• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Jin34 said:
So I used Save Game Manager to copy the locked Smash Bros save file from my Wii but can't import it to Dolphin like other non blocked saves. Anyone know how to get it to work?
How are you trying to import it? What I do to import saves in dolphin is right click open Wii save folder on the game then copy the files from a similarly named folder that savegame manager made.

Sectus

REmake still looks pretty good! I'm playing at 1280x960, but I thought I'd just resize screenshots down to 50% size for the sake of matching the background resolution. The characters looks great at high res, the backgrounds just doesn't scale well.

I'd love to see Capcom re-render all of the backgrounds at 720p or 1080p and re-release the game with better lighting.

Dolphin2011-02-1420-54-32-57.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1420-41-54-53.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1419-34-06-29.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1419-07-57-55.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1418-56-19-63.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1418-53-51-42.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1418-53-32-49.jpg

StevieP

Banned
Am I the only one that's experiencing TERRIBLE bluetooth range on the new Asus P67 motherboards? (I have a P67 Pro). I mean I can't even get 5 feet on most games, aside from possibly Wii Sports.

It is an HTPC, and is in a rack mind you... but I'm used to getting 15ft minimum out of bluetooth adapters.

Nabs

They added per-game graphic profiles :D. You can now set a game up and never really have to worry about it again. When you install a new build, you can just copy over the gameconfig folder.

The dolphin site is backed up (by 40 revisions), I don't know whats up with that. I got 7168 from here (top 2).

micster said:
Derp, why didnt I check Youtube. Brilliant stuff. I'd really love a rig to be able to do this emu stuff.

Disaster day of Crysis is such a fucking great game.

AceBandage said:
I've been doing some for NMH2 in the High Res thread, but not everyone checks it out, so I'll share a couple.

NMH2 screens

It really seems like this game was made for a system much stronger than the Wii.

Some of the texture work in the game in the dolphin screens someone posted some months ago were insane, there was a comparison shot, and you couldnt even see the texture in the wii one becuase it was all blurry.

Jin34

Starwolf_UK said:
How are you trying to import it? What I do to import saves in dolphin is right click open Wii save folder on the game then copy the files from a similarly named folder that savegame manager made.

Ah thanks, I was trying the import save like you do with reg saves, now I got all the characters and stages, woot.

Nabs said:
They added per-game graphic profiles :D. You can now set a game up and never really have to worry about it again. When you install a new build, you can just copy over the gameconfig folder.

The dolphin site is backed up (by 40 revisions), I don't know whats up with that. I got 7168 from here (top 2).
FUCK YEAH! I remember asking the devs for this a few months back!

I'm sure there also was a massive amount of requests for it though, lol.

Menelaus

Banned
I just started playing with Dolphin yesterday, and am trying to get Kirby's Epic Yarn to work. My rig doesn't have a Bluetooth dongle yet, and so it's emulating the wiimote with the mouse.

Trouble is, I can't get past the save file creation screen. Nothing I click works! The standard mapping of "return" on the keyboard to "start" on the controller doesn't seem to work either. Any ideas?

StevieP said:
Am I the only one that's experiencing TERRIBLE bluetooth range on the new Asus P67 motherboards? (I have a P67 Pro). I mean I can't even get 5 feet on most games, aside from possibly Wii Sports.

It is an HTPC, and is in a rack mind you... but I'm used to getting 15ft minimum out of bluetooth adapters.
That sucks,

Here is my setup. I can sit on my couch, as long as i sit forward i have blue tooth range. I have the P8PS7 vanilla.
livingroom-01-01.png

Wife has class tonight. I will get farther in Tenchu, i have been playing through it no glitches so far will post if anything looks good.

I did everything in remake, even got that crazy rocket launcher. You are going to make me replay it. I think PN03 is next on my list, then Wind Waker since i never played it before.

StevieP

Banned
Krauser Kat said:
That sucks,

Here is my setup. I can sit on my couch, as long as i sit forward i have blue tooth range. I have the P8PS7 vanilla.

Mine is at the bottom of a rack, with other wireless devices (like router) nearby.

I'm guessing due to the horrible range of the Asus adapter, I will have to purchase a better one? Any suggestions? :(

(it kinda sucks that I have to buy a bluetooth adapter for a computer that already has a bluetooth adapter. Sucks!)

Sectus

Just completed REmake, whoo! And to celebrate, more highres picture spam!

Dolphin2011-02-1510-17-24-82.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1510-55-18-05.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1511-33-49-57.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1514-50-52-57.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1515-07-44-04.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1515-30-28-61.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1516-32-01-98.jpg

Dolphin2011-02-1516-40-02-08.jpg

And what should I do next? REmake on Real Survival difficulty or play RE0? *ponder ponder*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sectus said:
Just completed REmake, whoo! And to celebrate, more highres picture spam!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1510-17-24-82.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1510-55-18-05.jpg[/IM
[IMG]http://i221.phtobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1511-33-49-57.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1514-50-52-57.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1515-07-44-04.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1515-30-28-61.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1516-32-01-98.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE1/Dolphin2011-02-1516-40-02-08.jpg[/IMG

And what should I do next? REmake on Real Survival difficulty or play RE0? *ponder ponder*[/QUOTE]

How about Wiimake, the ported Resident Evil Remake to the Wii. See if there is any difference.

Unless that is what you already did.

How well can I expect Dolphin to run on my i5-2500 at stock 3.3GHz (does Intel turbo boost work with Dolphin?) and Intel Graphics HD 2000?

I know the answer is probably "Depends on the game", but I'm wonder what FPS range can I expect in general, and whether I can turn on any graphical effects.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Eh, GPU is a bit poor. You should still be able to play the games, just you may not be able to crank up the visual effects. Play at stock resolution and it should run find, and even then you could likely crank up the visual effects to some degree.

I would try to get one of the builds that make use of SSE3 or SSE4 on the dolphin forum though, to make use of the CPU a bit more.

Sectus

Naked Snake said:
How well can I expect Dolphin to run on my i5-2500 at stock 3.3GHz (does Intel turbo boost work with Dolphin?) and Intel Graphics HD 2000?

I know the answer is probably "Depends on the game", but I'm wonder what FPS range can I expect in general, and whether I can turn on any graphical effects.
My CPU is notably weaker and I'm able to run a few games at near full speed (like REmake and RE0). I'm not familiar with that graphics card. Is it an integrated one?

Anyway, the emulator (as with most emulators) is heavily CPU bottlenecked. Unless you have a very weak graphics card, you can usually go crazy with graphical settings with little to no effect on the framerate. For instance, whether I run REmake at 640x480 with no AA or 1280x960 with 8xAA has a total of zero effect on framerate.

Drkirby said:
How about Wiimake, the ported Resident Evil Remake to the Wii. See if there is any difference.

Unless that is what you already did.
That's what I played. I'm fairly certain there's no difference between this and the GC version.

Sectus said:
My CPU is notably weaker and I'm able to run a few games at near full speed (like REmake and RE0). I'm not familiar with that graphics card. Is it an integrated one?

Anyway, the emulator (as with most emulators) is heavily CPU bottlenecked. Unless you have a very weak graphics card, you can usually go crazy with graphical settings with little to no effect on the framerate. For instance, whether I run REmake at 640x480 with no AA or 1280x960 with 8xAA has a total of zero effect on framerate.

Yes it's an integrated one, integrated INSIDE the CPU actually, it's better than any previous integrated one, but it's still a low-end compared to dedicated ones.

I'm aware that Dolphin is CPU bottlenecked. The CPU can run at 3.7GHz if only one core is running I think. I wonder if disabling dual core in Dolphin would yield better results.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sectus said:

That's what I played. I'm fairly certain there's no difference between this and the GC version.
I found that when I turned the resolution up to 1920x1080, some games did start to slow down over running it in 720p. Like Melee.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
StevieP said:

is it plugged into some kind of custom port? Haven't looked closely at mine but it could just be a USB plug - in which case you might be able to use an extension cable to pull it out towards the front of your rack

Sanjay

Nabs said:
They added per-game graphic profiles :D. You can now set a game up and never really have to worry about it again.

Fuck I knew I should have patented this, it was my idea, the lost revenue I might have had.

Dolphin2011-02-1418-53-32-49.jpg

Huh, this may be the only sub-par background in the entire game. Look how the ceiling tiles, and the weirdness of the lighting in the corner! I thought they rendered these on supercomputers or shit.

Hanzou

Where in that Wii homebrew thread does it say how to rip your gamecube games, nwhere in the OP does it say how to. Is it later in the thread?

Nabs

Krauser Kat said:
I will have to look through dolphin for an open f-key Any suggestions

I like Num 0 on the number pad. You can also remap your Dolphin hotkeys in new revisions.

Hanzou said:
Where in that Wii homebrew thread does it say how to rip your gamecube games, nwhere in the OP does it say how to. Is it later in the thread?

You could ask 'em. I use Superdump to dump via wifi (slow).

Nabs said:
I like Num 0 on the number pad. You can also remap your Dolphin hotkeys in new revisions.

You could ask 'em. I use Superdump to dump via wifi (slow).
Clean Rip will also do it but i cant get it to recognize my 16gig usb key

StevieP

Banned
mrklaw said:
is it plugged into some kind of custom port? Haven't looked closely at mine but it could just be a USB plug - in which case you might be able to use an extension cable to pull it out towards the front of your rack

I do not think the Asus P67 bluetooth adapters are removable. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As someone who've never tried this before I have a couple of questions.

1) Can I just stick my old cube games in my dvd drive and see if they are compatible? Is that how this works?

2) There seems to be a fuck ton of builds out there. What's the most stable and best one to download at the moment?

3) This thing have xbox 360 controller support?

Brettison said:
As someone who've never tried this before I have a couple of questions.

1) Can I just stick my old cube games in my dvd drive and see if they are compatible? Is that how this works?

2) There seems to be a fuck ton of builds out there. What's the most stable and best one to download at the moment?

3) This thing have xbox 360 controller support?
There's only a few DVD drives capable of reading Wii/GC discs and none of them are in production any more. The easiest way to dump your GC games is to use a Homebrewed Wii and run a program called CleanRip. Xbox 360 controllers will work.

jett

D-Member
jarosh said:
you're in luck: play it on your wii and it will all be rendered like that; their models are just being rendered at 480p there.

here (downscaled to 640x480, then re-stretched to 853x480 to compensate for anamorphic widescreen):

dkc480u9sh.jpg

:p

The models look much better than that on an actual Wii though. :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
nincompoop said:
There's only a few DVD drives capable of reading Wii/GC discs and none of them are in production any more. The easiest way to dump your GC games is to use a Homebrewed Wii and run a program called CleanRip. Xbox 360 controllers will work.

Thanks for the info!

Sadly the game I wanted to play won't work. The pal version runs fine but the NTSC version is borked. :(

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Wii said:
F-Zero GX
AX Cup

GFZE01-39.png

More here http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/mowmowimgs/fzero/

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz
ATi HD 5770
4GB RAM

Runs at full speed for the most part, unless there's a lot of geometry on screen (other racers or it's Port Town)
You have the exact specs of my gaming rig. Have you had a chance to get Last Story or Xenoblade yet? I really want to play those in HD but I'm new to Dolphin and don't know how to get them running at a steady 30fps. Xenoblade runs better than last story but still needs some fine tuning. Any suggestions on which video driver and settings that give the best performance?

Zeal

Banned
Dolphin is seriously gonna inspire Nintendo to make sure their next-gen system runs games like this. I swear.

that being said, i cannot wait until this is up and running properly on PS3. simply beautiful.

Red

Zeal said:
Dolphin is seriously gonna inspire Nintendo to make sure their next-gen system runs games like this. I swear.

that being said, i cannot wait until this is up and running properly on PS3. simply beautiful.
You'll be waiting a long time
/forever

Why For?

Banned
Probably a stupid question, but I'm sure Nintendo is aware of Dolphin, so what are the chances the next Nintendo home console will do this to Wii and Gamecube games?

Because if Nintendo were charitable enough to implement this tech into the next console, my lord, I would go back and buy sooooooooooooooooo many more Wii and Cube games just to see them in proper 1080p.

Top Bottom