• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Jazzem

Heya guys,

I'm trying to get Sonic Colors to run at 60fps with the AR hack, but it always goes back to 30fps once the level starts...any suggestions as to why?

I've checked "Store EFB Copies To Texture Only" and raised the emulated clock speed, as per suggested by the Wiki page.

ViciousDS

Banned
It's called dynamic shader complilation. Shaders define how a GPU should do its job, like a little autonomous program. Essentially anytime the emulator runs into a shader it hasn't seen and hasn't cached from before, it has to take the GameCube/Wii code and compile a new shader to give to the GPU. Dolphin has to pause while the CPU does this. As far as I know, the more you play the game the less this will happen since it will keep building out its cache and never have to recompile those shaders. Try it yourself; play a section, bear with the stuttering, then exit dolphin and try that same area again.

wow......thats pretty badass

Haven't ran dolphin since I sold my old tower and built a new one. New tower has a weaker CPU its a little better than a 2500k but its skylake the 6100, better ram DDR4 and now a 1060 vs my 970. Should be ok still with Xenoblade Chronicles though up-rezzed ok though even with the CPU drop from a 3770k right?

Sanic

Updated to the latest AMD drivers and all of my games now have pretty severe stutter with AA of any kind enabled (SSAA slows things to a crawl). Anyone else?

Eh? Depends on how good the gyroscope is, no? I mean you can use the mouse for IR controls just fine and you can use the Steam Controllers gyro controls as a replacement for mouse controls just fine :p

Yeah, shame it drops to 30 FPS whenever I destroy something big unless I run it in DX12 :p. It does Dolphin a lot better than my old E8500 did, that's for certain.

How do you run it in DX12? W10 user here.

NM, figured it out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Did you have the Async Shader Compilation setting on when using Ishiiruka?

Yes. The stutter is almost completely eliminated but in turn Ishiiruka gives me worse framerates, it dips to 40 in some areas, it's awful :p. Prime 1 is just fine though, but 2 doesn't play nice. Makes no difference between OpenGL, DX11 or DX12

Hey guys, I'm having a strange issue in Dolphin. Both Ishiikura and standard, when playing Metroid Prime Trilogy, I can't point the cursor all the way up. It maxes out at about 2/3rds from the top of the screen. I'm using my mouse to do IR inputs, but I seem to remember having this issue with the Dolphin bar as well. Any tips?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Something must be odd with the Ishiiruka build I have, just charging the beam in Prime 2 brings the framerate down from 60 to 45, quite weird. Same settings as regular Dolphin with the exception being async shaders.

Hey guys, I'm having a strange issue in Dolphin. Both Ishiikura and standard, when playing Metroid Prime Trilogy, I can't point the cursor all the way up. It maxes out at about 2/3rds from the top of the screen. I'm using my mouse to do IR inputs, but I seem to remember having this issue with the Dolphin bar as well. Any tips?

Does Dolphin have the same toggle as the Wii where you specify whether the sensor bar is above or below the screen? Could be related to that, if you're out of "range"?

Miker

Does Dolphin have the same toggle as the Wii where you specify whether the sensor bar is above or below the screen? Could be related to that, if you're out of "range"?

There is a "range" option for an emulated Wiimote, but a real Wiimote should just work. There is a sensor bar above/below option in the controller settings, though.

Nabs

Something must be odd with the Ishiiruka build I have, just charging the beam in Prime 2 brings the framerate down from 60 to 45, quite weird. Same settings as regular Dolphin with the exception being async shaders.

Can you post your settings? I haven't played much Prime 2 on Dolphin, so I don't know how certain areas will perform, but I have no problems with the regular charge beam. Everything seems smooth so far (30 minutes in).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can you post your settings? I haven't played much Prime 2 on Dolphin, so I don't know how certain areas will perform, but I have no problems with the regular charge beam. Everything seems smooth so far (30 minutes in).

It happens in save rooms too, so it's not related to a specific room, I use the standard settings recommended by the emulator, regular Dolphin it's fine apart from the stutters.

Boney

Banned
Hey guys, first time using Dolphin since I got a new PC that's not junk. It's an Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.3 - 2.4 GHz, An Intel 520 GPU and 8GB of RAM.

Either way, tried F-Zero set at 1080p and it stuttered a by in the menú sections but the races ran smoothly, but the audio was all garbled up. Would love any tips as to how to tinker with Dolphin to get the best experience. I am using 5.0

Also, how do you guys set the face buttons for Wii U Pro Controller / Xbox controller? I was setting it to be the same as the GC where A is south, B is west, X is east and Y is north, but inmediatly I realized I couldn't boost like that. I switched boost to the B button in the game's settings but things like Metroid Prime would make Super Missiles impossible. So I'm wondering how do you guys set it up.

Hey guys, first time using Dolphin since I got a new PC that's not junk. It's an Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.3 - 2.4 GHz, An Intel 520 GPU and 8GB of RAM.

Either way, tried F-Zero set at 1080p and it stuttered a by in the menú sections but the races ran smoothly, but the audio was all garbled up. Would love any tips as to how to tinker with Dolphin to get the best experience. I am using 5.0

Also, how do you guys set the face buttons for Wii U Pro Controller / Xbox controller? I was setting it to be the same as the GC where A is south, B is west, X is east and Y is north, but inmediatly I realized I couldn't boost like that. I switched boost to the B button in the game's settings but things like Metroid Prime would make Super Missiles impossible. So I'm wondering how do you guys set it up.

I find that the game stutters when it tries to load stuff, or it's the shader cache issue going on not sure. Have you tried playing in DX12 mode?

I use the setting you mentioned on a 360 controller to mimic a GC controller's layout. I don't really have issues with it, Charge Combos in Metroid are a tad awkward but certainly doable.

I'll try this when I'm at home, but at 3K, max AA and other effects DX12 my 980ti is mostly 60 FPS with occasionally annoying dips to the mid 40s. Would DX11 help? Any effects to turn down that help without losing image quality? Any settings I can change for better FPS?

shockdude

I'll try this when I'm at home, but at 3K, max AA and other effects DX12 my 980ti is mostly 60 FPS with occasionally annoying dips to the mid 40s. Would DX11 help? Any effects to turn down that help without losing image quality? Any settings I can change for better FPS?
What game are you playing? What do you mean by 3K, 3x IR or 1440p (4x IR)?

I'm playing baten kaitos on dolphin 5.0, and the game runs fine except when entering battle - the game slows down during the transition to the battle screen and it takes a few seconds to enter the battle. Anyone knows a way to fix this(or how to handle slowdowns in general)?

Strangely enough Dolphin 5 now works almost flawlessly for me. I'm halfway through Goldeneye and all Call of Duty games now actually run, unlike a week ago... yeah weird.
Also, FZero starts running quite well now.

I recorded some footage, but unfortunately it's only in 30fps since I currently can only use the MS DVR feature that limits recording to 30 fps. Bummer. Also the IQ is trash. Any recommendations for a good free recording software?
Still, they still show the average experience I get from Dolphin now.

Goldeneye
Metroid

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
So I've just updated to Windows 10 Anniversary, and as expected it broke something. Now my WiiU Gamecube USB adapter isn't working anymore (Code 10 in the Device Manager). Anyone has a fix for this?

Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, had to reinstall the driver with Zadig.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Strangely enough Dolphin 5 now works almost flawlessly for me. I'm halfway through Goldeneye and all Call of Duty games now actually run, unlike a week ago... yeah weird.
Also, FZero starts running quite well now.

I recorded some footage, but unfortunately it's only in 30fps since I currently can only use the MS DVR feature that limits recording to 30 fps. Bummer. Also the IQ is trash. Any recommendations for a good free recording software?
Still, they still show the average experience I get from Dolphin now.

Goldeneye
Metroid

MSI Afterburner, OBS, Shadowplay if you have an Nvidia GPU.

Completely random reoccurring thought I've been having recently, but if someone could unpack, modify, and repack game files/textures for a wii game, would it be possible to take a mostly 2D game like Trauma Center or Traume Team, uprez the character sprites, text boxes, and other 2D assets like textures using something like Waifu 2x Caffe or similar, and replace them into the game?

Would it require much more work than that? (I'm assuming so, but it's always sad when a game like Trauma Team is locked/limited to its hardware and as a result, eventually ages, even with Emulation.)

DonMigs85

Completely random reoccurring thought I've been having recently, but if someone could unpack, modify, and repack game files/textures for a wii game, would it be possible to take a mostly 2D game like Trauma Center or Traume Team, uprez the character sprites, text boxes, and other 2D assets like textures using something like Waifu 2x Caffe or similar, and replace them into the game?

Would it require much more work than that? (I'm assuming so, but it's always sad when a game like Trauma Team is locked/limited to its hardware and as a result, eventually ages, even with Emulation.
Good question. Luckily at least some other games like DKC Returns actually seemed to have overdesigned 2D assets which scale well to 1080p and beyond.

shockdude

Would it require much more work than that? (I'm assuming so, but it's always sad when a game like Trauma Team is locked/limited to its hardware and as a result, eventually ages, even with Emulation.
Dolphin has official support for custom texture packs. No need to repack the game, just put HD textures into a special folder, and Dolphin will load those textures automatically.
See: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Forum-hd-texture-projects
PcDsPrp.png

Dolphin has official support for custom texture packs. No need to repack the game, just put HD textures into a special folder, and Dolphin will load those textures automatically.
See: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Forum-hd-texture-projects

Very cool - though I don't have the time or knowhow to find, upconvert, and rename all the textures and 2D assets for the game.

Though I hope a fan with the expertise and time does come along one day.

LewieP

How playable is the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Dolphin and can I use a controller instead of the Wiimote?
Metroid Prime 3 is designed around a Wii Remote, and the versions of Prime and Prime 2 included in the trilogy have no controller support. I think if you want to use a controller, you're better off playing the GameCube versions of the first two games.

You can probably configure it to use a mouse instead of Wii remote, and map the pointer as a cursor.

Maybe it's possible to map a controller to use in Prime 3, but I can't imagine it would be a very good experience.

jediyoshi

Very cool - though I don't have the time or knowhow to find, upconvert, and rename all the textures and 2D assets for the game.

Though I hope a fan with the expertise and time does come along one day.

Most of it would be pretty simple if you were planning to bulk upres everything. Textures dump as you play in the correct format with the correct name to be custom loaded. As long as you had a method to automate the conversion process, it'd be more of a time thing of making sure you could access every texture in game.

Nabs

How playable is the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Dolphin and can I use a controller instead of the Wiimote?

I've tried the first two in Trilogy and they're great with the ishiiruka custom dolphin build. I can't imagine it being very playable with a conventional x1/ps4 controller, but it's wonderful with a steam controller since you can map the pointer to your mouse cursor.

SOLDIER

Heard from the Super Best Friends' latest LP how Dolphin can display games in 3D.

What are some really good looking 3D games?

Heard from the Super Best Friends' latest LP how Dolphin can display games in 3D.

What are some really good looking 3D games?

i like xenoblade in 3d

i started playing metroid prime. the game looks great, but the hud is 2d.
the only annoying part is the crosshair so i modded it out, but i don't know if it's realistic to play through the whole game without a crosshair

i think anything without fixed-size 2D stuff trying to be shown at an exact position in a 3D game world should generally work fine

this can fix some types of performance issues

i don't mind the normal performance for xenoblade though. it just stutters while it's loading something for the very first time in the session, but it's smooth after that.

don't know about 60fps
only mod i used was something to halve the XP gain

Top Bottom