• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

itxaka said:
I got a (probably) stupid question.

Why does wii games look so good when upscaled but the gui is still blurry as hell? is this an emulator issue or you can't add AA/AF/SS to the gui elements?
Because your PC will be rendering the geometry at a higher resolution, but can only upscale the sprites which makes them blurry, some games seem to have high-res UI for some reason and look even better because of it.

Durante

itxaka said:
Why does wii games look so good when upscaled but the gui is still blurry as hell? is this an emulator issue or you can't add AA/AF/SS to the gui elements?
Because the GUI consists of 2D elements, and usually just textures and not vectors. There is a fixed amount of pixels in those, and rendering at a higher resolution won't change that amount.

The Wii actually has a surprisingly large number of games with high-res GUI elements (made for at least 720p), a fact that continues to be subject of "WiiHD" speculation.

JADS

Drkirby said:
Really? Where is this Demo, I want a copy, what store is giving them out.

The full game is 44 MB, its a Wiiware game. I believe a demo used to be available on the Nintendo Channel.

Brashnir

itxaka said:
I got a (probably) stupid question.

The emulator can render polygonal scenes at resolutions well above resolution of the Wii/GC is able to output.

Generally speaking, however, the static GUI elements are designed around that native Wii/GC resolution. There are some exceptions (NSMBWii for example) where the GUI assets are higher res, but usually they're locked in at a fairly low res.

This is the same reason that often objects will look sharp, but the textures on them will be low-res and blurry, since the textures are often low-res too. (Though this is less of an issue when the textures in question are farther from the camera)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, an Melee looks pretty cool with some Filters one:

GALE01-1.png

GALE01-14.png

GALE01-7.png

GALE01-11.png

GALE01-4.png

GALE01-10.png

GALE01-8.png

GALE01-12.png

GALE01-13.png

I really like how it looks with the first one, the "auto toon" filter, looks really nice in motion.

Zomba13

Ok, I think it's best for me to post this here maybe. I've got a bluetooth dongle for my PC and it works fine on my laptop. I plug it in, it works, syncs with my wiimote and everything fine. Problem is, I don't play dolphin on my laptop, and the only reason I have the bluetooth dongle is for dolphin.
Basically I think I've fucked up my bluetooth drivers on my PC mostly because my old (really old) bluetooth dongle was shit and had stupid driver stuff. Anyway, is there a way to completely uninstall all bluetooth drivers from my PC and just reinstall the Microsoft bluetooth stack (which is all the bluetooth stuff I have on my laptop)?

I figure I'd ask here just in case as I've googled and not really had much luck and have tried many different drivers. It's just annoying not being able to use my wiimote with dolphin.

stealth edit: Anyone able to get Nvidia 3D vision working on Dolphin? I see the option and when I put it on it just stops the keyboard from working and gives no 3D. The box has it's green light on though but I'm not getting 3D image. I've got the latest build btw. It hasn't worked right since aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
syoaran said:
The Last Story arrived this morning, quickly burnt and now testing it out. Gameplay runs smoothly with high settings, but I think my rig can't handle the ingame movies at 1080p so bringing it down some. Still, very nice.

Re-scaled the photo for the forums
Holy shit please do more and feel free to post the full size. Holy shit.

Nabs

Stallion Free said:
Sure, but it's not like people post screens super often.
Yeah, it's not like this thread is being spammed with pics. I don't know how 2 shots per post would benefit this thread.

More Last Story, please.

This might have been covered earlier in the thread, but i'm getting audio problems with Mario Galaxy 1. I hear no music, and then get some terrible screaching. First time usng Dolphin.

Shouta

Drkirby said:
What specs do you have Shouta?

Also, I find it annoying the Melee still doesn't run at a constant 60 FPS at 1080p with all the bells and whistles, I have to turn the graphics settings to 720p to get it running at a tight 60FPS.

Radeon 4870 and i5 right now. It was solid enough to run ToG on Dolphin most of the time, just I haven't messed with the settings in ages and TLS is coming out crappy right now.

syoaran

I've only started to get into the emu crowd again, so I'm running this off default settings. I'm loading from the OpenGL plugin rather than any DXplug because it doesn't want to load at the moment. Downloading the DX SDK will hopefully fix the situation there as last time I checked (and that was a while ago), it slows down PC's no-end.

Getting about 24fps on average, which is not enough to keep up with this game. Cutscenes routinely lag out and crash at this stage, so it might be the emulator rather than the hardware I'm running on (i5 OC to 3.3, 4gigs DDR3, SSD, geforce480).

If anyone has any tips or basic runthoughs for how to tweak my play settings to get to 30fps all the time, I'd appreciate it.

Got some new screens reduced to 720p for better playtime: (and hosting close to full-size on request, Mod's don't shoot me please). I've reduced to 2x AA, but its having a minimal impact on how far I scale it at the moment.

5399001168_12db776296_o.jpg

5398398407_1ddf7ab9c9_o.jpg

5399000556_86a3874612_o.jpg

5399000316_7717dfb5ed_o.jpg

IrishNinja

jesus, TLS looks gorgeous. is there a fan translation project going for that one? please say yes.
also: desu, what're your specs? mine are close enough to syoaran's, so im curious.

desu

IrishNinja said:
also: desu, what're your specs? mine are close enough to syoaran's, so im curious.

i5 2500k@4,5ghz
275gtx
8gb ram

Also unlocked the new main screen, no wonder the gooch loves this one:
dolphin2011-01-3014-03tit2.jpg

dolphin2011-01-3014-03sexh.jpg

syoaran

IrishNinja said:
jesus, TLS looks gorgeous. is there a fan translation project going for that one? please say yes.

I don't think there will be. The amount of dialogue in this game is insane. I'm not sure how on earth they fit it into the DVD, because its just endless. Every fight, every room has streams of new dialogue going all the time. It's one of the better RPG's in that respect, with the VA being very spontaneous and quite funny.

Looking at Desu's spec's, I guess I really need to down-rez the game to get it functioning correctly at this stage. Which is a shame, because some of the game scales very well.

syoaran said:
I don't think there will be. The amount of dialogue in this game is insane. I'm not sure how on earth they fit it into the DVD, because its just endless. Every fight, every room has streams of new dialogue going all the time. It's one of the better RPG's in that respect, with the VA being very spontaneous and quite funny.

I'm guessing it's a dual layer DVD. Plus it seems the texture quality suffered a bit as a result. If only the textures were a little higher quality.

desu

Cow Mengde said:
I'm guessing it's a dual layer DVD. Plus it seems the texture quality suffered a bit as a result. If only the textures were a little higher quality.

Normal DVD5 with about ~12.600 sound files.

desu said:
Normal DVD5 with about ~12.600 sound files.

What? It's a normal DVD? Oh come on, why'd they have to cheap out like that? A dual layer DVD wouldn't cost them extra. The extra 4 gigs could have been used for some sexy high res textures.

desu

Prime Blue said:
There's something wrong with your settings, these are upscaled screenshots.

Eh, you're correct. I screwed something up when I updated my version.

Anyway more random screens:

sam27368

Banned
Epic Mickey - Playing at 1080p - Seems to encounter some slowdown and the music will occasionally cut out. If you want to play through this game as it was intended, I suggest waiting until the emulator is better.

fjdzB.jpg

njOsC.jpg

jr9B9.jpg

kpL6f.jpg

aH5vM.jpg

Thoraxes

desu said:
Anyway more random screens:
Which build are you currently using? I'm away from my computer, but I think as of last I was using 6887 and I was getting some weird errors where everybody had no legs and an immense amount of slowdown/slowing down/speeding up.

My computer is fine, and i've ran everything else perfectly fine in 1080p.

sweeet i found a spare SD card in a box of my wife unmentionables while i was looking for some benedryl or nyquil. Will try and softmod my wii tonight.
Got my i52500k up to 4.6ghz should run like butter.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
After doing some reading, it seems Dolphin can Emulate Triforce Arcade games too, does any one have any shots from something like the Arcade Mario Kart game?

desu said:
I would recommend using something from 6946 or before if you are having problems and isn't just you forgot to change the resolution, since the last few day they have been doing a major overhaul to the plugins and incorporating the code directly into Dolphin.

xero273

oh now I get what you are doing. I don't think that is going to work.

Stallion Free said:

I don't understand why you would want to do that.

he wants have cfw on the ps3 and at the same time be able to use netflix.

Top Bottom