• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
gregor7777 said:
Where is this Dolphin PS3 port talk coming from? Doesn't Dolphin require a beefy CPU/GPU?
Yes, some nut is trying to port the eninge to the PS3 despite the offical devlopers deaming it impossible to run well and not supporting or helping with it in the slightest. Not only is it already CPU heavy, it is built for x86 based processors, so while it is possible to get it running on a PS3, it will likely run really really poorly.

I do like how Dolphin does pass rendering to the GPU though, while PCSX2 does most of the rendering with the CPU. I also like how Dolphin doesn't need Gamecube Bios, and often has several revisions a day.

I mean, look at what PCSX2 wants from a GPU, and this is a current, upto date version.

Will work at a reasonable to very good level of speed with both plugins:

Geforce 6600 series and above (excluding above mentioned)
ATi Radeon X1300 series and above - need confirmation for X1300

Recommended VGA cards:

Nvidia Geforce 9600GT / 8800GT or better
ATI Radeon 4750 or better

Drkirby said:
Yes, some nut is trying to port the eninge to the PS3 despite the offical devlopers deaming it impossible to run well and not supporting or helping with it in the slightest. Not only is it already CPU heavy, it is built for x86 based processors, so while it is possible to get it running on a PS3, it will likely run really really poorly.

I do like how Dolphin does pass rendering to the GPU though, while PCSX2 does most of the rendering with the CPU. I also like how Dolphin doesn't need Gamecube Bios, and often has several revisions a day.

I mean, look at what PCSX2 wants from a GPU, and this is a current, upto date version.

I wish the guy luck. If you look at some of his other projects, they are emulator ports so at least he has the history.

Still, for some of the reasons you mentioned I can't see this happening.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The man ported an NES and a GBA emulator. Programing Hobiest often make working NES emulators as a fun exercise for learning assembly in comparason. The Gamecube and the Gameboy Advance are in different leagues of complexity.

Heck, his Google Code page is basically empty after two months to boot.

Drkirby said:
The man ported an NES and a GBA emulator. Programing Hobiest often make working NES emulators as a fun exercise for learning assembly in comparason. The Gamecube and the Gameboy Advance are in different leagues of complexity.

Heck, his Google Code page is basically empty after two months to boot

Yeah, that's what I commented on earlier.

The PS3 simply does not have the horsepower to emulate a system as complex as the Wii/Gamecube. Not in any useful fashion at least. And certainly not by wrapping x86 code.

He'd have to essentially rewrite the entire engine and even then work around the gimped hardware in the PS3. Not going to happen.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stallion Free said:
Also, why the fuck would anyone want to use the DualShock 3 for Gamecube games.
The Dualshock's analog sticks are actually a better then the ones in the 360 Controllers IMO. I have to set the deadzone to 360 controller analog sticks to about 25% due to the stick not returning to the center (And this is with testing 3 controllers of diffrent ages and wear, I think I could tighten it some but it needs at least a 15% deadzone), but the 360 Controller has better overall layout and supports rumble which I can't easily get with a Gamecube Controller on a PC.

syoaran

I have a feeling, now that I've ported more of my games to my PC - that the slow down and plugin failures are more to do with the emulator than my PC spec's. I can happily run any game at 720p at 30/60 fps/vps with no load stutter, but in Last Story the game creaks to a halt on almost any resolution.

Hopefully some sort of support will occur before a English version comes out, if any English version comes out. I'm not getting back to my house for another couple of months...

Platy

Stallion Free said:
Also, why the fuck would anyone want to use the DualShock 3 for Gamecube games.

DualShock3 for Cube i will never know, but a Dualshock2 for Wii* is insanely cheaper than a classic controler these days =P

*Well .. theoricaly if you use it with dolphin you could use with cube games too ... but it is easier to get a ps2 to usb =P

WillyFive

sfried said:
You should get a GC controller, and F-Zero GX.

I'm not saying I agree with them. I personally can't stand the Dual Shock, it's very uncomfortable, the D-Pad is terrible, the face buttons are too hard and too slow, and those 'wings' stab the center of my palms like knives. It's a very dated controller that it's only reason for existence was to find a way to get more button capacity than an N64 controller while at the same time still being compatible with older PS1 games.

But anyway, if your hand was adjusted to it, probably by playing Playstation systems more than the others, then I can see why it would be tough for some to get out of it and adjust to other controllers. After all, it has a ton of buttons, and it allows for proper 2D gaming with the D-Pad as the main input.

sfried

Haunted said:
I'm going to blacklist this thread now, Nintendo asking gamers to play in 480p in 2011 just makes me rage.
Err...what? I was just playing Lost in Shadow now on my HD. It didn't make me rage...

Except for that one level which made me kill 3 of those damn big spiders. Seriously.

Drkirby said:
After doing some reading, it seems Dolphin can Emulate Triforce Arcade games too, does any one have any shots from something like the Arcade Mario Kart game?
I don't think very many people here would have a Mario Kart Arcade machine, and even if you did, how are you supposed to rip from it?

desu

Prime Blue said:
Still blurry compared to your first two screenshots. Don't know which setting you've got wrong, though (it used to be the original resolution tab).

Resolution is now always correctly set, checked that...

edit:

What are you thinking about this one, I changed back to the opengl plugin (because thats really the only thing I changed since the very fist screen).

dolphin2011-02-0200-109fsi.jpg

Borman

cooljeanius said:
I don't think very many people here would have a Mario Kart Arcade machine, and even if you did, how are you supposed to rip from it?

They are GDRoms. Same way as Dreamcast or Naomi games.

desu

From todays play:

However TLS+Dolphin is giving me headaches, sometimes it runs well, then crappy then I have random errors with the game.

desu said:
What are you thinking about this one, I changed back to the opengl plugin (because thats really the only thing I changed since the very fist screen).
Now they're okay! Thanks for taking the time to make screenshots. :)

Zapages

what do you guys think how would Dolphin run on the following:

Option 1:
AMD Athlon™ II X2 P340 (2.2GHz/1MB cache)
4GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
ATI HD5450 Mobility RadeonTM
500GB4 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
Tray load CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Dell 1501 802.11 n wireless card

for

$441 + buying wireless keyboard/mouse

Option 2:
AMD Phenom™ II X4 P940 (1.7GHz/2MB cache)
6GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
750GB4 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
ATI HD5450 Mobility RadeonTM
Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo Drive (BD-ROM, DVD/CD Burner)
Dell 1520 802.11 b/g/n wireless card

for

$686 + buying wireless keyboard/mouse

JADS

Zapages said:
what do you guys think how would Dolphin run on the following:

If only for emulation pass on both. Laptops aren't that suitable for heavy emulation since they usually miss the raw power needed to run most games. You will be severely limited by the CPU on both of your choices. I think you will be able to run some games and even some 3D games (Tales of Symphonia 2, maybe NSMB) but games like Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda TP are out of the question.

Red

sam27368 said:
Aside from a few textures TLS could easily pass as a 360/PS3 game when it's running on Dolphin
It's certainly close, though the lighting leaves something to be desired. With some better effects it could easily best what we've got on PS360.

Textures are also a little muddy, but that's to be expected and certainly isn't poor by Wii standards.

Zapages

JADS said:
If only for emulation pass on both. Laptops aren't that suitable for heavy emulation since they usually miss the raw power needed to run most games. You will be severely limited by the CPU on both of your choices. I think you will be able to run some games and even some 3D games (Tales of Symphonia 2, maybe NSMB) but games like Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda TP are out of the question.

really. :( Are those specs worse than my current laptop:

Intel Core2 Duo P8400 2.26 Ghz
4 Gigs of Ram
Geforce 9600m GS

I am able to run NSMB and TvsC at 30 FPS on it... But I hope to play PoP The Forgotten Sands on it... But its too slow to run it. :(

Honestly I don't play that many games though so its mostly for my parents. Would you go with the first one or the second choice?

Those are Dell Zinos as well - something that is compact and light.

NotWii

Banned
Killer 7 works now!
Ikaruga has no sprite drawing problems!
Rogue Leader boots and almost gets to the first level, with a lot of problems
Rebel Strike boots but gets nowhere!

Maybe I should try to help fix up widescreen mode HUD, effects/frustrum culling in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Mario Sunshine...

bengraven

Weird; I can't get the left stick to work with MH3.

I'm emulating the classic controller with my wired 360 controller and every other button works but the left analog. Maybe because it's set as the Wiimote?

(fucks sake, I just need to get my BT dongle)

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm using a 360 controller and I'm trying to find a wii button mapping guide, does anyone know where I can find one? I failed at searching on google.

Dascu

Wii said:
Killer 7 works now!
Ikaruga has no sprite drawing problems!
Rogue Leader boots and almost gets to the first level, with a lot of problems
Rebel Strike boots but gets nowhere!

Maybe I should try to help fix up widescreen mode HUD, effects/frustrum culling in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Mario Sunshine...
It does? I get sound/music desync during cutscenes.

ferr

Haven't tried any Wii games on Dolphin before. Does Last Story require a wiimote or can it be played with keyboard/mouse? I get a message after the wiimote safety screen that just sits there, my guess is it's telling me it doesn't like my setup.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Looking at these LS screenshots makes me mad we probably won't get the game outside of Japan.

Dammit NOA. Do it.

Anony

ferr said:
Haven't tried any Wii games on Dolphin before. Does Last Story require a wiimote or can it be played with keyboard/mouse? I get a message after the wiimote safety screen that just sits there, my guess is it's telling me it doesn't like my setup.
why dont u put it into your wii and try it or check the manual cover
geez, make yourself obvious more

Took me forever to get HBC to run on my 4.3 version Wii, but I'd say it was worth it.

Dolphin%202011-02-04%2021-30-21-99.bmp

Dolphin%202011-02-02%2016-59-16-10.bmp

For the most part, games run at near full speed, though the cutscenes in a lot of them seem to run a bit slow.

Dascu

ferr said:
The game supports the Classic Controller. So, you can select that in your Wiimote configuration tab in Dolphin, and then map buttons to your keyboard (or Xbox360 controller).

Wii said:
Oh I skipped the cutscenes
But at least you can shoot enemies and get somewhere!
Killer7 is one of the few games with a good plot and well-directed cutscenes. I'd love to replay the game in Dolphin, but not without the cutscenes. :(

AceBandage said:
Only if you have like one of half a dozen out of circulation DVD drives.

So then I to have buy PSO or something then?

Well, fuck this emulation business then.

I also just found out my GC only has Composite so...fuck I'm pissed :/

So, I just found a speed hack for No More Heroes 2 that makes it run pretty much perfectly at 30FPS.

Copy and paste this into the User->GameConfig->REYE41 file

Code:
# RUYE41 - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
[Core] Values set here will override the main dolphin settings.
[SpeedHacks]
0x803c09b0=900
0x803c09c0=900
0x803c09b8=900
0x803c0ac4=900
0x803c0a28=900
0x803c0b20=900
0x803c08dc=900
[EmuState] The Emulation State. 1 is worst, 5 is best, 0 is not set.
EmulationIssues =
[OnFrame] Add memory patches to be applied every frame here.
[ActionReplay] Add action replay cheats here.
[Video]

Sorry if this is old!

Top Bottom