• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Oh alright, lostinblue. You win, here's a video I just took of it running. It had to be short, because I uploaded it via 3G (I don't want to spend too much bandwidth on this).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXKFxPbI8M

Enjoy. Full 60 fps, doesn't even skip a beat.

Fullscreen resolution - 2880 x 1800
Internal resolution - 2560 x 2112
No AA (unneeded because of the super high resolution - zero jaggies)
Antisotropic Filtering - 16x (I don't really know what this does, so I just cranked it.)
Vsync enabled

Runs like a charm, baby. =)

((((;゚Д゚)))))))

I need this computer!

How much was it? Was model?

EDIT: nm, found it. Holy shit expensive. >_>. Sure it's worth it totally though.

scitek

sf8e01-22sgb67.png

sf8e01-278llr6.png

King_Moc

Banned
Is it possible to rip games on Wii to a USB drive, then run it on PC? If so, which homebrew program do you use? I tried it once, and it wouldn't run on Dolphin.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
((((;゚Д゚)))))))

I need this computer!

How much was it? Was model?

EDIT: nm, found it. Holy shit expensive. >_>. Sure it's worth it totally though.
It's whatever the top model is, plus extra RAM. It was about $3k.

I normally wouldn't buy something that expensive, but I'm in the process of beating leukemia, so I just kinda got a gift for myself, lol.

It's super nice, though. I'm impressed so far.

scitek

It's whatever the top model is, plus extra RAM. It was about $3k.

I normally wouldn't buy something that expensive, but I'm in the process of beating leukemia, so I just kinda got a gift for myself, lol.

Kick its ass, dude. And enjoy that rig.

I was confused about what "Mountain Lion" was, anyway. I'm not a Mac user, so all this is new to me. The moment I get home, I'm going to install Windows. Unless it's noticeably worse than OS X, that's what I'll primarily be using, I think. At least for gaming.
I see, which brings what I was thinking this morning but forgot back into prominence. I was gonna ask you if you are a newbie to OSX and if so I'd give you two apps to better control the machine

The first is this one:

-> http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

which allows you to easily change (and force) the gpu you want to use. It's handy.

gfxcardstatus-screenshot-064b9c95e122681dfc1f9e4fff6c1dc2.png

btw, windows will be discrete/GT 650 only. It can't use the intel graphics chip because of the dynamic changing between them.

And this:

-> http://www.eidac.de/?p=207

deo1m.png

Allows you to force the fan speed you want to; comes really in handy since macs tend to be a little on the slow side to switch the vents to maximum (because it's noisy that way) but the trade-off for intensive applications is really necessary (at least it is for me with renders and stuff).

also, quick tidbit, but shift+cmd+3 takes a full screen png screenshot of your screen to the desktop, comes in handy if you want to capture some screenies.
Sad to hear about that; not the best place to do it and I know it doesn't mean much but I sincerely wish you the best luck and perseverance with that.

Stay positive.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I see, which brings what I was thinking this morning but forgot back into prominence. I was gonna ask you if you are a newbie to OSX and if so I'd give you two apps to better control the machine

The first is this one:

-> http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

which allows you to easily change (and force) the gpu you want to use. It's handy.

gfxcardstatus-screenshot-064b9c95e122681dfc1f9e4fff6c1dc2.png

btw, windows will be discrete/GT 650 only. It can't use the intel graphics chip because of the dynamic changing between them.

And this:

-> http://www.eidac.de/?p=207

deo1m.png

Allows you to force the fan speed you want to; comes really in handy since macs tend to be a little on the slow side to switch the vents to maximum (because it's noisy that way) but the trade-off for intensive applications is really necessary (at least it is for me with renders and stuff).

also, quick tidbit, but shift+cmd+3 takes a full screen png screenshot of your screen to the desktop, comes in handy if you want to capture some screenies.Sad to hear about that; not the best place to do it and I know it doesn't mean much but I sincerely wish you the best luck and perseverance with that.
Oh man, that's super helpful, all of it. Thanks! (I hope you don't mind if I PM you in the future if I have any OSX questions =P)

And yeah, I realize that Windows will have issue with things like only using the 650m, and not properly displaying the retina resolution. It'll definitely hog battery life, too. But I plan on using Windows when I can plug it in and when I'm playing games. I'd like to, otherwise, give OSX a go. My friend has been bugging me about it for years. =P

Thanks so much for your kind wishes, too.

njr

So I just got back into the emulation scene cause playing SSB64 online with a friend in another state is awesome as hell. How stable is Dolphin's netplay generally? I would love to get some melee matches in or do some coop stuff.

Oh man, that's super helpful, all of it. Thanks! (I hope you don't mind if I PM you in the future if I have any OSX questions =P)
Glad it helped. :)

Goes without saying I'll have no problem answering PM's to the best of my knowledge.
And yeah, I realize that Windows will have issue with things like only using the 650m, and not properly displaying the retina resolution. It'll definitely hog battery life, too. But I plan on using Windows when I can plug it in and when I'm playing games. I'd like to, otherwise, give OSX a go. My friend has been bugging me about it for years. =P
Windows quirks will get better with time, I'm sure; and the community is already documenting some workarounds for the time being. The real problem behind it is only the fact it's really not all that optimized. Big part of the whole battery on a mac lasting more is due to how clever the OS is and how optimized it is. As well as drivers.

I only use my mac for work and web browsing so apart from some windows applications running over a virtual machine I never had to install it; if I played games on it though I know that I'd probably have to.
Some alt angles.
I always forget how good RE4 still looks.

Dacvak

Glad it helped. :)

Goes without saying I'll have no problem answering PM's to the best of my knowledge.Windows quirks will get better with time, I'm sure; and the community is already documenting some workarounds for the time being. The real problem behind it is only the fact it's really not all that optimized. Big part of the whole battery on a mac lasting more is due to how clever the OS is and how optimized it is. As well as drivers.

I only use my mac for work and web browsing so apart from some windows applications running over a virtual machine I never had to install it; if I played games on it though I know that I'd probably have to.

So I got a chance to try out Xenoblade. It runs at a pretty solid 30fps (with the occasional skip when you do a new attack or something) at 2880x1800 with an internal resolution of only 2x. When I bumped it up to 4x, it dropped to around 23fps during gameplay. Not really playable, imo, lol.

Luckily, it seems to run fine under conditions that still make it look fantastic, which is good enough for me. =)

Also, I'm on Windows now. Dolphin definitely runs a bit better on here, and it's nice because I can actually monitor what my processor and GPU are doing. I'll tell you one thing about Windows on this retina machine, in general - text looks like SHIT.

Well, at least text that's not optimized. Luckily, everything in the OS and in browsers (Chrome, etc) looks phenomenal. Incredibly sharp, utilizing the full DPI of the screen, even though the resolution is lower. (I could run Windows just at 2880x1800, but Jesus, that makes things tiny!)

But then some applications just look like a nutsack. You can tell they're not optimized at all to display in retina. Luckily, games (or anything rendered) don't suffer from this problem - it's really only noticeable in text. And it's even fixable on a program-by-program basis, from what I've researched.

And of course the other big thing is the fact that the trackpad is just sooooo much nicer in OS X. Damn Apple for crippling their Windows trackpad drivers! I want gestures!

Overall, it makes OS X seem mighty tasty. I think I may honestly end up using Windows only for gaming.

Once in a while i'll pop here to ask a Wii on PC related question. XD

Last i heard there was some problem with a new type of WiiMote + and the interface program Glovepie. Has this been resolved? I ask because i have another curiosity:

Has anyone been able to come with a good script for using the Wiimote + as a mouse but just with Gyro aiming? If so is it good enough or close to a mouse?

lol awww man what did I do wrong?!?! ^_^;; it jus kinda happened?? I donno...

u can? do I need Steam?
re: those temps, emergency shutdown for the modern intel chips is ~100 C, so you don't want to go there. If it's a laptop chip, 90 is as high as you ever want it to get, if it's a desktop maybe 80.

Compressed air is your friend!

e: The fact that you're north of 70 when idle is a sign that something's wrong with your case/cooling/fan/something, though. You really ought to be in the 40s or 50s when idle.

So I got a chance to try out Xenoblade. It runs at a pretty solid 30fps (with the occasional skip when you do a new attack or something) at 2880x1800 with an internal resolution of only 2x. When I bumped it up to 4x, it dropped to around 23fps during gameplay. Not really playable, imo, lol.

Luckily, it seems to run fine under conditions that still make it look fantastic, which is good enough for me. =)
There's some special builds for it in windows and a 60 frame patch for the pal release, I think.
Also, I'm on Windows now. Dolphin definitely runs a bit better on here, and it's nice because I can actually monitor what my processor and GPU are doing.
Does frameskip save the day?
I'll tell you one thing about Windows on this retina machine, in general - text looks like SHIT.
Well, at least text that's not optimized. Luckily, everything in the OS and in browsers (Chrome, etc) looks phenomenal. Incredibly sharp, utilizing the full DPI of the screen, even though the resolution is lower. (I could run Windows just at 2880x1800, but Jesus, that makes things tiny!)
Did you turn DPI scaling on it? nevertheless yeah, shouldn't look that good.

Scaling 2.0 is possible (albeit custom), which is the same scaling ratio OSX is using.
And of course the other big thing is the fact that the trackpad is just sooooo much nicer in OS X. Damn Apple for crippling their Windows trackpad drivers! I want gestures!
Try this:

-> http://trackpad.powerplan7.com/

Solved the problem for a friend of mine (or at least he stopped talking about it).
Overall, it makes OS X seem mighty tasty. I think I may honestly end up using Windows only for gaming.
OSX is probably the only reason I have a mac, it's a really good OS once you get to know it's inner workings. I haven't ever seen a kernel panic (the equivalent of a blue screen of death) on it, and I have used them for quite a while now.

Dacvak

TLS
http://i.minus.com/iIoeVoaXguDc9.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibqKzmX0fin51V.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i10liWYxbFKeg.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ixKrzIKtrgk9d.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i3ULlgQQx1e8Q.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh my damn. Wii games look gooooood.

Dacvak

There's some special builds for it in windows and a 60 frame patch for the pal release, I think.
Oh yeah? That'd be pretty awesome. (I don't own the PAL version, though, and I don't really know how that legally works...)

Does frameskip save the day?
Actually I haven't had to use frameskip yet. Dolphin just runs a bit better in Windows.

Did you turn DPI scaling on it? nevertheless yeah, shouldn't look that good.

Scaling 2.0 is possible (albeit custom), which is the same scaling ratio OSX is using.
I realized there was some DPI scaling automatically turned on, which worked for some text, but not all. The thing is, the magnification of text/apps was fucking up my fullscreen gaming. I ended up just setting everything at default and using the resolution 1600x1050 (or something like that). Turns out, text is sharp (albeit a bit small), and everything works and looks great. Scaling on the retina screen actually looks fine, since the pixels are so small. You really can't even tell the screen wasn't specifically designed for the resolution I'm using.

Sweet! I'll give it a whirl.

Edit: Hot damn, that's fantastic!

OSX is probably the only reason I have a mac, it's a really good OS once you get to know it's inner workings. I haven't ever seen a kernel panic (the equivalent of a blue screen of death) on it, and I have used them for quite a while now.
I've never been into OS X... I'm a big fan of both Windows and Ubuntu. But I realize that millions of people use OS X, and they can't all be wrong. So I'm gonna give it an honest shot. When there's something that won't run on OS X, I can just reboot into Windows, so it's not that big of a deal.

Either way, OS X is treating me well, so far, and I'm starting to become more advanced. I kinda wish I hadn't made my Windows partition so much larger, but it doesn't really matter, since I've enabled NTSC writing, and have tons of portable external space.

Dmax3901

Can you post the build and settings you are using? I have this running mostly at full speed with a few framedrops here and there. Also is the terrible texture pop in during cutscenes just a thing?

I would also like your build and settings, I've tried several different ones and every time I seem to be in the clear, I crash/freeze up again :(.

Stuck just before the Snow Tiger thing at the start.

JEKKI

e: The fact that you're north of 70 when idle is a sign that something's wrong with your case/cooling/fan/something, though. You really ought to be in the 40s or 50s when idle.
awww craaaaaap.

I went to micro center today! I bought air n thermal paste.

I was gonna post in here that I'm all proud that I dropped the temp but,

V5jBC.jpg

I guess it's not enough?? 60 is still high??

it's real hard to get all the dust out of the heatsink, should I jus go buy a new one? or is there a way to further diagnise the problem elsewhere??

and lol I took the pic before reading the instruction on how to make screenshot =P

btw I jus turned my computer on, have not tried dolphin again yet.

-EDIT-

jus ran sum dolphin, temps still goin up to like 95...

what am I suppose to do? Should I take my computer to a repair shop? do I need to add more paste?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Your idle should be 30-37C.
Load 70C.

Get some compressed air, clean out your heatsink.

I still bet it's a mounting problem. Read the manuals. If it didn't take force to get it on, it's not mounted right.

wiggleb0t

Banned
awww craaaaaap.

I went to micro center today! I bought air n thermal paste.

I was gonna post in here that I'm all proud that I dropped the temp but,

I guess it's not enough?? 60 is still high??

it's real hard to get all the dust out of the heatsink, should I jus go buy a new one? or is there a way to further diagnise the problem elsewhere??

and lol I took the pic before reading the instruction on how to make screenshot =P

btw I jus turned my computer on, have not tried dolphin again yet.

-EDIT-

jus ran sum dolphin, temps still goin up to like 95...

what am I suppose to do? Should I take my computer to a repair shop? do I need to add more paste?

There is something definitely wrong. I'm running only a mild overclock as I'm replacing the 2 fans on a Noctua NHu12p se2 so only the heatsink on at the moment and no fans and maxing out it's only hitting the below temps:
tempsacjg7.jpg

That's with passive cooling, as one fan died and I'm replacing them both.

Normally run it at 3.8-4.0ghz and never exceeds 84*celcius (max threshold temp iirc) under full load using Prime95 or just running a video converter utilizing 99.7% cpu load.

Few suggestions:
*With the heatsink detached clean it with a paintbrush or whatever to get rid of the dust.
*Then go over it with compressed air (always let compressed air evaporate and never use it on a powered on device, same with paint brush as static can cause problems)
*Reseat heatsink, make sure not to use too much thermal paste, also be sure that all previous thermal paste is absent(check youtube if you don't know or aren't quite sure, there will be plenty of tutorials)
*Which ever heatsink you're using be sure you're not applying too much force tightening it. 'Thumb strength' is more than adequate for any pc screw.
*Check temps in BIOS to see if they are roughly reflecting the temps seen in other temp software.

It's possible that; the sensor on the cpu is broken, the cpu is defective and thus it's temperatures are through the roof or improper contact is being made with the heatsink. Those seem to be the only 3 possibilities that come to mind.
Best of luck with it.

JEKKI

lol. I'm so sorry I think I derailed this thread into a PC troubleshooting thread... dont worry I really do wanna play Xenoblade!! =P

Re-seat the CPU cooler before you try anything else.

Your idle should be 30-37C.
Load 70C.

Get some compressed air, clean out your heatsink.

I still bet it's a mounting problem. Read the manuals. If it didn't take force to get it on, it's not mounted right.

Few suggestions:
*With the heatsink detached clean it with a paintbrush or whatever to get rid of the dust.
*Then go over it with compressed air (always let compressed air evaporate and never use it on a powered on device, same with paint brush as static can cause problems)
*Reseat heatsink, make sure not to use too much thermal paste, also be sure that all previous thermal paste is absent(check youtube if you don't know or aren't quite sure, there will be plenty of tutorials)
*Which ever heatsink you're using be sure you're not applying too much force tightening it. 'Thumb strength' is more than adequate for any pc screw.
*Check temps in BIOS to see if they are roughly reflecting the temps seen in other temp software.
the problem with this advice is this is exactly what I did yesterday!

I opened my unit, dusted the crap out of it, removed the heatsink, dusted that, cleaned off all the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol, applied new paste, put it all back together, and my temps dropped but still not to a good level...

I asked my friend who helped build my PC and he said:

could be a lot of things, maybe your video card is pushing more heat than the case can push out. maybe your cpu cooler sucks and you need a third-party one. maybe your case doesn't have good airflow.

i'd try buying a third-party cpu heatsink first.[/img]so Im thinking of getting a new heatsink since the one I use is the stock one that came with the i5.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 <--- this one is real affordable and has a stellar rating so I will prolly pick it up on thrusday after work!!

but between now and then maybe I'll think of another solution that'll save me $30?? we'll see.

FYI my setup looks like this btw:

rDSHo.jpg

there's another fan & vent at the top and both fans are on High setting.

the door that I removed to take the pic also has a vent on it for more air to flow.

I love that JEKKI is posting screenshots from his/her phone camera rather than through Windows.
lol if u got an iphone I really like the app "picup"

it let's you upload photos from your phone onto imgur!!! way easier than print screen!!

JEKKI is one of my favourite gaf posters. You just can't fake that kind of enthusiasm!
lol thanks! I have to be enthusiastic just because! lol

Ceebs

That heatsink looks damaged (bent fins) and still sorta dusty.

You also could do with some zipties and dealing with the rats nest of cables coming from the PSU. Anything not connected pull to the side, tie off and bundle them so they lay flat at the bottom of the case.

I would get a new CPU Fan+Heatsink. 30 bucks should solve the issues there.

omonimo

Banned
Resident evil: rebirth in the forest session or when there are more than 2 enemies in the screen run terrible in my AMD quadcore...anyone know the reason? I'm playing with the last update. Wonderful game but this situation is so annoying...

Top Bottom