• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Coldsnap said:
How can you configure the xbox 360 wireless controller so the sticks are not so sensitive. If I'm moving my character and let off the stick sometimes it will still slowly move my character. All my xbox 360 sticks have this problem on Dolphin and some PC games with sensitive inputs.
Yeah, the 360 joysticks are huge pieces of shit. You have to go to the controller config screen and increase the deadzone to like 20 or 25% to keep the stick neutral.

Coldsnap

nincompoop said:
Yeah, the 360 joysticks are huge pieces of shit. You have to go to the controller config screen and increase the deadzone to like 20 or 25% to keep the stick neutral.

ah cool. thanks!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So I just downloaded dolphin, but I have no games yet so I can't try, but I'm abit puzzled at the resolution options.

There's one resolution for "fullscreen resolution"
Then there's one for the output resolution? The one with resolutions like 2x native, 4x native, 2560x2112 and so on. What is this?

Also, when does the SSAA come in to play? I mean why not just have it render at 2560x2112 or w/e and then downsample to 1080p? Would that even work? Is there a reason to go 4x/9xSSAA instead of just upping the resolution?

Gvaz

Banned
Corky said:
So I just downloaded dolphin, but I have no games yet so I can't try, but I'm abit puzzled at the resolution options.

Then there's one for the output resolution? The one with resolutions like 2x native, 4x native, 2560x2112 and so on. What is this?

Also, when does the SSAA come in to play? I mean why not just have it render at 2560x2112 or w/e and then downsample to 1080p? Would that even work? Is there a reason to go 4x/9xSSAA instead of just upping the resolution?
There is the resolution of the window, then there is the resolution of the game. The games are just some x480 or less in resolution, so it multiplies that however that works. So if you have something smaller than 2560x2112 if you put it that rendered res you essentially get a downscaled image.

Also ignore the SSGA or whatever option in the graphics settings, even the most beefiest of cards/cpus can't really handle most games at 4x res with even 4xsgaa or w/e

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gvaz said:
There is the resolution of the window, then there is the resolution of the game. The games are just some x480 or less in resolution, so it multiplies that however that works. So if you have something smaller than 2560x2112 if you put it that rendered res you essentially get a downscaled image.

Also ignore the SSGA or whatever option in the graphics settings, even the most beefiest of cards/cpus can't really handle most games at 4x res with even 4xsgaa or w/e

I see, but what will happen with the aspect ratio if an output res of 2560x2112 gets downscaled to 1080p?

edit : thanks for the answers gvaz and gblues =)

gblues

Banned
Corky said:

The fullscreen resolution is simply the resolution it uses when it goes fullscreen. I.e. if you choose 640x480, it will switch your monitor to 640x480 mode.

The other setting is the internal resolution, which controls the resolution that Dolphin actually renders at.

So, if you have full screen resolution set to 1024x768 and the internal resolution set to 1x, then it takes the internal 640x480 image and scales it up to 1024x768 (which is basically the same thing your TV does with real Wii output). If you set the internal resolution at 4x, it renders the Wii output at 2560x1920 and then scales that down to 1024x768, which not only looks awesome but provides a little free AA at the same time due to the downscaling.

Magnus

So, I've got a PC from 2008, and the specs are pretty archaic by most standards people are posting of their rigs from this thread.

Miraculously, Xenoblade seems to actually run quite well, without even too much tinkering in settings. I do get some framerate drops and slowdown in larger areas though, dropping to about 20 fps. Game looks absolutely brilliant though. The IQ is just plain fucking excellent.

However, I'd much rather find a way to drop the overall IQ a little to get a more stable framerate. I'm just totally technologically inept, and I'm not sure what I should change to achieve this result.

Can I post the basic stats of my old ass rig and see if you all have suggestions for what I could do to improve/lock the framerate, even if it sacrifices a bit of IQ?

Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0ghz
GeForce 8800 GT (512mb, I think?)
2GB RAM

Diablos

Magnus said:
So, I've got a PC from 2008, and the specs are pretty archaic by most standards people are posting of their rigs from this thread.

Miraculously, Xenoblade seems to actually run quite well, without even too much tinkering in settings. I do get some framerate drops and slowdown in larger areas though, dropping to about 20 fps. Game looks absolutely brilliant though. The IQ is just plain fucking excellent.

However, I'd much rather find a way to drop the overall IQ a little to get a more stable framerate. I'm just totally technologically inept, and I'm not sure what I should change to achieve this result.

Can I post the basic stats of my old ass rig and see if you all have suggestions for what I could do to improve/lock the framerate, even if it sacrifices a bit of IQ?

Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0ghz
GeForce 8800 GT (512mb, I think?)
2GB RAM
Nice.

I have a Core 2 Quad, but it's at 2.33GHz with 4GB of DDR2 and Win7 x64. Since Dolphin only uses two cores, I'm basically running a C2D-based Pentium when I play games on it. I can't OC my CPU to 2.8GHz -- well, I can, but it gets too hot which sucks, since that is pretty close to the 3.0GHz mark. That seems to be the magic number for proper emulation of Wii games.

I need a better GPU. I wonder if getting something like a GTX 450/550 would offset my lack of clock speed considering your GPU appears to be the bigger bottleneck. I really don't wanna spend the money if my CPU will still make the game run poorly.

Granted, I don't need all the visual enhancements seen in this thread. I could just run it at my monitor's native res with basic enhancements -- I'm sure it would still look better than Wii on a SDTV.

Just for fun, I tried running XB at the lowest res, windowed, and it ran at 7fps max with my Radeon HD 3600. :lol

Blah, I dunno what to do. Hoping someone with a similar CPU and better GPU can give me some info. For reference, my CPU with only two cores is the Pentium E5200 basically (with 4MB cache instead of 2).

Magnus

Alright, I misspoke earlier. I'm actually always at 19-20 fps, with the emulator reporting that I'm running at 70-75% speed, at all times. What I don't understand is, this is constant regardless of where I am in the game, or what I'm doing, and changing resolution around doesn't help or hinder this one bit. So I'm thinking, I may as well stay at the highest resolution possible and tinker with other settings to try and improve the framerate. Is that the right way to go about this?

Datschge

Magnus said:
What I don't understand is, this is constant regardless of where I am in the game, or what I'm doing, and changing resolution around doesn't help or hinder this one bit. So I'm thinking, I may as well stay at the highest resolution possible and tinker with other settings to try and improve the framerate. Is that the right way to go about this?
Yes. The GPU is not the bottleneck, your CPU is. So you can make the frames look as nice as possible, improving the rate will be more difficult (maybe consider overclocking, but 30 fps likely will be impossible to achieve on that PC).

Diablos

Datschge said:
Yes. The GPU is not the bottleneck, your CPU is. So you can make the frames look as nice as possible, improving the rate will be more difficult (maybe consider overclocking, but 30 fps likely will be impossible to achieve on that PC).
So it's basically impossible on mine too.

Fuuuuuuuck.

I wonder if future versions of Dolphin will end up supporting 4 cores?

I know it's emulation, but given the simplicity of Wii hardware it's pretty amazing that even some Sandy Bridge machines are struggling to get nice performance without OCIng/tweaking.

Datschge

Emulation is not "simple" at all. A GC/Wii emulator might be doable in a significantly more efficient way on a Power PC based system though.

Diablos said:
So it's basically impossible on mine too.

Fuuuuuuuck.

I wonder if future versions of Dolphin will end up supporting 4 cores?

I know it's emulation, but given the simplicity of Wii hardware it's pretty amazing that even some Sandy Bridge machines are struggling to get nice performance without OCIng/tweaking.
The biggest bottleneck in emulation is emulating the CPU, so if its a single core CPU thats being emulated, you may get a bump from dual core support as the GPU/Input/Networking/misc stuff can be handled by one core and the CPU will take up the other core. But you can't split that CPU's emulation onto multiple cores. So you probably wouldn't benefit from quad core support when emulating a single core CPU.

Magnus

Datschge said:

Gotcha.

Now, I tried re-enabling Idle Skipping however, and the framerate and game speed have shot back up to 90-100%, dipping to 80 in battles, and the game's totally playable again.

But all the sound issues (garbled tracks after 30 seconds) and audio skipping creep back in.

So I guess my CPU can reasonably handle the game/visuals, but not coupled with Xenoblade's complex sound....Guess I can't have both.

:(

Any possibilities I can try, or is the only way to fix the game's sound problems to disable Idle Skipping?

I'm very tempted at this point to just give up and play the game perfectly back on the Wii, sans HD visuals. Alas. :(

Diablos

Datschge said:
Emulation is not "simple" at all. A GC/Wii emulator might be doable in a significantly more efficient way on a Power PC based system though.
I realize that -- I said given the simplicity of Wii's hardware (2001-2002 tech) it's amazing even the most high end machines often struggle to emulate, given all the advancements modern CPU's have made.

I'm either getting a laptop or building a new machine -- if I pass on a laptop, would an i7 do a lot better than an i5 with Dolphin and XB or is an i5 Sandy Bridge ok? I'd rather not OC.

Gvaz

Banned
Datschge said:
Power PC cpus haven't been relevant for years.

DMPrince said:
how do i keep my 360 controller from unsynching or how do i resynch it back up?
Alt+F5 or whatever your setup is on. Alternatively alt tab to the dolphin window and go to Tools and click connect wiimote 1

Gvaz said:
for home computers, only.

They're still widely spread out and sold for other appliances, and they're being actively developed, they're not dead like MIPS.

Datschge

Diablos said:
I realize that -- I said given the simplicity of Wii's hardware (2001-2002 tech) it's amazing even the most high end machines often struggle to emulate, given all the advancements modern CPU's have made.
It doesn't matter how old or "simple" (which is in the eyes of beholder) a system is, what matter is whether an emulated system can be easily mapped to the native system trying to emulate it. GC/Wii graphics are rather easy to map by now, Power PC instructions and the whole timing between all the system parts is not.

Gvaz said:
That's why they are used on servers and on all the current consoles. The only place where it became irrelevant are PC style systems where IBM apparently though that the minuscule amount of units sold by Apple don't warrant all the R&D necessary to keep it bleeding edge they way Apple wanted.

Medalion

Banned
I am not even remotely familiar with that game or storyline but those screenshots suggest something really big and important is being shown there, spoiler that :p

Gvaz said:

Alt+F5 or whatever your setup is on. Alternatively alt tab to the dolphin window and go to Tools and click connect wiimote 1
oh cool.

anyways. i ended up tweaking the settings you had and got a really stable 30fps. it may rarely dip below that i guess but otherwise it stays at 30fps. no crashes and sound issue! so good.

Durante

Actually, considering that historically, it was usually assumed that you need a ~10x increase in clock rate to fully emulate a system, it's pretty impressive that dolphin runs at full speed on 3.4 GHz CPUs. Obviosly there's a huge difference in complexity between an i7 core and the simplified Power core in the Wii, but it's still a very impressive pirce of software.

What am I doing wrong? I am using these settings for Dolphin and I was able to play Xenoblade just fine, but Wind Waker keeps messing up on me (specifically when I get to
the bridge cutscene where your sister gets taken away
, at the start of the game). It stays at a black screen after that cutscene and the load time when I start up the game can take quite a while at times (tested vs running the game on my Wii).

Gvaz

Banned
I don't even know why you spoilered that at the beginning of the game, it's been out for years and it's not even that big of a deal.

Also iirc check "Disable fog". I might be remembering wrong.

Gvaz said:
I don't even know why you spoilered that at the beginning of the game, it's been out for years and it's not even that big of a deal.

Also iirc check "Disable fog". I might be remembering wrong.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see if it helps.

Edit: Nope, same problem. I should have said, instead of crashing, that it stays at a black screen after the cutscene. Also, sometimes the load time to start up the game can take quite a while (tested vs running the game on my Wii).

For your first part: I just generally tend to spoiler tag anything if I'm talking about specific scenes from a game, no matter how minor they are or old the game is.

Coldsnap

Need help: was playing a game with my xbox 360 controller, took a bathroom break and returned to "Communications with the Wii Remote have been interrupted" message. I'm guessing my controller fell asleep.. The thing is though inputting buttons isn't removing the message. Whats the fix?

oh awesome alt+f5 did something to fix it.

gblues

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see if it helps.

Edit: Nope, same problem. I should have said, instead of crashing, that it stays at a black screen after the cutscene. Also, sometimes the load time to start up the game can take quite a while (tested vs running the game on my Wii).

For your first part: I just generally tend to spoiler tag anything if I'm talking about specific scenes from a game, no matter how minor they are or old the game is.

Which version are you running? 3.0 or one of the SVN/git builds?

Synless

My Macbook freaked out in windows mode the other day and I had to reformat the drive and reinstall windows on it. I redownloaded Dolphin and went to start it and I keep getting this error,"The program can't start because XINPUT1_3.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem". I have reinstalled, tried different versions and no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Synless said:
My Macbook freaked out in windows mode the other day and I had to reformat the drive and reinstall windows on it. I redownloaded Dolphin and went to start it and I keep getting this error,"The program can't start because XINPUT1_3.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem". I have reinstalled, tried different versions and no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
download directx.

gblues said:
That's one of the last builds from SVN before the project moved to git. Here's a build of the newest revision.

http://www.multiupload.com/NUW9BC626W
Thanks, this fixed my loading lockup issue, but now I have a graphics issue I can't resolve. It has a hazy look to it now.

This is what the game looked like on r7714:

Here is what it looks like with the same settings in the one you linked:

(Click for full size on all the pics)

Medalion

Banned
That stupid field of blur keeps coming back, there is a trick to turning it off but it keeps changing in some of these releases

Medalion said:
That stupid field of blur keeps coming back, there is a trick to turning it off but it keeps changing in some of these releases
I fixed it by changing the EFB Copies setting (under Hacks) from Texture to RAM with Enable Cache checked as well. I just rechecked the scene that was causing it to not load before and it still works so
e5010321.gif

Chinner

Banned
Medalion said:
Oh! is this why Wind Waker looks blurry sometimes for some reason?

Medalion

Banned
Chinner said:
Oh! is this why Wind Waker looks blurry sometimes for some reason?
Yes, it was a field of view blurring technique used even in the original Gamecube version but somehow with the emulation, they have a way to turn that blurring filter technique off

Chinner

Banned
how do you update dolphin anyway? do you just c/p it in? dont want to lose my controller and settings configs : (. currently on 7714.

Two quick questions:

- If I want to keep my Wii saves from my previous version I was using, do I just copy the whole User\Wii folder? The GC one was easy to find the mem card file.

- Is it possible to copy a save to an SD card so I can import / export saves between my Wii and PC?

Top Bottom