• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

AMD user here. Skyward sword runs perfectly at 1080p with a Phenom II x4 970 (I do have it OC'd to 4 GHZ but I don't think it made that much of a difference) and a 6870. It's such a gorgeous game and it runs like it was made for PC. Really makes me wonder what Nintendo has in store for the WiiU as many of their games have extremely high quality assets that scale well into 1080p.

DAMN!!! THAT'S GOOD TO KNOW!!! =D

I have a Phenom II X6 1090t overclocked to 4.0GHz so I could guess that I'll be just fine running this game! Just have to buy a wireless sensor bar and I'm good to go! (That and receive my copy of SS and rip it).

WUJU!

x3sphere

Some more Zelda shots

164-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-g8Q.jpg

164-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-78Q.jpg

164-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-18Q.jpg

164-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-z8Q.jpg

For skyward sword users: I would HIGHLY recommend using a sensor bar when playing on dolphin. Technically, the game only requires it when you boot up the game but if you use a sensor bar it will always recalibrate the sword controls when you point at it. So if the sword positioning gets out of whack this is a super fast way of fixin it. Much faster than going into the menu and recalibrating motion+. I bought a USB sensor bar for my pc. Perfect.

Can you link the one you bought? I was going to buy this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4XNI6/?tag=neogaf0e-20 but a USB one would save me money on batteries in the long run.

If I go with USB powered one, I can just power it via a Wii USB port when I'm playing on my actual Wii as well right?

Uchip

Banned
i got the sensor bar from a chinese site, cost around $3
and it works perfectly

and where is this wind waker widescreen hack located?

I have an i7 and 12GB RAM, so I'm set there, but my GPU's a little older: ATi Radeon HD 2900 XT. It seems to be fine for playing some games with max settings, but how would it do for Dolphin?

grkazan12

So anyone know where I can find a wireless wii sensor bar for cheap others then amazon? Used prices on there seemed a little too high.

Uchip

Banned
So anyone know where I can find a wireless wii sensor bar for cheap others then amazon? Used prices on there seemed a little too high.

like i said i got mine reaaaaally cheap
but ill have to wait til my friend gets online since he ordered it for me

Madao

if the WiiU fails to make Wii games look better, i'm going to build a PC for the sole purpose of playing these games in 1080p.

Shahadan

Dolphin doesn't recognize my wiimote anymore apparently. It worked fine yesterday. It detects it and all but when I launch a game nothing works and the game tells me the wiimote is disconnected.
I don't get it, is it a known issue?

Anyone able to emulate any games on a laptop with playable speeds?
If so, what processor is needed?

I'm hoping to find a laptop around $600 that run some games decently.

Citizen K

Can you link the one you bought? I was going to buy this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4XNI6/?tag=neogaf0e-20 but a USB one would save me money on batteries in the long run.

If I go with USB powered one, I can just power it via a Wii USB port when I'm playing on my actual Wii as well right?

Took me ages to find a simple usb sensor bar to use with my pc (couldn't get that nextronics one linked above to the UK). I didnt want a wireless one and have to mess around with batteries. I bought this from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270794133191

It actually doubles as bluetooth dongle as well. Although I didnt use the bluetooth feature as my pc already has bluetooth built in. I didnt bother installing any drivers, just plugged it in, ignored windows 7 saying it didnt install properly and I was all set. Dont see any more on ebay at the moment though... Maybe you can find a similar one (shipped from china).

hlhbk

First off specs:

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

I have never had great lucky trying to run games on Dolphin, there is always issues with skipping audio and such. After looking at the screens I am interested in SS and Xenoblade on Dolphin, but I have a few questions.

What is the best revision to get of Dolphin? What are the best settings to use? How do you get the motion bar/wii mote to work with the PC? With my specs should I have any issues running Dolphin?

Anyone? I downloaded the latest rev last night, and have the LLE, and performance on Xenoblade is just aweful. Skipping everywhere?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Was just wondering about NMH. Looks great.

Man, when has cel shading ever let us down?

Zeal

Banned
Rocking Skyward Sword in 1080p and I cannot put it down. It's funny when a group of people online have coded an emulator that does Nintendo's job for them.

Wii games just look disgusting to me after going back from Dolphin.

i got the sensor bar from a chinese site, cost around $3
and it works perfectly

and where is this wind waker widescreen hack located?

I think it's under the advanced tab in video settings, but it doesn't do a thing for me though. Background still looks like ass.

Red

Graphics -> Advanced -> Widescreen Hack
In the General tab you also need to set Aspect Ratio to Force 16:9

It might be different depending on your build, but under the Hacks tab, for EFB Copies select RAM and have Enable Cache selected.

To avoid WW's broken DoF, you'll also need to use D3D9 or OpenGL. D3D11 is busted in that game.

Eh. I'm probably the only one who wishes that the DOF was in there. Playing WW on a console, it's obvious that it was an intentional and important part of the art style. Playing without it makes objects in the far distance stand out way too much due to how everything is made of bright solid colors.

Red

Eh. I'm probably the only one who wishes that the DOF was in there. Playing WW on a console, it's obvious that it was an intentional and important part of the art style. Playing without it makes objects in the far distance stand out way too much due to how everything is made of bright solid colors.

It can be there, but it looks like absolute shit in HD.

dfi

I'm running skyward sword on a thinkpad w520 at 2x resolution and no AA.

gpu: quadro 1000m
cpu: Intel Core i7-2760QM Processor (2.40GHz, 6MB L3, 1333MHz FSB)

I'm getting close to 30fps with some slowdowns here and there. Pretty happy with the performance overall.

Anyone able to emulate any games on a laptop with playable speeds?
If so, what processor is needed?

I'm hoping to find a laptop around $600 that run some games decently.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I get what you are saying with stuff like this:

zeldaww35vhf3v.jpg

But I think it looks great in other areas:

zeldaww32mnd3n.jpg

Yaska

Playing Wind Waker and Xenoblade with the settings posted here for SS (D3D11) and both work great. Only problem is that those settings broke Skies of Arcadia, but gotta get fiddling to get it working again.

Seik

Banned
For those who are already playing SS on Dolphin, I have a question: Is the game's music running fine with HLE or you need to play it with LLE?

I hate having to rely on LLE its quite heavier to run than HLE, For example Mario Galaxy 2's music always cut off for good after 2-3 minutes with HLE but the game runs perfectly, with LLE the music is always there but I have big lags at specific moments.

Specs:
-i5 2500k 4.5Ghz
-Geforce 480GTX
-4Gb DDR3 RAM

Maybe there's something I'm doing wrong with my LLE setting, checking/unchecking 'LLE on thread' doesn't change anything. But that's just with Mario Galaxy 2 and Xenoblade, Other games seems to run fine with HLE the only two Wii games I know that absolutely requires LLE are SMG2 and Xenoblade, and both suffer more lags with LLE and runs perfectly with HLE but the music fails after few minutes. That's why I hope SS is fine with HLE! D:

EDIT: Can't wait for 10am when I'll be able to put it to the test! :D

Thrakier

Is LLE known for introducing audio lag? In Zelta TTP I clearly have a slight audio lag with it activated. You can notice it when for example you are throwing a big stone and it touches the ground twice when falling down and it makes to "dup, dup" sounds. It's slightly off, certainly not unplayable though. Most people wouldnt notice I guess. But with HLE this is gone...

so, while i'm prepping my PC for trying out skyward sword tomorrow, i gave a bunch of GC/Wii games a spin in 3D using the iz3d drivers.

you have to use 32 bit dolphin, DX9 and side by side output, but some games work really nicely.
Hmm, I was just playing some iZ3D Wii Sports with the 64-bit version last night. Some I tried just crashed, but I didn't make a note of what.

Red

dolphin2011-11-1815-5g07ko.jpg

dolphin2011-11-1815-4hy79c.jpg

3.0-201 in that shot. Just tried it on 3.0 proper, works fine there too.

ww1fhcut.jpg

3.0 at least doesn't work for me. DoF is blurry, and it breaks the wind curls and makes the sea really ugly even a few feet away from the boat. Only D3D11 has this problem. I thought it was universal, but guess not.

And I agree with Thrakier: you're posting the best-looking SMG shots in this thread. What are your settings, revisions, performance? Is it at playable speeds looking like that?

Or are you using HLE and just living with the broken sound?

Hmm, I was just playing some iZ3D Wii Sports with the 64-bit version last night. Some I tried just crashed, but I didn't make a note of what.

what version of iz3d and what version of dolphin are you rocking? what other games have you confirmed working?

iz3d gives me a dll error on all the ones i tried (can't load output dll), though i didn't try everything i have ripped.

what version of iz3d and what version of dolphin are you rocking? what other games have you confirmed working?

iz3d gives me a dll error on all the ones i tried (can't load output dll), though i didn't try everything i have ripped.
Both about as up to date as I know. 1.12 on iZ3D, Dolphin 3.0-201-dirty. I know iZ3D is supposed to support DX11 now, but since it was the default I just left Dolphin using 9. On the hardware side, GTS 450.

Others I tried last night or after reading your post:
Animal Crossing: City Folk
BIT.TRIP BEAT
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Wii Music
TV Show King (Strobey blinking image, though)

Games that worked but also easily crashed:
Wind Waker
Excite Truck
Super Paper Mario

Didn't crash, but had barely (if at all) different left/right images:
Super Mario All-Stars
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Bomberman Blast
New Super Mario Bros.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Damn, I can't get SS to run on Dolphin at 30 FPS on Dolphin. Oh well. I tried every graphics setting I could imagine and nothing. Oddly, when I switched to Dolphin 3.0 it ran at a smooth 30 FPS, but had weird texture issues. :/

Anything I can do to fix the texture issues in 3.0?

Moaradin

Damn, I can't get SS to run on Dolphin at 30 FPS on Dolphin. Oh well. I tried every graphics setting I could imagine and nothing. Oddly, when I switched to Dolphin 3.0 it ran at a smooth 30 FPS, but had weird texture issues. :/

Anything I can do to fix the texture issues in 3.0?

Use Dolphin r7719m with 4X Internal Resolution and no AA.

I'm using Dolphin r7719 for skyward sword, and OpenGL is pretty much perfect, whereas DX11 as a weird flickering 5 or so pixel tall line at the bottom of the screen which shows the top of the screen, also the DoF doesn't look quite as good as it does in OpenGL.

When I first started using OpenGL, the game would run at half speed for about 10-15 seconds and then run at a full 30fps afterwards without any problems. Now for whatever reason OpenGL won't stop running at 15fps, and I'm forced to use the inferior DX11.

Has anybody experienced any of these issues?

Both about as up to date as I know. 1.12 on iZ3D, Dolphin 3.0-201-dirty. I know iZ3D is supposed to support DX11 now, but since it was the default I just left Dolphin using 9. On the hardware side, GTS 450.

Others I tried last night or after reading your post:
Animal Crossing: City Folk
BIT.TRIP BEAT
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Wii Music
TV Show King (Strobey blinking image, though)

Games that worked but also easily crashed:
Wind Waker
Excite Truck
Super Paper Mario

Didn't crash, but had barely (if at all) different left/right images:
Super Mario All-Stars
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Bomberman Blast
New Super Mario Bros.

i'm using 1.13. wonder if i can have 1.12 installed at the same time.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Use Dolphin r7719m with 4X Internal Resolution and no AA.

Sadly, no dice. I upgrated from r7714 to r7719m and same issue / 20 FPS.

Probably my processor isn't fast enough, which sucks because all my other 30 FPS games (TP, MH3Tri, Xenoblade etc.) run perfectly. :/ AMD Phenom II overclocked to 3.81 Ghz.

Moaradin

Sadly, no dice. I upgrated from r7714 to r7719m and same issue / 20 FPS.

Probably my processor isn't fast enough, which sucks because all my other 30 FPS games (TP, MH3Tri, Xenoblade etc.) run perfectly. :/ AMD Phenom II overclocked to 3.81 Ghz.

Did you try turning AA off? if you cant run at 4x res, you could go lower.

Thrakier

Is LLE known for introducing audio lag? In Zelta TTP I clearly have a slight audio lag with it activated. You can notice it when for example you are throwing a big stone and it touches the ground twice when falling down and it makes to "dup, dup" sounds. It's slightly off, certainly not unplayable though. Most people wouldnt notice I guess. But with HLE this is gone...

So, this problem is in SMG2 with LLE as well. If you pay close attention you'll notice that every soundeffect is a fraction of a second late.

Top Bottom