• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

I can't get this Wiimote to connect for the life of me. I have it added to my Devices in Windows, but Dolphin won't sync up with it.

OpPEy.png

Do I need to have BlueSoleil?

Ok, so now I can get it to pair up in Dolphin (No idea how or why, haven't been doing anything differently), but Dolphin won't register any button presses from the controller.

You need to use the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack

Just now installed that. I have it connected and Dolphin has it registered as controller 1; it vibrates and everything when I hit refresh. No game has yet to register button inputs from it, though.

LprOj.png

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I've tested out an emulated wiimote just to make sure my games are working properly, and it will register that just fine. Is there a way to test the inputs from my controller?

Turns out my problem was my wiimote. Had a 3rd party Memorex Wii+ remote. Got the Standard Wiimote working perfectly (cursor is pretty laggy, is that normal?)

If anyone has any solutions to getting 3rd party remotes working that would be super. I can get it to pair up perfectly, but Dolphin won't register any of the inputs in-game.

Piecake

I have a problem with switchable graphics. right now, dolphin is only recognizing my crappy Intel graphics family one, and I want it to use the Radeon for obvious reasons.

I have high performance selected for Dolphin in the control center. Not really sure what else to do

Persona7

Banned
I have a problem with switchable graphics. right now, dolphin is only recognizing my crappy Intel graphics family one, and I want it to use the Radeon for obvious reasons.

I have high performance selected for Dolphin in the control center. Not really sure what else to do

Disable the Intel GPU in your BIOS settings.

Piecake

Disable the Intel GPU in your BIOS settings.

I checked, and that doesnt seem to be an option for me since its integrated and Lenovo apparently doesnt have that sort of setting in the BIOS

Ah, NVM. Fixed my own problem. Apparently I just needed to switch it to the manual/power settings option instead of letting my computer decide which one to use. So, basically now my good card is always on, which is fine with me

Tess3ract

Banned
I checked, and that doesnt seem to be an option for me since its integrated and Lenovo apparently doesnt have that sort of setting in the BIOS

Ah, NVM. Fixed my own problem. Apparently I just needed to switch it to the manual/power settings option instead of letting my computer decide which one to use. So, basically now my good card is always on, which is fine with me
Your lenovo will say something about Nvidia Optimus or whatever it's called if it has an Nvidia card (it switches between the thing on the cpu and the graphics card)

If you have something along those lines, just turn it off

Pro

Turns out my problem was my wiimote. Had a 3rd party Memorex Wii+ remote. Got the Standard Wiimote working perfectly (cursor is pretty laggy, is that normal?)

If anyone has any solutions to getting 3rd party remotes working that would be super. I can get it to pair up perfectly, but Dolphin won't register any of the inputs in-game.

I believe I had a similar issue a few months ago. If I remember correctly, this has to do with you connecting a newer version of the Wii Motion + Controller as designated by the RVL-CNT-01 device name. The older models of the Wii Motion + connect as RVL-CNT without the -01 in the device name. I came to the conclusion that the newer model -01 Motion + Controllers were not compatible with the current Dolphin releases so the only way to get around it for me was to play with an older version of the Wii Motion Plus Controller. Problem is you can't tell what model you are going to get while purchasing it at the store. Lucky for me my roommate had an older version and I traded him my newer version since he doesn't use Dolphin. I could be wrong, but this is what I came up with.

Finally upgrading from a Q6600, doing a new build on Friday with a i5 3570k. Can't frigging wait to be able to get my Dolphin on at decent speeds. Sexy HD Xenoblade, I've been waiting for you.

Dmax3901

So I sorted out the low FPS in The Last Story (changed to a different Dolphin build), but now I'm wondering if there's some way to disable the DOF/Distance blur filter going on.

I just got out of the Reptid cave to a bridge crossing a ravine and it looks like a nice vista, except for the fact that everything 5 metres away is blurred out :/

Ceebs

So I sorted out the low FPS in The Last Story (changed to a different Dolphin build), but now I'm wondering if there's some way to disable the DOF/Distance blur filter going on.

I just got out of the Reptid cave to a bridge crossing a ravine and it looks like a nice vista, except for the fact that everything 5 metres away is blurred out :/

I was having a problem with all the faces looking like they were on Cops for a few seconds during every cutscene.

Which build are you using for it btw?

Dmax3901

I was having a problem with all the faces looking like they were on Cops for a few seconds during every cutscene.

Which build are you using for it btw?

It's a hacked one I'm using for Xenoblade, don't have time to get details right now, I'll check it later and edit this post if you still need it.

JEKKI

is there a way to setup my PC gamepad to play Xenoblade with??

I have tried searching google but cannot seem to find a solution...

I was able to map my pad to the gamecube buttons

but when I try playing the game, the DPAD and the buttons only work, and when I select "New Game" I get this message:

sm9Dd.jpg

I have a mote and classic controlller, but Id rather not go thru the hassle of busting out the bluetooth and wireless bar every time -_-

Ceebs

is there a way to setup my PC gamepad to play Xenoblade with??

I have tried searching google but cannot seem to find a solution...

I was able to map my pad to the gamecube buttons

but when I try playing the game, the DPAD and the buttons only work, and when I select "New Game" I get this message:

sm9Dd.jpg

I have a mote and classic controlller, but Id rather not go thru the hassle of busting out the bluetooth and wireless bar every time -_-

Are you mapping the buttons via the Classic Controller configuration?

untitled9hky6.png

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh man, my macbook pro (that retina one) came in today, and it just CRUSHES Dolphin. At least so far. I only have one game ripped (Melee), but it runs it at full speed at 2880 x 1800 with all the bells and whistles. It looks absolutely ridiculous, and it runs smoother than the on a GameCube, lol.

I can't wait to rip some of my Wii games and see how they'll do. I'm sure they'll run at full speed at least at a lower resolution. But it'd certainly be nice if they ran at 2880 x 1800!

JEKKI

Are you mapping the buttons via the Classic Controller configuration?

http://www.abload.de/img/untitled9hky6.png[IMG][/QUOTE]o sweet thanks!!!

good news! I got it to work!!!

bad news, for a while it's not smooth then my computer crashes n shuts off...

it does the same when I try to play Dustforce... do computers degrade? It used to be able to play games, I wonder if I needa replace something O_o ??

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, how do you get the most out of this emulator? Are there settings that you can tweak to get the best performance possible for certain games? I'm excited at tinkering with this.

bhlaab

Just now installed that. I have it connected and Dolphin has it registered as controller 1; it vibrates and everything when I hit refresh. No game has yet to register button inputs from it, though.

LprOj.png

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I've tested out an emulated wiimote just to make sure my games are working properly, and it will register that just fine. Is there a way to test the inputs from my controller?

Dolphin will not recognize the wiimote through the "Pair up" button with the toshiba stack. However, it is also tricky to hook your wiimote up to the stack itself.

For me the only thing that works is using the SYNC button on the back of the remote during the connection process (press sync, then search for devices while the blue LEDs are flashing) 1+2 buttons don't work, at least for me.

Now, on top of that you might have issues getting the toshiba stack to recognize your bluetooth dongle. There's a way to fix that.

Here's the guide I followed.

1-Install your dongle with any original drivers

2-Reboot

[3 MOVED TO LATER by bhlaab]

4-Go to control panel, device manager

5-In bluetooth section, get your bluetooth dongle's hardware (right-click, select properties)

6- go to the details tab

7-select Hardware ID. It should list something like
USB\VID_0A5C&PID_2148&REV_0818
USB\VID_0A5C&PID_2148

8-The second line is what you want. Right click on it and Copy that down in notepad.

3-Download the toshiba stack ( http://www.sitecom.com/download/4791/toshiba_8.htm ) There is a 30 day trial, unfortunately.

9-Now extract the zip you downloaded (toshiba stack) and run setup.

10-Wait until you get the message to PLUG IN your bluetooth device

11- DO NOT click on the message, Do NOT close the installer, just leave it where it is.

12- open windows explorer, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\Drivers\tosrfusb\

13- Copy tosfrusb.inf (or the one described as "system information") into a different folder. (you can't edit it directly where it is.) (I copied mine to the desktop)

14- open the copied one in notepad

15- You'll see a list that start with "%TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc1%=TosrfUsb_Device" and another following with the same info

16- The "#%" number increases depending on how many are on the list (somewhere around 140 to 200) You have to add device IDs next to them.

17-Add your device Id to the bottom of each list (2 lists), like so:
%TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc150%=TosrfUsb_Device, USB\VID_0A5C&PID_2148
Obviously replace the bold parts with the next sequential number and the info you copied down back in step 7

18-At the very bottom of the file is a list for the device description. Name it whatever you want, though preferrably the actual name of the device. Example:
TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc150 = "O'Doyle Rules!" or whatever

19-Save changes, then copy the modified tosfrusb.inf back into the original folder.

20- Click OK into message to PLUG IN your bluetooth device

21- Restart when prompted

22- Lauch Toshiba bluetooth assistant by the windows menu (it will not appear in notification icon)

23- try to sync with 1+2 button or red button under wiimote.. For me it has to be the sync button or the wiimote will drop connection after a couple seconds.

JEKKI

OK I played some other games on my computer (Starcraft & Deus Ex) and they work just fine.

but this frickn Dolphin makes my computer shutdown!!

I cant find the link, but I think I read that the emulator is very stressful on the computer power supply?

I think I have a 550W, if I keep crashing should I go out and buy a 750W?

what power supply does everybody use? thanks!

-EDIT-

found it!!! this link: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=21723

says "Sounds like a power supply issue. Dolphin stresses both the cpu and gpu pretty hard which maximizes power consumption even more than a stress testing application. What kind of power supply do you have?"

I dont kno what CPU and GPU is lol

Ceebs

OK I played some other games on my computer (Starcraft & Deus Ex) and they work just fine.

I cant find the link, but I think I read that the emulator is very stressful on the computer power supply?

-EDIT-

found it!!! this link: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=21723

says "Sounds like a power supply issue. Dolphin stresses both the cpu and gpu pretty hard which maximizes power consumption even more than a stress testing application. What kind of power supply do you have?"

CPU is your processor and GPU is your Video card. If your computer is shutting down during a game my first guess would be a temperature issue. Start with the CPU, download a temperature monitoring program such as Realtemp and run it when you start up Dolphin. Let the game run for maybe 5 minutes or so and see what sort of readings Realtemp is giving you. Something like MSI Windforce will give you GPU temperatures as well.

You are wanting to get readings while the game is running so your components are being stressed. Alternatively you can go grab some of the usual benchmarking tools like Prime95 and one of the GPU benchmarks to make sure everything is getting stressed to the max so you can eliminate high temperatures as your problem.

So, how do you get the most out of this emulator? Are there settings that you can tweak to get the best performance possible for certain games? I'm excited at tinkering with this.

There are thousands of builds at this point with some being hacked together to get a particular game running as well as possible. Play with the standard up to date build and if you can't get a stable framerate hunt down one of the builds that the game in question for sure runs as well as possible on.

Dacvak

There are thousands of builds at this point with some being hacked together to get a particular game running as well as possible. Play with the standard up to date build and if you can't get a stable framerate hunt down one of the builds that the game in question for sure runs as well as possible on.
Sounds good. I ended up trying out Super Mario Galaxy 2 after all, and it didn't run as well as I hoped. Seems like GameCube games are fine at full speed, but Galaxy 2 ran at about 30-45 FPS, which isn't really playable. I tried to turn on frame skip, but apparently that doesn't work on macs.

I don't know how "turbo boost" works with my processor, or if it's being enabled when the emulator is running. I feel like if it is, I should be getting full speed out of Wii games. My specs are:

i7 2.6ghz (3.6ghz turbo boost)
16gb 1600mhz DDR 3 ram
GeForce 650m

I don't know, what do you think? On Friday, when I go back home, I'll be able to install Windows and see if it runs any better on that. I don't even need an enhanced resolution for Wii games, I'd just like to play them on the go.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

-EDIT-

550W is more than enough if it is a good brand. Being a 550W model it probably is from an ok maker. Open the side of your case and read the brand and model number.

Check your temps using Speccy, RealTemp, and GPU-Z when you play games.

Ledsen

Is there a git revision/branch this was compiled on, or is it super secret?

A compiled binary is nice, but I'm in Linux land over here and would like to achieve the same results...

You'll have to ask the guy who made it. Someone said he's on Something Awful.

Oh man, my macbook pro (that retina one) came in today, and it just CRUSHES Dolphin. At least so far. I only have one game ripped (Melee), but it runs it at full speed at 2880 x 1800 with all the bells and whistles. It looks absolutely ridiculous, and it runs smoother than the on a GameCube, lol.

I can't wait to rip some of my Wii games and see how they'll do. I'm sure they'll run at full speed at least at a lower resolution. But it'd certainly be nice if they ran at 2880 x 1800!
I'm so jealous.

I want offscreen pictures. :)

On a sidenote; I doubt it's more fluid than GC's Melee (who ran at 60 fps) even if it wanted to seeing it has framerate issues with web browsers; no way a intensive emulator such as Dolphin is less intensive than facebook.

Might be running internally at a good framerate, but gotta have the notion this is so state of art it's pushing the boundaries of what the hardware was designed to (actually surpasses them) so it's having a hard time (or unusual load) just for showing image at that res.

I mean the scaler for lower resolutions into fullscreen doesn't support 2880x1800 they had to write their own solution.

Also (or alternatively), are you sure it's not running 3D in 1440x900? or similar, lower res? because a lot of games are showing that they need to be updated to support such resolutions; because if the ratio is the same as 1440x900 but in 2.0 scale (4 times the res) the software might still detect or run as if it's bound to 1440x900.

Sorry for the rant, I'm really curious though.

EDIT: If you're having framerate issues try 1440x900 modes providing it's running higher than that.

EDIT2: 30-45 frames is not bad, would be very playable with frameskip. never knew that wasn't implemented on macOS version though.

Dacvak

I'm so jealous.

I want offscreen pictures. :)

On a sidenote; I doubt it's more fluid than GC's Melee (who ran at 60 fps) even if it wanted to seeing it has framerate issues with web browsers; no way a intensive emulator such as Dolphin is less intensive than facebook.

Might be running internally at a good framerate, but gotta have the notion this is so state of art it's pushing the boundaries of what the hardware was designed to (actually surpasses them) so it's having a hard time (or unusual load) just for showing image at that res.

I mean the scaler for lower resolutions into fullscreen doesn't support 2880x1800 they had to write their own solution.

Also (or alternatively), are you sure it's not running 3D in 1440x900? or similar, lower res? because a lot of games are showing that they need to be updated to support such resolutions; because if the ratio is the same as 1440x900 but in 2.0 scale (4 times the res) the software might still detect or run as if it's bound to 1440x900.

Sorry for the rant, I'm really curious though.

EDIT: If you're having framerate issues try 1440x900 modes providing it's running higher than that.

EDIT2: 30-45 frames is not bad, would be very playable with frameskip. never knew that wasn't implemented on macOS version though.
It's too much of a hassle to take a video at the moment since I have such a terrible Internet connection at the hotel. I'll just give you the raw details.

Super Smash Bros Melee
Full screen mode, resolution at 2880x1800. Internal resolution at 4x, 2560x2112. No AA (you don't need it - can't see aliasing at this resolution!) FPS counter display enabled.

It runs at an absolutely solid 60 FPS at all times. Never dips below. I've tried tests on all sorts of stages, and it's always perfect.

I didn't read through that article, but I can tell you scrolling through safari, or whatever, is just fine. Plus, when the computer isn't running graphically-intensive programs, it's only using the HD 4000, instead of the GeForce 650. Perhaps that could explain the difference.

I also ran a slew of Wii games today at various resolutions, and everything performed at 60fps in one way or another, with the exception of Galaxy 2, which I couldn't get stable.

Also, keep in mind that Dolphin runs much better in Windows (less buggy, frameskip is possible, more efficient), and I've yet to try that since I haven't installed Windows yet. But I expect everything to run even better when I get to that.

But I'd be happy to send you a video at some point. It really runs incredibly well, and GameCube games seem to run at full speed at 2880x1800 with an internal res of 2560x2112. It's pretty badass.

Edit: I just read through your post once again, and you really seem bent on the idea that it technically can't run Melee at 60 FPS at that res. Not only am I positive because of the emulator's frame counter, but, take this for what it's worth - I've spent over 4,000 hours with Melee (use to be competitive), and I'm definitely familiar with how it should look, feel, and run.

Dacvak

Oh alright, lostinblue. You win, here's a video I just took of it running. It had to be short, because I uploaded it via 3G (I don't want to spend too much bandwidth on this).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXKFxPbI8M

Enjoy. Full 60 fps, doesn't even skip a beat.

Fullscreen resolution - 2880 x 1800
Internal resolution - 2560 x 2112
No AA (unneeded because of the super high resolution - zero jaggies)
Antisotropic Filtering - 16x (I don't really know what this does, so I just cranked it.)
Vsync enabled

Runs like a charm, baby. =)

JEKKI

CPU is your processor and GPU is your Video card. If your computer is shutting down during a game my first guess would be a temperature issue. Start with the CPU, download a temperature monitoring program such as Realtemp and run it when you start up Dolphin. Let the game run for maybe 5 minutes or so and see what sort of readings Realtemp is giving you. Something like MSI Windforce will give you GPU temperatures as well.

You are wanting to get readings while the game is running so your components are being stressed. Alternatively you can go grab some of the usual benchmarking tools like Prime95 and one of the GPU benchmarks to make sure everything is getting stressed to the max so you can eliminate high temperatures as your problem.

550W is more than enough if it is a good brand. Being a 550W model it probably is from an ok maker. Open the side of your case and read the brand and model number.

Check your temps using Speccy, RealTemp, and GPU-Z when you play games.
cool thanks OK I ran RealTemp.

this is my regular computer while doing regular internet stuff:

JeE99.jpg

when I run my games (Deus Ex or Starcraft) it jumps to this:

lAa0P.jpg

when I run my problem games (Dustforce & Dolphin) then this:

WJgcq.jpg

this is bad right?? I shut down both programs before my computer crashed, should I jus let it crash and let memory record the values at the moment of?

and if we've diagnosed the cause of the problem to be heat, then what to do now?

Dwayne

Your computer is hot to start with and then overheats. First look at where your computer is placed, if it's in a confined space there won't be proper airflow and this will contribute to your problem. Check all the system fans are running and not full of dust (use compressed air if they are, to blow the dust out). If that doesn't help you should look into getting more fans and better heatsink/fans for the the CPU and GPU.

JEKKI

Your computer is hot to start with and then overheats. First look at where your computer is placed, if it's in a confined space there won't be proper airflow and this will contribute to your problem. Check all the system fans are running and not full of dust (use compressed air if they are, to blow the dust out). If that doesn't help you should look into getting more fans and better heatsink/fans for the the CPU and GPU.

Those temps are wayyyy to high. I would try reapplying thermal paste before getting better CPU cooling. Or maybe move your pc to a cooler spot.
ahhh lol. ok then what's a good temp to be in??

is using this "thermal paste" stuff considered standard routine maintenance for computers in general??

regardless I definitely got my work ahead of me!! I'm busy this weekend but come monday I'll go to the computer store to pick up paste and a dust can lol.

Ceebs

Those temps are wayyyy to high. I would try reapplying thermal paste before getting better CPU cooling. Or maybe move your pc to a cooler spot.

Those temps are the reason your PC is shutting down, no question about it.

Yeah, you need to take the heatsink off the CPU, clean off the dust from the heatsink (it likes to collect where the fan sits), and reapply it.

Go get some high percentage (75% or up (90% or higher if they have it)) rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) and a lint free cloth + some thermal paste.

use the alcohol on the lint free cloth to clean away any thermal paste left on the CPU and the heatsink where it makes contact with the CPU.

apply a dot of the thermal paste to the CPU in the center (A bit larger than say a pea) and place the heatsink back onto it. (this lets the paste spread evenly to cover the surface of the heatsink)

It's a super simple process so don't let it scare you.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Clean your case for dust. Intakes, exhaust, CPU heatsink. PSU.

Detach the CPU cooler. Clean off old paste. Apply new thermal paste (5mm ball). Seat the cooler CORRECTLY (On a stock Intel heatsink do not turn the tabs when installing).

Dacvak

Lol holy nuts, I've never seen temperatures that high. That's like 200 degrees F, good lord.

My old PC used to hit in the 70s when I'd overclock the balls out of it, and I thought that was dangerous. 99c? Damn.

Ledsen

ahhh lol. ok then what's a good temp to be in??

is using this "thermal paste" stuff considered standard routine maintenance for computers in general??

regardless I definitely got my work ahead of me!! I'm busy this weekend but come monday I'll go to the computer store to pick up paste and a dust can lol.

Those are insane temps. You should be hiting around 70-80 during hard gaming... But you're there simply surfing the web! I've never seen temps that high. Your chips are in danger for sure unless you get temps down by A LOT. In fact you shouldn't be using it at all until you've changed the termal paste, and preferably bought new fans. Also: open the case while the comp is on and check that all the fans are actually spinning.
Who put the computer together?

Rockman

I'm getting some good results as well with my rMBP. What build of dolphin are you using? Some games like Mario Galaxy 2 seem to have graphical glitches. I tried the same game on Windows via bootcamp and the game plays fine there.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
cool thanks OK I ran RealTemp.

this is my regular computer while doing regular internet stuff:

http://i.imgur.com/JeE99.jpg

when I run my games (Deus Ex or Starcraft) it jumps to this:

http://i.imgur.com/lAa0P.jpg

when I run my problem games (Dustforce & Dolphin) then this:

http://i.imgur.com/WJgcq.jpg

this is bad right?? I shut down both programs before my computer crashed, should I jus let it crash and let memory record the values at the moment of?

and if we've diagnosed the cause of the problem to be heat, then what to do now?
How come you took pictures of your computer? You know you can take screenshots, right?

Super Smash Bros Melee
Full screen mode, resolution at 2880x1800. Internal resolution at 4x, 2560x2112. No AA (you don't need it - can't see aliasing at this resolution!) FPS counter display enabled.
Indeed you don't. :)

It runs at an absolutely solid 60 FPS at all times. Never dips below. I've tried tests on all sorts of stages, and it's always perfect.
Nice to know. :)
I didn't read through that article, but I can tell you scrolling through safari, or whatever, is just fine. Plus, when the computer isn't running graphically-intensive programs, it's only using the HD 4000, instead of the GeForce 650. Perhaps that could explain the difference.
Scrolling is fine, yeah; they only discovered it when taking those tests that the framerate dropped from previous generations. Anyway you could be right, and that's why I'm so curious about it; I'm trying to understand it's inner workings.

I know the whole 2880x1800 resolution surpasses even GTX650 capabilities for scaling though so the scaling routines it's using are custom (and take gpu resources) on the nvidia as well.
I also ran a slew of Wii games today at various resolutions, and everything performed at 60fps in one way or another, with the exception of Galaxy 2, which I couldn't get stable.
Xenoblade? :3
Also, keep in mind that Dolphin runs much better in Windows (less buggy, frameskip is possible, more efficient), and I've yet to try that since I haven't installed Windows yet. But I expect everything to run even better when I get to that.
From personal experience, windows doesn't run that well. I mean it does run perfectly fine, but when idling it heats a lot more than my macbook ever did in MacOS and the battery goes out way faster. It's certainly not as optimized and pleasing on a mac as MacOS X (or elsewhere, I'd insist).

Should still give you a better performance for this though, but it's not really pleasing to use (at least for me); temps will be higher from the get go, at least they are on my late 2008 15" macbook pro.
Edit: I just read through your post once again, and you really seem bent on the idea that it technically can't run Melee at 60 FPS at that res. Not only am I positive because of the emulator's frame counter, but, take this for what it's worth - I've spent over 4,000 hours with Melee (use to be competitive), and I'm definitely familiar with how it should look, feel, and run.
I'm very curious about it, I'm not hypothesizing it's running at 20/30 frames and that you can't see the difference, obviously not, I'm wondering if "if" the scaling has a hit and it was pulling smaller than optimal framerate if it couldn't be running at 60 frames internally but be capped on the way out. If it was because it was running on integrated graphics at the time I don't know. Sadly I don't know what the hell is that framerate measuring app they were using in those tests. Not so sure about it though. Sadly that article focuses on OS performance. (and they're working on it for Mountain Lion, don't worry)

Forgive my feverish excitement.
Oh alright, lostinblue. You win, here's a video I just took of it running. It had to be short, because I uploaded it via 3G (I don't want to spend too much bandwidth on this).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXKFxPbI8M

Enjoy. Full 60 fps, doesn't even skip a beat.

Fullscreen resolution - 2880 x 1800
Internal resolution - 2560 x 2112
No AA (unneeded because of the super high resolution - zero jaggies)
Antisotropic Filtering - 16x (I don't really know what this does, so I just cranked it.)
Vsync enabled

Runs like a charm, baby. =)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Looks really really good.

Anisotropic Filtering is filtering for textures applied to surfaces that are not facing you (basically faces that are paralel/oblique/linked to a vanishing point (think mode 7, if it helps); it's a really nice thing to have cracked up high, but it's intensive, if you get bad performance in a game tone it down.

Dacvak

Xenoblade? :3
I still need to properly rip my copy of Xenoblade, which I won't be able to do until I get home tonight.

I'm very curious about it, I'm not hypothesizing it's running at 20/30 frames and that you can't see the difference, obviously not, I'm wondering if "if" the scaling has a hit and it was pulling smaller than optimal framerate if it couldn't be running at 60 frames internally but be capped on the way out. If it was because it was running on integrated graphics at the time I don't know. Sadly I don't know what the hell is that framerate measuring app they were using in those tests. Not so sure about it though. Sadly that article focuses on OS performance. (and they're working on it for Mountain Lion, don't worry)
I was confused about what "Mountain Lion" was, anyway. I'm not a Mac user, so all this is new to me. The moment I get home, I'm going to install Windows. Unless it's noticeably worse than OS X, that's what I'll primarily be using, I think. At least for gaming.

Anisotropic Filtering is filtering for textures applied to surfaces that are not facing you (basically faces that are paralel/oblique/linked to a vanishing point (think mode 7, if it helps); it's a really nice thing to have cracked up high, but it's intensive, if you get bad performance in a game tone it down.

Good to know, thanks. :)

It's worth noting that I am having issue connecting Wiimotes to the Mac using Dolphin. I can pretty consistently get one original Wiimote to connect, but couldn't get a modern Wiimote+ to connect. Often times both/either would stall the software when connecting, as well.

I'm hoping that the internal Bluetooth chip works alright in Windows mode, since it'd be rather irritating to have to use a USB dongle.

On the flip side, I've gotten my wireless 360 and PS3 controllers hooked up very easily. It was surprising.

Marche90

At the very least those temps aren't with a laptop. The last two I were using before changing laptops for a third time this year reached easily 90 °C when using anything CPU-intensive. The worst part is, the first one was a 3 year old laptop without a true graphics card (Intel X4500) and the second one an ancient AMD with an nvidia 7000 GPU, hardly powerhouses.
Although... I am to blame for the first one. That PS2 emulator was too much for it (Finished P3 once and P4 twice on it)

Maybe I should just give up and buy a new one (the first one was bought new but the second laptop and my current laptop are used, but at the very least my current one was free) My wallet's going to weeeeep!.

Top Bottom