kind of want to see if anything happens with Cassandra and the chantry but I also kind of want the game to end already so I can move on.

At best I'd rate this game like a 7. The goty awards this game got are a head scratcher...

Bail. It's not a horrible game, but it is textbook mediocre, and there is a second renaissance of western RPGs going on right now. It's simply not worth your time.

Well, the title of the official thread is "Leave the damn Hinterlands!" ....which is something that PCGamer wholeheartedly agrees with.
This always seemed like misguided advice to me. All areas follow the same structure. Leaving the Hinterlands will make for a change of scenery, but you'll still be asked to do the same things. Stay in the Hinterlands until it feels like there's just filler left, then move on. In general, you should find and do the main quest in each area, the character quests and main story quests, and try to ignore everything else, because it's usually shallow collectathon fetch quest repetitive combat filer garbage that'll wear you down.

I played up until about the 2/3 point and then fatigue ended up setting in. I left the game months ago, but recently picked up the first two DLC whilst they were on sale. I've just finished off the second add-on and am really enjoying the game again.

I really liked the Descent DLC and thought the environments and general atmosphere were very well implemented. What really topped it off was the fantastic sound design, it really added a sheen of polish and aids in general immersion in the forgotten hallways and long buried catacombs of the Deep Roads.

So maybe that's the solution? Play it it bursts as opposed to one giant run as it is a long game.

I think the main quests, even with the chosen one cliche story, are worth going through and have some fun moments in them especially with the last piece of DLC they created for it. Also the Companion quests are pretty interesting and some of the dialogue for romances is pretty funny too.

So I think the game is worth a playthrough for for the main quest but if it doesn't click after a couple more story quests then I would just drop the game.

I don't mind MMO style quests that much so that's probably why I liked the game and I'm a sucker for open worlds even if they don't have much going on in them.

DAI is absolute garbage. I can't understand why people cut it some slack.

It's insulting.

This isn't a game like FF15 that will be divisive, this is just a chore by design with almost nothing to redeem it, especially when you consider other RPGs.

Because they aren't cutting it slack.

They actually liked it.

Like, are you actually trying to argue the "objectively bad game and people that say they like it are lying" fallacy here?

marzlapin

I enjoyed the game because I liked the characters and the world, but you should probably stop playing because you won't like it any better in the end than you do now.

Ratrat

I platinumed it and played all the dlc in about 100 hours including a speedrun on Nightmare Difficulty.

I kind of hated the game at first too. For me it 'clicked' when I got to the Fallow Mire map. It was the first environment that was actually atmospheric and not some corny mmo fantasy crap. It was where it also finally felt challenging with interesting objectives.

I would advise playing at least on Hard difficulty or the gameplay feels really braindead. They story never gets any more interesting, The characters are mostly tolerable with a few likable ones but nothing really memorable. I would skip fetch quests and most side quests altogether and just power through it. If you ever manage to enjoy it, the dlc is pretty good if you can get it for cheap.

Kysen

It's like the game developer said "we've built this beautiful world now lets flood it with stuff to do". Inch by inch the game is full to the brim of crappy mmo grind/fetch quests. Loosely tied together with some story. One of the worst RPGs this gen.

ref

It's like the game developer said "we've built this beautiful world now lets flood it with stuff to do". Inch by inch the game is full to the brim of crappy mmo grind/fetch quests. Loosely tied together with some story. One of the worst RPGs this gen.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Combat is alright enough to stick with it for a while, but good lord is it ever padded with the most boring, dull and uninspired side quests ever.

Writing is also pretty much 'fan fiction' level throughout as well.

Trickster

No, it gets worse and worse as the shallowness and repetitive nature of the game becomes more and more apparent as the game goes on.

hydruxo

I tried to like DAI but the combat is just terrible. I did like the locations even though there wasn't a whole lot to do in them.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Is it possible to completely ignore most of the fetch quest stuff? I''d like to just plow through the main story.

JeffG

Is it possible to completely ignore most of the fetch quest stuff? I''d like to just plow through the main story.

If you do the main quest stuff and companion stuff...you will have to grind for about an hr to open up the second last story mission

Ratrat

Yes. People speedrun it in 4 hours. You could definitely do it in 20 even without using cheats. You just need a good idea of items, skills, weapons etc to use.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was one of those games I kept waiting to get better. It's just good enough to convince you there's a point where everything comes together, where the game 'gets good', and where all the boring garbage you've sat through already has a major pay-off.

Except you get to the end of the line 80 hours later and it never happens, leaving you wondering why you invested all that time into what's basically a mediocre open-world grind-fest.

Elandyll

Banned
Without knowing where you are in the story, how do we know?

The pacing is terrible
only if you focus on side quests and collections. Focus on main story and companion quests.

the plot is uninteresting,
Subjective, but it gets quite a bit of depth depending on your choices. Also, epilogue. Talk to your companions.

the main character is, yet again, another chosen one.
bit of a spoiler, but wrong. It is actually a study in "what is being a chosen one?", and beliefs related to it actually.

The game forces you to do fetch quests in order to open up new main missions,
False, the fetch quests are mostly optional as long as you don't spend too much power on useless missions on the war table. At some point, you can also straight buy power/ influence instead of grinding.

and you need also to be around the suggested level, otherwise you will die a lot.
I'll say that's true of a ton of RPGs, but you need to leave the hinterlands at 5 tops, come back after 8.
So you can't simply rush the story, you need to play the game as Bioware decided, no matter what. So I'm wandering around, cleaning the map from markers, fighting mobs, and eventually open up a new story mission. Fetch quests are terrible, repetitive, uninspired, it's just a collectaton. But even the plot is boring, it moves too slow, dialoges are not "dynamic" like, in example, The Witcher 3.
the game can take 120h+ to complete, or 60 at most, depending on what you do. If you are a completionist, you will suffer. But if you focus on the main quest line and companion missions, DAI is imo an excellent RPG and well deserving of its 2014 GOTY.
Personally I find the core game superior to W3, and having far more different variations in the storyline and what can happen to companions and characters.

Also the game on PS4 is terrible, a lot of frame drops and even stuttering (like, everytime I enter Haven, the game literally stops for one second as soon as I pass the main door.
There's this one stutter that is weird, but now fankly you're on full hyperbole. I have played the game for hundreds of hours on PS4 and it plays beautifully 99% of the time...

MartyStu

Its not a shit game just because you don't like it. A lot of people did, and the GAF hiveminds retrospective hatedom for it doesn't change that.

This is definitely not a case of retrospectively hating it. The complaints came right out the gate. Partially fueled by the DA2.

I gave up on the game after maybe 20 hours. Just felt pointless. The story is incredibly grating in its player Ego-stroking, and the combat is mindless and tedious. If you want a bunch of weird fantasy characters to fawn over your avatar as the most inexplicably interesting person in the history of ever you might enjoy the experience, but even Dragon Age 2 is vastly superior as a game, even if it was a pale reflection of Origins.

It was pretty but man was DAI boring. I didn't like the characters and thought the whole thing played like a grindy false MMO. At least I could finish DA2 despite its heavy flaws. It makes me very nervous about Mass Effect Andromeda.

Mossybrew

The backlash here against this game is completely baffling and I have to think it's just one of those NeoGaf things. It has a ton of content, gorgeous and wildly varying environments, interesting combat with a lot of choices, memorable characters with a lot of choices and interactions. IMO it's a fantastic action RPG. On the same level as Witcher 3? Well no but what is. All that being said, it took me probably 4-5 hours of gameplay to really get into it, at first I was very "meh" too, it grew on me bigtime.

I don't understand how this game was received so well... by the professionals.

well I like it, it's far better than DA2 and when it came out there's no better game at that time.
The music was superb, voice acting is excellent, the story is like DAO good but not superb.

I just completed the game including DLC and got all achievements playing on Nightmare in under 60 hours. I can only imagine half of you are playing it wrong (not that there should be a right way to do it). The side quests do suck. I mostly skipped them.

But I actually thought the game got a lot better. The whole quest series in the Orlesian palace is really cool. So was the end sequence. And the first DLC was really really good.

There were MMO elements at the beginning, but I found I had more than enough power to just chain main stories near the end.

So yes I think it gets better. There's at least a chance for you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But I actually thought the game got a lot better. The whole quest series in the Orlesian palace is really cool.

I had this place talked up to me, and I honestly think it's one of the worst minimal combat / narrative heavy chapter/location arcs I've seen in a major RPG. It has narrative arcs and choices locked off to literal random treasure hunting, for items that are aimlessly scattered around the map with zero sensibility, and is completely unconvincing as a social set piece.

I actually think I might be in a minority here, as most people I talk to seem to really like it. But man, fuck Orlesian palace. If anything that one arc to me highlighted BioWare's utter failure at making Inquisition an engrossing RPG (and I say this as someone who finished it, clearing out almost every map).

Jamiaro

I found that the best way to play this game is in small doses. At least in that way the game didn't get too repetitive for me.

great game but it is littered with a ton of repetative/unnecessary content. It feels like a 30 hour game that was turned into a 140 hour game without adding anything of actual significance. Mostly just collectables and such. I would say the game is really good in spots and bad in others but overall at roughly 120 hrs into my first playthrough ive enjoyed my time with it and will likely buy the dlc should it ever go on sale. I heared the dlc was far more refined then the overall game, more meaty content and less collectathon. If thats the case that would be awesome and would deff add a cherry to the top of what was overal a generally positive experience. I will say that i expected a meatier main stor but im i like the game for what it is even though it wasnt what i expected.

Kalentan

I think it does. One of the very few RPG's I actually decided to 100%. Was really fun and the last DLC was awesome!

MartyStu

I had this place talked up to me, and I honestly think it's one of the worst minimal combat / narrative heavy chapter/location arcs I've seen in a major RPG. It has narrative arcs and choices locked off to literal random treasure hunting, for items that are aimlessly scattered around the map with zero sensibility, and is completely unconvincing as a social set piece.

I actually think I might be in a minority here, as most people I talk to seem to really like it. But man, fuck Orlesian palace. If anything that one arc to me highlighted BioWare's utter failure at making Inquisition an engrossing RPG (and I say this as someone who finished it, clearing out almost every map).

Not sure how you managed that without getting burned the fuck out.

After a point, just crit pathed my way to the end. I was legitimately unhappy by the time I finished it all.

Damn shame that the game is so lean on meaningful content. The companion interactions are all fairly well done as Bioware still writes the best companions in the biz (Avellone still comes up with much better concepts though).

geordiemp

I gave up at 54 hours, By that point i was bored, Forget what the main quest was about, Didnt like any squadmates other than Cassandra, And still havent gone back to it or probably won't ever.

The squad mates were damn awful I agree, I liked Variks voice but rarely used him in battle.

I sort of protected Blackmore during one of the missions, but this was certainly no Mass Effect by any stretch of the imagination.

Still I finished the game, but no DLC, had enough by then. Also no love interests at all, just hit them all with ugly sticks.

Some of the Dragon fights were fun.

Really liked the game honestly, the places where you go are very nice (Thedas) and the exploration part it's really enjoyable if you don't mind random “MMO” quests but BioWare RPG games are all about XP, LVLs, fighting, dialogues (romance ^^ ) and in that regard the game deliver them.

The story though is just ok it but could be worse as they are some nice surprises related to Dragon Age 2.

Not a bad game as people said, far from that it's just not the best BW game out there for sure but it's still a great one and + don't forget this game was concepted to run on X360/PS3 in mind so it's a really nice improvement over DA2. So If I have to compare the Witcher 2 vs Dragon Age Inquisition, I think I prefer Dragon Age Inquisition otherwise I prefer The Witcher 3 ofc but DAI is great.

Still Dragon Age Origins is the best!

Top Bottom