• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoJ takes a step back from effort to protect transgender people under existing law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

The current visibility backlash is largely a result of her bringing recognition of trans people to the mainstream.

Now that trans hysteria is becoming a big thing it's going to be a lot more difficult for most trans women to blend into society. Where as before many were able to blend in as homely or masculine looking women, now these people have a massive target on their backs as everyone is much more acutely aware of trans people, thus the bar of passing and having a relatively normal life is considerably higher.

The one good thing is the greater attention means more young trans people will be able to get the appropriate treatment before puberty wrecks their bodies, but for the people who missed that boat life is going to get considerably worse.

Let me get this straight.

You are blaming transphobes being transphobes on .... the progress of trans groups ?

Eusis

I seem to recall several posters getting angry at LGBT+ posters expressing their concerns about their rights back in November.

I'd like to hear their thoughts now
Probably nothing to hear because they're staying deathly silent.

Fuck, I hate this administration more and more. There was good reason to be scared when the results were showing up.

It really can't.

Human bone structure is far too sexually dimorphic. Especially the skull.

We know :'(

I respect your opinion, hon, but I think maybe you're being a bit tough on Kaitlyn. She was in the spotlight anyway and there was a ton of unwanted speculation by journalists when she started to transition. She should, as a trans woman, embrace herself and she shouldn't need to hide herself or her pride in transitioning. That wouldn't have been healthy for the poor girl. Honestly, I think she has done a lot to spread awareness and understanding of transgender issues.

That said, I am totally envious of her natural figure and the fact that she has funds for surgeries. But I'm also really pleased for her. So, envious in a nice way ;)

We know :'(

I respect your opinion, hon, but I think maybe you're being a bit tough on Kaitlyn. She was in the spotlight anyway and there was a ton of unwanted speculation by journalists when she started to transition. She should, as a trans woman, embrace herself and she shouldn't need to hide herself or her pride in transitioning. That wouldn't have been healthy for the poor girl. Honestly, I think she has done a lot to spread awareness and understanding of transgender issues.

That said, I am totally envious of her natural figure and the fact that she has funds for surgeries. But I'm also really pleased for her. So, envious in a nice way ;)

I'm not saying she should have stayed in the closet. But she could have y-know, not had a huge dramatic prime time televised coming out interview and appeared on the cover of Vogue.

Also, please never call me "hon".

Risette

A Good Citizen
Jenner basically used her trans identity as a sideshow act to promote her and the Kardashian's brand. I get Alucard's perspective. She's definitely negative representation.

I'm glad I pass tbh. Scary world nowadays.

Platy

First : lots of new names ... do you people know that we have a TransGAF community thread ?

And for Jenner ... I can understand that she is not the best person to be put on a spotlight, but you cannot come even close to saying she is responsible for transphobes being transphobes, SPECIALY those people in power.

Being Janet Mock on the cover of Vogue would have changed NOTHING

And that is some weird victim blaming for people who should have realized that by now

Remember when Trump just mentioned "LGBT" and some people blew it out of proportion like he actually cares about that community?

Yeah, no.

Ekai

Typical for GAF, to the left of everything until trans rights come up and then either no one posts or true colors come out and previously liberal posters sound as regressive as conservatives.

Two types of threads that bring out the most hypocrites are Trans Rights or anything dealing with the Roma.

Pretty much. It's sadly and hilariously telling that the same posters who told trans users to shut up and get in line during the primaries (while at the same time proclaiming they totes support us) are now deathly silent. Kinda only adds to my hate for moderates/Democrats. So thanks for that.

You know who you are. You aren't fooling us when you pretend to claim you support trans rights. We aren't stupid. Stop using us and start giving a damn for once in your lives. Its intensely cruel and heartless to tell us we need to stop arguing for our rights, that all will be fine, that you support us, that etc etc etc only to not be there when push comes to shove. If not you might as well call yourselves Republicans if you refuse to stand by your principles. Especially when it really matters.

I'm not going to mince words and that's the nicest way I can possibly word this for you people.

In essence, I have issues with people on both sides of the "spectrum". Those I named earlier who are right-wing proclaimers of trans rights support and these people as well. Again, they know who they are. Will they face themselves? Probably not. I would love to see otherwise. But we all know that won't happen.

Ekai

As for the Caitlyn Jenner stuff.....I understand but can't agree with you, Alucard. At least not quite to that level.

Ekai

4 years of this shit and with Jeff Sessions at the helm. Fucking hell.

Who knows, they might leave the LGB alone.....at least for a while. The T is an okay sacrifice though. We're easy to generate hate against even from so-called liberals (aka moderates).

Fuck Jeff Sessions.

At least the EEOC is still doing something, but do Sessions and his fellow Trump cronies have the ability to make the EEOC pull out, too? Looking at Wikipedia, Obama's latest pick is still the EEOC chair, but could Trump easily fire her?

Ekai

You know what, I don't even need to be classy here. PoliGaf, you know I'm talking about you (mainly). Telling you didn't discuss it in the community thread or respond here to the matter either. Quite telling indeed. Tell me again how you people support trans rights/care about us as human beings. I'll be waiting. Likely for an eternity given your track record on these topics but I'll be waiting. Do you want to keep emptily claiming you support us or do you want to actually confront matters that we face? These are your only options here people.

Well fuck.

I don't pass for shit either.

Hard enough worrying about more work and now I got this shit going.

Gotta stick together and do what we can. Sanctuary cities/states may be the best bet we have.

Beth Cyra

You know what, I don't even need to be classy here. PoliGaf, you know I'm talking about you (mainly). Telling you didn't discuss it in the thread or respond here to the matter either. Quite telling indeed.

Gotta stick together and do what we can. Sanctuary cities/states may be the best bet we have.
This is one of the few times I really wish I didn't have a family. Shit like this is something they shouldn't have to deal with damn it.

Yeah, the fact that trans rights threads die quickly is depressing but expected at this point. I try not to get frustrated with it, but damn is it hard not to feel ignored and eclipsed by other "social issues".

Dai101

Banned
Oh they will I'm lucky like that.

I just feel like I'm a burden to them due to this.

I don't have the pleasure to known you family but i'm sure you're not a burden to them. Don't feel like that. They sure love you and will keep supporting you no matter what.

Keep your head up and proud girl.

Beth Cyra

I don't have the pleasure to known you family but i'm sure you're not a burden to them. Don't feel like that. They sure love you and will keep supporting you no matter what.

Keep your head up and proud girl.
Thanks Dai, your just as awesome as always.

Ekai

Yeah, the fact that trans rights threads die quickly is depressing but expected at this point. I try not to get frustrated with it, but damn is it hard not to feel ignored and eclipsed by other "social issues".

I'm just tired of the self-professed diehard Democrats (in name only if we're going to be perfectly honest. real Democrats would give a flying fuck about us on some level if they at all followed their principles) on here who constantly tell us to shut up when we get "uppity" about our desires to be heard when it comes to our rights. Especially when they proclaim in the same breath that they support us WHILE they silence us. The kicker: when it comes time for them to actually show they support us, they're fucking silent. I know I'm repeating myself and I'm going to step away but it's aggravating to no end.

I want these people to acknowledge this. Their continued silence only damns them further. Honestly at this point, I just want them to openly admit they don't give a fuck about us. It would be less cruel than what they already do which is demand we vote for them because the opposition is far worse....all while they do nothing for us regardless if they win or not. Sure, one is better but that doesn't fucking make you an ally of ours. It just means you're holding us hostage.

At this point I almost want the moderates to get the fuck out of the Democrat party entirely. Admittedly, I already didn't like them. Their only use is to be Blue Dogs in more conservative areas at this point. Point blank. I don't have time for your regressive attempts to ruin my life.

Ekai

At least this is going better than that prison thread...

The prison thread was the one where people got angry over a transwoman getting srs in jail, right?

: /

The one trans thread that blows up is when they're angry about a transwoman getting something. Transmisygony is alive and well indeed.

I'm just tired of the self-professed diehard Democrats (in name only if we're going to be perfectly honest. real Democrats would give a flying fuck about us on some level if they at all followed their principles) on here who constantly tell us to shut up when we get "uppity" about our desires to be heard when it comes to our rights. Especially when they proclaim in the same breath that they support us WHILE they silence us. The kicker: when it comes time for them to actually show they support us, they're fucking silent. I know I'm repeating myself and I'm going to step away but it's aggravating to no end.

I want these people to acknowledge this. Their continued silence only damns them further. Honestly at this point, I just want them to openly admit they don't give a fuck about us. It would be less cruel than what they already do which is demand we vote for them because the opposition is far worse....all while they do nothing for us regardless if they win or not.

Yep. I have to admit, all the Hilary worship here during the election was a bit troubling specifically for that reason. GAF doesn't care about trans people unless they're voting for their candidate, in which case by all means join us, just don't expect us to act like we care after this is all said and done. There are some other things I'm hesitating to say because they're probably unfair, but it really does deflate my enthusiasm for reading here sometimes.

Ekai

Yep. I have to admit, all the Hilary worship here during the election was a bit troubling specifically for that reason. GAF doesn't care about trans people unless they're voting for their candidate, in which case by all means join us, just don't expect us to act like we care after this is all said and done. There are some other things I'm hesitating to say because they're probably unfair, but it really does deflate my enthusiasm for reading here sometimes.

Feel free to speak your mind. I'm happy to listen anyway. Who knows, maybe they'll dare to peek their heads in here for once if we keep bumping it.

Personally speaking I'd rather not bring up primary crap again but it contributes to the issue at hand in regards to the silence we're seeing.

Ms.Galaxy

The prison thread was the one where people got angry over a transwoman getting srs in jail, right?

: /

The one trans thread that blows up is when they're angry about a transwoman getting something. Transmisygony is alive and well indeed.

Oh man, I remember that thread, what a mess.

Don't get me started on old threads where the topic was "would you date a transwoman", the transphobia in those threads were just... Christ.

Derwind

As a cis person, I can't help but want to apologize for the lack of support here. It is depressing as fuck knowing random 'tipping culture' threads can generate more fervor & dialogue than looming human-rights violation.

If I can keep bumping this thread I will.

As a cis person, I can't help but want to apologize for the lack of support here. It is depressing as fuck knowing random 'tipping culture' threads can generate more fervor & dialogue than looming human-rights violation.

If I can keep bumping this thread I will.
Same.
This shit just makes my blood boil tbh. The fact that this thread only has 3 pages is absolutely ridiculous. Everybody deserves human rights and I will not stand idly by as people continue to be oppressed by the so called "moderates". :(

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
They've shown a strong resistance to protecting anyone, but themselves, and even sometimes, not even protecting that. It's incredible how this party really doesn't seem to give a shit about goddamn anything sometimes.

It's the party of selfish interests. Not all that surprising.

Derwind

Honestly, this whole mess reminds me how horrible DeVos's nomination is given her warped views.

Separation of church and state is really taking such a god damn hit right now.

Can someone link some organizations that one can donate to in order to combat what's to come from the DoJ's action to no longer protect Trans rights? (If that already hasn't happened)

Honestly, this whole mess reminds me how horrible DeVos's nomination is given her warped views.

Separation of church and state is really taking such a god damn hit right now.

Can someone link some organizations that one can donate to in order to combat what's to come from the DoJ's action to no longer protect Trans rights? (If that already hasn't happened)
As someone who lives in the backwoods and can only help out and contribute through donations, I would like to know this as well.

It really can't.

Human bone structure is far too sexually dimorphic. Especially the skull.

Ummm

HRT can completely reshape a body vis fat distribution. I had sharp angular features a real pointy jaw. After HRT my entire face softened and rounded out. It was an uncanny difference.

Eusis

Problem is that this administration is looking like it could be a revival of it being OK to be a hateful piece of shit, and even if they fail due to their own incompetence there's still the fact the current Republican Party at best enables, outright embraces this shit.

Fuck, we just want the freedom to be what we want to be, even if it doesn't get exercised for whatever reason I want the option to be there and usable without fear of being ostracized, especially by the government.

EDIT: And everyone has different luck with body development, having testosterone through puberty is certainly a disadvantage but some people just don't develop a prominently male body anyway. I don't seem to have a brow ridge that sticks out too much (I think I've seen women with similar brow ridges) and in light of Trump having measured tiny hands I checked mine and they seem to be a bit smaller and possibly more in line with the female average for my height. But I am tall and I feel like I'd be happiest with a mix of traits anyway.

Hackworth

Why are the Right Wing such fucking prats? Like, where's the profit in increasing preventable suffering for innocent people?

Is there anywhere people should donate to and try to counter this shit?

Why are the Right Wing such fucking prats? Like, where's the profit in increasing preventable suffering for innocent people?

Is there anywhere people should donate to and try to counter this shit?

Expecting a big cash-out from Jesus at the gates I guess

And ACLU may be a good place to start for donations

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
https://twitter.com/burnlittlelight/status/826903075361157120
43JFwbr.png

GVWVXt8.png

u1QtzOk.png

AvEvFHM.png

OXTT5V0.png

fwjxNuQ.png

Quoting this for the new page.

Its probably a good idea for the foreseeable future to assume that those in power are competent.

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
Now now, I'm sure if we just sit down with these conservatives and open a dialogue with them, they can elucidate to us how their economic anxiety has lead them to erode what little protections our government affords transgender people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom