• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoJ takes a step back from effort to protect transgender people under existing law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
Oh for the love of god why are so many people so fucking selfish. It's not that hard to let people have basic human rights. cis people don't lose a goddamn thing.

The wealthiest and most privileged people in the world are not content by being on top. They have a never ending pursuit of distancing themselves from the other.

Hollycat

https://twitter.com/burnlittlelight/status/826903075361157120
43JFwbr.png

GVWVXt8.png

u1QtzOk.png

AvEvFHM.png

OXTT5V0.png

fwjxNuQ.png
Is there an easy way to share this whole chain on Facebook other than downloading each image one at a time?

Derwind

Just imagine how you'll feel after a year of this crap

That'll be like an awful hyperbolic time chamber but I'm sure we'll hopefully all be much stronger after facing that gauntlet of evil, backwards ass, human-rights violating EO's.

Or hopefully the Orange blob is impeached and his team severely neutered shortly afterwards.

Platy

Is there an easy way to share this whole chain on Facebook other than downloading each image one at a time?

Don't forget to link to the original chain

Let us assume that our opponents are competent and have been studying our defenses for some time, looking for vulnerabilities to exploit. They put out little feints and test attacks, seeing who will defend who, who can be divided off from the group, and so on. We've seen this. All of these questions they need answers to: will Jews defend Muslims? Will Asians support Black struggle? Where can the wedges be put in? The Alt-Right 4Chan types are always talking about observing and infiltrating online anti-oppression communities for intel and laughs. All these little tests. What if they make up a pretend pedophilia orientation? Will people defend it? Will they tight and divide over it?

One vulnerability they've consistently turned up is transmisogyny. Lots of groups can be induced to vilify or wish away trans women. Useful! Remember a little while ago when Milo put out that petition? ”Remove the T from LGBT"? They watched who signed and promoted that thing. It was couched in anti-oppression boilerplate. And look! Cis gay men promoted it. Some feminists and womanists promoted it. Useful intel. They learned helpful info there: many cis LGB people were raring to turn on trans people. They'd even say it was for their own protection. They counted up who signed on, who elaborated on it, who was excited about it. I'm looking at you, TERFs and enablers, in particular. (They even discovered that some fanatical anti-trans feminists would happily join forces with homophobic Christians, to hurt trans women.) Nobody thought that T-out-of-LGBT petition was going to DO anything. There's nobody who DECIDES that. It was a solidarity test balloon. So these laughing nihilists went looking—along many lines–for cracks in solidarity, joints in the armor, people who could be attacked 1st.

Why do I point this out now? Because this week the rumor mill floated a general anti-LGBTQ EO or bill was coming, & they gauged opposition. Supposedly they decided that opposition to this anti-LGBTQ legislation would be too much for now, and put it in the not-yet column. And yet: Now the word is they're paring down to a specifically anti-trans EO. One focused on legal documents, probably framed as for nat'l security. (After all, mismatched documents are fraud, right? Terrorists could be using fake ID. And there's all that voter fraud to address. Right?)

Previous Intel operations (& polls) have told them that the majority of the country has turned to support LGB rights—but NOT trans rights. They know from watching our intra-movement arguments online that there's a long history of cis LGB folks throwing trans folks under the bus. They have tested to see if cis LGB people will readily abandon trans people to save themselves. (Yes.) If they'll outright attack us. (Yes.) They've tested if there are blocs w/in the cis LGB community so dedicated to hurting trans people that they'll ally wtthe right wing. (Yes.) They've watched some of these anti-trans fanatics STILL obsessing over eradicating us, prioritizing that, even while the country is on fire. Lo and behold: the regime floats anti-LGBTQ legislation, withdraws it for now. Now they're floating anti-trans legislation. Right on time.

Their research indicates that the general public will happily let trans people burn first as expendable. That cis LGB people will, too. The plan? To remove our ability to get legal ID documents. There goes voting, travel, med. care, having an answer to ”your papers, please." That and support for keeping us out of public bathrooms, away from schools, away from gendered spaces, out of jobs and housing. Public life.

I'm saying this because they have good reason to believe they're right that they can come for us and no one will stop them. Their little intel operations indicate that not only will no one stop them hurting trans people, many will even help. Even cis LGB people. I'm saying this especially for everyone who gave them reason to believe this. Who looked the other way when trans lives were on the line.

When they come for us. (They will come for us. They are about to come for us.) Prove them wrong. Prove them wrong. Prove them wrong. Please.

Remember that the specter of trans women was already a useful wedge issue & get-out-the-vote driver in the 2016 campaign. There's precedent. We will be used as a weapon and a vulnerability against the rest of you for as long as our opponents know we won't be protected by the Left. One of our lessons from fighting the anti-Muslim E0s in the last week is this: we have to deny them every victory. Each one counts. Whatever we teach them about who we will leave behind will be used to hurt all of us. We have to show them we will abandon no one. not ever Now is a time when it is clear & stark: solidarity saves us. Together, we outnumber them. Together, we can win. Let us not be broken apart. All of you responding with pledges to have our backs: thank you. Bring your friends on board. As Octavia Butler said: So be it. See to it.

Or maybe linking the tumblr ?
http://queeranarchism.tumblr.com/post/156706776573/otabek-kz-screenshotted-this-thread-because-you

This was sadly one of the first things i expected from the new justice department. The next hit will come when the next black man is gunned down by the police.

Ekai

Honestly the sheer lack of response to this is pretty telling to how easily they will be able to throw trans people under the bus. Thanks Trump voters/moderates.

Matty77

Honestly the sheer lack of response to this is pretty telling to how easily they will be able to throw trans people under the bus. Thanks Trump voters/moderates.
Typical for GAF, to the left of everything until trans rights come up and then either no one posts or true colors come out and previously liberal posters sound as regressive as conservatives.

Two types of threads that bring out the most hypocrites are Trans Rights or anything dealing with the Roma.

Typical for GAF, to the left of everything until trans rights come up and then either no one posts or true colors come out and previously liberal posters sound as regressive as conservatives.

Two types of threads that bring out the most hypocrites are Trans Rights or anything dealing with the Roma.

It's one of those subjects where having "different opinions" on is acceptable, unfortunately. Like, I have to wonder if Milo had a history of directing harassment and slurs towards other minority groups, if there would be less of an inclination to support his "right to free speech."

I would have posted here earlier, but I didn't see this thread until right now.

Anyways, everything about this administration is awful, and I don't expect their stripping of civil rights to stop at trans people, either.

Anura

Personally, I'm happy to be reduced to a second class citizen! Nothing pleases me more then when I loose my constitutional rights. I welcome our new orange overlord and his great regime.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
It's one of those subjects where having "different opinions" on is acceptable, unfortunately. Like, I have to wonder if Milo had a history of directing harassment and slurs towards other minority groups, if there would be less of an inclination to support his "right to free speech."

I don't know if it's acceptable. It's just recently received a spotlight. Up until a few years ago, I knew nothing of the terms or what was reasonably expected.

I honestly feel bad for trans people, it was hard enough for gay people to get progress made, and we are a substantially bigger minority.

Someone won't last long here intentionally using the wrong pronoun, especially in a derogatory fashion.

Matty77

I would have posted here earlier, but I didn't see this thread until right now.

Anyways, everything about this administration is awful, and I don't expect their stripping of civil rights to stop at trans people, either.
I'm not saying it's everyone, but it does seem to be the last bastion of accepted regressive thought even amongst liberals.

If you're LGBT and are voting for these scum, then you fucking deserve what you're getting. I know they are a minority but dang. Data shows about 20% of LGBT folks identify as Trump supporters but I know people who are like these. It's fucking infuriating. It's like jews voting for Nazis.

MercuryLS3

If you're LGBT and are voting for these scum, then you fucking deserve what you're getting. I know they are a minority but dang. Data shows about 20% of LGBT folks identify as Trump supporters but I know people who are like these. It's fucking infuriating. It's like jews voting for Nazis.

They won't actually exterminate us, Hitler just wants to make Germany great again!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

It is often said that LGBT persons force the white majority to deal with prejudice directly because anyone can turn out to be gay, bi, or trans. So many people who might be prejudiced against others due to say, race, may wake up one morning to find their nice white suburban son is gay.

The flipside of that however is not so often talked about. It's much easier for some LGBT persons to integrate themselves into the mainstream - they don't even have to necessarily stay in the closet to do it. Some hope they can play the part of the "good gay", the Log Cabin Republican, and still reap the benefits of being an immediately recognized member of the privileged group.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Who is surprised by this? Seriously? America is going to enforce IT'S version of Sharia law now. Get ready.

Maximus.

They've shown a strong resistance to protecting anyone, but themselves, and even sometimes, not even protecting that. It's incredible how this party really doesn't seem to give a shit about goddamn anything sometimes.

And it's equally incredible how readily half the country eats the GOP's shit up. Like, this is so obviously evil, yet at least 46% of the country doesn't give a crap.

I don't understand how more people don't see this. Is it a lack of education? Lack of knowledge on current events? Discrimination? Pure ignorance? All of the above?

I seem to recall several posters getting angry at LGBT+ posters expressing their concerns about their rights back in November.

I'd like to hear their thoughts now

Why Caitlyn Jenner?

The current visibility backlash is largely a result of her bringing recognition of trans people to the mainstream.

Now that trans hysteria is becoming a big thing it's going to be a lot more difficult for most trans women to blend into society. Where as before many were able to blend in as homely or masculine looking women, now these people have a massive target on their backs as everyone is much more acutely aware of trans people, thus the bar of passing and having a relatively normal life is considerably higher.

The one good thing is the greater attention means more young trans people will be able to get the appropriate treatment before puberty wrecks their bodies, but for the people who missed that boat life is going to get considerably worse.

theWB27

I seem to recall several posters getting angry at LGBT+ posters expressing their concerns about their rights back in November.

I'd like to hear their thoughts now

How could someone really get mad at something like this. They couldn't possibly pretend some good would come from this administration.

All four of these assholes are probably either incredibly rich or incredibly self loathing.
Not my ex FWB. He just believes in eugenics. Haven't talked to him since I found out he supported Trump. Afraid I'll blow up in his face when he calls, he always does.

The current visibility backlash is largely a result of her bringing recognition of trans people to the mainstream.

Now that trans hysteria is becoming a big thing it's going to be a lot more difficult for most trans women to blend into society. Where as before many were able to blend in as homely or masculine looking women, now these people have a massive target on their backs as everyone is much more acutely aware of trans people, thus the bar of passing and having a relatively normal life is considerably higher.

The one good thing is the greater attention means more young trans people will be able to get the appropriate treatment before puberty wrecks their bodies, but for the people who missed that boat life is going to get considerably worse.
HRT can still work wonders even years after puberty.
*she tells herself so she doesn't add to her already bleak life outlook*

How could someone really get mad at something like this. They couldn't possibly pretend some good would come from this administration.

Apparently they found the "hyperbole" innapropriate

Not going to name names because I don't really want to start a slap fight but they know who they are

Jesus I thought you meant because she helped normalize LGBT for Trump in the social conscious... but this is some blaming her for coming out... should have stayed in the closet bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom