• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Nabs

Drkirby said:
Hey, is there anything I could adjust if a FMV cut scene in a game is going really slowly? I want to see how well Mega Man Network Transmission would be, but the cut scene is taking forever (And is unskippable), I am getting a 60FPS reading but the scene looks more like its going at 1FPS.

Edit: Turned off the sound, waited 25 minutes for the full cut scene to roll, and the game locked up. Looks like I am not playing that game today.

they say the fmv issue should be fixed in r6880. if not, try going all the way back to r4797

Haunted

JADS said:
EFB to texture and thus scaled copy is sadly broken in that game. Graphics are upscaled from their native resolution and don't look that hot.
What a pity. :/
sam27368 said:
Sin & Punishment 2 is giving me this strange anomaly, any ideas?
Looks like you divided by zero.

sam27368

Banned
Little Kings Story - I used a Photoshop batch command to resize and save for web, this also adds a sharpen filter on automatically. So if the images look very sharp, that is why.

:EDIT: A lot of the sharpening seems to have been lost in the upload so it doesn't look too different from the game.

wtpsI.jpg

U9vpO.jpg

Nabs

if you want to remove a bit of that blur filter, you can right click the game and choose the "Skies of..." patch in the drop down menu. If you need any speedup, you can enable displaylist cache.

You might want to switch from imgur in the future. Abload is a great alternative that won't ruin your pics.

sam27368

Banned
Nabs said:
if you want to remove a bit of that blur filter, you can right click the game and choose the "Skies of..." patch in the drop down menu. If you need any speedup, you can enable displaylist cache.

You might want to switch from imgur in the future. Abload is a great alternative that won't ruin your pics.
Fantastic thanks,
Here's one of Epic Mickey

seme4q-2byyw.jpg

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
sam27368 said:
Little Kings Story - I used a Photoshop batch command to resize and save for web, this also adds a sharpen filter on automatically. So if the images look very sharp, that is why.

:EDIT: A lot of the sharpening seems to have been lost in the upload so it doesn't look too different from the game.

http://i.imgur.com/wtpsI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U9vpO.jpg

Awesome pictures.

This reminds me of how amazing Little King's Story is. One of my favourite games this gen.

Wow, this is some amazing stuff.

I recently built a pretty nice computer and I've been dying to replay Twilight Princess, but my Wii refuses to read the disc for some reason.

Seems like the next logical step is...

sam27368

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
Wow, this is some amazing stuff.

I recently built a pretty nice computer and I've been dying to replay Twilight Princess, but my Wii refuses to read the disc for some reason.

Seems like the next logical step is...

Twilight Princess seems to have been a benchmarking game for the emulator itself so it runs pretty nicely.

sam27368

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
I demand MOAR of this sir!
please!
If I can get over the absymal camera in this game then I'll grab some more

I love Disney so much so I can forgive the camera <3

Rich!

Any tips on getting Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 working? My GC disc is scratched to hell, and I'd love to get it working on Dolphin, but no matter what options I try, its all fucked up.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
bee said:
this emulator is liking my 2500k@4.4ghz :D i don't have many games but all gamecube games run 1080p, 4xaa, 16xaf @ 60fps and even super mario galaxy runs 99% of the time at 60, lowest i've seen it drop was when you fly and land in the galaxy, when it dropped to 57 :D these chips are awesome

Wow, time to get a new cooler and ditch the stock one!

Eiji

bee said:
this emulator is liking my 2500k@4.4ghz :D i don't have many games but all gamecube games run 1080p, 4xaa, 16xaf @ 60fps and even super mario galaxy runs 99% of the time at 60, lowest i've seen it drop was when you fly and land in the galaxy, when it dropped to 57 :D these chips are awesome

Good enough to ditch a real Wii? :D

bee

Eiji said:
Good enough to ditch a real Wii? :D

yes, performance is ridiculous really coming from my old Q9550, the games are all 100% playable although some obviously have emulation issues, if you can put up with these then go for it. gonna get donkey kong this week i think, that game looks so good :)

couple of random shots, taken at 1080p and resized to 720p for forum use

kartmxyz.jpg

foxmz6s.jpg

MYE

MNC said:
That can't be the real mario kart :O Holy shit! That's.... insane.

I always said Mario Kart Wii was a very good looking game. That screen doesnt surprise me at all.

Oh and moar Epic Mickey please.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nabs said:
they say the fmv issue should be fixed in r6880. if not, try going all the way back to r4797
Well, I was using 6893, so assuming they didn't rebreak it in less then 48 hours, I'll try that 4797.

Edit: Not working for me with r6880 ether, but it does work fine in r4789. Watch cut scene, save, and now I can play in r6893, yay!

On anther note, Super Paper Mario runs really well on my computer, very rarely would it dip below 60 FPS and I think the lowest it went down to in an hour of "game play" (Advancing though text upon text up text) was 50 during some effects with Bleck showing up.

Here is a shot in 720p, no AA though since I need a better Video Card still:

papermario720.png

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Nice! I got running New Super Mario Bros with the config at the first page and it looks gorgeous. Also, i synced my Wiimote to my PC using the built in blutooth adapter in my Asus P8P67 mobo :D

The game is fully playable, but doesn't run at full speed all the time, with some noticeable drops at 95% (2500k @stock 3,3ghz).

syoaran

Controller recommendations for a first time emulator? Mainly nintendo first party games here to convert now ~. very much looking forward to play galaxy2 in hd ~

mrklaw

MrArseFace
christ on a bike mario kart looks amazing. What specs other than an i5 2500k? Would an i7 2600k be even better? Any specific GPU? Was considering a gentle gaming PC build with a 460GTX as i'm not a heavy PC gamer, but if this will let me ditch the wii it'd be brilliant.

(BTW, does it just run wii games direct off disc? Can I rip them like on my USB loader? I guess gamecube games would need to be ripped due to the size of the discs)

And can you use wii controllers etc completely fine?

MYE

Emonga said:
Great argument. So eloquent and insightful.

Let me elaborate, Super Paper Mario is not a bad looking game by any stretch of the imagination and someone calling it crude makes me wonder if there's something terribly wrong with their eyesight.

How's that?

I could also post screenshots:

933012_20070330_screen031.jpg
933012_20070427_790screen003.jpg

shot_10_605.jpg
1746-Super-Paper-Mario-Wii-15.jpg

superpapermario3.jpg
super-paper-mario--20070403050816075_640w.jpg

But hey, opinions and all that.

EDIT: Someone make an appretiation thread. I really wanna post more pretty pics lol

joesmokey

I'm debating on setting this up for my PC since I just upgraded my graphics card.

Before getting all the Wii supplies, how would this perform on a Q6600 (OC'd to 3.4GHz) and a GTX 570? Would I be able to run most games pretty well, or do you need a CPU over 4GHz?

I might try testing it on a couple of GameCube games first.

Chairhome

joesmokey said:
I'm debating on setting this up for my PC since I just upgraded my graphics card.

Before getting all the Wii supplies, how would this perform on a Q6600 (OC'd to 3.4GHz) and a GTX 570? Would I be able to run most games pretty well, or do you need a CPU over 4GHz?

I might try testing it on a couple of GameCube games first.
I would just try it. The emulator is pretty straight forward, it seems. I just downloaded it but was able to start into a game pretty easily. if you have a gamepad, you can set it as a gamecube controller and it should work fine. Try either a GC game or a game that doesn't require the IR sensor.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How much does Dolphin use the GPU? I know the PS2 emulator the CPU does almost all the work, but for Dolphin should I see any significant speed boost from upgrading from a GeForce 9500 GT to a GeForce 460GTX?

Speaking of eyesight, is something wrong with mine if I can tell absolutely no difference between no Anti-Aliasing and 9xSSAA? I even took screen shots in the exact same place and compared them and I can't see a difference. I must be doing it wrong.

JADS

Drkirby said:
How much does Dolphin use the GPU? I know the PS2 emulator the CPU does almost all the work, but for Dolphin should I see any significant speed boost from upgrading from a GeForce 9500 GT to a GeForce 460GTX?

You might see a speedup if you use certain settings by upgrading ( say 4xSSAA + integral efb scaling). Dolphin, just like PCSX2, benefits more from a faster CPU though.

VivaciousSoul said:
Speaking of eyesight, is something wrong with mine if I can tell absolutely no difference between no Anti-Aliasing and 9xSSAA? I even took screen shots in the exact same place and compared them and I can't see a difference. I must be doing it wrong.

Yes ;)
Post your screenshots

syoaran

5397324073_fe7293be3f_b.jpg

The Last Story arrived this morning, quickly burnt and now testing it out. Gameplay runs smoothly with high settings, but I think my rig can't handle the ingame movies at 1080p so bringing it down some. Still, very nice.

Re-scaled the photo for the forums

Jesus what's up with Jett Rocket? I just got off playing Banjo Nuts and Bolts and somehow JR seriously reminds me of it. Game looks good.

Nabs

I tried the Jett demo and it runs and looks great. Gameplay reminded me of something you'd find on the N64. I can't see myself paying full price for it.

Shouta

syoaran said:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5397324073_fe7293be3f_b.jpg

The Last Story arrived this morning, quickly burnt and now testing it out. Gameplay runs smoothly with high settings, but I think my rig can't handle the ingame movies at 1080p so bringing it down some. Still, very nice.

Re-scaled the photo for the forums

What version and settings are you using? Tried doing it with mine and I'm not getting it quite as smooth as I'd want.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What specs do you have Shouta?

Also, I find it annoying the Melee still doesn't run at a constant 60 FPS at 1080p with all the bells and whistles, I have to turn the graphics settings to 720p to get it running at a tight 60FPS.

itxaka

Defeatist
I got a (probably) stupid question.

Why does wii games look so good when upscaled but the gui is still blurry as hell? is this an emulator issue or you can't add AA/AF/SS to the gui elements?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lettuce said:
Could some kind soul point me to an ebay auction (UK) for the cheapest bluetooth device that works with the Wiimote?
I just used Amazon in the US to get one. $5 shipped with Prime, came in 2 Days. Anything will work, but one thing to note that I over looked, you will likely want a wireless sensor bar too. Sure, you can do Hybrid mode to use the mouse for the pointer, but it is a bit annoying to do.

Why does wii games look so good when upscaled but the gui is still blurry as hell? is this an emulator issue or you can't add AA/AF/SS to the gui elements?
Most games GUI's are 2D images, AA and AF don't do anything to them. The people who make Dolphin could try to add in some SaI or Super Eagle 2D filter like the Super Nintendo Emulators have, but I am pretty sure that effects the entire picture and not the individual elements.

Top Bottom