• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it feel weird knowing that the person destroying you online is probably a child?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Eh, not really. I destroyed adults on local play when I was a kid and look how well that did for me. And I wasn't a racist fuck!

> playing CS:GO
> xXx_420_Killer_xXx has mic always on
> oh god no
> mute mute mute mute mute mute mute

I have said it many times and I'll say it again. In game voice chat is the worst thing to happen in video game history. Worse than DLC. Worse than DRM.

No, they have a lot more free time.

And I don't really care about my gaming skills all that much.

If it's people I know personally, that is different.

Nah. I just tell them "at least I can buy things on my own you little prick" and move on.

Lame joke aside, I actually hate playing online with people I don't know so I'm always playing with friends and because those are the only voices I hear through my headset, I barely care if I'm getting my ass kicked by some kid or a 30-something guy. I'm just trying to have fun with pals, you know.

Fbh

Nah, not really.

I was probably better at online games when I was a kid/teen. When you have more time to play online you get more practice.

Play on PC where most players are 18+

LOL

There are tons of kids in Team Fortress, Counter Strike and basically any shooter that doesn't need a mid-high end PC to run

MMORPG's are also packed with kids, specially if they have some sort of F2P option. And that's a genre that's almost entirely PC exclusive.

And let's not even get started on MOBA's, which are also basically PC exclusives and some of the most played games out there. I used to work in a place that sold riot points and a good 70% of people buying them were kids.

GamerJM

Banned
Nah, I don't care. There are some kids out there with some mad skill. It's just video games anyways.

I did feel impressed with myself whenever I was a kid and I beat someone much older than me at a game though.

smurfx

get some go again
don't play enough games online to where this happens regularly. i'm sure some of the people i've lost to have been young but i highly doubt its some young kid beating me. games i play are umvc3 and rtcw enemy territory. the et server i play in is even for older gamers.

fedexpeon

Banned
This is why we have games with P2W contents.
Just throw money at the problem when you value yours time more than money, and if you have the benefit of skills, it just adds more to your advantage.

Of course, those kids could be rich and then it is back to square one.

vin-buc

I'm above the typical male gaming age demographic (18-35) and I seriously own many in CoD (ghosts atm). KDR is 1.83 and number 200 in the world ranking in TDM. A lot of the young kids send me clan invites - i think it's cute w/ their squeaky voices. In pre-game lobbies i hear kids complaining that they suck (when either I or someone else destroys them) - i tell them it's only a game and at the same time give them tips on how to play better.

pixlexic

Banned
What's weirder is after 20 years of using analog thumb sticks I still cannot keep the cursor steady to save my life!

Magwik

Banned
Me and my friend met some guy online in Injustice on PS4 who absolutely wrecked us and we be-friended him. He never talked just found out he is 14/15 years old. I'm 17 and it feels weird.

mackattk

Nope.. kids have a hell of a lot more free time than I do these days. I am lucky if I can get a few hours of gaming in a week.

What's even more strange is trying to talk to people on Miiverse and finding only preteens. Parents really just *don't* watch their children. It boggles my mind that there are 10 year olds with unlimited access to a social network.

I get my ass kicked by little kids all the time in Call of Duty.

But you know what ? i've been there before when i was a teen and had a lot of time to game. I used to kick old people asses in Street Fighter back in the days, i guess i'm the old guy who get his ass kicked by kids now hehe.

Every time I get shot in a game, I envision a 20 year old punk sitting in a dorm room filled with empty mountain dew bottles. His misery puts my mind at ease.

Hahs

Not at all! Maybe at first. Youngins' like say from 9 to 15 have those quick-twitch reactions like little squirrels. Their APM (Actions Per Minute) are extremely high. It may happen once, but that's when my pride, wisdom, and years of gaming XP kick-in. You're not going to get me the same way twice!!

BibiMaghoo

No, because kids generally have better reflexes and reaction time than adults. This means they naturally have an advantage in speed, although the older player has the advantage in experience usually. If the game depends on speed more, you will die, and that is just fine.

I'm not one of those people that only has fun if they "win". I would never have any fun lol.

I'm really bad and almost never play online multiplayer. Everyone beats me and I'm ok with that.
except halo reach and Mario kart; I destroy everyone in those

imBask

Banned
People complaining about child playing their game but at the same time bragging about how good their KDR is... I put you guys in the same category as children

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Why should I be surprised that someone with more free time and less responsibilities is better than me at online gaming?

I could easily train up to beat these basic scrubs but I'm not about that life anymore. Id rather spend my previous time on single player where I can see and do new things instead of the same repetitive shit.

except Mario Kart 8. I live for Mario Kart

V_Arnold

It is irrelevant to the game how old your opponents are.
To expect otherwise is to cling on to outdated and useless social constructs such as seniority for seniority's sake.

In many areas, being a grownup might help you. You can destroy your body with substances that are illegal to pre-18 year olds. You can have jobs. You can have consentual sex. Congratulations.

And then you step into a playing field where all that does not matter. So do not complain, basically.

If you are playing on a console or a PC chances are more likely its an adult closer to the age of 31 and you almost have a 50% chance of playing with a female.

Check out the ESA stats for video game demographics 2014

these stats are kind of interesting too.

Women age 18 or older represent a significantly
greater portion of the game-playing population
(36%) than boys age 18 or younger (17%)

Age breakdown
29% under 18 years
32% 18-35 years
39% 36+ years

thats 71% over the age of 18.

Mupod

I don't feel like I was terribly better at games as a kid. I guess my reflexes aren't quite as good but I have a way better mindset for learning and adapting.

The thing is, most of the people I'm playing against likely *only* play that game - I get this feeling most strongly when playing something like Halo. So I'm obviously not going to be as experienced as a kid who has done nothing but play a game since launch whereas I'm playing 10 things at any given moment. It's why I try to play multiplayer-focused games at launch when everyone is bad rather than jumping in late (no way will I ever play Titanfall now unless it gets real cheap).

I always do fine when I commit myself to one multiplayer title. Unless it's online fighting games because I can't get good at those, I need people to play locally.

vin-buc

Not at all! Maybe at first. Youngins' like say from 9 to 15 have those quick-twitch reactions like little squirrels. Their APM (Actions Per Minute) are extremely high. It may happen once, but that's when my pride, wisdom, and years of gaming XP kick-in. You're not going to get me the same way twice!!

I see these types in FPS's. Pitching tents somewhere on the map =P

Daemul

Play on PC where most players are 18+

PC games are full of little kids. MMORPG's especially, they're like a breeding down for them.

No. I have a job that pays me a lot and there are people willing to sleep with me.

I've won the game.

The game of life

IySPC.gif

Grady

I remember reading some article years ago that talked about how we lose motor skills as we get older. Basically was explaining why we aren't as good at some things as we were when we were younger.

I'm still holding my competitive edge so far, after four years of college (with very little free time) and a year and a half of work. I have more free time now that I'm working, due to no exams or homework, and I still maintain above a 2.5 in CoD. Sometimes I'll get utterly owned by a kid, and the shit talking bastard will make insinuations about my mother or assumed female siblings. Sometimes this can get the blood pressure rising, but then I remember that I've pretty much made it. I have a great job, and I'm about to buy a house. I'm pretty happy with my life, and I shouldn't let some screechy-voiced whelp bait me.

Admittedly, I may very well have been such a runt if voice chat was a thing when I started gaming. Those were simpler times, and the lack of voice chat precluded me from being a little shit lol

To be honest, im 28 and the guys I play with online are my same age and we always dominate. Like... crush those little whiney kids into the ground and clear the entire server and make people quit out. I don't know how almost everyone on here says they get beat so much. The funny part is when the kids will trash talk, they can be shut down so easily without resorting to their petty ways. Simple logical rebuttals always confuse them and make them more angry lol.

vin-buc

People complaining about child playing their game but at the same time bragging about how good their KDR is... I put you guys in the same category as children

Why? With this logic anyone who plays a game where children are playing then they're all "children" regardless of KDR's. The point of KDR's is to say that not always is a child better or has quicker reflexes than an adult.

ViolentP

Not as weird as the realization that after hundreds of hours in WoW, the man in my guild that I would follow into the maw of hell itself, was probably 12.

imBask

Banned
Why? With this logic anyone who plays a game where children are playing then they're all "children" regardless of KDR's. The point of KDR's is to say that not always is a child better or has quicker reflexes than an adult.

because bragging about your COD e-penis on Neogaf to make a point that you're better than children makes you kinda childish IMO

To be honest, im 28 and the guys I play with online are my same age and we always dominate. Like... crush those little whiney kids into the ground and clear the entire server and make people quit out. I don't know how almost everyone on here says they get beat so much. The funny part is when the kids will trash talk, they can be shut down so easily without resorting to their petty ways. Simple logical rebuttals always confuse them and make them more angry lol.
This, too. I get a ton of hate messages from what I assume are little kids (or really sensitive, irrational adults) when I kill someone over and over again online. Sometimes through cheesetastic means, I'll admit (I was a Boy Scout, camping is just something I do XD). It's pretty easy to disarm a "fuck you and your mother you worthless prick" message with a simple "git gud."

On that note, is there a thread where we can post those kind of random hate messages that we get from strangers after they get owned? That could make for some damn entertaining reading.

maxcriden

Whenever I used to try for diamonds in the Rayman Legends challenges, my co-worker would delight in telling me that it was probably ten year-olds who were much better at the game than I was. Miiverse seems to bear this theory out, too. I don't have an issue with it, I don't have any illusion that I'm better at anything than everybody else.

Top Bottom