• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tharja, Virion (Awakening), & Draug (Shadow Dragon) Confirmed for Genei Ibun Roku #FE

Still super interested as I am a part of the small group that likes thus much more than a crossover.

Going to put my guess for English title, Fire Emblem Tensei. Uses the meaning of Tensei.

The problem you have there is that it's the actual characters singing in universe, so it might come across as odd if they suddenly switch languages. I'd compare it to the band scene in Persona 4 Golden. That wouldn't have worked if they just left it in Japanese and subbed it.

Yeah plus it can work pretty well like with "God Knows" in the haruhi Suzimiya dub.

SephLuis

The problem you have there is that it's the actual characters singing in universe, so it might come across as odd if they suddenly switch languages. I'd compare it to the band scene in Persona 4 Golden. That wouldn't have worked if they just left it in Japanese and subbed it.

I don't mind it much, since my biggest fear is how they would change the song while keeping the lyrics mostly intact.

Best scenario possible is that the english release will contain both US and JPN voices, though that's next to impossible considering it's NOA bringing this.

This is an example of a game so Japanese that it hurts.

What is an example of a game that's so American that it hurts? Do we have those? Something so deeply, deeply, ingrained in a sect of western culture that it becomes nearly impossible to wrench from the niche?

Maybe something like Tony Hawk's Underground...? Not many American games even have heavy-handed culture, because America doesn't have the same kind of unified cultural identities as Japan. But it's something I've been thinking about.

Crocodile

What is an example of a game that's so American that it hurts? Do we have those? Something so deeply, deeply, ingrained in a sect of western culture that it becomes nearly impossible to wrench from the niche?

Maybe something like Tony Hawk's Underground...? Not many American games even have heavy-handed culture, because America doesn't have the same kind of unified cultural identities as Japan. But it's something I've been thinking about.

I dunno somebody made a thread about SOCOM recently that would seem to fit the "so American it hurts" ideal. Like I figure a lot of militaristic shooters play well into our gun culture and sense of exceptionalism (deserved or not). Stuff like Duke Nukem and Leisure Suit Larry strike me as distinctly American titles as well. Classics like Doom strike me as stuff that could have only been born out an American mind. Plus games (realistic or arcadey) born out of distinctively American pastimes (Football, Nascar, etc.) play into this as well though I have a feeling you might mean purely fantasy games?

So yeah that was all off the top of my head. I'm going to say there are a lot of American-made games that are "so American it hurts". Same with games made in any other country.

Also while the USA is certainly a more diverse culture than Japan just due to our demographics, there are 100%, explicitly American aspects of our culture and zeitgeist. 100%

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201509/29089405.html

Famitsu preview

1vhOl1a.jpg

I'm not sure if this fit what you're looking for, but some years ago I watched my brother playing a strategy game called World in Conflict to completion and it definitely was so American it hurts.

Allegrian

Banned

Neogaf and its morals are so american that it hurts.

It couldn't scream 'NPC' harder if it tried. Making him playable would be a creatively bankrupt misstep blemishing an otherwise laser-focused production.
Don't crush my dreams. The game needs an ojisan character. Let's break the mold.

The Mirage potential is already there too.

Golnei

Don't crush my dreams. The game needs an ojisan character. Let's break the mold.

The Mirage potential is already there too.

The mould protects us.
The mould sustains us.
The mould will not hesitate to annihilate those who turn their back on it.

Abandon all thoughts of betrayal.
Speculate on the pattern on Nah's panties.

Though as far as mirages go, there's no way they'll neglect Ogma, at least. A shame Basilio and Priam have no chance, not to mention all the characters from non-Archanea games which won't be represented at all...

The mould protects us.
The mould sustains us.
The mould will not hesitate to annihilate those who turn their back on it.

Abandon all thoughts of betrayal.
Speculate on the pattern on Nah's panties.

Though as far as mirages go, there's no way they'll neglect Ogma, at least. A shame Basilio and Priam have no chance, not to mention all the characters from non-Archanea games which won't be represented at all...

Frederick
Priam
Basilio
Gregor
Vaike
Ogma
Samson
Vyland
Barst/Bord/Cord
Macellan
Ymir
Darros
Etc.

They can't be contained.

What got to me was the claim that this game's music is different from what you would normally hear in anime. What we've heard so far don't really exemplify that.

Looking at the trailers, this is going to have lots and lots of Jpop. The whole game revolves around Idol culture, ffs.

Its a pretty good representation of the actual streets of tokyo

So people in Tokyo are blue, yellow, pink, green etc. Good to know. :p

Hugstable

Banned
This is coming out this year in JP? Hopefully comes out here by Summer next year, still excited about this game. Really liked the dungeon gameplay shown at E3, plus now Virion and Tharja! Now all we need is Cordelia :D

I dunno somebody made a thread about SOCOM recently that would seem to fit the "so American it hurts" ideal. Like I figure a lot of militaristic shooters play well into our gun culture and sense of exceptionalism (deserved or not). Stuff like Duke Nukem and Leisure Suit Larry strike me as distinctly American titles as well. Classics like Doom strike me as stuff that could have only been born out an American mind. Plus games (realistic or arcadey) born out of distinctively American pastimes (Football, Nascar, etc.) play into this as well though I have a feeling you might mean purely fantasy games?

So yeah that was all off the top of my head. I'm going to say there are a lot of American-made games that are "so American it hurts". Same with games made in any other country.

Also while the USA is certainly a more diverse culture than Japan just due to our demographics, there are 100%, explicitly American aspects of our culture and zeitgeist. 100%

SOCOM sounds like a fantastic answer. Definitely what I was getting at. DOOM, too, is extremely American. That's exactly what I was getting at.

I'm not sure if this fit what you're looking for, but some years ago I watched my brother playing a strategy game called World in Conflict to completion and it definitely was so American it hurts.

Definitely the trend of military games lends itself to this classification. I was originally thinking more in line with iconography, character tropes, and music, which is what led me to the sort of "slice of life" kind of story in THUG. But looking at the bigger picture, military games lead to a lot of more obvious answers.

Neogaf and its morals are so american that it hurts.

I hope you get 10-15 years in prison for this comment.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't mind it much, since my biggest fear is how they would change the song while keeping the lyrics mostly intact.

Best scenario possible is that the english release will contain both US and JPN voices, though that's next to impossible considering it's NOA bringing this.

What do you mean, almost every japanese targeted nintendo game has been dual audio on WiiU

Definitely the trend of military games lends itself to this classification. I was originally thinking more in line with iconography, character tropes, and music, which is what led me to the sort of "slice of life" kind of story in THUG. But looking at the bigger picture, military games lead to a lot of more obvious answers
If we're talking about iconography and tropes, maybe the Grand Theft Auto games fit? While it they didn't particularly hurt me, there are many things that made me go (pardon the generalization) "huh I don't get it. Maybe it's an American thing."

On a side note, reading up, it seems that World in Conflict was made by a Sweden developer. Huh.

Scans are out, showing the new Mirages, Mamori's combat outfit and some of the preorder costumes. No sign of Barry in and combat screens.

-Horizon-

Where is that pic of Barry in the dog suit located? Looks like a dungeon. I'd still be very surprised if he wasn't playable in some way...unless he's been relegated to navigator status or something lol

I like those mirage designs.

Draxal

honestly, I didn't like the Virion choice, but his mirage is simply the best one so far, such a magnificent display.

Teknoman

It's really weird to see people still agonizing over the miscommunication from that old teaser. It was made before literally any work on the game had started, and once it did start, it was decided to be a collaborative project rather than a crossover as people had assumed. This resulted in a new IP that isn't directly related to either FE or MegaTen, but contains references to both.

I think its because (like myself) people thought about the absolute core of what both franchises had to offer, and created some amazing SRPG in their heads, then when revealed, got something completely different than what they expected.

NeonZ

I think its because (like myself) people thought about the absolute core of what both franchises had to offer, and created some amazing SRPG in their heads, then when revealed, got something completely different than what they expected.

The issue is the focus on idol culture, an element that has little relation to either franchise. I don't think anyone could ever see it coming.

Top Bottom