• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Sutton Dagger said:
Wait...I'm confused. I'm talking about using Dolphin on my computer, using a HDMI cable from my computer to my TV (which is 10m away) to mirror the image, and use a wireless sensor bar at the TV. Doesn't the information from the wireless sensor bar have to go the computer for processing? It has to 'connect' to something.
The sensor bar just emits light for the Wii Remote to respond to; it doesn't actually communicate with any part of the Wii. All it needs is to be connected to a power source, so it doesn't matter whether that's a computer or a Wii.

Sutton Dagger said:
Wait...I'm confused. I'm talking about using Dolphin on my computer, using a HDMI cable from my computer to my TV (which is 10m away) to mirror the image, and use a wireless sensor bar at the TV. Doesn't the information from the wireless sensor bar have to go the computer for processing? It has to 'connect' to something.
No. The sensor bar is just a couple of infra red lights. The camera in the Wiimote sees them. The Wiimote will send data to the computer not the sensor. Calling it a sensor is an oxymoron.

See this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1vQFchFr_Q

Corleth the Fey said:
No. The sensor bar is just a couple of infra red lights. The camera in the Wiimote sees them. The Wiimote will send data to the computer not the sensor. Calling it a sensor is an oxymoron.

See this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1vQFchFr_Q

Ah ok, cool didn't know that. The issue will still essentially be the same though, will the Wiimote be able to transmit the data to a computer 10m away? I'm worried that the distance is too great.

Sutton Dagger said:
Ah ok, cool didn't know that. The issue will still essentially be the same though, will the Wiimote be able to transmit the data to a computer 10m away? I'm worried that the distance is too great.
Sure, 10m should be fine.

SecretMoblin said:
Sure, 10m should be fine.

Do you do something similar yourself? I can't find any information about its range so I'm a little worried.

Also, which sensor bar should I get, there are like 5 different types on dealsextreme?

Sutton Dagger said:
Do you do something similar yourself? I can't find any information about its range so I'm a little worried.

Also, which sensor bar should I get, there are like 5 different types on dealsextreme?
Yeah, I've had it work successfully for up to about 25m before it gets weird, and I've tried it with a few different friends using various setups and 10m has definitely been in range of all of them.

Any sensor should be fine. As they often say, you could theoretically use candles as a "sensor bar". As long as it gives off light that the Wii Remote can detect, you should be good to go.

SecretMoblin said:
Yeah, I've had it work successfully for up to about 25m before it gets weird, and I've tried it with a few different friends using various setups and 10m has definitely been in range of all of them.

Any sensor should be fine. As they often say, you could theoretically use candles as a "sensor bar". As long as it gives off light that the Wii Remote can detect, you should be good to go.

Awesome, thanks for the help. Just ordered one now for $5, it will be interesting to try it on the TV.

reektann

Has anybody else has this weird occurring issue with Xenoblade - when I use DX11 shader the waterfalls etc don't animate.. DX9 does?

Curious if anybody else has seen this.

Gvaz

Banned
reektann said:
Has anybody else has this weird occurring issue with Xenoblade - when I use DX11 shader the waterfalls etc don't animate.. DX9 does?

Curious if anybody else has seen this.
DX11 shader is less compatible as a whole and slower, DX9 is faster and more compatible.

Is r7714 still the best compatible build for Xenoblade? I cribbed settings from a Gaffer a few pages back, and the game for the most part runs perfectly. Only now and then does the audio start glitching and I need to reboot. However, I still have had a few complete crashes which I could do without that looming over my playthrough.

Gvaz

Banned
7719m is fine, and there's another build I like:

https://sites.google.com/site/ryancollinsdolphinbuilds/builds

the latest git revision

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gvaz said:
I have a laptop with a i7-2630QM (running at 2GHz, I turned all the power saving things off because it was going at 1.4 at max for some reason even though it was rated for 2ghz) and has a quadro 1000m which is less important.

My results was that at 1600x900 it ran Xenoblade pretty poorly but I tested some different settings which fixed it on my home pc so maybe the same results would fix it as well on the laptop. Regardless, I'm going to say no if my mobile i7 had issues, your mobile i3 will have even harder of a time.
2Ghz? It wasn't running 2.9Ghz for Turbo on 2 cores for Dolphin?
Thrakier said:
So...ordered my notebook. Is there a way to test/benchmark how games would run before I invest the money towards games/wii?
You are not going to get good performance unless you dropped some coin on the CPU.

Thrakier

Hazaro said:
You are not going to get good performance unless you dropped some coin on the CPU.

IDK. It's one of the newer sandy bridge CPUs, it's supposed to be on par with a Core duo @ 3GHz. Regarding gaming benchmarks it made no difference if it was a i3 or a i7, it was always the GFX card which was the limiting factor. However I know that emulating is heavier on the CPU.So if you suggest it's not even worth trying it, then I'll just let it go. I'd be satisfied with native resolution and a bit of AF/FSAA. It doesn't need to be maxed out settings.

EDIT:

User from dolphin forusm:
i3: Sandy Bridge (SB) is about 400Mhz faster than old i series , i3 2310m is on par with i5 430m : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-2310M-Notebook-Processor.45318.0.html

So it's possible to run the Wii games off from the disc, right? Or did I read that wrong (I read it in a tutorial from another site)?

I just hope my computer is good enough to run this stuff. I've been playing Twilight Princess on and off the last week, but it's unbearable playing it on the Wii with an HD TV (even with component cables).

Gvaz

Banned
Hazaro said:
2Ghz? It wasn't running 2.9Ghz for Turbo on 2 cores for Dolphin?

Nope, I was running it with default bios settings (no turbo option) and it would max out at 1.4 regardless of the options.

I shut the power saving shit off and it now alternates between 800mhz and 2ghz depending on usage.

aeolist

Banned
Just started trying to get this running today and it hangs 100% of the time right when I try to load a game.

Tried 4 different versions, updated video drivers, reinstalled .Net, Visual Studio runtime, and DirectX with no results.

Official forums are crap.

Gvaz

Banned
What settings are you using? I forget right now but usually that's because your settings are wrong, at least for me that's what'd happen

aeolist

Banned
Tried the defaults, then tried everything safest according to the prompts. Same problem every time, it opens a second window that's just a grey square with "Clearing code cache" in the titlebar, then 2 seconds later the program crashes.

aeolist

Banned
Just noticed that it's populating an error log in the emu folder with this:

Unhandled Exception
Code: 0xE06D7363
Call stack info:
0xFDC8CACD : ?
0x0CB2F630 : ?
Dolphin!0x01352A19 : ?

Googling this did not help

senador

Banned
I'm sure this has been discussed, if so can someone point me towards it?

Anyone here running Dolphin on Mac in Bootcamp? If so, what version of Windows and build of Dolphin work best?

Having a problem with my right analog stick in Dolphin. I've got my dualshock3 hooked up using Motioninjoy. The left analog stick and all the buttons work fine. I've tested out the right analog stick in PCSX2 and it calibrate and input fine on that. When I try and input it on dolphin, the box will show it going to the bottom left corner and the top right corner only. Any fixes for this?

EDIT: Ah, I figured it out. I guess I just needed to set Motioninjoy to PS2 instead of PS3. Weird. Works mostly perfect now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, how does Re4 on dolphin compares to Re4 HD for Ps3? I tried it on my setup and it ran very good (i7 2600k) but might buy the Ps3 version if that runs better. Also, is there any difference on emulation between the Wii and GC versions? I own the GC sku, but I might go for the Wii one (over the PSN's) if its worth it.

Lonely1 said:
So, how does Re4 on dolphin compares to Re4 HD for Ps3? I tried it on my setup and it ran very good (i7 2600k) but might buy the Ps3 version if that runs better. Also, is there any difference on emulation between the Wii and GC versions? I own the GC sku, but I might go for the Wii one (over the PSN's) if its worth it.

I posted this in the RE4HD thread:

I have the 360 version, not the PS3, but I can tell you that, if you have the PC to run it, the Dolphin version is the best graphically, no question. This HD version is a great resolution bump, and looks oh-so-much better than the older ones, but it's nothing more than that. On Dolphin, you can bump the resolution further, add filtering and AA, customize your controls, and even use a Wii remote if you're into that. But with that comes all the baggage that emulation brings: tweaking the configuration, finding the right build, and so on. RE4 still has a couple of sound bugs in Dolphin; the music tends to stop and never come back until you load a new area, and at random times, it does this loud, incessant buzzing sort of noise. That's the real killer - it's intolerable. On 3 PCs and at least a dozen builds (even ones that supposedly run RE4 perfectly), I've never managed to make it go away, even though it's not a recognized issue like the music.

On that topic, if anyone has experience the insane buzzing problem and fixed it, help me out! Thanks.

CubeHands

Banned
Hello all, first post so forgive me if you are sick of XC images running on Dolphin, its just those incorrect aspect ratio shots further back in the thread are making ME sick, so here are a few 1080p caps I did of the Intro to show just how good XC looks on Dolphin.

I actually stopped playing on the Wii, took the disc out, ripped it and started again on the Dolphin, it's beautiful in places :D

Enjoy.

166OZ.jpg

xZRno.jpg

T2T5O.jpg

9S7DK.jpg

Gvaz

Banned
CubeHands said:
I actually stopped playing on the Wii, took the disc out, ripped it and started again on the Dolphin, it's beautiful in places :D
You know you can transfer your save to dolphin?

Can you also easily transfer saves off Dolphin to console?

I'd imagine this might not be possible w/out some kind of save transfer device for GC stuff, but is there a way to put a Dolphin's wii save on an SD card and then put that on your Wii?

My CPU is just a Phenom II X3 720, OC'd to 3.1 (I only have stock fans) so many games I've tried don't work full speed. Therefore, I have some games that I started on Dolphin and may end up finishing on my Wii instead.

alf717

I have a question that isn't really dolphin based but was hoping someone could help me out. I just got an ASUS BT211 and my Wii remote works great and Dolphin finds it in a snap but I was wondering can I use the Wii remote for more than just Dolphin? I was hoping to setup my Wii remote with a classic controller and use it to game with other games? Is this possible?

alf717 said:
I have a question that isn't really dolphin based but was hoping someone could help me out. I just got an ASUS BT211 and my Wii remote works great and Dolphin finds it in a snap but I was wondering can I use the Wii remote for more than just Dolphin? I was hoping to setup my Wii remote with a classic controller and use it to game with other games? Is this possible?
There's apparently some software called GlovePIE that lets you remap stuff to the Wiimote for general use, but I was too dumb to figure out how to get it to work.

alf717

nincompoop said:
There's apparently some software called GlovePIE that lets you remap stuff to the Wiimote for general use, but I was too dumb to figure out how to get it to work.

I found this same program and it made my mind explode. I thought this would be easier but I might just opt in for a PS3 pad and use motionjoy. Problem is accessories this gen are too expensive.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Leondexter said:
On that topic, if anyone has experience the insane buzzing problem and fixed it, help me out! Thanks.
LLE recompiler. Runs a lot slower, but it pretty much fixes all audio anomalies. It's really the only solution.

Welp, I'm really surprised. I recently got a Macbook pro 13inch and I'm playing Twilight Princess GC on double resolution with almost no dips. It's fantastic. My only complaint is that the widescreen mode makes the water act crazy.

Also, are there any TP texture mods out there? I saw one high res pack, but I'm not really sure on how to get that working.

Seik

Banned
TheCongressman1 said:
Welp, I'm really surprised. I recently got a Macbook pro 13inch and I'm playing Twilight Princess GC on double resolution with almost no dips. It's fantastic. My only complaint is that the widescreen mode makes the water act crazy.

Also, are there any TP texture mods out there? I saw one high res pack, but I'm not really sure on how to get that working.

The only right way if you absolutely want to play Twilight Princess in widescreen is to play the Wii version on Dolphin. I tried many times with the GC version but there's always some graphical glitches here and there, so I'll stick with the Wii's edition.

I'd like to add for the thread that RE4 Wii Edition is looking and running perfect! :D

Medalion said:
I don't fancy the idea of gaming much on this Macbook, the slightest bit of processor strain the Fan in it gets very very loud

I read a bunch of stuff about that before I got it, but it's actually a bit more quiet than my last laptop. I guess people just want dead silence when they are computing, haha. It would be nice, but it doesn't bother me.

Seik said:
The only right way if you absolutely want to play Twilight Princess in widescreen is to play the Wii version on Dolphin. I tried many times with the GC version but there's always some graphical glitches here and there, so I'll stick with the Wii's edition.

I was going to go with the Wii version, but I figured that the controls might be an issue. I've played around with the Darwiin utility, but I can't seem to get it to work right. Any advice?

dani_dc

AdawgDaFAB said:
Can you also easily transfer saves off Dolphin to console?

I'd imagine this might not be possible w/out some kind of save transfer device for GC stuff, but is there a way to put a Dolphin's wii save on an SD card and then put that on your Wii?

My CPU is just a Phenom II X3 720, OC'd to 3.1 (I only have stock fans) so many games I've tried don't work full speed. Therefore, I have some games that I started on Dolphin and may end up finishing on my Wii instead.

You should be able, though some Wii games are non-transferable (such as SSBB) so you might have to use some spefic homebrew to transfer those saves (such as SaveGame Manager GX).

You can also transfer the saves for GC but those are a bit more iffy. From my experience with various homebrew software if you're using official memory cards the recognition of said cards will only work in random and rare occasions.

These are the programs I tried using to rip off my saves, they should also allow for transfering games to the GC memory card, just don't expect them to work all that often if you're using official memory card.

Do keep in mind that protected GC saves (such as F-zero GX) won't work as they only work in the memory card that they were created on (unless you previously dumped the saves from the memory card and are now transfering them back to the same memory card, that might work though I havent' tested it myself and I don't think that's the situation you're in anyway) and that wasn't formated since the save was created .

Thanks for the info.
If I'm just doing it normally, what would I need to do in order to transfer my Wii save from Dolphin to Wii?
Is there a way to boot into the Wii system menu and transfer them that way, or do I just grab the files from whatever folder the saves are kept in?

jediyoshi

TheCongressman1 said:
I was going to go with the Wii version, but I figured that the controls might be an issue. I've played around with the Darwiin utility, but I can't seem to get it to work right. Any advice?

The controls aren't an issue. Once you disable pointer controls ingame, the only thing left motion related is shaking which you can bind through Dolphin.

jediyoshi said:
The controls aren't an issue. Once you disable pointer controls ingame, the only thing left motion related is shaking which you can bind through Dolphin.
Why the hell would you disable pointer controls? Is the Wii version even playable without them?

canocha

Hi,

I bought this:
  • Intel Core i5 2500K (Unlocked) 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) 6MB BOX
  • Msi Z68A-GD65 Intel Z68 (GEN3) SK1155
  • Corsair Vengeance 2x4096MB (8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CAS9 1.5V
  • Msi GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr II/OC 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E

Is it enough to run games like Super Mario Galaxy at full speed?

I have a Wii but it makes my eyes bleed... (my Tv sucks anyway!)

Top Bottom