• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tharja, Virion (Awakening), & Draug (Shadow Dragon) Confirmed for Genei Ibun Roku #FE

L Thammy

Never knew that Devil Survivor also used Ibunroku.

Also, was there any footage against regular enemies ? I remember only seeing boss fights so far, so perhaps the "demons" might be regular enemies ?

Look at the Treehouse footage. Enemies are original, and are mostly robots or cyborgs. They also have character classes, although some of them have a generic monster class.

Only SMT demon shown off so far is the Jack Frost cameo.

Hylian7

The actual final title does use "Ibunroku", like the first Persona and Devil Survivor games, although it's not even "Megami Ibunroku", unlike those two, probably because it doesn't use SMT demons.

It's really weird to see people still agonizing over the miscommunication from that old teaser. It was made before literally any work on the game had started, and once it did start, it was decided to be a collaborative project rather than a crossover as people had assumed. This resulted in a new IP that isn't directly related to either FE or MegaTen, but contains references to both.
What does the press release in the OP of this very thread say this game is a crossover of?

What does the press release in the OP of this very thread say this game is a crossover of?

What press release? The source for this is a Japanese blog which has an early copy of famitsu. There's no direct quotes anywhere from the original magazine source. Any quotes referring to it being a crossover are editorialising.

It's not a crossover with SMT or Persona, and since the actual reveal the devs haven't pretended otherwise. There's a few cameos, but I'd have really thought that people would have gotten over the fact that it's not what was shown in the original teaser by now.

Busaiku

They said that it will be a challenge for them to translate everything, not that they couldn't translate it.
Pretty sure this was just in reference to the text and gameplay, because again, they were making a big deal about the Japanese voices/singing.

SoldnerKei

Soon...

Bp0QPL1CEAEaakt.jpg

glad to know I am not the only one who did this

Cordelia is next

and would totally dig Fire Emblem amiibos, no matter how painful to get they might be

Granteed

Banned
That's the fault of bloggers and journalists carrying on the original miscommunication.

I understand disinterest in the game's aesthetic and themes, but we didn't have a crossover taken from us; that was just something we all thought up because of a hastily thrown-together teaser for a project that was announced far too early.

FluxWaveZ

I should be past this, but reading those two new character descriptions... I still have to wonder how the minds behind SMT: Strange Journey, SMT: Nocturne, Radiant Historia, SMTIV and even Devil Survivor came together and, given free reign, came up with such a seemingly lighthearted game.

It's like they were tired of the desolate/dire worlds and serious characters they've been dealing with, so they decided to do the reverse.

That's the fault of bloggers and journalists carrying on the original miscommunication.

I understand disinterest in the game's aesthetic and themes, but we didn't have a crossover taken from us; that was just something we all thought up because of a hastily thrown-together teaser for a project that was announced far too early.

I sort of agree with you, but I have no idea what Nintendo was expecting when they threw a series of artwork of the SMT main characters and then FE main characters followed by SMT X FIRE EMBLEM on screen.

I should be past this, but reading those two new character descriptions... I still have to wonder how the minds behind SMT: Strange Journey, SMT: Nocturne, Radiant Historia, SMTIV and even Devil Survivor came together and, given free reign, came up with such a seemingly lighthearted game.

It's like they were tired of the desolate/dire worlds and serious characters they've been dealing with, so they decided to do the reverse.

That is of course, assuming the world doesn't go to hell at some point and they're just keeping it a secret.

Mik317

who is to say this doesn't suddenly get dark?

Hylian7

who is to say this doesn't suddenly get dark?
I really don't have much hope of that happening honestly, and even if it does, I'm going to guess it will be relatively little of the game, or some kind of "Mirage world", alternate dimension, or something like that.

When the original teaser was shown, we saw the protagonists from every mainline SMT with FE charterers. Now I figured it was unlikely we would see Devil Buster, Aleph, Demi-Fiend, and Flynn all in the same game. At the very least though I expected something that has the atmosphere of a real SMT game mixed with Fire Emblem. What we have now is nothing of the sort, basically seeing Persona take SMT's place. It's a slap in the face to people that like SMT and wanted something with the tone of an SMT game. It's pretty telling that this is just a game pandering to the people obsessed with Japanese culture. Just look at how there are attacks with dancing idols, Tiki from FE is a popular "singaloid", the characters have their "Performance", there is no sign of COMPs or even SMT demons other than a cameo by Jack Frost, and that it looks unlikely that there will be any kind of apocalypse at all. I'm willing to bet there won't even be a Law, Chaos, or Neutral choice.

It's so frustrating to see Atlus just pumping out stuff like this and seemingly endless Persona spinoffs. Persona 5 gives me a glimmer of hope since demons are back at least, but since SMT4, we have received no word of any new SMT game. I would gladly accept a Strange Journey-esque " spinoff", a term I use loosely for SJ as it played very much like a modernized SMT1 or 2 before Press Turn.

NeonZ

Where's Abel to contrast with his brother Kain(sp?)?

And Sigurd? And Hector? AND INNES?

Right now there's one one allied Mirage per character, there's no way they'd have two cavaliers in such a small selection. So, no Abel.

For the other ones, the game was already said to be focused on Shadow Dragon and Awakening characters. If there's no mirage switch and recruitment, it's very unlikely we'll see any of those characters.

there is no sign of COMPs or even SMT demons other than a cameo by Jack Frost, and that it looks unlikely that there will be any kind of apocalypse at all. I'm willing to bet there won't even be a Law, Chaos, or Neutral choice.

There were references to other SMT demons in other stores, similar to the Jack Frost one. No actual appearances though. For example, there's a store with an Ame no Uzume theme (Nocturne design) here:
https://youtu.be/QLeOta98VrQ?t=1m7s

I guess taking the game in this direction might explain why they stayed in silence for so long, hoping people would just forget the initial announcement. They clearly still want to throw some SMT elements there, probably due to that initial announcement, even though so far it seems very half hearted. They really should have made some mirages SMT based - made based on former human characters, rather than demons, in order to differentiate them. Although I guess there's still the strong possibility that there won't be extra mirages at all, just one per character, but that'd be a really big mistake for a game with guest characters like this drawing from at least two FE games with large casts...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Troy Baker would be a bit too expensive for Nintendo Treehouse's blood. And even if they could afford to hire him, Troy's likely busy with other projects. The only reason Atlus USA still has a decent shot at hiring him is because of Troy's positive relationship with Atlus, but even then he's too busy with other AAA games & cartoons.
What in God's name do you think tree house is? O.O they had troy baker in kid icarus

Neoxon

What in God's name do you think tree house is? O.O they had troy baker in kid icarus
Back in 2012, before he became unionized & up to his neck in AAA games. Nintendo Treehouse usually goes on the cheap with voice acting, normally going for non-union VAs.

There were references to other SMT demons in other stores, similar to the Jack Frost one. No actual appearances though. For example, there's a store with an Ame no Uzume theme (Nocturne design) here:
https://youtu.be/QLeOta98VrQ?t=1m7s

What in the..."what I noticed was...how grounded in reality this game is" and even the translator looks kind of confused by what that Nintendo rep is saying. This game is anime as fuck.

L Thammy

It's pretty telling that this is just a game pandering to the people obsessed with Japanese culture. Just look at how there are attacks with dancing idols, Tiki from FE is a popular "singaloid", the characters have their "Performance"

Alternatively, it's aimed at actual Japanese people.

It's really weird to see people still agonizing over the miscommunication from that old teaser. It was made before literally any work on the game had started, and once it did start, it was decided to be a collaborative project rather than a crossover as people had assumed. This resulted in a new IP that isn't directly related to either FE or MegaTen, but contains references to both.

They could have made a collaborative game with the SMT tone instead of jpop .

It's a slap in the face to people that like SMT and wanted something with the tone of an SMT game.

Never in a million years will I understand the notion that content creators "owe" consumers a damn thing. It's fine if you're not liking what you're seeing and would like to see Atlus make something different, but this "slap in the face" nonsense is bullshit of the highest order.

I just hope this game gets a localisation as good as the Persona series does. Keep in mind the Japanese VA are singing as well.

I just hope we get it here in the west next year.

Tharja will be.... Interesting.

SephLuis

I just hope this game gets a localisation as good as the Persona series does. Keep in mind the Japanese VA are singing as well.

I just hope we get it here in the west next year.

Tharja will be.... Interesting.

Slap some subtitles on the songs and that's it. No need to change the lyrics.

The game is set in Tokyo and this is not Ace Attorney,

Slap some subtitles on the songs and that's it. No need to change the lyrics.

The game is set in Tokyo and this is not Ace Attorney,

The problem you have there is that it's the actual characters singing in universe, so it might come across as odd if they suddenly switch languages. I'd compare it to the band scene in Persona 4 Golden. That wouldn't have worked if they just left it in Japanese and subbed it.

Hylian7

Never in a million years will I understand the notion that content creators "owe" consumers a damn thing. It's fine if you're not liking what you're seeing and would like to see Atlus make something different, but this "slap in the face" nonsense is bullshit of the highest order.
Never did I say anything about content creators owing anything. I said that they announced something, and duped the fans when the thing they announced was completely different.

It's like how people are just a little upset that Konami is making that Silent Hill mobile game with "erotic violence" after cancelling PT/Silent Hills.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Never did I say anything about content creators owing anything. I said that they announced something, and duped the fans when the thing they announced was completely different.

It's like how people are just a little upset that Konami is making that Silent Hill mobile game with "erotic violence" after cancelling PT/Silent Hills.
Um, the erotic violence is a Pachinko Castlevania game.

Infinite

They duped no one with this game. Stop.

FluxWaveZ

They duped no one with this game. Stop.

Perhaps not intentionally, there are a lot of people still referring to this game as a "cross-over" or "SMTxFE" (or "FExSMT," which has been a reoccurring one). They announced the game too early under a false pretense, and that's why this topic of discussion is still coming up, and probably will in perpetuity even after the game's out.

Infinite

Perhaps not intentionally, there are a lot of people still referring to this game as a "cross-over" or "SMTxFE" (or "FExSMT," which has been a reoccurring one). They announced the game too early under a false pretense, and that's why this topic of discussion is still coming up, and probably will in perpetuity even after the game's out.
Oh boy

Oddish1

Kiria having Tharja makes a surprising amount of sense. It's also kind of cute they gave the elementary school girl the huge axe-wielding armor knight.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What in the..."what I noticed was...how grounded in reality this game is" and even the translator looks kind of confused by what that Nintendo rep is saying. This game is anime as fuck.

Its a pretty good representation of the actual streets of tokyo

Top Bottom