• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Yes, just overclock that bad boy to 4ghz or so and you should be able to run it at full speed with LLE (needed to fix the audio glitches).

Thrakier

I got a i5 2400 with a 6850 GFX and 8 gig RAM. No option to overclock with my mainboard and boxed cooler. Is it enough to play through SMG2 with shiny graphics? Even if it's not running @60 frames but on...let's say...40?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, I want to play Twilight Princess, Wii version. Any tips or tricks I should be aware of before booting it up?

jediyoshi

nincompoop said:
Why the hell would you disable pointer controls? Is the Wii version even playable without them?
VG40H.jpg

The ingame option. It's so you can use the analog stick to aim instead of the pointer.

senador

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:
Welp, I'm really surprised. I recently got a Macbook pro 13inch and I'm playing Twilight Princess GC on double resolution with almost no dips. It's fantastic. My only complaint is that the widescreen mode makes the water act crazy.

Also, are there any TP texture mods out there? I saw one high res pack, but I'm not really sure on how to get that working.

Wah?

Did you compile/build Dolphin yourself?

When I tried TP on Dolphin Mac it had some problems. I couldn't get the framerate to be steady, but I also had some major issues with faces and shadows. It totally ruined people's faces and shadows just become odd dark splotches.

Gimme details mang!

senador said:
Wah?

Did you compile/build Dolphin yourself?

When I tried TP on Dolphin Mac it had some problems. I couldn't get the framerate to be steady, but I also had some major issues with faces and shadows. It totally ruined people's faces and shadows just become odd dark splotches.

Gimme details mang!

That's not surprising. I had to play around with the settings while running WW, but I got it to work perfectly. Here's what I found out:

settings.png

I don't know too much about these settings, but apparently the ebf copies were killing my ram. I turned off use of actual ram, and turned on the virtual. If anyone can elaborate on what ebf copies means/does, it would be appreciated.

After I did that, Wind Waker ran as smooth as butter. No graphical errors or anything. Same for TP. I'm not sure on what could be causing the shadow glitches, but I'm pretty sure this will fix your framerate.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zeruda no Densetsu Towairaito Purinsesu. Playing through it again because why the fuck not. Forest Temple just finished. Shots downscaled from 1080p.

z2yqlq.jpg

z31qui.jpg

z4ppol.jpg

z1vqx1.jpg

Wow @ that interior shot. Remind me why people complain about TP's textures again? I've been meaning to get around to a TP Dolphin full playthrough, and those shots might just convince me to do it.

EatChildren

Last ones for now. I didn't take any from the inside of the Forest Temple, beyond the boss battle, for reasons beyond me. Oh well.

z1dr0t.jpg

z2iro0.jpg

z3qo7v.jpg

z43ojz.jpg

snesfreak

Banned
I REALLY need to build a new PC, wanna play Zelda in HD so bad.
nincompoop said:
Wow @ that interior shot. Remind me why people complain about TP's textures again? I've been meaning to get around to a TP Dolphin full playthrough, and those shots might just convince me to do it.
Cause they're like straight out of 1996, or something.

Anyone else have issues when using the pointer with the real wiimote? For some reason, I suddenly have to be extremely close to the sensor bar for the pointer to even work. I didn't have this problem when I first used it, but after I changed the IR sensitivity and the Top/bottom options a few times, the pointer basically stopped working properly or at all.

Does Twilight Princess Wii version run any differently than the GC version on Dolphin? Which would be recommended overall? I have the GC version, but wouldn't mind buying the Wii one if it runs or looks slightly better in any way.

Damn, I wish they kept that art style for SS. Just add some better textures and it would be stellar.

scitek

I should be doing hw said:
Does Twilight Princess Wii version run any differently than the GC version on Dolphin? Which would be recommended overall? I have the GC version, but wouldn't mind buying the Wii one if it runs or looks slightly better in any way.

Damn, I wish they kept that art style for SS. Just add some better textures and it would be stellar.

Wii version supports widescreen.

So let me get this straight..

For Twilight Princess I could disable pointer controls then just map waggle to buttons on my PS3 controller and I could play the Wii version through Dolphin without a Wiimote?

peppermints said:
So let me get this straight..

For Twilight Princess I could disable pointer controls then just map waggle to buttons on my PS3 controller and I could play the Wii version through Dolphin without a Wiimote?

Probably. I can't figure it out, but probably.

jediyoshi

peppermints said:

Yes.

senador

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:
That's not surprising. I had to play around with the settings while running WW, but I got it to work perfectly. Here's what I found out:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TheCongressman1/Screenshots/settings.png

I don't know too much about these settings, but apparently the ebf copies were killing my ram. I turned off use of actual ram, and turned on the virtual. If anyone can elaborate on what ebf copies means/does, it would be appreciated.

After I did that, Wind Waker ran as smooth as butter. No graphical errors or anything. Same for TP. I'm not sure on what could be causing the shadow glitches, but I'm pretty sure this will fix your framerate.

What graphics card do you have in your Mac?

I found what is causing my issues. It seems to be Nvidia related. There's a ticket opened on it: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?id=3892

The images in that link are exactly how I see them too. :(

Another one: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?id=4823&q=twilight%20princess

Anyone else experience this?

EatChildren

Fire Temple finished. Had two crashes during that playtime. First was right after finishing the Kakariko Village tears hunt, which made me fume. There's bits and pieces of various Zelda games that annoying me, but that specific tears hunt has always pissed me off. It so unbelievably bland. That made me paranoid so I was saving / save stating like a mother fucker, so the second crash, right before the boss room in the Fire Temple, wasn't bad.

Excuse all the amount of pics (and my photography).

z1ejul.jpg

z2wjw2.jpg

z2ayj1t.jpg

z2bc8vh.jpg

z37jts.jpg

z4lkbl.jpg

z598uo.jpg

z61kpn.jpg

z7ykpi.jpg

z8h89l.jpg

Man Twilight Princess benefits massively from HD. It's a fantastic looking game and easily amongst the GCN's very best.

So much of its beauty is hidden underneath that low res/16bit colour rendering.

BTW, Dolphin still doesn't correctly emulate the depth of field or heat wave effects does it?

EatChildren

Nuclear Muffin said:
BTW, Dolphin still doesn't correctly emulate the depth of field or heat wave effects does it?

I'm not sure why, but the heat distortion hasn't shown up in any of the captures. It's there during gameplay though.

EatChildren said:
I'm not sure why, but the heat distortion hasn't shown up in any of the captures. It's there during gameplay though.

Does it still render the heat wave part of the scene in low res? Or is it working properly now?

I remember people disabling the depth of field effects in Wind Waker because the emulator was rendering those parts in SD. Is that working properly now?

EatChildren

Nuclear Muffin said:
Does it still render the heat wave part of the scene in low res? Or is it working properly now?

I remember people disabling the depth of field effects in Wind Waker because the emulator was rendering those parts in SD. Is that working properly now?

Wind Waker DOP and heat waves are all funky, and I know of no fix. Most people just disable them. Twilight Princess on the other hand, as far as my eyes can tell, looks literally exactly the same as the GCN/Wii build...in HD. All the effects and upscale just as they should. The heat distortion looks lovely, and on individual props (eg: torches) doesn't glitch out at all.

EatChildren said:
Wind Waker DOP and heat waves are all funky, and I know of no fix. Most people just disable them. Twilight Princess on the other hand, as far as my eyes can tell, looks literally exactly the same as the GCN/Wii build...in HD. All the effects and upscale just as they should. The heat distortion looks lovely, and on individual props (eg: torches) doesn't glitch out at all.

Huh, bizzare! I would've thought that the DOF/Heat Wave effects would've been the same in both games considering that TP is built on Wind Waker's engine.

EatChildren said:

What settings are you using? I just gave this a try and my map is just a distorted bunch of different colored pixels, and the bloom effect is off. It looks like its just duplicating the things that have bloom on them.

EatChildren

Shin Johnpv said:
What settings are you using? I just gave this a try and my map is just a distorted bunch of different colored pixels, and the bloom effect is off. It looks like its just duplicating the things that have bloom on them.

You need to use DX9 rendered for the map to work, and set EFB Copies (under hacks) to RAM instead of Texture. That should fix the map.

Bloom I don't know. It's not too bad for me, but its quite temperamental and sometimes does the 'doubling' effect. It never really bothered me though and only seems to happen in some instances.

StevieP

Banned
nincompoop said:

There are moments of "holy shit awesome" in TP in 1080p, but there are also textures that (honestly) look like a muddy shit stain fart. These look even worse when uprendered.

That said, I just recently did the same thing EatChildren did, and Twilight Princess Wii still holds up in many ways. Textures are not one of those ways. It was a GC game through-and-through.

EatChildren said:
You need to use DX9 rendered for the map to work, and set EFB Copies (under hacks) to RAM instead of Texture. That should fix the map.

Bloom I don't know. It's not too bad for me, but its quite temperamental and sometimes does the 'doubling' effect. It never really bothered me though and only seems to happen in some instances.

Sweet that worked, thanks!

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a big noob with this Dolphin stuff, but wouldn't there be a way to disable all that bloom/HDR in Twilight Princess?

It's used waaaaay too much (IMO) in the game...

StevieP said:
There are moments of "holy shit awesome" in TP in 1080p, but there are also textures that (honestly) look like a muddy shit stain fart. These look even worse when uprendered.

That said, I just recently did the same thing EatChildren did, and Twilight Princess Wii still holds up in many ways. Textures are not one of those ways. It was a GC game through-and-through.
You can pick out bad textures in every game from last gen (and hell, most games from this gen too). But there are very few games from last gen which have ANY scenes with textures as sharp as the ones in a few of EatChildren's shots.

Gvaz

Banned
What are you talking about, most of those shots look blurry, some of the textures included.

Also can you play TP with a keyboard mouse? I'd like to use the mouse to aim instead of a controller or w/e

Gvaz said:
What are you talking about, most of those shots look blurry, some of the textures included.

Also can you play TP with a keyboard mouse? I'd like to use the mouse to aim instead of a controller or w/e

Yeah, just change the settings in "Wiimote" to emulated -- click configure -- and under the device section -- click the down arrow and set it to "keyboard and mouse", then make whatever changes you want.

To anyone that was having issues with the pointer (probably just me); make sure you put a check in the box next to "Wiimote Motor". If you don't, the pointer won't work properly when you're using the black wiimote plus.

nincompoop said:
You can pick out bad textures in every game from last gen (and hell, most games from this gen too). But there are very few games from last gen which have ANY scenes with textures as sharp as the ones in a few of EatChildren's shots.
Yeah, even in Xenoblade, it's constantly going back and forth between OMG those textures look better than some HD games, and OMG those textures look like blur.

jediyoshi

StevieP said:

Using that logic, there's theoretically a resolution and screen size that Crysis would look bad at.

jett

D-Member
Why does no one ever post pictures of the Twilight Castle(or whatever it was called, the next to last dungeon)? By far the best looking part of the game. Would like to see how it looks in HD.

Top Bottom