• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

kjacobson

Neo Member
The next thing i'm excited for is Dolphin emulation coming to Raspberry Pi/RetroPie - probably will be a bit before the hardware is capable though. PS1 seems to work fairly well on the Model 3, maybe in the next 1 or 2 generations of hardware we'll be there.

Reallink

Heard from the Super Best Friends' latest LP how Dolphin can display games in 3D.

What are some really good looking 3D games?

Forget 3D, you can play some games in VR. I just played Wind Waker start to finish entirely in VR and it's amazingly close to a native Oculus game like Lucky's Tale. They could easily sell this on the store with a couple bug fixes (if it weren't a Nintendo property obviously). Really incredible.

Forget 3D, you can play some games in VR. I just played Wind Waker start to finish entirely in VR and it's amazingly close to a native Oculus game like Lucky's Tale. They could easily sell this on the store with a couple bug fixes (if it weren't a Nintendo property obviously). Really incredible.

Wind Waker really does adapt to VR fantastically. Some camera control stuff was weird, but overall a really great way to experience the game.

Does Dolphin have the same toggle as the Wii where you specify whether the sensor bar is above or below the screen? Could be related to that, if you're out of "range"?

Forgot to mention that I fixed the issue. It was a range thing, yeah. Had to limit height and width on IR to 70. Seems to work great now, really digging how it feels.

EDIT: Having to move the cursor to the edge of the screen is starting to get a bit grating using a Steam Controller. Is there a way to keep it constantly centered with an AR code or something, or is that just completely out of the question for how the game was designed?

Ritzboof

im seeing some chatting about F-Zero GX. ove long since come to the conclusion that it will never run flawlessly on any computer, no matter how beastly it is. im running on:

i7-4790k, 4.0GHz, quad core
Nvidia GeForce GTX960, 1130MHz, 4GB VRAM
16GB RAM

yknow, a couple times the power of a real gamecube. even if i play the game at native resolution with no anti-aliasing, no anisotropic filtering, no v-sync, no nothing, itll still occasionally get nice and choppy before it gets used to the stage. i didnt get massive frame drops in the vehicle select, though, which is an improvement (or was this stuff improved with 5.0?). but yeah, no, F-Zero doesnt really emulate well... unless someone has come up with something?

also, 3D is definitely a thing. i messed with stereoscopic 3D once before since that doesnt require that i go get 3D glasses. i played killer 7, and holy crap, that depth makes it surreal. seeing all the blood cells fly out at you is awesome af

Still getting stuttering in F-Zero GX which is a shame

im seeing some chatting about F-Zero GX. ove long since come to the conclusion that it will never run flawlessly on any computer, no matter how beastly it is. im running on:

i7-4790k, 4.0GHz, quad core
Nvidia GeForce GTX960, 1130MHz, 4GB VRAM
16GB RAM

yknow, a couple times the power of a real gamecube. even if i play the game at native resolution with no anti-aliasing, no anisotropic filtering, no v-sync, no nothing, itll still occasionally get nice and choppy before it gets used to the stage. i didnt get massive frame drops in the vehicle select, though, which is an improvement (or was this stuff improved with 5.0?). but yeah, no, F-Zero doesnt really emulate well... unless someone has come up with something?

also, 3D is definitely a thing. i messed with stereoscopic 3D once before since that doesnt require that i go get 3D glasses. i played killer 7, and holy crap, that depth makes it surreal. seeing all the blood cells fly out at you is awesome af
The microstutter is caused by shader compilation. You can read about it here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/42u4d8/dolphin_and_microstuttering_an_explanation/

In fact, that link might as well be posted on every page considering the frequency of questions and comments about microstuttering.

I posted in this thread awhile ago but I never really got this working. But should a laptop with a integrated graphics card that was about 700 dollars be able to run games without any enhancements? I don't mind it being 480P.

I think these are the specs
Intel Core i5-4200U 1.6GHz Processor
8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory
Intel Graphics 4400

I mean I'm fine with playing them on my wii but I wan't to kind of consolidate my stuff to play it on my one PC so I can free up some space.

Layell

I posted in this thread awhile ago but I never really got this working. But should a laptop with a integrated graphics card that was about 700 dollars be able to run games without any enhancements? I don't mind it being 480P.

8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory
Intel Graphics 4400

I mean I'm fine with playing them on my wii but I wan't to kind of consolidate my stuff to play it on my one PC so I can free up some space.

Not an expert on Laptop graphics specs but honestly you should be able to run stuff fine, my laptop I got 7 years ago ran Brawl all right, and that was before the tons of improvements to the emulator.

8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory
Intel Graphics 4400

Install it and find out. Share results here.

Finally got around to doing something I've wanted to do for a while, edit Skyward Sword's blurry ugly face textures. Got Link done, working on Zelda, gonna try to do as many characters as I can. Using this HD pack as a base: http://skyward-sword-remastered.tumblr.com/

NQzvuNh.png

UNcQi0S.png

petran79

Banned

8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory
Intel Graphics 4400

Mine had an Intel HD 3000 and run things fine in DX9 mode. Use Ishiruka build. Notice that Intel graphics may cause some glitches when compared to AMD and Nvidia cards. They're not meant for gaming after all.

shockdude

8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory
Intel Graphics 4400

What games are you playing?
You might need to use ThrottleStop to keep the CPU in turbo (>2GHz), but other than that expect full speed for many games at 2x internal res.

What games are you playing?
You might need to use ThrottleStop to keep the CPU in turbo (>2GHz), but other than that expect full speed for many games at 2x internal res.
Twilight princess GC is one I'm dying to play and majoras mask virtual console

I also have Metroid prime 1, 2, 3
Twin snakes
Wind waker
Melee and brawl

Is throttlestop in the settings?

shockdude

Twilight princess GC is one I'm dying to play and majoras mask virtual console

I also have Metroid prime 1, 2, 3
Twin snakes
Wind waker
Melee and brawl

Is throttlestop in the settings?
Melee and brawl will run easily. MP, twilight princess, and anything virtual console might be tricky.
ThrottleStop is a tool to prevent your CPU from throttling down under load. Be sure to do some research, since not throttling your CPU could cause overheating if you're not careful.

8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory
Intel Graphics 4400

Will work with some games but not others. It's entirely game dependent.

Nerrel

This emulator has gotten so unbelievably good. 4 years ago I tried playing Metroid Prime 2 and it was a mess; hugely demanding, the need for EFB to RAM on top of it, the black bar glitch.... it was the only game that ran so poorly in Dolphin that I wished had played on the original console instead.
Now I'm running it in Ishikura at 3x res with 4xAA and 16xAF, EFB to RAM, async shaders to kill the black bar glitch, and I've even got ambient occlusion and SSGI enabled- and it still runs fullspeed. Here are some shots comparing the effect of the SSAO... it can have a big positive impact:

SSAO On

Default 2
SSAO 2

Default 3
SSAO 3

The downside is that it's applied on top of fog, so it looks strange in the really hazy caves at the start. That, and it's tedious to find the right settings (subtle is always the best way to go). But holy fuck, it looks good. I don't really understand how they got the texture work to this level on the gamecube.

Finally got around to doing something I've wanted to do for a while, edit Skyward Sword's blurry ugly face textures. Got Link done, working on Zelda, gonna try to do as many characters as I can. Using this HD pack as a base: http://skyward-sword-remastered.tumblr.com/

It looks nice- if maybe a little too flushed like mentioned above. Do you have a comparison shot?

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Alcoholic.

It looks good, but I find the nose to look too red, even though I'm on a colour accurate monitor.

It looks nice- if maybe a little too flushed like mentioned above. Do you have a comparison shot?

Yeah I agree. Yesterday I looked at it on another monitor and thought it was a bit much. I wanted it pinkish, but not that bright.

Here's an updated comparison:

4xpBSJs.png

I never think the original looked as rough as it does until I see it again.

Oh, and the tunic texture is part of the texture pack I posted earlier.

Nerrel

Yeah I agree. Yesterday I looked at it on another monitor and thought it was a bit much. I wanted it pinkish, but not that bright.

Here's an updated comparison:

4xpBSJs.png

I never think the original looked as rough as it does until I see it again.

Oh, and the tunic texture is part of the texture pack I posted earlier.

That looks better. And holy shit, Link looks like a strung out drug addict in the original. I assume they made the definition of features extra strong to be visible in SD.

The pack you linked to looks great; I think it's a lot more faithful and tastefully done than the Tomoya one that's been going around. If Tomoya's effects were applied to these textures it'd probably be the best of both worlds.

That looks better. And holy shit, Link looks like a strung out drug addict in the original. I assume they made the definition of features extra strong to be visible in SD.

The pack you linked to looks great; I think it's a lot more faithful and tastefully done than the Tomoya one that's been going around. If Tomoya's effects were applied to these textures it'd probably be the best of both worlds.

I think a lot of it has to do with SS's aesthetic being so painterly, you can really just take the originals, upscale them and apply a paint filter, and it looks pretty great in game.

Luigi87

Just upgraded to a GTX 1070 in my ol' i7 920 @ 3.8GHz system.

So nice to see SMG2 at 60fps, and Skyward Sword at 30fps... Dolphin 5.0 so good.

Mozendo

Hey guys I'm having issues with dolphin recognizing my controllers. None of the inputs are registering despite games and other emulators recognizing them.
Any suggestions?

RedShift

I think I have my dream set up.

- Games added to Steam using ICE (with some beautiful banner art)
- Steam link to stream from PC to TV
- Wavebird

Playing through Twilight Princess for the first time since it came out (I think). I love this game, and I love Dolphin.

- Wavebird

Playing through Twilight Princess for the first time since it came out (I think). I love this game, and I love Dolphin.
Nice! This does sound like an awesome setup. I've always wanted to get Dolphin up and running, but need a good PC first. The fact that it's possible to stream it to PC sounds awesome.

DonMigs85

Maybe I'm imagining things, but the last couple dev builds of Dolphin seem to have more CPU usage spikes and associated stuttering. Might try an earlier build again.

Daedardus

Maybe I'm imagining things, but the last couple dev builds of Dolphin seem to have more CPU usage spikes and associated stuttering. Might try an earlier build again.

You sure it's not the shader cache that needs to be rebuild every time you use a different version?

Wastwood

Neo Member

- Wavebird

Question, is there any way to use the dolphinbar on the steamlink?

shockdude

I managed to get a hold of both a Mayflash GC adapter in addition to my genuine Nintendo GC adapter.
I don't have any fancy testing equipment, and I didn't do any blind tests or anything, but I did do comparisons of how long it took for me to hear a sound effect after a button press for each adapter.
After about twenty minutes of comparisons, my opinion is that both the Mayflash and Nintendo GC adapters have indistinguishable input lag.

Edit: After yet another twenty minutes of a slightly different comparison, my opinion is that I wish I had a proper scientific test setup, and that doing input lag tests by ear will eventually drive you crazy.
Even a single blind test would be sufficient, but I don't know anyone who'd be willing to put up with helping me do that lol.

Nevertheless, I now believe the Nintendo adapter has slightly less input lag, and that the difference is barely perceptible.

Edit 2: Twenty more minutes of crazy, tested the adapter with Burnout 2.

The Nintendo adapter has less input lag than the Mayflash Adapter, and it is noticeable. That's all I can say.

All other factors of the Mayflash adapter in Wii U mode (e.g. analog area) are identical to that of the Nintendo adapter. The Mayflash adapter is cheaper and has more features, notably proper PC drivers and Pokken compatibility.

The original janky test setup I used was running run Dolphin with VSync off, going to Melee's main menu, and perceiving the time between DPAD-Up to sound effect. The updated test setup was going to the Deflicker menu and perceiving the time from A-press to sound effect.

I managed to get a hold of both a Mayflash GC adapter in addition to my genuine Nintendo GC adapter.
I don't have any fancy testing equipment, and I didn't do any blind tests or anything, but I did do comparisons of how long it took for me to hear a sound effect after a button press for each adapter.
After about twenty minutes of comparisons, my opinion is that both the Mayflash and Nintendo GC adapters have indistinguishable input lag.

This is why real tests require data. And equipment to measure it.

The more pressing issue for most people is the Mayflash adapter doesn't properly map the whole analog area that the official one does.

shockdude

This is why real tests require data. And equipment to measure it.

The more pressing issue for most people is the Mayflash adapter doesn't properly map the whole analog area that the official one does.
Well yeah, but very few people have the means, skills, and motivation to build a proper test rig. The Smash 4 community is huge, if the difference mattered that much then someone would've properly tested it by now.
I noticed the Mayflash adapter doesn't map the whole analog area, but I used PC drivers for my Nintendo adapter and the Nintendo adapter also doesn't map the whole analog area. I presume that not mapping the whole analog area is correct behavior, regardless of how silly it is.

Edit: Compared the two adapters in F-Zero GX's Controller Calibrator, both adapters have identical analog area.
Edit 2: Updated original post.

DonMigs85

Well yeah, but very few people have the means, skills, and motivation to build a proper test rig. The Smash 4 community is huge, if the difference mattered that much then someone would've properly tested it by now.
I noticed the Mayflash adapter doesn't map the whole analog area, but I used PC drivers for my Nintendo adapter and the Nintendo adapter also doesn't map the whole analog area. I presume that not mapping the whole analog area is correct behavior, regardless of how silly it is.

Edit: Compared the two adapters in F-Zero GX's Controller Calibrator, both adapters have identical analog area.
Edit 2: Updated original post.

But the actual feel of the games is pretty much the same as on an actual GameCube, right? Nothing seems off? I think that's what matters most.
I think F-Zero GX, Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball and Metroid Prime would be good test cases.

shockdude

But the actual feel of the games is pretty much the same as on an actual GameCube, right? Nothing seems off? I think that's what matters most.
I think F-Zero GX, Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball and Metroid Prime would be good test cases.
I don't have a TV right now so I can't test on real hardware. It wouldn't matter anyway, because input lag from HDTV upscaling would be a much more significant factor.

Anyways I played some Burnout 2. The difference in input lag is noticeable. I plan to return the Mayflash adapter if I can.

It's a huge shame too, I really wanted that native PC support so I wouldn't have to deal with the jankiness of the Nintendo adapter's unofficial PC drivers for games like Screencheat.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm using Dolphin for the first time, and I have a Wii U Pro Controller with the Mayflash adapter on Windows 10.

What/how should I configure Dolphin to use it as a Wii Classic Controller? I don't see anything in the config menu for that. I wanna play Monster Hunter Tri by the way.

[EDIT] I saw the Classic option in the options, but apparently I can set the Home button of the Wii U Pro as the emulated home button. It's just not recognized. And I can use a keyboard/mouse button as a replacement. Any solutions?

[EDIT2] Well, got everything working just fine apart from the Home button. Only weird thing is I need to switch to XInput mode on the Mayflash adapter, otherwise the sticks will malfunction sometimes.

Does the Metroid Prime Trilogy still not work? Or is it playable now?

8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory
Intel Graphics 4400

Tbh that CPU might give you trouble with it being clocked so low, especially on Wii games. You may be able to run some GCN games though. (edit: this is a month-old post and didn't realize. oh well)

Personally, I've used the official GCN Adapter with Dolphin on Sunshine and Melee and it seemed fine to me. I don't have the Mayflash adapter to test it against though.

Top Bottom