• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoJ takes a step back from effort to protect transgender people under existing law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

The department withdrew a request on Friday that a federal court limit an injunction that has halted enforcement of existing civil rights laws to provide protections for transgender people. An independent federal agency, however, continued to press ahead in its pro-transgender legal position in another case.

The Justice Department took a step back Friday from its prior position of advancing transgender people’s rights under existing civil rights laws.

On just the second day of Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ tenure at the helm of the Justice Department, the federal government filed a notice in the lawsuit Texas and other states had brought against the Obama administration’s pro-transgender policies.

The moves taken in the filing — a joint filing made with the states — suggest that the federal government’s position on the pending legal questions surrounding transgender people’s rights could be changing soon. At the least, it suggests the new administration is pulling back while it determines the position it will be taking in the case.

The Justice Department announced in the short filing that it was withdrawing its request that the US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit limit a lower court’s nationwide injunction of the pro-transgender policies to instead cover only those states that had brought the litigation.

Then, in a joint request with the states challenging the policy, the states and the Justice Department both requested that the oral arguments on that issue be removed from the court’s calendar.

The argument, advanced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and later by the Justice Department and other federal agencies, is that existing civil rights law bans on sex discrimination should be read to include a ban on anti-transgender discrimination because it is a type of sex discrimination.

During the presidential campaign, President Trump suggested he supported the rights of transgender people to use the restroom that matches their gender identity, but he later clarified that he believed the Obama administration had gone too far by trying to create a national policy. He said the decisions should be left to state and local governments.

Nonetheless, despite the Justice Department move, the EEOC — an independent federal agency — appeared to be keeping its fight for the pro-transgender interpretation of the law proceeding in court.

---------------

Filing by DoJ: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3458977/5th-Circuit-Texas-v-US.pdf

Source and full article: www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/justi...ort-to-protect?utm_term=.wnDEjGqb0#.cd2PVA18p

kmax

8q3g0.gif

Pence must be so pleased.

The GOP has shown a strong resistance to protecting LBGT. It's really disapointing.

They've shown a strong resistance to protecting anyone, but themselves, and even sometimes, not even protecting that. It's incredible how this party really doesn't seem to give a shit about goddamn anything sometimes.

Tovarisc

Yep, it's really only a matter of time before that EO, or some version of it, is going to be signed. Scum.

Earlier in the week it was talked on CNN that apparently rumored LBGTQ EO was real thing that Trump intended to sign, but Ivanka talked him back from doing that. Not sure if that is confirmed information, but very plausible and Ivanka could be LBGTQ protector in WH.

Earlier in the week it was talked on CNN that apparently rumored LBGTQ EO was real thing that Trump intended to sign, but Ivanka talked him back from doing that. Not sure if that is confirmed information, but very plausible and Ivanka could be LBGTQ protector in WH.

But she's in NY. The First Family isn't exactly...close like the previous families.

Cyanity

Banned
They've shown a strong resistance to protecting anyone, but themselves, and even sometimes, not even protecting that. It's incredible how this party really doesn't seem to give a shit about goddamn anything sometimes.

And it's equally incredible how readily half the country eats the GOP's shit up. Like, this is so obviously evil, yet at least 46% of the country doesn't give a crap.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
This is one of those things that will just piss people off. Like almost no one cares about Transgender people, but they do care about the government wasting time with stupid shit. Not a smart move.

SCOTUS already agreed to hear the Gavin Grimm case so whatever Trump's administration does at this point is meaningless.

Like always it will all come down to Kennedy.

Ekai

I leave now as the time for Barack Lesnar or nicoga3000 to tell me that they are going to be just as outraged about this/will fight for our rights.....oh what's that?......Complete silence?.........Oh.

The next time I see somebody using that Trump LGBT flag picture in a non-sarcastic way, I'll try my best to punch that person through the internet.

Ekai

The next time I see somebody using that Drumpf LGBT flag picture in a non-sarcastic way, I'll try my best to punch that person through the internet.

Oh, his supporters will just ignore this topic entirely because it makes them uncomfortable to acknowledge the shit they voted for. They'll still tout that "Trump/the Republicans are pro-LGBT" bs. They always do.

While in reality all they voted for was "my taxes" when the Republicans fuck up the economy all the time anyway. They don't give a shit about other people so long as they save a buck. (Even though most people won't understand Republican economic policy) It's despicable.

Ekai

The GOP has shown a strong resistance to protecting LBGT. It's really disapointing.

It's not surprising. They orchestrate against us all the time. That any Trump voter on here fooled themselves into thinking they support us is ridiculous.

Boke1879

This should really be no shock to anyone. Not even because it's Trump, but you have Pence, Ryan and pretty much all the GOP for this shit.

But yea I would not be shocked if that EO was coming sooner rather than later.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This is one of those things that will just piss people off. Like almost no one cares about Transgender people, but they do care about the government wasting time with stupid shit. Not a smart move.
I wish this were true, but honestly transgender issues are becoming something that keeps old people voting and rednecks energized. I've sadly seen it firsthand.

Ran rp

It's not surprising. They orchestrate against us all the time. That any Trump voter on here fooled themselves into thinking they support us is ridiculous.

I seriously doubt any believed it. Saying so was just another way to shut marginalized people up.

"Quit being over dramatic. Give them a chance. If something actually happens then we should be concerned."

Yeah fuck off.

Ekai

Don't worry, he might not touch marriage equality, so all the middle class white gays can rejoice that the fight is over and they are safe under Drumpf!

That's pretty much what my take-away is. Particularly the crowd that wanted to "drop the T" and throw us to the curb. To them the fight is over...which is hilarious counter-productive to even their own rights.

To be entitled to basic civil rights would be nice. Y'know: as actual human beings.

We aren't hoomin according to almost 50% of the country. Or we're easy enough to throw to the curb for Trump voters who smugly like to claim they support us but don't actually give a shit.

PSY・S;230128564 said:
I seriously doubt any believed it. Saying so was just another way to shut marginalized people up.

"Quit being over dramatic. Give them a chance. If something actually happens then we should be concerned."

Yeah fuck off.

Pretty much. That's why I have no qualms with directly naming a few people who said that kind of shit. All while pretending they're the fucking victim when minorities criticize them for voting for this nonsense. It's sickening and entirely immoral. Just be fucking honest that you don't give a shit about what happens to us. I'd still hate them just as much but at least it'd be honesty.

I wish this were true, but honestly transgender issues are becoming something that keeps old people voting and rednecks energized. I've sadly seen it firsthand.

E'yup. Lots of open transphobia all about. I'll see them say shit like: "I ain't pulling no Bruce Jenner" in check-out lines in front of me when a cashier pulls up a rewards account for them or something along those lines. And just start a rant about how they need to combat "those child rapists". It'd be a bit foolish to think for a second they don't care. They care because the GOP made us a scapegoat. They needed something to help rally their base.

Red

PSY・S;230128564 said:

Yeah fuck off.
There always seems to be an unsaid "to real people" in there. "If something happens [to real people] then we should be concerned." This is how you should read this argument every time it is made. Anyone who says it is in allegiance with the enemies of humanism.

People really need to stop listening when someone says to

- trust a Trump supporter
- trust a republican
- trust a conservative

Time and time again they just prove they support bigoted people but want empathy when they get called out. There's not enough empathy to go around that you should waste is on these garbage bigots.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
They are a dying breed. A majority of millenials voted Hillary (at least 90%).

Ekai

People really need to stop listening when someone says to

- trust a Drumpf supporter
- trust a republican
- trust a conservative

Time and time again they just prove they support bigoted people but want empathy when they get called out. There's not enough empathy to go around that you should waste is on these garbage bigots.

Pretty much. It's so clear they don't actually give a fuck. Especially when they start to act like they're the fucking victim in all of this. Which every last one has done on this forum. So.....yea. Can't wait for their complete silence on this topic.....................................*waits patiently for the Trump voters who said they would totally care about us at moments like this to come in and make excuses for the Republicans in order to absolve themselves of their "guilt" for voting to damn us*

rjinaz

I mean really with just 3 weeks into the term this is just step one. It's going to get much worse. I feel for you all.

So many people would defend Trump and say he's not like that. He is a garbage human being that only cares about himself and his own and has spent his entire life proving that. You people were idiots.

Breads

Banned
This is a good move. Plays well with the bigot ticket. Hate is being vindicated by the government more and more because it's easier than progress. Just pretend others both don't exist but are also the cause of all of your problems. It's the GOP way.

It's not just Putin. It's the GOP agenda and has been for decades.

They're famous practitioners of the politics of division. Turning on already marginalised minorities is low hanging fruit that they thrive on. People fool themselves thinking they can unite a country by supporting descrimination. Smh. Never going to happen, folks.

Ekai

They're famous practitioners of the politics of division. Turning on already marginalised minorities is low hanging fruit that they thrive on. People fool themselves thinking they can unite a country by supporting descrimination. Smh. Never going to happen, folks.

I mean, to the Republicans, the Nazis almost got away with it. They just had those pesky allies get in the way. They were so close to unification under marginalization.

It's always the right-wing playbook to scapegoat and it's such bs.

On fucking point, indeed. This is a big reason why I'm so goddamn cynical about the LGBTQ community at the moment. The trans community has been kicked to the ground, ostracized from GSM spaces, and denied rights for decades at this point, and conservative queers are all too willing to help cis, straight Republicans do it, all because Donald Trump holds up a flag upside down. Despicable.

driggonny

Banned
Oh for the love of god why are so many people so fucking selfish. It's not that hard to let people have basic human rights. cis people don't lose a goddamn thing.

rjinaz

Oh for the love of god why are so many people so fucking selfish. It's not that hard to let people have basic human rights. cis people don't lose a goddamn thing.

People that are unhappy or just plain mean, take pleasure in the suffering of others. It helps them forget about how shitty they are when others have it worse than they do. True equality means nobody to look down on or even kick and some people will never want that. They have to feel like they are better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom