• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Thrakier

Is D3DOverrider really needed when is possible to enable Triple Buffering directly on Nvidia's control panel? Pardon me if I'm saying something wrong, please.

I don't think d3Do is working with Dolphin. As far as I know it does not. Forcing it on the CP is only for OpenGL, doesn't work for DX games (that means almost all games).

I'm still struggeling with some minor framestuttering I get sometimes...in cutscenes or camera pans. It's not often, 90% it's smooth. This suttering aren't framedrops because the frames are stable @40FPS. It's just a minor annoyance but it would be nice to get rid of it.

Kai

Hey guys - I am a n00b at this stuff - can you tell me if my current system would be able to run Dolphin and also how well?

Here are my specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8200 @2.66GHz
- 4 GB Ram
- Vista 32-Bit
- GeForce GT 240

How would it run?

linko9

Hey, just got this up and running on my new laptop, wind waker runs great; full speed at a very high resolution with AA and whatnot. My problem is that I can't get rid of that pixelated background effect. All of the instructions I've seen for getting rid of it must be for an older version of the emulator, because nothing I try works. There are a lot of options that involve EFB, and I keep trying different combinations of them, but nothing works. I searched the thread and didn't find anything, but sorry if this has been answered.

edit: nevermind, fixed it.

Red

Hey guys - I am a n00b at this stuff - can you tell me if my current system would be able to run Dolphin and also how well?

Here are my specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8200 @2.66GHz
- 4 GB Ram
- Vista 32-Bit
- GeForce GT 240

How would it run?
Poorly.

To the above on d3doverrider: it could be that it doesn't work with Dolphin, but I have never noticed screen tearing when it is turned on unless I am in openGL.

And on SS AA, I am sure it is applied because it makes the DoF look better for me.

elektrixx

Banned
The emulation has been perfect for me so far except for this one minor thing. I notice it in doorways and stuff too. Is there a quick fix for this?:

SOUP01-431.png

While I was at it I thought I'd post the photo album so far (is there a way to remove the black bars in-game?).

Red

Look better even? o_O It should completly screw DOF over.
I know. But for a few lucky people it works as it's meant to. For some, it is actually necessary to remove glitches.

You can see it is turned on in the the screens I've posted, and as far as I can tell, they all look like they should.

To the above: I had the same problem with those light shafts. Completely ruined one otherwise great-looking hallway. I speculated the bug might be due to per pixel lighting, but I'm not sure. You're the only other person I've seen mention it.

Thrakier

I know. But for a few lucky people it works as it's meant to. For some, it is actually necessary to remove glitches.

You can see it is turned on in the the screens I've posted, and as far as I can tell, they all look like they should.

To the above: I had the same problem with those light shafts. Completely ruined one otherwise great-looking hallway. I speculated the bug might be due to per pixel lighting, but I'm not sure. You're the only other person I've seen mention it.

I didn't check them because they are endgame spoilers. Maybe you can post some. I'm still wondering how you can better FPS in Zelda while SMGI is @40FPS with LLE while I can run SMG2 @60FPS with LLE...weird.

I gave up and came back to my Wii. The image quality really was amazing, but the controls were not. It kept losing track of my wiimote plus and there was some lag in the input. It was minimal, but noticeable nonetheless. It was easy to see the differences as soon as I came back to the Wii.

It was a shame, though. Once you see a Wii game in all its HD glory, it's difficult to see it again in 480p. Maybe it's my bluetooth adapter? I was 5 feet far from it, at most. Couldn't come any closer because I'm playing on a 50 pol plasma and could get blinded by it :D

Does anyone have any ideas? I've lost about 4h playing with all possible configurations and I'm really tired of doing so.

Red

I gave up and came back to my Wii. The image quality really was amazing, but the controls were not. It kept losing track of my wiimote plus and there was some lag in the input. It was minimal, but noticeable nonetheless. It was easy to see the differences as soon as I came back to the Wii.

It was a shame, though. Once you see a Wii game in all its HD glory, it's difficult to see it again in 480p. Maybe it's my bluetooth adapter? I was 5 feet far from it, at most. Couldn't come any closer because I'm playing on a 50 pol plasma and could get blinded by it :D

Does anyone have any ideas? I've lost about 4h playing with all possible configurations and I'm really tired of doing so.
If you are having serious issues with your set up, I recommend simply playing on Wii. The most important thing is to enjoy the game, and that's not going to happen if you're worrying about finding the best config and running into input lag. Better to just play it natively, without potential problems.

Pics showcasing DoF @ 8x AA:
http://db.tt/itJ1Nu90
http://db.tt/5FSItuaj

I'm getting those weird light shafts dotted lines too!! And I thought that something about my setting was the problem and not common since I haven't read.about it here...

Anyway... How could I get Dolphin running on cores different from 0 since I have a Phenom II X6 @4.0Ghz and want to try out if it increases performance by assigning it to different cores since when on Skyloft at night I get drops to 22fps. =(

Help!

P.S. there are times where SS seems to be made for current gen or HD and by that I mean that the game is gorgeous!!!

Thrakier

Hm, you'd need to make a video to actually let us judge if it behaves different for you. I didn't notice any lag which made me think "that's not normal". Sure there is lag but that shouldj ust be normal I guess for 1:1. Normal movement with the analog stick or button presses etc. don't feel laggy at all.

@Crunched
The 2nd shot looks a bit off though but I really don't know. It's also hard to just judge it from screenshots.

@necronokikon

Settings?

The input lag is minimal, but it's there. I wouldn't have problems with it if Dolphin didn't lose track of my movements. It's hard to explain it, but I'll try.

Sometimes it loses my wiimote, sometimes it thinks my nunchuck is unplugged or it stops responding for a couple seconds. As I increase the "render size" in the config options, the problem seems to get worse. If I choose the "native render size", AA and AF are not applied at all, even when they're set.

I really want to play it in HD and I know no emulator in this world is perfect. I'm sorry if it seems I'm complaining, but I'm not. I just want to find a nice config to play. I don't give up easily :D If I find a suitable solution, other people with the same PC as mine can play the same way.

reektann

I had a few issues with the bluetooth range as my PC is right behind quite a hefty chair and sometimes it would seem a little "glitchy" . I got a USB 2.0 extension cable and just ran it round the side so the Bluetooth adapter is sat on my coffee table right next to me - sorted out the issue nicely.

Thrakier

The input lag is minimal, but it's there. I wouldn't have problems with it if Dolphin didn't lose track of my movements. It's hard to explain it, but I'll try.

Sometimes it loses my wiimote, sometimes it thinks my nunchuck is unplugged or it stops responding for a couple seconds. As I increase the "render size" in the config options, the problem seems to get worse. If I choose the "native render size", AA and AF are not applied at all, even when they're set.

I really want to play it in HD and I know no emulator in this world is perfect. I'm sorry if it seems I'm complaining, but I'm not. I just want to find a nice config to play. I don't give up easily :D If I find a suitable solution, other people with the same PC as mine can play the same way.

You are saying that you are sitting very close? I noticed that it works better for me when I'm further away. To me it seems to run pretty much as it's supposed to be though I didn't make a sientific comparison with the wii version.

IronRinn

Finally got everything running (with the help of Thoraxes settings) at 30 fps. My two big complaints are the shadows, which seem to move along the ground as I run as large, geometric shapes. They're transparent, so the don't block out anything, but they don't blend in at all. The other is an issue with the slingshot, where Link is not firing where the reticule is, the projectiles are firing up and to the right of the crosshair.

TGMIII

Has anyone tried No More Heroes 2 with any of the latest builds. Last time I tried it I know it wasn't 100% stable and you'd get frame drops all the time. Just want to know before I spend the time ripping the game onto my new PC.

Red

Finally got everything running (with the help of Thoraxes settings) at 30 fps. My two big complaints are the shadows, which seem to move along the ground as I run as large, geometric shapes. They're transparent, so the don't block out anything, but they don't blend in at all. The other is an issue with the slingshot, where Link is not firing where the reticule is, the projectiles are firing up and to the right of the crosshair.
Uncheck the first option in the hacks menu, it causes the messed up aiming. Something to do with the efb.

The hack is "skip access from efb" or something like that. Make sure it is unchecked.

Hm, you'd need to make a video to actually let us judge if it behaves different for you. I didn't notice any lag which made me think "that's not normal". Sure there is lag but that shouldj ust be normal I guess for 1:1. Normal movement with the analog stick or button presses etc. don't feel laggy at all.

@Crunched
The 2nd shot looks a bit off though but I really don't know. It's also hard to just judge it from screenshots.

@necronokikon

Settings?

Same as felipepl, but have as 3xres and 2xAA and 16xAF. Tried putting AA to none and the same results, and I don't wan't to dismiss AF since colors looks so smooth with it. I've also tried to lower resolution but it doesn't improve that much (lowering to 2xres) and it looks blurred.

I mean, I can handle those fps drops (since it's emulated and it looks so AWESOME) but it would be nice to get it as smooth as the Wii.

Also, could it be that AMD Phenom's are the ones experiencing those light shaft bugs?? A friend of mine has a i5 2500k and have the same settings as I do and tells me he doesn't see them! Also, there were times when activating a time shift rock that the sky turned black to me! Has anyone suffered that bug too?

Red

Sky has gone black for me too, but I'm on an i7.

the light shafts bug is only present in rare spots within lanayru as far as I can tell. It's possible your friend is looking in the wrong place.

Nekrono

Same as felipepl, but have as 3xres and 2xAA and 16xAF. Tried putting AA to none and the same results, and I don't wan't to dismiss AF since colors looks so smooth with it. I've also tried to lower resolution but it doesn't improve that much (lowering to 2xres) and it looks blurred.

I mean, I can handle those fps drops (since it's emulated and it looks so AWESOME) but it would be nice to get it as smooth as the Wii.

Also, could it be that AMD Phenom's are the ones experiencing those light shaft bugs?? A friend of mine has a i5 2500k and have the same settings as I do and tells me he doesn't see them! Also, there were times when activating a time shift rock that the sky turned black to me! Has anyone suffered that bug too?

I don't think it's AMD Phenom related because I do have those light shaft bugs too :p (2500k here) but even though I do notice them it doesn't annoy me at all. Those graphical issues are pretty forgettable when playing (expect the shadow/texture flicker one).

Now as far as FPS drops on Skyloft at night I have none, smooth 30FPS everywhere I look and I'm running my processor at stock. Black sky after activating a time shift rock is another thing I haven't experienced as well but I did however have dolphin freeze/crash on me after activating one.

IronRinn

Has anyone here tried exporting a Dolphin save to the Wii? Seems there is a tool in Dolphin to do so. Thinking of doing it to see if the controls in Skyward Sword are that much better. Don't really want to have to replay those first, slow few hours though.

The main thing is to make sure you are a proper distance from the sensor bar. Too close and it won't be able to keep m+ calibrated.
Maybe that's my problem. I don't remember feeling this problem on my fisrt day with Dolphin and I'm pretty sure I was 1 or 2 feet farther from the sensor bar. Also, it never thought my nunchuck wasn't plugged in, really weird. I'll give it a try.

Chuckpebble

You do. Unless u have a wireless sensor bar or a USB sensor bar for your pc( harder to get).

You can also use two candles in a pinch. Just gotta be careful not to confuse your girlfriend about it being sexy time without her at your computer.

Seriously though, sensor bar is a misnomer, its two sources of infrared light, the camera is in the wiimote. You could probably make one with a quick trip to radio shack.

JVIDICAN

What Blu-tooth dongle are you guys using? I'm not sure what to get. :3
and if the dongle works for dolphin should it work with motioninjoy(DS3 use) too?

Thrakier

so my skyward sword suddenly starts crashing. Always when changing the world, like goingo t or in a dungeon or beaming in the sky. any ideas?

jediyoshi

and if the dongle works for dolphin should it work with motioninjoy(DS3 use) too?
Possibly, although I believe for it to use motioninjoy, it'd have to be dedicated at that point to only use that until you reinstall it's drivers.

going to test this out but how can i rip my wii games? i'm sure this has been answered somewhere in the thread already :/
You'll need a Wii that can run homebrew
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291277
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
What Blu-tooth dongle are you guys using? I'm not sure what to get. :3

The problem with Motioninjoy is that it'll override the BT drivers so you can't use any other devices with the dongle... to use both Wiimotes and PS3 controllers wirelessly on one PC, you'd have to have 2 BT dongles.

JVIDICAN

The problem with Motioninjoy is that it'll override the BT drivers so you can't use any other devices with the dongle... to use both Wiimotes and PS3 controllers wirelessly on one PC, you'd have to have 2 BT dongles.

Well, that's kinda shitty. :/ It'd still be cheaper than buying 2 360 controllers and the adapter at least.

Beats

so my skyward sword suddenly starts crashing. Always when changing the world, like goingo t or in a dungeon or beaming in the sky. any ideas?

This happens to me too sometimes. I can't replicate it, or find the source of the problem so it seems to just happen whenever it feels like it I guess. Restarting Dolphin fixes it somehow. :x

Chairhome

Finally getting back into some Skyward Sword. I have some problems though. The shadow pop in was because I was using d3d9, i switched to d3d11 which fixes it but cuts my frames :-/. Also, I'm still having that problem where most times when I hit an enemy in a first encounter of an area, it'll freeze and the audio will stutter for a second, then it'll come back. Not too terrible, but annoying. I think I may need to try to OC my CPU a little more. Thoraxes was talking about running it on cores 1-3 and not 0, how can i do that? Is that "lock threads to cores"?

EDIT:
I'm sticking with D3D9, the texture problems (shadows) don't bother me too much, and it runs pretty smoothly. I am running at 1x and doing 9xSSAA and it runs really smoothly. Still have that issue with stuttering.
Other issue: When crossing rope, balancing isn't working for me. Maybe my bluetooth is inferior. Another issue is that I bought the wii sensor bar from deal xtreme that someone posted here and it sucks. The pointer jumps all over the place. Good thing it was cheap. Maybe I'll open up and figure out the problem.

eiskaltnz

I just picked up a Wii for cheap with a couple of controllers and 12 games.
After reading through this thread I have decided to use Dolphin as I do like my 1080p.

I guess this is the best place to ask for any game suggestions that are essential Wii games.
With the Wii I got both Galaxy's, NSMBW, Twilight Princess and Dead Space extraction. I am planning on getting the Metroid Trilogy and was wondering if anyone has anymore 'essential' suggestions.

OmegaErock

Neo Member

Are you running dx9? That has problems with shadows. If not you may need to enable AA. I had a similar problem with black shapes on the ground and enabling AA fixed it.

Qwomo

Hm. I keep running into a black/gray-screen glitch on Wind Waker, which usually happens after big story events (when the boat finds link/after the dragon roost boss). I fixed the first occurrence by ticking "fix item hang" under Properties->Patches, but this time around the Patches submenu is completely empty, there's nothing to tick/untick.

I guess I could install/reinstall Dolphin, but I finallly got all my configs/settings to work perfectly with WW, so I'm really loath to do that.

Anyone know anything about this bug?

I have some good news, guys.

After playing some more with the configs, I finally managed to play in a satisfactory way. Now I'm getting solid 30fps all the time and having no problems with sound or controls. I found out that enabling any rendering size but "Active Window" would lead into control problems (I was trying 2x, 2.5x, 3x and 4x).

Also, I was having some sound problems (sometimes sttutering, sometimes messed music and BGM). I switched to XSound2 instead of DSound and everything is fine now. Played 3 good hours yesterday and had a really good time.

Using Dolphin, it seems the wiimote loses its calibration (or so it thinks) more frequently than on Wii, but that doesn't annoy me. I just have to remember to recalibrate it once in a while.

For those wondering which setup I use, it's an I5 2500K OC'd to 4.4Ghz, 8GB of RAM, GTX570 and ASUS P8Z68-V. The bluetooth dongle I use is the one that comes with the mobo.

Weird. I'm playing at 4xres just fine. Your CPU is even more oced than mine...
I know... As I kept increasing the window rendering size, the controls were getting weirder. I finally managed to have a good input when I chose "Window Size". I'm using 1080p as resolution, so the image quality was great nonetheless. Really weird, it seems to be a sync problem.

IronRinn

So, a couple of things I noticed last night:

1.) Thanks to Crunched. Turning off "Skip EFB Access to CPU" helped with the aiming and seemed to make the controls better in general. I transferred my save over to my Wii (which worked very well) and the controls felt the same to me.

2.) Realized I was running in DX9 mode, which was giving me the weird shadows. Running in DX11, that's not a problem though there is some odd, ghostly images of scenery that appear sometimes.

3.)Turning off "Skip EFB Access to CPU" meant that I had to lower resolution to 3x and only go for 2x AA in order to maintain 30 fps (system is i5 2500K @ stock, 8gb RAM, 560 ti x 2 SLI).

4.) This may or may not be of interest (I haven't read the entire thread since SS's release) but about halfway through my session I realized that my USB powered sensor bar wasn't plugged in. Plugging it in dropped me about 5 frames and the sword movement seemed jerkier.

Top Bottom