• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

New album up, SSX On Tour

http://www.dolphinsnacks.com/screenshots/ssxontour/

sot1.jpg

sot2.jpg

How'd you get it to work?

Edit: Nevermind, seems like the latest versions got it working finally :)

So I already have Sin & Punishment, are there any other Wii games I should get to play with a 360 controller on Dolphin? Usually more of a 360/PS3/PC gamer, but I really like Sin & Punishment. I have no Wiimotes, however, so Wiimote-only games are excluded.

I have a beast PC so running most games shouldn't be a problem. GTX 570, Core i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz, 8 GB of RAM, SSD, etc

So I already have Sin & Punishment, are there any other Wii games I should get to play with a 360 controller on Dolphin? Usually more of a 360/PS3/PC gamer, but I really like Sin & Punishment. I have no Wiimotes, however, so Wiimote-only games are excluded.

I have a beast PC so running most games shouldn't be a problem. GTX 570, Core i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz, 8 GB of RAM, SSD, etc

How did you dump your games if you don't own a Wiimote?

wiggleb0t

Banned
Actually, that's completely wrong. Nothing says you need to own the hardware to run an emulator. Of course, that is only true as long as the emulator doesn't use any binary blobs extracted from the hardware. So in the case of Dolphin, you'd only be able to use the HLE sound option. Also, it's hard (but not impssible) to get the game data without a Wii.

Completely wrong? Bit of a grey area, actually it's kinda black and white. Since the days of roms and emulators it's ALWAYS been expressed you need to own the roms and the HARDWARE that accompanies them to be able to play them.
Copyrighted code or not, it's emulating a system in which you have to pay for to play the games. I'll just sit in the corner and be quiet now though as it's kinda pointless me saying anything else.

How did you dump your games if you don't own a Wiimote?

A friend of mine did it for me, but like I said, the only Wii game I bought and use on Dolphin is Sin & Punishment. Are there any other Wii games worth buying that work well on Dolphin with a 360 controller?

I couldn't resist S&P, it was like $13 on Amazon 6 months ago.

I'm pretty sure a Wii Remote comes bundled with every Wii sold in the US.

You uh...you are buying and dumping your own games I would hope.

I'm pretty sure a Wii Remote comes bundled with every Wii sold in the US.

You uh...you are buying and dumping your own games I would hope.

Amazon.com said:
Shipped on May 4, 2011

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$13.99

Am I actually going to get an answer, or just thinly veiled accusations of piracy?

I wasn't accusing you of anything, I was just curious how you were getting your games if you don't have a Wiimote. I would recommend buying a Wiimote + Nunchuk + Bluetooth adaptor + Wireless sensor bar, since most games (including S&P) are going to play much better with it, but if that's not an option for you then I would check out Klonoa.

I'm pretty sure the moral code of emulation is that you own both the system and game, no?
Not really, although it could be considered a grey area if he doesn't personally own the equipment necessary to make a legal backup of his games.

I wasn't accusing you of anything, I was just curious how you were getting your games if you don't have a Wiimote. I would recommend buying a Wiimote + Nunchuk + Bluetooth adaptor + Wireless sensor bar, since most games (including S&P) are going to play much better with it, but if that's not an option for you then I would check out Klonoa.

Cool, thanks. I can get a Bluetooth adapter I guess, I just kinda dislike the Wiimote for games.
I'm pretty sure the moral code of emulation is that you own both the system and game, no?
My brother has a Wii if that counts. I've never used it though.

But why would you buy a game with no system to play it on?

Because I'm a Treasure fanboy and wanted to play it on Dolphin in glorious HD.

Thrakier

So SS emulation definilty isn't perfect. There is an issue with double lines from time to time in some scenes. Need to test lower res if this is the problem. A shame FSAA isn't working without glitches.

Durante

Completely wrong? Bit of a grey area, actually it's kinda black and white. Since the days of roms and emulators it's ALWAYS been expressed you need to own the roms and the HARDWARE that accompanies them to be able to play them.
Copyrighted code or not, it's emulating a system in which you have to pay for to play the games. I'll just sit in the corner and be quiet now though as it's kinda pointless me saying anything else.
An emulator is a means to enable compatibility between systems. There's legal precedent establishing that this is perfectly valid. As you say, it's not a grey area -- as long as the rules are followed (no use of protected binary blobs/documentation in building the software) the situation is very clear: emulators are legal, regardless of whether you own the system being emulated.

(Now, in the specific case of Dolphin and the Wii, you'd be hard pressed to find a legal way to transfer your game software to your system without owning a Wii, but that's a separate issue)

grkazan12

So the Wireless Wii Sensor Bar I ordered from DealExtreme arrived today and it works but the Wiimote is having problems with being tracked. The Wii Sensor Bar position is set to top in the settings, I can track the Wiimote as a cursor in games but it only seems to be in certain areas. A

Any recommendations would be awesome?

Still don't know what's wrong.

jediyoshi

Still don't know what's wrong.

If you're using a real Wiimote, there shouldn't be any areas inaccessible for the pointer despite the position setting. Have you tried setting the position to bottom to test? Are the areas still inaccesible if you use a mouse?

Mistle

In SS, it seems motion controls work so much better when playing on an actual Wii. They do work on Dolphin, but they're so much cleaner and smoother on the Wii. Definitely makes the non-emulated experience vastly superior for me, no matter how great it looks on Dolphin (and how bad it looks sometimes, in terms of inaccurate rendering, slowdown, glitching).

Does anybody else know what I mean? Or have most people here only played on Dolphin? Unless you try the real version then you probably wouldn't notice, but once you do, it's so obvious. I'm starting to think *some* (obviously not all) complaints about motion controls come from Dolphin users.

Of course, it could be a technical issue on my side. I'm not sure how that'd be though, as I have it all set up correctly :S

All that said though, I'll be doing my second run on Dolphin. Should still be great, even if just visually.

Medalion

Banned
I use the slingshot as an example, shooting stuff is way way inaccurate for me no matter how precise I aim the aiming dot in Dolphin but on the Wii itself, is razor sharp accurate

jediyoshi

I'm starting to think *some* (obviously not all) complaints about motion controls come from Dolphin users.

That's a fairly broad statement. Do you mean in general, for the Wii or very specifically motionplus games? I'm hard pressed to find many complaints about regular Wiimote usage in Dolphin and obviously there's a big gap between the quality of emulation with and without.

Mistle

That's a fairly broad statement. Do you mean in general, for the Wii or very specifically motionplus games? I'm hard pressed to find many complaints about regular Wiimote usage in Dolphin and obviously there's a big gap between the quality of emulation with and without.
Purely SS M+ usage. I'm not trying to discredit Dolphin in any way as it's an amazing creation, but my experience with this specific game and the motion controls shows that the true Wii hardware does a superior job.
And for a game that's centered around motion controls, it could lead to some bad impressions of it.

Thoraxes

Purely SS M+ usage. I'm not trying to discredit Dolphin in any way as it's an amazing creation, but my experience with this specific game and the motion controls shows that the true Wii hardware does a superior job.
And for a game that's centered around motion controls, it could lead to some bad impressions of it.

After having tried both in essentially your exact situation, I agree. Finished it on the Wii, went to Dolphin for "second playthrough" and ran into some of the problems people were talking about with the controls, whereas my experience on the actual console itself were near-flawless.

Thrakier

After having tried both in essentially your exact situation, I agree. Finished it on the Wii, went to Dolphin for "second playthrough" and ran into some of the problems people were talking about with the controls, whereas my experience on the actual console itself were near-flawless.

Which problems should that be? I compared them and I didn't notice any differences. My movement is 1:1 with the sword movement of link, that's how it should be, isn't it?

Dascu

I use the slingshot as an example, shooting stuff is way way inaccurate for me no matter how precise I aim the aiming dot in Dolphin but on the Wii itself, is razor sharp accurate
Are you sure "Skip EFB Access to CPU" (or soemthing) is off? 'Cause that messed up the aiming in Dolphin really bad.

Thrakier

Are you sure "Skip EFB Access to CPU" (or soemthing) is off? 'Cause that messed up the aiming in Dolphin really bad.

If they all used Thoraxes' "internet famous" settings then...yes, I know where all the complaints are coming from. ;) He has it enabled and is also running with FSAA (which is causing gfx glitches).

Red

If they all used Thoraxes' "internet famous" settings then...yes, I know where all the complaints are coming from. ;) He has it enabled and is also running with FSAA (which is causing gfx glitches).
AA does not cause glitches for everyone. I used it all the way through with no problems. Others actually required it to get rid of bugs present when it was disabled.

It's best to take a "try and see" approach.

Thrakier

AA does not cause glitches for everyone. I used it all the way through with no problems. Others actually required it to get rid of bugs present when it was disabled.

It's best to take a "try and see" approach.

Right. I wonder what makes the difference here, we are all using the same revision. It's weird that it glitches only for some.

Red

Right. I wonder what makes the difference here, we are all using the same revision. It's weird that it glitches only for some.
Could be some difference between the PAL and NTSC versions, or maybe a conflict with certain drivers. All I know is the game worked exceedingly well for me from visuals to controls. It wasn't perfect, but problems were rare -- and often, what I ran into differed from the more ubiquitous glitches. It's either that, or the problems I had have not been reported on elsewhere.

Thrakier

Just played for a few hours and I agree. The controls are bad on dolphin for me whereas it was near flawless on my Wii. Back to the Wii it goes.

Ah well. At least I'm now completely confident in Nintendo's HD ability. The game is gorgeous and I was floored at the first cave alone. Up there with Team Fortress, imo.

Don't be so vague. Please explain what's bad and what's better on Wii. I don't notice a difference.

Thrakier

Weird. My Wiimote + addon is perfectly 1:1 with links sword. Even the latency is quite slow. I don't know why we are experiencing such vastly different things.

@Chris

Same experience like Mr. Sandmann? Or both versions behaved the same? That sentence is unclear. ;D

Haunted

Yeah, I noticed that the Motion Plus Wiimote used on Dolphin seems to lose its centred calibration earlier than on the Wii itself, especially during sword play.

Could have a multitude of reasons, the quality of the sensor bar for example (I have a really cheap one). It forces me to play even more deliberately and carefully on the Dolphin. Improved graphics are well worth it, though.

Simple stuff really, I slash one way he slashes another. I'll go diagonally, he'll go vertically. I know it happened on the Wii but it's worse here.
Not at the first slash though, right? It gets "off" the more you swing, but much earlier than on the Wii. At least that's the way for me.

Weird. My Wiimote + addon is perfectly 1:1 with links sword. Even the latency is quite slow. I don't know why we are experiencing such vastly different things.

@Chris

Same experience like Mr. Sandmann? Or both versions behaved the same? That sentence is unclear. ;D

Haha you are right it was ambiguous. I have had the same experience playing it on the wii as I have had playing it on the dolphin.

And for what its worth, I played about 3 or 4 hours into the game on the wii, and then switched to the dolphin version and redid the same 3 to 4 hours before continuing on with the rest of the game.

Thrakier

Haha you are right it was ambiguous. I have had the same experience playing it on the wii as I have had playing it on the dolphin.

And for what its worth, I played about 3 or 4 hours into the game on the wii, and then switched to the dolphin version and redid the same 3 to 4 hours before continuing on with the rest of the game.

Okay, yeah, same here. I have to say, while the 1:1 trackign works mighty fine, the sword gameplay is still...I don't know...waggle. I think the problem here is that you have to move the sword at different paces and that's unnatural.

aett

Does anyone know if there's some way to fix the sound in Donkey Kong Country Returns? The music occasionally messes up a little bit, usually by only coming out of the left or right channel for a few seconds, but I can deal with that. A bigger problem I've been having is that I just entered the sixth stage and there is loud static playing over all of the music/sound effects.

Thrakier

lol @Thoraxes for making some settings which are more or less just "click everything I can" including EFB Access which fucks up the aiming and then stop playing it on dolphin because "the cursor feels better on the wii". WTH dude. To think that people just copy & paste that settings without even...ah, whatever. Internet. It's the internet.

So, is anyone else getting framerate problems when locked on enemies sometimes? I didn't have those till the first lizard enemy, where it began. And then it came sometimes back when those red guys with the electricity things came. Running 4x res with 16AF and no AA.

Mistle

On Dolphin, my controls generally seem to be much more inaccurate. And it's not the EFB issue. Links sword placement even when I'm not swinging commonly screws up, where on Wii it probably happened once over 50 hours. I could be holding the Wiimote to my side and Link will have it across his whole body. Aiming is janky and so is item selection (item selection can be all sorts of wrong sometimes :S) It all works but nowhere near as well as on Wii, which is so smooth. And when just moving the sword, even when it is accurate, it can also be janky. When making the eyes dizzy for example, instead of smooth circles, Link makes these... bumpy, disjointed circles. lol

If this can be fixed, enlighten me! Again, I'm not hating on Dolphin. But Wii is definitely working better for me (and others it seems). You can't dispute it.

Thrakier

On Dolphin, my controls generally seem to be much more inaccurate. And it's not the EFB issue. Links sword placement even when I'm not swinging commonly screws up, where on Wii it probably happened once over 50 hours. I could be holding the Wiimote to my side and Link will have it across his whole body. Aiming is janky and so is item selection (item selection can be all sorts of wrong sometimes :S) It all works but nowhere near as well as on Wii, which is so smooth. And when just moving the sword, even when it is accurate, it can also be janky. When making the eyes dizzy for example, instead of smooth circles, Link makes these... bumpy, disjointed circles. lol

If this can be fixed, enlighten me! Again, I'm not hating on Dolphin. But Wii is definitely working better for me (and others it seems). You can't dispute it.

I don't have those problems. Making the eyes dizzy wasn't a problem at all. I didn't compare that section on wii but my circles weren't...bumpy and disjointed? Also the positioning almost never screws up. At least I don't remember that that happened. I don't think the probleme here is Dolphin...I don't know though.

Red

The controls worked really well for me on Dolphin. It was 1:1 90% of the time, and I only ever needed to recalibrate after a few bouts of fast swinging. Maybe 10-15 times during a full 45 hours.

I made sure to perform occasional skyward strikes while running around though, and that may have adjusted for inconsistencies.

SS on Dolphin is not perfect, but it remains impressive. Most glitches are relatively minor, and the visual benefit is staggering. If my experience is anything to go by, you may experience bugginess for an hour or two over the course of the entire game. That's what, 4% of the game? A reasonable tradeoff Imo.

Simple stuff really, I slash one way he slashes another. I'll go diagonally, he'll go vertically. I know it happened on the Wii but it's worse here.

Move your bluetooth adapter in a place where it would allow your wiimote to get better signal.

That shit happened to me too, luckily my monitor has a bunch of USB ports on it and it works great there.

Thoraxes

Which problems should that be? I compared them and I didn't notice any differences. My movement is 1:1 with the sword movement of link, that's how it should be, isn't it?
I think it's mostly in accordance to how the motion+ automatically re-orients itself whenever it can pick up the sensor bar and with some sluggishness of picking up the actual motions I do. It's not horrible, but it's enough that it throws off the agility I as used to when playing on the actual Wii itself.

This could be a number of many things though, and could even be related to my hardware or bluetooth adapter.

lol @Thoraxes for making some settings which are more or less just "click everything I can" including EFB Access which fucks up the aiming and then stop playing it on dolphin because "the cursor feels better on the wii". WTH dude. To think that people just copy & paste that settings without even...ah, whatever. Internet. It's the internet.

So, is anyone else getting framerate problems when locked on enemies sometimes? I didn't have those till the first lizard enemy, where it began. And then it came sometimes back when those red guys with the electricity things came. Running 4x res with 16AF and no AA.
Hey now, I made these settings way back when the demo came out for the demo. In multiple posts since then I have constantly said that they may not carry over as well to the actual full game, which in my case they have not. Also I know what each does, know what they effect, and how that relates to overall performance, and in general it's helped many people out as you can see. No need to call me a fool for not knowing what does what, because I do what affects what, why, and how.

When I enabled EFB access I got slightly better performance at the cost of slightly off-center aiming. I tested it with both, and it's not like it was with EFB access, but it's the rate at which the wiimote gets polled when it it uses the sensor bar to reorient itself (it does this automatically while the game is running in addition to the manual calibration that is in the menus) that experienced a delay over the use on the actual console, which could be due in part to a number of external factors unrelated to the actual emulator itself in addition to anything in the emulator.

weeskwee

Banned
I just jumped on the Dolphin train. With 75 Wii games in my collection, it seemed like a good thing to do. I brought my Wii from the downstairs tv up to my room and placed it right next to my pc. Both are sharing the same 32 inch HDTV. Formatted a 250 Gb external hard drive to Fat32.

First I installed Dolphin on the pc. Then used LetterBomb, Homebrew Channel, IOS236, d2x, USB Loader, and finally the Homebrew Browser.
After ripping the games on the wii using usb loader, I use a program called Wii Backup Manager to convert the files to ISO.
Already owned a usb bluetooth adapter so I used that to pair my Wiimote to the pc.
Also have it configured with my wireless 360 controller. :)

The first game I tested was Fortune Street. Looks great and runs fine. But there is one issue. Some sound effects start skipping and never stop. It happens within about 5 minutes of play, and becomes torture to hear so I end up playing with sound turned off. The music never skips, so I may just go into audio options and turn off sound effects while leaving on music.

One single problem remains. Motion controls with the Wiimote. I have an old Pelican wireless sensor bar that I have not used for 2 years. I can't seem to get it to do anything. Changed the batteries, turned it on. How does this thing even work?! There is no cable to connect to the wii or pc. It just takes batteries and has 1 reset button. Wtf! Wish there was a way to use the wii sensor bar, but the cable connector is unique to the wii.

Last question. Some games use Mii's as your character. Is there anyway using Dolphin to edit a Mii or it's name instead of using the generic default the games have. On Fortune Street I am always named Guest 3 and picked from a short list of premade Mii's. :p

Red

It isn't really necessary to use a fat32 drive, fyi. I don't know if you made that choice purposefully. Usbloader can just as easily write to ntfs drives.

weeskwee

Banned
It isn't really necessary to use a fat32 drive, fyi. I don't know if you made that choice purposefully. Usbloader can just as easily write to ntfs drives.

my first attempt was with a NTFS drive. it already had exisiting data on it. but from what i read it still should have worked. well i kept getting errors. usb loader did not seem to see that drive. but then i wiped it and did fat32 and usb loader detected and used it perfectly.

does one still need to add those 2 lines of text to the config file for NTFS to work? i tried that too but no luck. hmm. not sure i want to wipe and do this all over.

weeskwee

Banned
argh. from what i have been reading, the only way to rip gamecube games is on a hacked gamecube. is this true?

i have a small collection of gamecube games (wind waker and eternal darkness being 2 of them) and am sad i wont be able to play them on dolphin. :(

Nabs

argh. from what i have been reading, the only way to rip gamecube games is on a hacked gamecube. is this true?

i have a small collection of gamecube games (wind waker and eternal darkness being 2 of them) and am sad i wont be able to play them on dolphin. :(

CleanRip

Top Bottom