• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

Hrm, I just downloaded this and I'm a bit confused as to how to configure a 360 controller to work as an emulated wiimote. I'm trying Xenoblade to see how it will play.

Hit the Wiimote button on the toolbar
Next to Wiimote 1 select Emulated Wiimote and hit Configure
Under Device select XInput/0/Gamepad, may have to hit Refresh for it to show
Under Extension select Classic and hit Configure
Map the buttons as if they were a classic controller, hit OK when done
http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/d/d1/Virtualconsolecontroller.jpg

Back in the Wiimote Config window, you can type a name under profile and then hit save to save it. Not required but it helps.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hit the Wiimote button on the toolbar
Next to Wiimote 1 select Emulated Wiimote and hit Configure
Under Device select XInput/0/Gamepad, may have to hit Refresh for it to show
Under Extension select Classic and hit Configure
Map the buttons as if they were a classic controller, hit OK when done
http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/d/d1/Virtualconsolecontroller.jpg

Back in the Wiimote Config window, you can type a name under profile and then hit save to save it. Not required but it helps.

Cheers!

Man this thing is amazing. I could barely play Metroid prime on my Gamecube, due to the fact that the graphics were pretty muddy, and I absolutely hate the Gamecube controller. Playing Metroid Prime on Dolphin with super clean graphics, and the Dualshock 3 controller seems almost like a crime. I'm loving this game again. Seriously, Prime looks better than some of the stuff this gen. The game itself is amazing.

Really? never played these games. Will I like these metroid games? the first one is over 10 years old? surely that game cant hold up?

Halo came out the same time and that game thanks to atmosphere, the outdoor levels, the interesting mythos and universe all.. made me forget about ever playing metroid.

But as I saw Prometheus recently, it somehow reminded me of an metroid prime commercial i vaguely remember seeing, and I wondered - would prime be worth playing TODAY? I shrugged it off thinking that a graphical stellar game like that, which was a technical marvel a decade ago could not invoke the same powers it once could. watching a hitchcock classic today is still creepy, (can be) but gone are the days when people where afraid to be near birds at the park or take a shower.

Foffy

Banned
Hey guys, maybe you can help me. I'm trying to play the Galaxy games, and it seems I can't get a means of getting a solid framerate. Are there any particular settings that give it a smooth boost? My CPU's a AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz and my GPU's an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580. I've read on the Dolphin wiki pages of people with weaker stats than mine being able to run the game well...I can run Xenoblade just fine, and I'd figure that would be the more demanding game, given the open world and all.

I apologise for my ignorance, I'm fairly new to this. How does Xenoblade run at 1080p? Are there any major sound issues/glitches/bugs/problems that arise whilst playing like there are in games such as Wind Waker? (Such as the issue recently mentioned of disabling sound to get past a certain part of the game without it crashing) Or is it judged on an individual basis depending on your setup?

I ask because I've seen screenshots from Dolphin and it just looks beautiful. I have my 25 hour game save on my Wii on hold since I'd be more than happy to finally pull the trigger on a gaming PC and start from scratch on Dolphin. Places like Eryth Sea and Satorl Marsh are just asking to be begging to be experienced in HD.

Thanks in advance!

StevieP

Banned
I apologise for my ignorance, I'm fairly new to this. How does Xenoblade run at 1080p? Are there any major sound issues/glitches/bugs/problems that arise whilst playing like there are in games such as Wind Waker?

There are occasional sound glitches when playing in HLE (at least for me) during the cutscenes but during gameplay it's all gravy. You also need to patch the game to play at 30fps if it is the PAL version (and on my stock 2500k it maintains mostly 25-30fps, with the occasional slow down in massive battles - if I OC the 2500k, it's smooth).

There is a special build of Dolphin posted some pages back that will run the game even better than that, apparently.

Really? never played these games. Will I like these metroid games? the first one is over 10 years old? surely that game cant hold up?

Halo came out the same time and that game thanks to atmosphere, the outdoor levels, the interesting mythos and universe all.. made me forget about ever playing metroid.

Metroid > Halo. In art, convincing game world, and execution.

Dmax3901

Those Project Zero screens look amazing, is it out on Wii already?

Some of my WW screens, thanks for the textures BlackBeetle, gonna use them now :D.

07258a28042382cae855ff2bcfc2efeca534d545.jpg

8f000091c636bc2831796c436368e6a3a0c090f8.jpg

9ace35fbf4405f47f7277b53e343d27a59b267dc.jpg

ab29047a7086b710b2febbca567eb2ba9a6123a1.jpg

e72fb33132510220fbbd943efa977b75851933c9.jpg

718addb56ddd7b32da03e686667b0d3ce1418278.jpg

Hot damn with all these screenshots. I need to start working on Dolphin again. I've been having problems with setting everything up, thus I raged quit for a bit.

ATF487

But as I saw Prometheus recently, it somehow reminded me of an metroid prime commercial i vaguely remember seeing, and I wondered - would prime be worth playing TODAY? I shrugged it off thinking that a graphical stellar game like that, which was a technical marvel a decade ago could not invoke the same powers it once could. watching a hitchcock classic today is still creepy, (can be) but gone are the days when people where afraid to be near birds at the park or take a shower.

Prime holds up fantastically well, in visuals, level design, etc.

I'm more worried that you haven't played Super Metroid though, that should be done before playing Metroid Prime...that way you won't go into it expecting a "shooter"

Ceebs

So I got myself a new high res monitor...

Wind Waker at 2560X1440 with 4X AA is out of this world. You just do not expect an almost 10 year old game to make your jaw drop.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dat PC Gaming
So I got myself a new high res monitor...

Wind Waker at 2560X1440 with 4X AA is out of this world. You just do not expect an almost 10 year old game to make your jaw drop.
I'm guessing you picked up a Korean panel? Which model did you get.

Lime

Where do I download old revisions of Dolphin? The links on the official site only link to deleted and broken links, e.g. Mediafire or zShare dead ends.

Foffy

Banned
Hey guys, I figured out my performance issue. It seems to be the CPU (Mine's an AMD Phenom X4 955) and I figure I'd ask here: what would be a good upgrade to get all the fully playable games on Dolphin to run well in Dolphin? I think I'll probably need a new motherboard too, but I'm so not tech savvy I don't want to blow a wad of cash for more issues. Hopefully you guys can help me, and hopefully it's something that's a little future-proof for the next few years. I've already had to upgrade the RAM, GPU, and PSU. My GPU is sure as shit more beefier than what's needed (my GPU's an NVIDIA GTX 580) and it pains me so much to know I can't run the Galaxy games, especially with looping audio (this makes the already slow performance even slower).

Lime

jediyoshi, how does PZ2 run? Are there many bugs or does the game work properly on Dolphin?

And is your 360 controller profile an adequate replacement for the motion controls? There aren't any hiccups?

Is there any particular builds that are good for Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door?

If there isn't, then I guess it just turns out that my Sandy Bridge 2.0GHz Quad Core isn't a high enough frequency to run LLE to solve the audio problems.

It sucks, because I really want to replay it, and now that I've seen it in 1080p, I don't think I can go back to the Gamecube.

Oh well. Building a new PC late this month, and hopefully the 2500K will be fast enough to run LLE no problem.

jediyoshi

Made some xbox button prompt replacements

http://dolphinsnacks.com/archives/1565
direct link if you already know where to install them

ssbb-000.jpg

http://dolphinsnacks.com/archives/1543
direct link

nsmb-001.jpg

jediyoshi, how does PZ2 run? Are there many bugs or does the game work properly on Dolphin?

And is your 360 controller profile an adequate replacement for the motion controls? There aren't any hiccups?

Photos don't show up when you try to view them in your album. Other than that, runs very good so far, isn't very settings dependent.

The profile is fine so far, getting to just hold down a button instead of randomly waggling is nice :p The 180 turn comes out a bit more reliable too.

Platy

People of Dolphinland !

A friend said Mario Galaxy is ugly.

Can I have your favorite Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 screenshots please ?

Hey guys, I figured out my performance issue. It seems to be the CPU (Mine's an AMD Phenom X4 955) and I figure I'd ask here: what would be a good upgrade to get all the fully playable games on Dolphin to run well in Dolphin? I think I'll probably need a new motherboard too, but I'm so not tech savvy I don't want to blow a wad of cash for more issues. Hopefully you guys can help me, and hopefully it's something that's a little future-proof for the next few years. I've already had to upgrade the RAM, GPU, and PSU. My GPU is sure as shit more beefier than what's needed (my GPU's an NVIDIA GTX 580) and it pains me so much to know I can't run the Galaxy games, especially with looping audio (this makes the already slow performance even slower).

An i5 2500k should do you just fine. It would be a very good idea to get an aftermarket cooling solution and overclock it, though.

Zenaku

I haven't had any graphical problems myself.

The game works fine without motion, using a PS3 controller personally, but I've set the A and B buttons (picking up items/taking photo's, and taking out the camera) to the R1 and R2 buttons, so I can use them while aiming the camera with the right stick; taking my thumb off the stick to take a picture was too much of an annoyance.

Photos don't show up when you try to view them in your album. Other than that, runs very good so far, isn't very settings dependent.

The profile is fine so far, getting to just hold down a button instead of randomly waggling is nice :p The 180 turn comes out a bit more reliable too.
How's the gameplay, is it as shitty as Lunar Eclipse or did they leave the original PS2 gameplay well enough alone in remaking this?

T.O.P

Banned
Guys can anyone help me find a download link for this?

3.0_71 Xenoblade HLE Hack v3.1 x64 (v3.1 HLE)

Been trying to play Xenoblade since yesterday but i can't find a way to fix the audio stuttering, then i found this fix but the link is down e.e

out of all the emulators, dolphin is and runs the best. If only pcsx2 was this good, I can never configure it. My i5 2500k and 6870s run even Xenoblade on 1080p but for some reason when I set Killzone 1 on 1080p it goes below 5fps.

oh btw, are there custom shaders for dolphin like epsxe?

GAF sorry for the noob question, but is my laptop capable of running Dolphin (games like Super Mario Sunshine, Galaxy, Xenoblade, etc.) fine? I have a HP Pavilion DV6-6135dx with a AMD A8-3500M APU, Radeon HD 1.5GHz graphics card, and 6GB RAM. Again, sorry for the noob question, not well-versed in computer hardware yet.

Ledsen

Anyone know best version and settings to play xenoblade ?

New version doesn't work that well

To quote myself:

So I FINALLY found the perfect Dolphin build for Xenoblade.

It's Filthy's 3.0-96 ICC build. It's the ONLY build I've tried that doesn't have any slowdown, even in huge battles where you're using effect-heavy skills left and right, at 4x resolution and 8x AF. I've tried like 5 other builds and they all have slowdown down to 22-25 fps in those battles (I'm on a i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz and a GTX 560 Ti). So if you want a 30 fps Xenoblade experience 100% of the time, this is the only way you're going to get it. Strangely enough the only person I've seen recommending it is this one guy.

Hey GAF, got dolphin and everything, but I'm trying to rip Mario Sunshine onto my computer but when I use the rawdump 2.1 program it gives me an error about something on JIT Debugging. Don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

abasm

Hey GAF, got dolphin and everything, but I'm trying to rip Mario Sunshine onto my computer but when I use the rawdump 2.1 program it gives me an error about something on JIT Debugging. Don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Do you have a supported disc drive? Only certain disc drives can read Wii/GC discs.

...it's much easier to hack and a Wii and dump games to an external HDD.

Top Bottom