• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Platy

...what is the diference between "ripping your own game" and "downloading a torrent" for that same game ?

Both ethical and functionaly speaking (for dolphin)

Double D

Platy said:
...what is the diference between "ripping your own game" and "downloading a torrent" for that same game ?

That wasn't what I was asking. I'm just scratching the surface on this stuff and was curious if I could just run a wii disc from my dvd tray. From your response I guess not.

Vik_Vaughn said:
That wasn't what I was asking. I'm just scratching the surface on this stuff and was curious if I could just run a wii disc from my dvd tray. From your response I guess not.
You need either a Wii, or an LG DVD drive.

jediyoshi

Woot, looks like they got free look working in DX9.

ibwtJM.jpg

JADS

I should be doing hw said:
What game is that? I don't think I've seen it before. For GC by the looks of the buttons.

Arc Rise Fantasia, JRPG for the Wii with terrible voice acting :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
Platy said:

Functionally: no difference.

Ethically: you'll be seeding to pirates.

I have to go the download route for NDS roms, since there's no easy way to rip the games, but with the Wii, there is little reason to doing so as setting your Wii up to rip the games is quite easy.

Okay, I'm usually quite resourceful with this stuff but I'm stumped. I'm trying to run killer7 in OpenGL (have to use that for the free look hack). If I run one of the latest builds I can't kill the Smiles, I just get the same effect as if I was shooting a wall. If I run a much older build I can kill the Smiles but it doesn't draw the floor and the antialiasing's patchy.

I'm using the config posted earlier in the thread.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Tried DX11 with free look and it's the same.

I've never tried Dolphin, but now I'm suddenly interested. The reason for this is simple: I despise the mandatory waggle in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Can the awful waggle be mapped to a button in Dolphin?

vazel

Banned
Leondexter said:
I've never tried Dolphin, but now I'm suddenly interested. The reason for this is simple: I despise the mandatory waggle in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Can the awful waggle be mapped to a button in Dolphin?
Yup it's how I play NSMB.

jediyoshi

TheOctagon said:
I'm trying to run killer7 in OpenGL (have to use that for the free look hack). If I run one of the latest builds I can't kill the Smiles, I just get the same effect as if I was shooting a wall. If I run a much older build I can kill the Smiles but it doesn't draw the floor and the antialiasing's patchy.

I'm using the config posted earlier in the thread.

Any ideas?

DX9 supports free look now, not sure if switching the video plugin would fix something game related but it's worth a try.

Leondexter said:

Yep, there's a way to bind a button to shaking. Although there are codes for if your Wii is modded to remap the function to a button

jediyoshi said:
DX9 supports free look now, not sure if switching the video plugin would fix something game related but it's worth a try.

No dice. Past experience with this has always involved issues with the JIT64 compiler, though I've tried the experimental compiler and 32-bit version without success.

loosus

Banned
Holy shit, I always knew Metal Gear Solid 2 looked better than Twin Snakes, but this really brings to light the gulf between the two. Twin Snakes look so fucking bad. I wonder if it was...a function of the GameCube just not having some of the post processing effects that the PlayStation 2 had, the fact that Konami had little experience with GameCube, the fact that Silicon Knights is incompetent, or some combination of all these.

Peterthumpa

loosus said:
Holy shit, I always knew Metal Gear Solid 2 looked better than Twin Snakes, but this really brings to light the gulf between the two. Twin Snakes look so fucking bad. I wonder if it was...a function of the GameCube just not having some of the post processing effects that the PlayStation 2 had, the fact that Konami had little experience with GameCube, the fact that Silicon Knights is incompetent, or some combination of all these.
You forgot the fact that this is a port of a PSX game.

Fellas, those shot's I've posted have little to no post processing effects./ The game is really Post Processing Heavy to be perfectly honest with you guys.

I've got a few good post processing screenshots of some effects in action, but as you know those effects aren't fully captured unless they are a video and not a screenshot. The game in action is not as sterile as these few screenshots I've posted so far, trust me.

Cuban Legend said:
Fellas, those shot's I've posted have little to no post processing effects./ The game is really Post Processing Heavy to be perfectly honest with you guys.

I've got a few good post processing screenshots of some effects in action, but as you know those effects aren't fully captured unless they are a video and not a screenshot. The game in action is not as sterile as these few screenshots I've posted so far, trust me.
It's like seeing MGS2 without the 60 fps and the dynamic rain.

Stills don't tell the whole story.

whitehawk

Banned
Anyone know what settings I should be using to get full-speed on smash bros brawl? I'm getting 45-50 fps right now. There's also some graphic glitches with the characters.

loosus said:

Simple. It's because Silicon Knights (who aren't the greatest graphics programmers in the world) did a quickie port of the MGS2 engine (which was designed for PS2) over to the GCN.

The result is a mediocre looking game that likes to stutter every now and again.

Just played F-ZERO GX in 3D successfully... I am without words.

But am am with about 15 3D screenshots, how could i share them with you all?

sam27368

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
Yes, but that computer is a few hundred pounds higher than it should be.
I was wondering if the gaming systems were outdated yet, I'm terrible when it comes to hardware and what works well together and what doesn't.

Zomba13

Cuban Legend said:
Just played F-ZERO GX in 3D successfully... I am without words.

But am am with about 15 3D screenshots, how could i share them with you all?
Throw them in a zip or rar and send them my way :eek:
Make sure they are like side by side so I can view them in the nvidia 3D viewer thing. Or if they are in the nvidia viewer format then that's even better :D

Red

Chairhome said:
Heads up: Today's Amazon Deal of the Day is a Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar for $5. I think that would work well for this.
It works perfectly.
sam27368 said:
I was wondering if the gaming systems were outdated yet, I'm terrible when it comes to hardware and what works well together and what doesn't.
The build you posted is pretty powerful and comes with a 4 GHz overclock already set, but you definitely could save some cash building it yourself. If you wanted to shell out the cash to have it prebuilt and overclocked out of the box, that's a viable option, but keep in mind you can come up with something comparable for a lesser price. Ultimately it's up to you.

The system is definitely not "outdated," though the 460 isn't exactly top of the line. It's still a good card, and having an SLI setup will provide great results. Honestly, though, it's probably plenty for whatever you can throw at it.

Zomba13 said:
Throw them in a zip or rar and send them my way :eek:
Make sure they are like side by side so I can view them in the nvidia 3D viewer thing. Or if they are in the nvidia viewer format then that's even better :D
Here you go 16 Screnshots I took from the game's intro sequence alone.

Perfect, they are in the NVIDIA .jps format (perfect for the Nvidia 3D Screnshot viewer).

sam27368

Banned
Crunched said:
It works perfectly.

The build you posted is pretty powerful and comes with a 4 GHz overclock already set, but you definitely could save some cash building it yourself. If you wanted to shell out the cash to have it prebuilt and overclocked out of the box, that's a viable option, but keep in mind you can come up with something comparable for a lesser price. Ultimately it's up to you.

The system is definitely not "outdated," though the 460 isn't exactly top of the line. It's still a good card, and having an SLI setup will provide great results. Honestly, though, it's probably plenty for whatever you can throw at it.

Thanks for that, massive help. Back in the day I would've been able to build my own but I don't know about any of the modern day processors (or graphics cards for that matter).

Sorry to slightly derail the thread but can anyone suggest any good prebuilt bundles that can run pretty much any game (and Dolphin, PS2 emu etc) and is a good price? (UK price)

DSN2K

just tried out Soul Calibur II, looks Hot!

Dolphin-2011-01-03-04-52-59-40.jpg

Dolphin-2011-01-03-04-09-09-51.jpg

Ive got inconsistent Frame rate but I've got 4xAA on for one so I'm sure I can get it working well with a few things reduced.

Nabs

dkcr is running very nicely for me (i7 @ 2.80ghz). using the latest rev - dx9, no ssaa, disable cpu access, copy to texture, dlist cache enabled. oh and sonic and the black knight projection hack enabled. who knew it would come in handy?

Top Bottom