• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Evershade

Is there an easy way to remove HUD elements from within the dolphin settings. Would like to capture some Xenoblade battle shots without all the text/icons.

allday247

Banned
I have been running Xenoblade on this for my desktop PC and it runs smooth and well. (Q9550 @ 3.8ghz, 4gb ram).

I would like to know if dolphin will run well on my Asrock Vision 3D 156B (Intel Core i5-560M Mobile Processor Intel HM55 NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M)?
I would love to run dolphin while it's hooked up to my plasma screen!

Gvaz

Banned
Hitoribhoshi said:
isn't AA, aniso and native resolution to 2x/4x resolution done by the GPU? the cpu is pretty much just rendering the game at 480p+sound+i/o, no?
That's why I said almost meaningless. doing regular AA (not SSAA) and AF is cheap though on most any graphics card.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm not sure about increasing native res being loaded to the graphics card. Possibly. I don't see much fps change unless I put it to 2x instead of 4x but I don't think it's because of my graphics card, I never hear the fan on my noisy 4890 though.

So for all of you saying "You need a 3.2GHz minimum CPU to run Xenoblade!!!"

I am coming back and saying LIES!

I just installed Bootcamp again on my 2011, 2.0GHz 15" Macbook Pro, and it runs pretty consistently at 30fps with the XTEmu build.

Gvaz

Banned
It depends on the processor. I have a mobility i7 in my laptop that maxes out at 2ghz and it's almost (about 75% if that) as good as my oc'd phenom 2 x3 720

Mr. Wonderful said:
So for all of you saying "You need a 3.2GHz minimum CPU to run Xenoblade!!!"

I am coming back and saying LIES!

I just installed Bootcamp again on my 2011, 2.0GHz 15" Macbook Pro, and it runs pretty consistently at 30fps with the XTEmu build.
at native res or just 480p?

Gvaz

Banned
Anabuhabkuss said:
Can Xenoblade be ripped onto a SD card to transfer to PC/Dolphin? If so, how big of a card would I need?
like about as much as a DL dvd holds, so more in case of formatting. 16GB SD cards are pretty cheap on newegg.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If the software used to rip it gets rid of the filler data you could use an 8GB card, the game is under 7GB according to the USB loader.

at native res or just 480p?
CPU speed shouldn't matter there, resolution and AA will rely on your GPU. Interesting that it works fine though, no audio crackling or anything?

Question for anyone that uses Pinnacle Game Profiler - is there a way to edit the sensitivity of the Wiimote's IR pointing through that program? I want to mess with Dolphin some on my PC so I've been trying it in other games and holy CRAP it is all over the place, like a centimeter of movement sends the cursor flying, even if I turn down mouse sensitivity in the game.

jediyoshi

HisshouBuraiKen said:
Question for anyone that uses Pinnacle Game Profiler - is there a way to edit the sensitivity of the Wiimote's IR pointing through that program? I want to mess with Dolphin some on my PC so I've been trying it in other games and holy CRAP it is all over the place, like a centimeter of movement sends the cursor flying, even if I turn down mouse sensitivity in the game.

Lower the IR sensitivity option in Dolphin?

suikodan

I just began using Dolphin and I'd like to know if each game can have its own configuration (gfx and/or controls) - like a profile - or if I need a separate Dolphin folder for each game?

suikodan

Anabuhabkuss said:
So, question (yeah, I know. another one?)

I have homebrew set up, external harddrive, backed some games on it (IOS248, dx2, "fat" formatted harddrive and using cfg).

Now, if I understand it, the rips are in wbfs. Do i have to convert them to ISOs? Or am I supposed to give cfg instructions to rip as ISOs from the gro-go? Would this mean I have to re-install/re-rip the games again?

Just trying to figure out how to get them moved to Dolphin.

I greatly appreciate the help.

Use Wii Backup Manager to convert your wbfs files to ISOs for use with Dolphin.

Gvaz

Banned
The rips are only in wbfs if that's what you formatted the drive as. But it's not so much in "wbfs" but the filesystem sort of auto scrubs the padding in the disk image.

You don't have to convert anything. If the drive is in ntfs or fat32, just copy them over. If it's in WBFS, you have to use pretty much any wbfs program to move them over.

Here's an example:
http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/iso/wbfs-managers

I think there's others elsewhere on google if you look.

dani_dc

Anabuhabkuss said:
Edit: I have no idea what I'm doing with Wii backup manager. I'm following these steps to a T. When I get to step 3, it tells me that "some selected items already exist".

If I click transfer>ISO... it converts but I can't find the file anywhere.
That method seems to be creating the ISO's in some specific place, search for the name of the ISO to see where they are.

Honestly I just ignore the Driver step, I go to step 2, choose the folder where the games are and then choose which game(s) to trasnsfer, then when I click "transfer>ISO" it asks me where I want the file to go, I choose the location and it creates an ISO on that location.

Gvaz

Banned
you don't need a config, just connect your 360 controller and set it to the gamepad which should show up in the left dropdown and start editing it yourself

Thrakier

Hey guys, I want to buy a new notebook, mainly for office but also for some wii emulation. Would one of those two suffice?

This one:
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/621235
HP Pavilion dv6-6002eg (LH770EA)

Or this dell:
Dell Vostro 3550, 15,6"-Display (1366x768 Pixel), Core i3-2310M, 4 GiB DDR3-RAM, Radeon HD 6630M with 1024 MiB DDR3-RAM

Running @native resolution?

gblues

Banned
I would stay away from HP or Dell just because they are shitty laptops. The other problem is that the cpu throttling is murder on emulation, so remember to disable that if possible.

Thrakier

gblues said:
I would stay away from HP or Dell just because they are shitty laptops. The other problem is that the cpu throttling is murder on emulation, so remember to disable that if possible.

Woah, first time I'm hearing this. I'm a HP notebook user for years now and I really love it, worked perfectly all the time. Which manufactur would you suggest?

gblues

Banned
Thrakier said:
Woah, first time I'm hearing this. I'm a HP notebook user for years now and I really love it, worked perfectly all the time. Which manufactur would you suggest?
ASUS and Toshiba, or Apple. I know Asus has some decent gaming-class models.

epmode

So I'm about to start a Xenoblade playthrough on Dolphin but I noticed that the AWESOME Gecko/Ocarina code to cut XP/AP/SP doesn't work at all in Dolphin. The GeckoCodes people don't help on their forum since they say it's the responsibility of the Dolphin devs to support their codes and I can't find anything useful on the Dolphin forum.

I'd like to use this:

XP/AP/SP Multiplier v2 [dcx2]
* C20A2C10 00000012
* 48000011 3F800000
* 3F800000 3F800000
* C9828198 D981FFF8
* 6C978000 92E1FFFC
* C961FFF8 ED6B6028
* 6CB68000 92C1FFFC
* C941FFF8 ED4A6028
* 6CDA8000 9341FFFC
* C921FFF8 ED296028
* 7D8802A6 C18C0000
* ED6B0332 C18C0004
* ED4A0332 C18C0008
* ED290332 FD60581E
* D961FFF8 82E1FFFC
* FD40501E D941FFF8
* 82C1FFFC FD20481E
* D921FFF8 8341FFFC
* 60000000 00000000
The three 3F800000's at the beginning are the EXP, AP, and SP
multipliers in single-precision floating-point format. 3F800000 =
1.0, 3F000000 = 0.5, 3F333333 = 0.7, 3F400000 = 0.75,
3FC00000 = 1.5 etc

Does anyone know of a Dolphin-compatible code that would accomplish the same thing?

Thrakier

gblues said:
ASUS and Toshiba, or Apple. I know Asus has some decent gaming-class models.

Yeah...whatever. I just wanted to know if those stats are good enough. In the end they have all about the same performance in that price range.

Gvaz

Banned
epmode said:
So I'm about to start a Xenoblade playthrough on Dolphin but I noticed that the AWESOME Gecko/Ocarina code to cut XP/AP/SP doesn't work at all in Dolphin. The GeckoCodes people don't help on their forum since they say it's the responsibility of the Dolphin devs to support their codes and I can't find anything useful on the Dolphin forum.

I'd like to use this:

XP/AP/SP Multiplier v2 [dcx2]
* C20A2C10 00000012
* 48000011 3F800000
* 3F800000 3F800000
* C9828198 D981FFF8
* 6C978000 92E1FFFC
* C961FFF8 ED6B6028
* 6CB68000 92C1FFFC
* C941FFF8 ED4A6028
* 6CDA8000 9341FFFC
* C921FFF8 ED296028
* 7D8802A6 C18C0000
* ED6B0332 C18C0004
* ED4A0332 C18C0008
* ED290332 FD60581E
* D961FFF8 82E1FFFC
* FD40501E D941FFF8
* 82C1FFFC FD20481E
* D921FFF8 8341FFFC
* 60000000 00000000
The three 3F800000's at the beginning are the EXP, AP, and SP
multipliers in single-precision floating-point format. 3F800000 =
1.0, 3F000000 = 0.5, 3F333333 = 0.7, 3F400000 = 0.75,
3FC00000 = 1.5 etc

Does anyone know of a Dolphin-compatible code that would accomplish the same thing?

You don't really want to cut the xp gain. Just don't do quests if it bothers you, quite a bit of them don't become available until much later in the game, and after about 70%~ or so of the game even with quests your level evens out and even has a sort of deficit where you have to quest and grind a bit if you want to do the optional stuff.

If you just want to beat the final boss and be the same level as it, you can skip the endgame optional quests but do all the quests prior and be about the same level at the end.

FreeMufasa

BlackBeetleKing said:
FFCC
ffcc.jpg

GC version?

This game looks gorgeous.

epmode

Gvaz said:
You don't really want to cut the xp gain.
By the time I reached Guar Plains, I was so far above the enemy levels, it just wasn't fun. And I wasn't even doing every quest.

With that code, I can manually set the multiplier. It's been enjoyable so far. And if the game finally balances out, I can always boost the XP gain over 1x.

Sharpening doesn't = High Res. Besides, even if they were, they don't gel with the low poly characters anyway, it's jarring. It looks ok from afar though on the trees etc. in that first shot, however.

Thrakier

Thrakier said:
Hey guys, I want to buy a new notebook, mainly for office but also for some wii emulation. Would one of those two suffice?

This one:
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/621235
HP Pavilion dv6-6002eg (LH770EA)
Core i3-2310M 2x 2.10GHz • 4096MB • 500GB • DVD+/-RW DL • AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024MB • 4x USB (2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0)/Gb LAN/WLAN 802.11bgn • HDMI • 4in1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro) • FingerPrint Reader • Multi-Touch Trackpad • 15.6" WXGA glare LED TFT (1366x768) • Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) • Li-Ionen-Akku (6 Zellen) • 2.90kg

Or this dell:
Dell Vostro 3550, 15,6"-Display (1366x768 Pixel), Core i3-2310M, 4 GiB DDR3-RAM, Radeon HD 6630M with 1024 MiB DDR3-RAM

Running @native resolution?

So...no one can help me with that decision?

Gvaz

Banned
Oh my god those xenoblade images make me want to kill myself.

The game is widescreen, why are you squishing it, what are you doing you crazy person

Gvaz

Banned
Thrakier said:
So...no one can help me with that decision?
I have a laptop with a i7-2630QM (running at 2GHz, I turned all the power saving things off because it was going at 1.4 at max for some reason even though it was rated for 2ghz) and has a quadro 1000m which is less important.

My results was that at 1600x900 it ran Xenoblade pretty poorly but I tested some different settings which fixed it on my home pc so maybe the same results would fix it as well on the laptop. Regardless, I'm going to say no if my mobile i7 had issues, your mobile i3 will have even harder of a time.

I'm thinking I want to play some actual wiimote enabled games on Dolphin (been playing my GC games only) and wondering if there is a solution to my problem. First off I have an iMac so I have bluetooth build in. So all I need is a wireless sensor bar?

Now, my TV is 10m away from my computer, is there any wireless wii sensor bars that will allow me to put the bar at the TV to be processed to the computer? I'm guessing the range might be an issue, any workarounds?

Cheers

Thrakier

Gvaz said:
I have a laptop with a i7-2630QM (running at 2GHz, I turned all the power saving things off because it was going at 1.4 at max for some reason even though it was rated for 2ghz) and has a quadro 1000m which is less important.

My results was that at 1600x900 it ran Xenoblade pretty poorly but I tested some different settings which fixed it on my home pc so maybe the same results would fix it as well on the laptop. Regardless, I'm going to say no if my mobile i7 had issues, your mobile i3 will have even harder of a time.

Ah damn, I don't want to spend more money on my notebook. :( So no wii emulation for me I guess. :/

Sutton Dagger said:
I'm thinking I want to play some actual wiimote enabled games on Dolphin (been playing my GC games only) and wondering if there is a solution to my problem. First off I have an iMac so I have bluetooth build in. So all I need is a wireless sensor bar?

Now, my TV is 10m away from my computer, is there any wireless wii sensor bars that will allow me to put the bar at the TV to be processed to the computer? I'm guessing the range might be an issue, any workarounds?

Cheers
The sensor bar is just an infra red source that the Wiimote camera sees. The only reason you need a wireless one is so you don't have to turn the Wii on to have a wired sensor bar working - for the power. The sensor bar isn't connected to the TV in any fashion.

Corleth the Fey said:
The sensor bar is just an infra red source that the Wiimote camera sees. The only reason you need a wireless one is so you don't have to turn the Wii on to have a wired sensor bar working - for the power. The sensor bar isn't connected to the TV in any fashion.

Wait...I'm confused. I'm talking about using Dolphin on my computer, using a HDMI cable from my computer to my TV (which is 10m away) to mirror the image, and use a wireless sensor bar at the TV. Doesn't the information from the wireless sensor bar have to go the computer for processing? It has to 'connect' to something.

Top Bottom