• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Shahadan

Okay got to the first dungeon in Skyward Sword in Dolphin without sensor bar, and I give up. I'll buy one or get back to the wii.
Controls are a fucking mess. The insect-thing object had me screaming in rage for the last hour where I attempted to activate a goddamn switch with it. I hate tilt based controls anyway, especially when it doesn't work as intended.

On the other hand switching to Dolphin 7719M has definitely resolved my graphical issues.

dino1980

Has anyone with a intel i5-2500k at about 4.5Ghz got steady 30fps in Zelda SS? I have tried with lowering the resolution from 1080p to 720p with no luck.

If anyone that has a steady 30fps with no dips post your specs, settings and version of dolphin, and I will forever be grateful. ;)

En-ou said:
just installed dolphin, prepping for ss...
oh
GZLE01-4.png

my
GZLE01-3.png

god
GZLE01-2.png

damn I need a pc, daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Orayn

Drkirby said:
You can't play it with a Wii Remote, but the 360 Controller will work no problem. You can even have rumble, which most USB GCN Adapters don't support.
If you were a wizard with GlovePIE, you could rig up a Gamecube-ish control scheme for Wiimote and Nunchuk by running it through PPJoy. It'd be a lot of work when a 360 controller works so much better, though... On that subject, I recommend using the Xbox 360's X button as the Gamecube's B, and vice versa. You might also want to fiddle with the deadzones on the sticks, as they're set very low by default.

En-ou said:
just installed dolphin, prepping for ss...
oh

my

god
How did you fix the blurry draw-distance issue. I recently tried playing this game and while it ran wonderfully I could not figure out how to make the draw distances stop becoming blurry. However, I can easily confirm that anything within 20 feet of link was jaw-dropping in 1080p.

dino1980 said:
Has anyone with a intel i5-2500k at about 4.5Ghz got steady 30fps in Zelda SS? I have tried with lowering the resolution from 1080p to 720p with no luck.

If anyone that has a steady 30fps with no dips post your specs, settings and version of dolphin, and I will forever be grateful. ;)
I too would like to know the answer to this. I have an Intel i5-2500K @ 4.5 Ghz and a GTX560 Ti @ 950 Mhz.

Zomba13

So My SS came yesterday with the sweet ass golden wiimote and I was playing yesterday.

I've (seemingly) managed to fix (at least as of right now) my Bluetooth problem and have my remote connected. I tested with my normal mote and it works.

From what I've played (and read) the sensor bar isn't used right? So if I rip my SS I should be able to play it on Dolphin without needing a bar right (except maybe the initial calibration?)?

How does SS play? I've got r7719M. That should work right? I played through the whole of Xenoblade with 25-30 FPS with a few drops in a very small amount of places.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alright, I *finally* managed to get things going... and it's 3:41 in the morning. That means it took me nearly SEVEN hours to get things going to a point where I can call it a night. Nothing was super difficult; but I just kept running into settings that wouldn't stick, files that wouldn't copy, poor extractions, and broken links. But now I've got my first impressions and questions lined up, and would appreciate any and all input! Also, thank you to those who encouraged me to persevere.

First off, my specs:

Core i7 930 2.8Ghz OC'd to 3.4Ghz (but for some reason registering on Dolphin at stock 2.8)
GTX 570 with a mild OC
6GB RAM (normally 12, but testing something with half my RAM for the next couple weeks).
Running off a 10,000RPM HDD

Trying to run everything at 1080p on my 1920x1200 monitor

Build r7719

I ripped Mario Kart Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Twilight Princess.

If I use 9x (odd number) AA, I don't see much of an improvement on the jaggies, but luckily, I also don't see much of a drop in performance. What *really* makes the games look good is the "internal resolution". At 4x Native, all these games look freaking GORGEOUS!!! Unfortunately, the fps take a massive hit. ... Well, actually... that's the problem... according to my fps counter, it seems no game really dips below 20fps; but it seriously looks like it's running at 3fps. Three. It's awful. I've dabbled with the settings and can't seem to find a fix. That said, if I stick to 2x it still looks really good, and Twilight Princess played WONDERFULLY in the starting area; but DK and MK still suffered.

And no matter what I did, I couldn't seem to get DK to run smoothly. The game looks really crisp, but DK is supper fuzzy. What's the deal?

And is it normal for the games to start off really choppy but get SIGNIFICANTLY better over time? It seemed that DK was getting better as I played for about the first 10 minutes. I know the game caches; but does it make that much of a difference?

I guess at the end of it all; I have three pressing questions.

1.For my build, what would people recommend I put all the settings at on Dolphin for SS. I'd like to stay at a locked 30fps.

2. From my little play time, the whole thing seems like a pretty buggy experience. A couple lock ups, funny graphical glitches, audio cutting out - sometimes completely, etc. Are these just early growing pains? Or is that par for the course with Dolphin?

3. Can someone please give me a direct link to where/how you rip Gamecube games? I didn't see it; but then again, it's late and I'm tired and my eyes may not be working right. I'd love to play The Twin Snakes on this.

Thank you!

Thrakier

Azar said:
You don't need AA at 4x resolution, in my experience--you'er already downsampling to 1080p so it looks incredible.

Yeah, maybe, but the FPS with 4x res and 2xres + 4SA is exactly the same with 7710 in SMG2. With 3.0 I get 60FPS in that scene...

linko9

Hey, quick question. In n64 emulators, you can also force 4:3 games to run in widescreen by showing the extra geometry on the side (Majora's Mark looks amazing using this technique), but it keeps the UI in place (i.e. not stretched). Is there any way to do this on Dolphin?

Thoraxes

Skel1ingt0n said:
I guess at the end of it all; I have three pressing questions.

1.For my build, what would people recommend I put all the settings at on Dolphin for SS. I'd like to stay at a locked 30fps.

2. From my little play time, the whole thing seems like a pretty buggy experience. A couple lock ups, funny graphical glitches, audio cutting out - sometimes completely, etc. Are these just early growing pains? Or is that par for the course with Dolphin?

3. Can someone please give me a direct link to where/how you rip Gamecube games? I didn't see it; but then again, it's late and I'm tired and my eyes may not be working right. I'd love to play The Twin Snakes on this.

Thank you!
#1 See this post.

#2 It's mostly a game by game basis, as per the nature of the beast. Sometimes even random PC HW configs mess things up. It's unknown, but I can say that emulation with Dolphin is pretty damn good right now, and in a much better place than it was a couple years ago. Not everything will work perfectly with a single build all the time though, so feel free to research and experiment.

#3 This is a good guide.
Drkirby said:
Its a Chinese name, and I thought they fixed that months ago.
Oh I had no idea they fixed it. I had just rolled to the old ones and haven't upgraded since because they just work fine for what I use it for now anyways.

Also I didn't remember the name, so I knew if I got the nationality wrong, someone would remind me :p

Shahadan

Zomba13 said:
So My SS came yesterday with the sweet ass golden wiimote and I was playing yesterday.

I've (seemingly) managed to fix (at least as of right now) my Bluetooth problem and have my remote connected. I tested with my normal mote and it works.

From what I've played (and read) the sensor bar isn't used right? So if I rip my SS I should be able to play it on Dolphin without needing a bar right (except maybe the initial calibration?)?

How does SS play? I've got r7719M. That should work right? I played through the whole of Xenoblade with 25-30 FPS with a few drops in a very small amount of places.

You can play without a bar, as I have. You just need the AR code to pass the first screen. But the controls will be crappy, at least if my experience is any indication. I have a hard time doing horizontal slashes, and tilt controls (mostly right and left) are a pain in the ass. It's playable, but hard sometimes. Think of the e3 2010 on stage demo with the interferences.

Other than that it works fine. But it can really damage your experience of the game.

Dascu

Shahadan said:
You can play without a bar, as I have. You just need the AR code to pass the first screen. But the controls will be crappy, at least if my experience is any indication. I have a hard time doing horizontal slashes, and tilt controls (mostly right and left) are a pain in the ass. It's playable, but hard sometimes. Think of the e3 2010 on stage demo with the interferences.

Other than that it works fine. But it can really damage your experience of the game.
In Dolphin, set it to Hybrid Wiimote. Map the IR pointer to your mouse and set "Hide IR" pointer to "NOT Space", so it'll ignore IR input when you're not holding your Space bar.

So, hold your Space bar, position your mouse in the center of the screen and tap A on your Wiimote to pass the calibration. For the rest of the game, tap the Space bar from time to time, while pointing your Wiimote at the screen, to recalibrate.

Azar said:
I'm about 95% stable on rev. 7719 with the i5 around that speed. Locked LLE to core, 4x resolution, 16x filtering, no AA. Rarely get any slowdown.

What is rev. 7719 I keep hearing mentioned in this thread? I downloaded the latest Dolphin version that I'm aware of (above the toolbar it reads as 3.0-201-dirty) Edit: Nevermind, it's a different (older?) version of Dolphin that works better with certain games I suppose? Should I just have both versions on my computer or is one definitely superior to the other?

Also, is it almost always better do go with D3D11 instead of 9? And when I choose LLE DSP settings for sound, the game won't load and says it's missing something. Do I need to download a plugin or something for that? A lot of my games tend to have sound issues and the solutions that come up when I google are to go with LLE, but the game never loads when I choose that in the audio options.

I feel like such a noob, I hate it. :(

Edit: SMG2 runs pretty great with the settings you posted (I think I locked LLE to core...not sure since I couldn't find an exact setting that said that but I found something that read like it) but out of two galaxies I've tried so far, I've had no music in them.

Edit 2: I have an i7 920 2.67GHz overclocked to 3.9GHz, but at Dolphin startup it says 2.67GHz. Is my overclock somehow not applying to Dolphin? Or despite the wrong detected clock speed my CPU is still performing at the overclocked setting?

Shahadan

Dascu said:
In Dolphin, set it to Hybrid Wiimote. Map the IR pointer to your mouse and set "Hide IR" pointer to "NOT Space", so it'll ignore IR input when you're not holding your Space bar.

So, hold your Space bar, position your mouse in the center of the screen and tap A on your Wiimote to pass the calibration. For the rest of the game, tap the Space bar from time to time, while pointing your Wiimote at the screen, to recalibrate.

Haha, holy shit what a difference. Thanks man, second time you help me with this! Even my horizontal slashes are now perfectly recognized.

masterkajo

MisterAnderson said:
What is rev. 7719 I keep hearing mentioned in this thread? I downloaded the latest Dolphin version that I'm aware of (above the toolbar it reads as 3.0-201-dirty)

Also, is it almost always better do go with D3D11 instead of 9? And a lot of options or screenshots of people's options tend to look slightly different from mine. For example under the "Hacks" tab in graphic settings, I don't have a "Virtual" option under "EFB Copies." Instead I have a separate option lower down under "External Frame Buffer" that allows me to enable Virtual or Real.

And also, when I choose LLE DSP settings for sound, the game won't load and says it's missing something. Do I need to download a plugin or something for that?

I feel like such a noob, I hate it. :(

Edit: SMG2 runs pretty great with the settings you posted (I think I locked LLE to core...not sure since I couldn't find an exact setting that said that but I found something that read like it) but out of two galaxies I've tried so far, I've had no music in them.

r7719 is the recommend dolphin version you should use to run SS. The newest build 3.0.201-dirty has some problems. You can download the r7719 from the official dolphin website under downloads. At the bottom there is link to the archivs. Just scroll down until you find the desired build and download it.

masterkajo said:
r7719 is the recommend dolphin version you should use to run SS. The newest build 3.0.201-dirty has some problems. You can download the r7719 from the official dolphin website under downloads. At the bottom there is link to the archivs. Just scroll down until you find the desired build and download it.

Thanks for the reply (sucks when someone quotes you right as you edit your post though) :p

Red

TouchMyBox said:
It's not DOF, it's the bloom as stated earlier in the thread. The DOF looks quite nice in scenes without it.

See this post
I don't know that the double image in felipepl's screen was bloom. Looks like a DoF glitch as has been said.

Er, meant theexodu5'5 pic.

Darkone, you need m+.

Nabs

linko9 said:
Hey, quick question. In n64 emulators, you can also force 4:3 games to run in widescreen by showing the extra geometry on the side (Majora's Mark looks amazing using this technique), but it keeps the UI in place (i.e. not stretched). Is there any way to do this on Dolphin?
It's called Widescreen Hack. It should be under Graphics Options.

RS4-

Ugh I should really buy that usb sensor bar for PC so I can play Skyward Sword; too knackered to go across the house to even turn on the Wii.

Haven't bothered with Dolphin in a few months ever since I tried to get my PC to recognize the Dualshock 3 using BT rather than motionjoy drivers (which worked fine) as I couldn't get both BT + motionjoy to work without one breaking the other.

Will go back to MJ drivers as I don't even use BT in general with my PC (onboard BT ability, Asus P8Z68)

The Hermit

So, my dad out of the blue bought this lapto:

Asus G74SX BBK7
Intel i7-2630QM 4G DVD WiMAX
GTX 560M 2GB Video
8GB RAM

If it was a GTX560 desktop, I wouldn't even ask, but since its a mobile I have no idea how good/bad it is. Is it enough for the Dolphin?

RPGCrazied

So, how do you get Wii motion + to work on your computer? I really don't want to spend $$$ on a dongle, I guess that's the only way.

King_Moc

Banned
My processor is a q8300 (2.5ghz quad core). Is that likely to be good enough for dolphin? I tried new super Mario bros before, but it ran in slow motion. Is that likely to be down to the processor or some settings within dolphin?

The improvement in sound since the earlier 3000ish revisions is impressive. Iffy clipping sound always killed the experience for me despite well emulated graphics. Might have to skip the console for this and go PC with Skyward Sword (if Skyrim ever ends).

Paracelsus

King_Moc said:
My processor is a q8300 (2.5ghz quad core). Is that likely to be good enough for dolphin? I tried new super Mario bros before, but it ran in slow motion. Is that likely to be down to the processor or some settings within dolphin?

Unless you have a shitty gpu and you had AA enabled I think you need to overclock your cpu a little, at least up to 3.0ghz.

Dascu

RPGCrazied said:
So, how do you get Wii motion + to work on your computer? I really don't want to spend $$$ on a dongle, I guess that's the only way.
You can buy one for like... 5 bucks? I bought mine for 3 euro off an eBay seller here.

I also suggest a sensor bar (your Wii's or a wireless one for PC), though it's not necessary. Just handy so you don't have manually recalibrate from time to time.

The Lamp

Is there a way to get rid of that incredibly blurry-effect that SS in Dolphin? I saw people get rid of it in the demo screenshots but all the pics I've seen of the final game so far have it.

Giran

Baiano19 said:
even if it is a i7? Well, I can OC that easily...

You could but you'll still be below 3GHz and you'll likely not be too happy about your temps, as well as the power consumption if you're not plugged in. Still, it's obviously worth a try to see it for yourself how it performs.

Red

Baiano19 said:
even if it is a i7? Well, I can OC that easily...
Not sure how easy it will be to OC a laptop cpu to proper speeds.

As far as I know, none of my Dolphin shots have been posted elsewhere. Just one of Ghirahim that was Reggie-fied on GAF.

You guys are so lucky being internet famous.

Nymerio

Wow, Zelda sure looks great. What kind of rig do you need to get decent performance? I have an i5 750 and a GTX 570 and was wondering if I should even bother trying...

Bossniak

Nymerio said:
Wow, Zelda sure looks great. What kind of rig do you need to get decent performance? I have an i5 750 and a GTX 570 and was wondering if I should even bother trying...

The game runs like butter for me same CPU and with a GTX 460. You should have no problem.

Moaradin

Nymerio said:

I have an i5-760@4ghz and GTX 460, so you should be fine. I run zelda without a hitch.

masterkajo

Bog said:
Anyone using a stock i5 2500k and a 6870 2GB? How's this run for you?
I am using a i5 2500k at 3,3GHz (not OC), a 5770 and 4GB or RAM. So far with some weaking I get a constant 30FPS albeit not with 4x native resolution but only 3x. Still gorgoues. If I do 4x I vary between 23-30FPS and I'd rather have a constant framerate. I could of course overclock the CPU and then it should be fine even with 4x native.

My only problem is that my Wiimote seems to keep disconnecting. Guess it is my Hama bluetooth adapter. Will try a different one off of amazon or ebay.

A few noob questions:

Is it always better do go with D3D11 instead of 9?

When I choose LLE DSP settings for sound, the game won't load and says it's missing something. Do I need to download a plugin or something for that? A lot of my games tend to have sound issues and the solutions that come up when I google are to go with LLE, but the game never loads when I choose that in the audio options.

SMG2 runs pretty great but out of two levels I've tried so far, I've had no music in them. Is this fixed by using the LLE DSP thing? HOW DO I GET IT TO STARTUP?? :/

I have an i7 920 2.67GHz overclocked to 3.9GHz, but at Dolphin startup it says 2.67GHz. Is my overclock somehow not applying to Dolphin? Or despite the wrong detected clock speed my CPU is still performing at the overclocked setting?

Oh and New Super Mario Bros. runs flawlessly. Highly recommend it.

MisterAnderson said:
When I choose LLE DSP settings for sound, the game won't load and says it's missing something. Do I need to download a plugin or something for that? A lot of my games tend to have sound issues and the solutions that come up when I google are to go with LLE, but the game never loads when I choose that in the audio options.

SMG2 runs pretty great but out of two levels I've tried so far, I've had no music in them. Is this fixed by using the LLE DSP thing? HOW DO I GET IT TO STARTUP?? :/

LLE requires roms from the Wii to be dumped or "acquired." Since they are Nintendo code, they can't be distributed with Dolphin.

The Dolphin forums has a utility that can be run on hacked Wii's to dump the roms.

StopMakingSense said:
LLE requires roms from the Wii to be dumped or "acquired." Since they are Nintendo code, they can't be distributed with Dolphin.

The Dolphin forums has a utility that can be run on hacked Wii's to dump the roms.

Are the roms from the Wii you're referring to specific to each game or it's just a few set roms that is required to run LLE mode across all games?

Top Bottom