• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doki Doki Kusoge: Three Neat Things About Genei Ibun Roku #FE

Tripon

Written by Ryouga Saotome.

http://dokidokikusoge.tumblr.com/post/137834582091/three-neat-things-about-genei-ibun-roku-fe

Threads on neogaf seem about #FE seem to run a bit crazy, so its nice to hear from a person who has played the game about his impressions.

I’ve played about fifteen hours of Atlus and Nintendo’s bizarre RPG mashup, Genei Ibun Roku #FE, and let me tell you: it’s a weird game. Combining Shin Megami Tensei with Fire Emblem always seemed like a weird idea, but the actual end result has turned out to be far more odd than I had ever imagined.

Genei Ibun Roku #FE is neither what I expected nor is it what I wanted from this crossover, but maybe that’s not exactly a bad thing. #FE is absolutely its own beast.

So here’s three neat things about Genei Ibun Roku #FE.

1: It’s not actually about idols:

This isn’t exactly accurate, however. While there are a few idols in the #FE, the core of the story is about the entertainment industry as a whole. The main character, Itsuki, gets recruited into a Japanese talent agency where he’s trained to possibly become an actor/model/singer. There, he meets his co-workers, each of whom has a career in a specific form of media. For example, your best friend Toma Akagi is neither an idol or a singer. Instead, he’s a rookie actor who’s aiming to become a tokusatsu star (think Kamen Rider or Power Ranger). Your senior at work, Kiria, is a huge solo musician. Itsuki’s childhood friend who joins the talent agency alongside him, Tsubasa, is the only one who’s recruited specifically as an idol.

2: The combat is a weird combo of Shin MegamI Tensei and Fire Emblem:

While #FE doesn’t use the Turn Press system, attacking an enemy and getting a critical or using an element it’s weak against can result in combo called sessions, in which other party members will follow-up the main strike with offensive attacks of their own. Enemies can also pull these sessions off on your party as well, meaning it’s always in your best interest to know exactly what type of creature you’re fighting.

3: Genei Ibun Roku #FE looks hot:

Atlus spent most of the last generation developing games for handheld consoles. The single HD game they released for the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 was Catherine, a fantastic title for sure (one of my favorite games), but not one of the company’s trademark RPGs. It’s easy to forget that Genei Ibun Roku #FE is their first HD RPG, especially with Persona 5 on the horizon. If #FE is any indication, Persona 5 is going to be one helluva stylish release.

http://dokidokikusoge.tumblr.com/post/137834582091/three-neat-things-about-genei-ibun-roku-fe

It did its job. I'm pretty interesting in playing it when it comes out. I like that there's a character who wants to do tokusatsu stuff.

Dee Dee

Doki Doki Kusoge????
What?
I don't appreciate the name of that blog.

On the bright side, I came into this thread praying there are no spoilers, and there aren't.
Carry on.

Boney

Banned
At first I was confused about the Kusoge title, thinking it was referring to #FE.

Good to know you have a blog! I'll try to check it out.

As for the game, I haven't been following that closely, but I don't understand people's toxic reaction to it. I guess it's the thin line between defying expectations and betraying the expectations. Still, I bet this will be a cool game and this post reinforces that.

At first I was confused about the Kusoge title, thinking it was referring to #FE.

Yeah, the kusoge bit is because that's how this whole thing started thanks to TokiTowa/Time & Eternity. It's mostly ironic at this point, though I do intentionally cover some kusoge every now and then.

SephLuis

Oh god what this is embarrassing.

Yeah, I like the game a bunch, but I'm not done. Not really sure this is new thread-worthy. >.>

It is, you have no idea how good it is to read some impressions without the risk of spoilers.
The OT right now should be a mine field.

I am dying to play this and trying to convince a friend to buy it. I would have already bought it the Wii U didn`t have the region lock

Top Bottom