• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

ss_lemonade

Something wasn't clear to me from the tutorials. I tried ripping my games in cfg USB, but they come out as folders rather than isos, and dolphin doesn't seem to use them.

Is there something I'm missing? Should I format the drive as NTFS rather than FAT so that it can handle files >4gb?

Are those wbfs files? You have convert them back to iso format. Don't know of any with a gui that does it, all I use is wbfs_file 2.9. Just stick the wbfs files in the same folder as the wbfs_file exe, then run the exe in command line with the game your converting as a parameter (example "wbfs_file.exe gamename.wbfs")

So I finally got F-Zero working great. Average FPS of about 20, but drops to as low as 14 at times. Strange how this game struggles, yet I can play some Wii games fine, without a hitch.

Anyway, I have the controls mapped to the keyboard for now, which really isn't ideal. I've got DarwiinRemote and Wiiji to try out for Classic Controller Pro setup (Wiiji works best), yet for some reason it's not working with F-Zero... any ideas?

Thrakier

What's the point of playing both SMGs in 1080p while the sound still does not work? :(

The sound does work though, just use LLE. And there are plenty of other games which run just fine. I'd say the majority. Shattered memories not working though really hurts me. :(

Hi GAF!

I just finished TLoZ:SS on Dolphin and I have to say that it was FUCKING AWESOME playing it at 1080p with almost constant stable 30fps all the time! And frankly I just couldn't believe
how gorgeous and beautiful is the last battle against Demise... it's just mind blowing

Anyway, after being filled with pride and joy and satisfaction I decided to just press A after all the credits stuff, and frankly didn't really mind to read the last messages which just brought me down to tears! I've overwritten my save file with the Hero Mode instead, which I thought would be some kind of trials and not a NG+ ....

This is the first Zelda EVER that saving after the end overwrites your save file and makes you start from zero again =( ... And I had a few sidequests on hold and some hearts to be found!

tl;dr

So does anyone have a save state or a save file just before the last boss???? or somewhere near that like
before entering the Triforce Temple
??

Caelus

Can someone help me play Skyward Sword? Wiimote works fine and so does the intro, game runs at speeds around 60-80%, and the background blur is horrendous. I have an Intel Core i5 CPU M460 @ 2.53 GHz

Thrakier

Hi GAF!

I just finished TLoZ:SS on Dolphin and I have to say that it was FUCKING AWESOME playing it at 1080p with almost constant stable 30fps all the time! And frankly I just couldn't believe
how gorgeous and beautiful is the last battle against Demise... it's just mind blowing

Anyway, after being filled with pride and joy and satisfaction I decided to just press A after all the credits stuff, and frankly didn't really mind to read the last messages which just brought me down to tears! I've overwritten my save file with the Hero Mode instead, which I thought would be some kind of trials and not a NG+ ....

This is the first Zelda EVER that saving after the end overwrites your save file and makes you start from zero again =( ... And I had a few sidequests on hold and some hearts to be found!

tl;dr

So does anyone have a save state or a save file just before the last boss???? or somewhere near that like
before entering the Triforce Temple
??

I have a savegame right before the end, I didn't do most of the side quests. Got the best shield already though. Write me a PM if you want it.

Can someone help me play Skyward Sword? Wiimote works fine and so does the intro, game runs at speeds around 60-80%, and the background blur is horrendous. I have an Intel Core i5 CPU M460 @ 2.53 GHz

This are the best settings brought to you by felipepl:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32829468&postcount=5932

Hope this helps you but it is also possible that your CPU could be the one responsible for the poor performance.

Try those settings out and I hope it helps you!

Mit-

This are the best settings brought to you by felipepl:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32829468&postcount=5932

Hope this helps you but it is also possible that your CPU could be the one responsible for the poor performance.

Try those settings out and I hope it helps you!

If those settings produce those screenshots they are far from the best settings. I don't understand how that was even playable for him. The background blur is EVERYWHERE, even 2 feet in front Link.

Rappy

If those settings produce those screenshots they are far from the best settings. I don't understand how that was even playable for him. The background blur is EVERYWHERE, even 2 feet in front Link.

I actually quite like how the effect looks in those screenshots. Looks more like you're playing in an impressionist painting. Although I don't think my game had the effect so prominent I don't see how it would hinder gameplay. You're kinda exaggerating...

elektrixx

Banned

It's a part of the game. The double vision is a good depth of field in 480p, not so much in 1080p.

I'm fine with it.

Mit-

I actually quite like how the effect looks in those screenshots. Looks more like you're playing in an impressionist painting. Although I don't think my game had the effect so prominent I don't see how it would hinder gameplay. You're kinda exaggerating...

It's a part of the game. The double vision is a good depth of field in 480p, not so much in 1080p.

I'm fine with it.

Mind boggling. It reduces all environment detail to the equivalent of Kirby's Epic Yarn. That is NOT the extent of which that effect is supposed to impact. Why are you even playing it in Instead of blurring distant objects, they get that amazing painting look. The ENTIRE GAME is not supposed to look like that @_@ What's the point of even playing it in HD if you're eliminating all the extra detail you're supposed to add?

Anyways, yes, I'm aware everyone's does not look like that, I'm just saying maybe there's something a little off in that specific choice of settings.

Red

Mind boggling. It reduces all environment detail to the equivalent of Kirby's Epic Yarn. That is NOT the extent of which that effect is supposed to impact. Why are you even playing it in Instead of blurring distant objects, they get that amazing painting look. The ENTIRE GAME is not supposed to look like that @_@ What's the point of even playing it in HD if you're eliminating all the extra detail you're supposed to add?

Anyways, yes, I'm aware everyone's does not look like that, I'm just saying maybe there's something a little off in that specific choice of settings.

feli's captures are blurrier than usual because he's using the free cam hack, and taking pictures from angles normally unavailable in-game. The DoF breaks under those conditions.

elektrixx

Banned

Here's what my game looks like. Is this what you're seeing?

elektrixx said:
SOUP01-51.png
SOUP01-62.png

SOUP01-178.png
SOUP01-382.png

SOUP01-298.png
SOUP01-413.png

x3r0123

i got pissed that my wiimote was not supported in the current version of dolphin. Now that there is a fix, skyward sword looks glorious. Too bad i had to restart the game from the beginning though. I was previously using kb/m to play it

jediyoshi

i got pissed that my wiimote was not supported in the current version of dolphin. Now that there is a fix, skyward sword looks glorious. Too bad i had to restart the game from the beginning though. I was previously using kb/m to play it
When you update your Dolphin, you can just drop the new files over your existing Dolphin directory and overwrite everything, your saves should still be intact.

You can still salvage your old saves by opening your old Dolphin, right click the game, hit export Wii save. There should be a file called data.bin in the <dolphin>\private\wii\title\SOUE folder. In your other Dolphin hit Tools, Wii Save Import and select that file. Should back up your files before trying though, of course.

x3r0123

When you update your Dolphin, you can just drop the new files over your existing Dolphin directory and overwrite everything, your saves should still be intact.

You can still salvage your old saves by opening your old Dolphin, right click the game, hit export Wii save. There should be a file called data.bin in the <dolphin>\private\wii\title\SOUE folder. In your other Dolphin hit Tools, Wii Save Import and select that file. Should back up your files before trying though, of course.

i already tried that before posting, it ended as corrupted save files. No biggie though, i was frustrated when i had to aim that bettle thing with kb/m in the first dungeon so now I already passed that part

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's ludicrous how good Resident Evil 4 looks. Absolutely perfect marriage of art and technology.

It's ludicrous how good Resident Evil 4 looks. Absolutely perfect marriage of art and technology.

It still amazes me that they were able to pull that off. Even now, some of the animation and designwork on the game looks outstanding. The reload animations alone are godlike.

Since I might be able to get a new PC by March, I'm eager to join the Dolphin Community^^ and play the game in all it's emulated HD glory and Wiimote support.

BLU-82

I am having such a hard time trying to find a DVD writer that will actually recognise wii disks or at least find somewhere that sells them! Is anyone here in UK/Europe that has a newish drive that recognises the disks for dump?

I have asked before in this thread and was referred to the usual website/thread which lists the various LG drives which are known to work. That thread is from 2007/8 and most of the drives are now ancient relics. Another problem is the very few places that still stock any of them won't ship to UK.
There seems to only be 4 drives in existence (LG) that can do it. I find it hard to believe that every single person in this thread owns one of these things????

I took a gamble and ordered 2 different LG drives that had similar model numbers to known working ones and both failed :(.

Azar

Most people dump from their Wiis. I was lucky enough to be able to get the SATA drive from someone on eBay specifically noting that the drive could read Wii games. They pop up every once in awhile.

Tomodachi

This probably isn't the best place to ask, but still I recall reading something about it here, so... I just got my first ever Wii, i need to but a better cable, is the hdmi converter better then the component cable? I'm talking about the neoya Wii2HDMI, I remember reading good things about it here, but I can't find those posts anymore :(

Also, since I'd like to try the Dolphin with Wii games and motionplus now that I own the console (I only tried gamecube titles so far), can you point me to a cheap wireless sensor bar I can use with my pc? Thanks a lot.

BLU-82

Most people dump from their Wiis. I was lucky enough to be able to get the SATA drive from someone on eBay specifically noting that the drive could read Wii games. They pop up every once in awhile.

Right after hours of fudging homebrew onto my system I think I got it working (USB loader thingy). Is there anyway I can get my wii zelda save into dolphin though? I took the data file thing off the SD card and went to import in dolphin but nothing shows up when I load the title screen?

Edit:

Tomodachi:
Fugly, but cheap and works.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002E1MLR8/

gillty

Banned
Right after hours of fudging homebrew onto my system I think I got it working (USB loader thingy). Is there anyway I can get my wii zelda save into dolphin though? I took the data file thing off the SD card and went to import in dolphin but nothing shows up when I load the title screen?

Edit:

Tomodachi:
Fugly, but cheap and works.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002E1MLR8/
I have this one powered off a 5v USB cable, just solder the red to red contact, black to black. Works perfectly vs using burning through 4aa every week.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Important question: Can the new, GameCube-less Wii still rip GameCube games? Are the disc drive and accompanying drivers/hardware capable of doing that?

tsab

Important question: Can the new, GameCube-less Wii still rip GameCube games? Are the disc drive and accompanying drivers/hardware capable of doing that?

Without having one, I presume that they would make the drive to accept only Wii sized discs to lower the manufacture cost.
This is common sense talking, Nintendo is not always following it

I noticed when I play Super Mario Galaxy 2 I have cursor pointer issues when I play for about 5-10 minutes. At first its perfect aiming but after a while it gets finicky and then there is no longer a pointer. I thought it was the batteries to my wireless sensor until I just restarted the game and everything was A okay again.

Also I also noticed music disappears after playing for a bit as well.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom